ripbabyg@hotmail.co.uk

DayZ Development Blog #1: The end of the beginning

Think of it this way Jobe: If those people hadn't bought the game in the last month, DayZ may not be going standalone at this point. It's precisely BECAUSE people forked out that cash that we'll get a new and improved DayZ. I, for one, paid $20 for this and would pay another $20 if I knew it would make the standalone better.

Sometimes it's worth a few bucks to be a part of something unique, ya know?

• Like 3

So I'm guessing that, with Bohemia Interactive developing this, it is going to be on the Arma 2 or 3 engine?

I'm just wondering because there has been a bit of speculation lately over, if DayZ was standalone, would it use its own, customized engine.

By being a standalone, DayZ can change the engine to it's own needs.

DayZ no longer have to worry about breaking regular ArmA mechanics, while fixing DayZ mechanics.

Can someone explain what will happen here then?

I've bought A2 & OA to play DayZ... If they go standalone, will the Alpha get released separately at a cost?

The minecraft model: If you buy the first buggy build, you get it for 9-15 bucks, price increases at every update, when game is complete, you'll have to pay full price. When I bought my Mount & Blade alpha-key I paid $11, when the full game shipped for $30-40, I could still use my $11 key.

Edited by Dallas

If rocket is wanting to add underground base's that can be extended that are instanced and all them other things, can the Arma 3 engine realistically support that? that's the question really, the things he wants to add are quite out there. So you can have 5 people raid your underground base while you are in there, it would be fucking amazing but can the Engine support that, or would a different engine be the better option?

Your understanding of game engines doesn't seem to be well enough versed to make an educated assessment of what engine DayZ should use. If you've payed attention to what rocket has said in multiple interviews you'll have noted how extensible he says the arma engine is. Also I'm under the impression the arma 3 engine is the arma 2 engine with major upgrades and overhals and not a new engine built from scratch (someone correct me if I'm wrong with a source) If this is the case that would prove that the arma 2 engine is very versatile, extensible, and most certainly able to be made to work with all the features that he said he wants to add as what other reason would he have to suggest these ideas publicly if the engine hes been working with for so long couldn't be made to handle it.

lol at the guys wanting a discount. This is not the Welfare office. <_<

Can someone explain what will happen here then?

I've bought A2 & OA to play DayZ... If they go standalone, will the Alpha get released separately at a cost?

This is really good news for everybody.. Except for people who are in my situation: I have postponed the buying of Arma 2 & Day Z to the day after my final exam (30 august). I've been really looking forward to playing the game (I did not buy it because I know I'd be hooked and would mess up my study schedule)..

Now 2 options:

-buying arma 2 & play day after 30 august & afterwards buy alpha

-wait longer and buy alpha

GODDAMIT!!

"The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price."

Jeez, don't you people read?

Edited by Anton17

Great news it will be interesting to see how they develope the game !

Rocket said if he went stand-alone he would want it released this year, try and find the interview for you, he will probably release it as he said heavily discounted in Alpha stage, then beta the price will increase and when retail is launched the price will be like 30 dollars.

Edit, guy before me beat me to it with the price thing.

Edited by Authentic92

what ever they plan charging i'm paying just hoping for some anti cheat even it adds to over all price of the game.

"The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price."

Yeah I read that, you're right. I'll just buy arma 2 aswell.

Yeah I read that, you're right. I'll just buy arma 2 aswell.

Ain't gonna regret it. As long as there's players this mod will be going for a long time.

I'm hoping some sort of discount will be in order if you actually own ARMA II CO or ARMA II and OA. Good to see it happen tough :)

let me quote "Development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game, so anyone who is playing the mod now will be able to continue to do so. "

Edited by LawsOfFire

I wonder if Rocket will allow the modding community to mod the game, as they can with minecraft.

Ah-ha-ha-hem?

You do realise it was that thinking with Arma that left us with a HUGE GAPING EXPLOIT HOLE FOR HACKERS?

You know, that sort of huge issue in the present mod?

I wonder if Rocket will allow the modding community to mod the game, as they can with minecraft.

The great thing about ArmA is you can mod it like crazy, to such an extent you can create something as awesome as DayZ.

Hopefully the great thing about the standalone is you probably wont be able to mod it like crazy, making it harder for hackers.

Edited by Dallas

Ah-ha-ha-hem?

You do realise it was that thinking with Arma that left us with a HUGE GAPING EXPLOIT HOLE FOR HACKERS?

The great thing about ArmA is you can mod it like crazy, to such an extent you can create something as awesome as DayZ.

Hopefully the great thing about the standalone is you probably wont be able to mod it like crazy, making it easy for hackers.

Rocket can curve it though so script kiddies can not destroy entire servers, or he could just create a tool pack we can use to create things and then implement them into our own personal servers.

Edited by Authentic92
  • Like 1

Rocket can curve it though so script kiddies can not destroy entire servers, or he could just create a tool pack we can use to create things and then implement them into our own personal servers.

I have severe doubts.

Also, to be faithful, Rocket seems to have distinct ideas on what is to be implemented, the community is merely subjected to democratic decisions on matters that are trivial or plainly bad. I think now he's got the chance to go big-time, he'll be doing it his way. As the mod stands, even as it is right now... I don't think I'd need mods.

A couple more maps, sure. Who wants more maps? I do! I do!

Ah-ha-ha-hem?

You're... quite stupid. See the Source engine. Want to know why it's not polluted with "hackers" and skiddies? Their anti-cheat actually works and well, they actually put some thought into how scripting is used.

I hope that rocket expands the map. Like having another large island or country or something like that.

You're... quite stupid. See the Source engine. Want to know why it's not polluted with "hackers" and skiddies? Their anti-cheat actually works and well, they actually put some thought into how scripting is used.

Me, stupid? You're comparing Bohemia Interactive with VALVE.

Okay then...

Yes I can read... But I also don't play Minecraft or followed it's development model hence me asking what exactly does this mean for the everyday user...

I'm hoping some sort of discount will be in order if you actually own ARMA II CO or ARMA II and OA. Good to see it happen tough :)

You won't have to pay for the damn game if you have ArmA 2. You will get the updates at no charges.