ripbabyg@hotmail.co.uk

DayZ Development Blog #1: The end of the beginning

It's already on the ArmA2 engine. There are a million people with ArmA2/DayZ and now they will have to buy another game just to play DayZ.

I'm sorry but if you're not going to be able to afford a simple 10 bux on the standalone alpha/beta (guessing the discounted price) I think it's time to either consider budgeting efficiently or getting a new job. I could still afford that when I had a part time job while paying for college.

I don't see how this is going to be impossible or burdensome for someone. Games need to be paid for in order to have fun. There is no entitlement here.

It does. Rocket has been in talks with BI and several other large corporations on whom to partner up with to make DayZ. We all know Rocket is most familiar with Arma 2's engine, and working on it will make a quicker and easier release for him and us than going to another company for another engine.

Understandable, but what has me worried is if BiS decides to go EA and take Dayz from rocket and turn it into shit. ( Not saying it will happen ) just stating my concerns.

The fact that he is the lead Designer, with BI behind him, makes me very very excited.

In fact, I believe I just pitched a tent.

Don't put anything inside, or it might get lost at server restart.

• Like 2

To those in this thread genuinely celebrating this news: Hats off to you good gentlemen!

To those in this thread debating pointlessly about sources and known facts: STFU, aren't you thankful?

To Rocket: STFU and take my money!!!!

The fact that he is the lead Designer, with BI behind him, makes me very very excited.

In fact, I believe I just pitched a tent.

Got any stuff in it? I need food.

Where does it say it will be on the Arma 3 engine?

It was in the "Common Sense Weekly" newsletter.

I'm sorry but if you're not going to be able to afford a simple 10 bux on the standalone alpha/beta (guessing the discounted price) I think it's time to either consider budgeting efficiently or getting a new job. I could still afford that when I had a part time job while paying for college.

I don't see how this is going to be impossible or burdensome for someone. Games need to be paid for in order to have fun. There is no entitlement here.

People bought ArmA2 to play DayZ; they expect DayZ to be completed. They aren't going to be so happy during the next few months if the updates stop coming out and the hackers keep increasing. By the time DayZ standalone comes out, many people won't look at it too kindly.

It was in the "Common Sense Weekly" newsletter.

Where can we subscribe to that?

I like the look and gritty feel of the older engine. The atmosphere feels more desparate.

I like this look too, but the Arma 3 engine looks very promising and I'm sure emulating this "grainy" aspect will be possible. I can't wait to explore underground and sub-marine places filled with Zs...

Love this:

The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price.

Honestly, I think this is brilliant. Okay, so the Arma engine has its flaws (hopefully they'll use Arma 3's engine) but it gives a feel to the game that no other engine could. Think of DayZ in CryEngine... It would not be anywhere near the same game. Hopefully the fact that DayZ will be standalone also means the core engine code can be adjusted, preventing people from running scripts etc.

To people moaning about having to buy another game: I GUARANTEE you will buy this during its alpha stage. I mean, they're using the Minecraft model which was, what, £5 - £10 in alpha? Please, just TRY and tell me you won't pay that much for a full DayZ game. If you won't, then please get a job.

Edited by nfsmwbefast

Great news and congrats to Rocket.

To me it makes most sense to go with BIS. Interesting to see that one of Bohemia's main devs will be on the team too (Suma).

You guys need to stop thinking/saying it will be on the "Arma# engine". it will be on the RV(Real Virtuality) engine, that is the name of the engine that BIS develops.

It is used for many things:

VBS - Virtual battle space = training system for and used by military forces around the world.

Take On Helicopters = A helicopter Flight "sim"

Arma = this one I think we all know :)

You have to remember that many of the "bugs" and problems that are in DayZ right now are caused by the Arma engine...but that is only because they are making Arma do things it was never intended to do.

Just beacuse it is now using the same base engine for a stand alone game doesn't mean the same problems will remain.

They will be starting from scratch as far a mechanics and features go and will be very easily able to make things work as they should as they can change the core mechanics at will.

To me it was a no brainer to go with BIS and use the Real Virtuality engine, The main reason for this being Terrain size. No other engine can provide this experience or scale.

Congrats again Rocket and BIS!

Edited by SeanOfTheDead
  • Like 1

People bought ArmA2 to play DayZ; they expect DayZ to be completed. They aren't going to be so happy during the next few months if the updates stop coming out and the hackers keep increasing. By the time DayZ standalone comes out, many people won't look at it too kindly.

I did just that and knew this was a free mod. Rocket owes you nothing in terms of compensation for buying arma 2. You did not pay into the mod at all.

I'm looking at this very kindly. I won't be mad. The hacking will never stop. Please read the forums more if you're going to make these wild accusations how this will look bad.

Rocket cannot do anymore in terms of security with the mod. If I was him, I'd roll out this last patch and then devote time to standalone.

Don't be selfish now- you knew this was coming.

If Arma 3 wasn't explicitly mentioned, I don't know why people are assuming it will be on Arma 3.

Because it's the only engine that makes any sense whatsoever?

Bohemia is developing the game. They have two game engines to choose from: ARMA 2 and ARMA 3.

ARMA 2 is a four-year-old, aging and outmoded engine which they are already in the process of replacing and would have to continue to support for years to come if DayZ were based upon it.

ARMA 3 is about to launch as a brand-spanking new engine.

Which do you think they're going to pick?

More to the point, if DayZ were not going to be based on ARMA 3, why would rocket be waiting until later this year to go stand-alone? He could literally branch the ARMA 2 code today and release a stand-alone by the end of the week.

Again... "Common Sense Weekly" newsletter.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

You guys need to stop thinking/saying it will be on the "Arma# engine". it will be on the RV(Real Virtuality) engine, that is the name of the engine that BIS develops.

ARMA and ARMA 2 are based on RV3. ARMA 3 will be based on RV4. So, yes, DayZ will be based on RV but since ARMA 3 is the only game right now using RV4 that's more or less equivalent to saying it will be based on the "ARMA 3 engine."

And still correct to say it will not be based on ARMA 2, as that would tie it to RV3 which would be folly.

Bohemia is developing the game. They have two game engines to choose from: ARMA 2 and ARMA 3.

ARMA 2 is a four-year-old, aging and outmoded engine which they are already in the process of replacing and would have to continue to support for years to come if DayZ were based upon it.

More to the point, if DayZ were not going to be based on ARMA 3, why would rocket be waiting until later this year to go stand-alone? He could literally branch the ARMA 2 code today and release a stand-alone by the end of the week.

It's going to take a lot longer than 4 months to turn this alpha mod into an alpha release on a completely new engine.

Why would it take so long to release on the Arma 2 engine? Gee, I don't know. Because the game is buggy as hell, the graphics and animations need a ton of work, and hackers are ruining everything?

Edited by drmantistoboggan

If Arma 3 wasn't explicitly mentioned, I don't know why people are assuming it will be on Arma 3.

List of available engines from developing studio(BIS)

- Real virtuality 4 (Arma 3)

People bought a GAME, to play a MOD in ALPHA stage.You did receive a full game which you bought (arma 2), you did NOT buy a MOD and so are not entitled to anything. Get it? or should i draw it?

I would give people like you the standalone game for a 200% increased price, just for lulz.

It's going to take a lot longer than 4 months to turn this alpha mod into a fully-polished, full on release on a completely new engine.

It's not a completely new engine. ARMA 3 shares a common ancestor with ARMA 2 and rocket has already confirmed DayZ runs on ARMA 3.

Why would it take so long to release on the Arma 2 engine? Gee, I don't know. Because the game is buggy as hell, the graphics and animations need a ton of work, and hackers are ruining everything?

So you think they're going to spend months of work and hundreds of man hours to fix bugs in ARMA 2 that they have probably already fixed in ARMA 3/RV4?

And commit to supporting both engines moving forward?

Don't you kind of think that's a giant fucking waste of time, money and man power?

I don't know why I'm arguing to the point with you.

It's simply obvious they will use ARMA 3/RV4. There is no other choice.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Great news and congrats to Rocket.

To me it makes most sense to go with BIS. Interesting to see that one of Bohemia's main devs will be on the team too (Suma.)

Where did you hear that?