griffinz

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

Well I bought ARMA2 to play dayz, looks like i'll have to do that again if it's the same engine. Bohemia should give Dean etc access to the newest engine. If they don't, they can f-off.

I hope you are trolling.

I hope they transfer the swimming and ocean mechanics from arma3. Would be quite fun to be swimming around for loot in downed aircrafts/ships, just to have a random zombie lurking around in the wreckage

I hope they transfer the swimming and ocean mechanics from arma3. Would be quite fun to be swimming around for loot in downed aircrafts/ships, just to have a random zombie lurking around in the wreckage
by gods name they better. The arma 2 water is too dangerous for the sane mind. Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

just an idea for the standalone game, beanbag rounds maybe, stun the opposing player after 3 or 4 hits rather than killing other players maybe even being able to come up behind someone and knock them out or even a mele bf3 style when u find a hunting knife

Can't wait for this!

Hopefully this will be released soon so I can get it ASAP.

I really do hope it get's rid of all the Hackers with the better game engine.

just an idea for the standalone game, beanbag rounds maybe, stun the opposing player after 3 or 4 hits rather than killing other players maybe even being able to come up behind someone and knock them out or even a mele bf3 style when u find a hunting knife

Or perhaps, come up behind someone and chloroform them?

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96474-dayz-redux-dayz-purist-focused-custom-dayz-mod-formerly-dayz-diaf/

I completely agree. Hackers are the number one reason why I don't play DayZ as much as I would like. I get so frustrated after working hard to get some good gear, then a hacker teleports to me, or teleports me somewhere and kills me. It causes me to stop playing for a while sometimes.

I've seen a lot of wishes to have winter time chernarus at some point. And I too think it would be nice, but wouldn't it either be hurtful to the story or change the game genre? Why I think this is because the zombies aren't dead, but people infected with a virus (unless I've missed something big). So they still have atleast the basic bodily functions. And so.. they would freeze to death. No mindless eating-machine can survive those harsh russian winters, coldest days going down below -60 Celcius. After the first cold days Chernarus would be zombie free. Even those that stayed indoors would die of hunger before spring. DayZ would no longer be about zombie survival but post-apocalyptic survival. Ofcourse they could say the virus makes the zombies produce some kind of antifreeze in their blood but that would be silly and unrealistic?

I've seen a lot of wishes to have winter time chernarus at some point. And I too think it would be nice, but wouldn't it either be hurtful to the story or change the game genre? Why I think this is because the zombies aren't dead, but people infected with a virus (unless I've missed something big). So they still have atleast the basic bodily functions. And so.. they would freeze to death. No mindless eating-machine can survive those harsh russian winters, coldest days going down below -60 Celcius. After the first cold days Chernarus would be zombie free. Even those that stayed indoors would die of hunger before spring. DayZ would no longer be about zombie survival but post-apocalyptic survival. Ofcourse they could say the virus makes the zombies produce some kind of antifreeze in their blood but that would be silly and unrealistic?

Correct, but in what way are zombies more realistic than zombies with antifreeze in their blood? We have never encountered a real life zombie so we can only fill up the term "zombie" with our own imagination

Harsh Russian winters are synonymous with large concentrations of Vodka in the bloodstream, so your premise fails - but I agree with the logic of it.

edit: actually in Chernarus, it's Jack Daniels - I haven't found a full bottle yet.

Edited by Highspiral

Correct, but in what way are zombies more realistic than zombies with antifreeze in their blood? We have never encountered a real life zombie so we can only fill up the term "zombie" with our own imagination

Let's not get silly with it though, I much prefer the hard sci-fi angle. If there is some way that a virus could create antifreeze then that might be interesting. It might have evolved that to protect itself and infect more people.

• Like 1

In world war Z, zombies would freeze then defrost when the tempreture wasn't so high. I could imagine zombies slugging around in clear snow weather, then having frozen bodies in a snow storm

I might be wrong about many things here and please someone correct me if it so but I under the impression that Chernarus is more based on chech republic than Russia. I live in Finland and we have max -20 to -30 celsius degrees in the winter (ok in the northern parts maybe -45 on couple of days). Chech is way south of here so I would assume it isn't even as cold there as it is here. Cold enough for snow though propably. :)

Following footprints and bloodtrails in snow! Epicness it would be!! :D

"believable" would have been a better word to use now that I think of it

I might be wrong about many things here and please someone correct me if it so but I under the impression that Chernarus is more based on chech republic than Russia. I live in Finland and we have max -20 to -30 celsius degrees in the winter (ok in the northern parts maybe -45 on couple of days). Chech is way south of here so I would assume it isn't even as cold there as it is here. Cold enough for snow though propably. :)

Following footprints and bloodtrails in snow! Epicness it would be!! :D

Anything few degrees below zero is enough to freeze a person to death. Even when temperatures are on the plus side you can get hypothermia and die if you don't know how to take care of yourself Edited by Karlhu

And once the body has frozen its dead, no virus can bring it back to life after the water in your cells freezes it will destroy the cells.s

And once the body has frozen its dead, no virus can bring it back to life after the water in your cells freezes it will destroy the cells.s

tell that to a spider or flys, after u freeze them and thaw them out.

tell that to a spider or flys, after u freeze them and thaw them out.

In humans the water in your cells freezes, and destroys the cells, much like an icicle to the stomach could kill you. I also think it expands the cells too.

Seriously guys... WTF ?!

Why does everyone try to bring up the fact that infected/zombies would die in winter? besides the ludicrous point of arguing medical science and physics on a subject like zombies?

better yet... think of this...

Now if there was an infection, not everyone would be infected on day 1. additionally survivor groups are going to be compromised and they themselves "turn".

How about we agree...

Snow would be cool for the simple fact it would be a useful tracking tool. the game actually already has many of these features, I'm certain many don't notice tire treads on road, footprints across pavement and various other features. if i was running thru the woods and I came across a fresh track I would be presented with a choice. one of the many reasons I like this game. how impacting all our choices can be. do i take more food or more ammo? do i carry a spare gun in my pack?

Finally...

Snow doesn't have to cover the ENTIRE map. just the hills and higher mountain regions. This would force people in ghillies to say "OH CRAP" I can't camp this hill !!!

"believable" would have been a better word to use now that I think of it

Anything few degrees below zero is enough to freeze a person to death. Even when temperatures are on the plus side you can get hypothermia and die if you don't know how to take care of yourself

This is very true. I was just trying to make a point that -60 is a bit overkill, because theres a huge difference in the lethality of -60 to -2. :)

Though I remember reading a couple of years about a guy in Russia who fell trough ice in to water and almost died of hypothermia and as a result his body chemistry somehow changed and he had a lower body temperature after that. He even had to keep room temperature around 10 degrees after that. I know lots of people who are normal after falling in to water in the winter though. :) But if this can happen in RL, I can believe that a zombie infection virus in a game can make the survive a bit of frost. :)

Edited by Hernerokka

Seriously guys... WTF ?!

Why does everyone try to bring up the fact that infected/zombies would die in winter? besides the ludicrous point of arguing medical science and physics on a subject like zombies?

better yet... think of this...

Now if there was an infection, not everyone would be infected on day 1. additionally survivor groups are going to be compromised and they themselves "turn".

How about we agree...

Snow would be cool for the simple fact it would be a useful tracking tool. the game actually already has many of these features, I'm certain many don't notice tire treads on road, footprints across pavement and various other features. if i was running thru the woods and I came across a fresh track I would be presented with a choice. one of the many reasons I like this game. how impacting all our choices can be. do i take more food or more ammo? do i carry a spare gun in my pack?

Finally...

Snow doesn't have to cover the ENTIRE map. just the hills and higher mountain regions. This would force people in ghillies to say "OH CRAP" I can't camp this hill !!!

You doesnt seem to know that:

- "zombies" in this game are NORMAL humans, only with virus that makes the rageroll around the chernarus?

This is why we are saying that they woudnt last winter.

- Suvivors are immune and they cant become one of those infected.

Interesting non related stuff with the freezing is the cases that someone had fell through ice and "died" after warming up came back to life. Something doing with their head freezing first and shutting body down, somekind of "stasis". Remeber one case with skier, got stuck from her/his skies to the openin in ice and wasnt fully submerged and this happened to her/him. And ofc he didnt freeze to the level that the cells would get too damaged.

Edited by Zeppa

Seriously guys... WTF ?!

Because rocket has taken the hard science road in dayz having his brother, a virologist, working on the background story to make it believable. I doubt he would see all that trouble just to throw it all away for a winter map.

This is very true. I was just trying to make a point that -60 is a bit overkill, because theres a huge difference in the lethality of -60 to -2. :)

yea, maybe a little. :P But if the zombies roam around in the snow in their wet clothes, not knowing how to get warm and dry, the outcome is the same Edited by Karlhu

[...]

- Suvivors are immune and they cant become one of those infected.

[...]

Is this true? I was once on my way joining a group and one of the group members looked like shit... told him so and he claimed that he was infected about last week and now starts to look quite ill and will look even worse in near future.

Was that just some custom skin he made (and so: did he trick me with that) or is it possible to get infected? What is the consequence if beeing infected? Just looking ill or will an infected person turn to a zombie (and so die within the game?)

I was under the impression that the game was simulating a perpetual Day Zero where the populace has only just been infected and you awake on the beach wondering what the hell happened.

Hopefully Rocket will implement a more blurred line between those infected and the survivors. Have some survivor skin infected, and injured survivors limp similar to the zombies to add confusion as to who is a zombie or not. This means you'll have people who have only just transitioned to being a zombie and so wouldn't have died from the cold.