rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

This is much better option to ban.

legitimate players dont have anything to worry about. ban is the best solution. if you dont ban these hacks, they will find a work around. they can always buy another cd key and all that, but they will eventually stop doing that, eh?

just thinking about this coming update a little more....

zombies not hearing gunshots, yeah that was a bit much. But here's my complaint......now that in 1.7.2 you've added this random factor of a zombie suddenly having super sight, it makes impossible to get into a town, never mind actually loot the town, without getting some kind of aggro. When you combine this with the fact that zombies will continuesly respawn and continuesly aggro as you kill other zombies....you are basically screwed. You'll never have enough ammo because the zombie hoard will never end and there is no way to get rid of the aggro. Even if you lets say run through a building and manage to lose the one zombie, you will eventually get caught again (usually shortly afterwards) by the random zombie super sight. It's just ridiculous. Having zombies not hear the gun shots was a counter balance. Sure you'd get aggro but you could at least deal with it and move on without getting aggro from every damn zombie in the town. Taking away this counter balance is going to make looting in town damn near impossible.

In 1.7.1.5, you could at least be very slow and careful and manage to get through a town (for the most part) without getting aggro. I mean you really had to be slow and careful but it could be done. Now you can't and you've got no way to effectly deal with the eventual aggro you are going to get.

Do I think the zombie not hearing gun shots was unbalanced. Yes. But I think the random super zombie sight is also unbalanced. Take out the random factor. Honestly I think the zombie mechanics were just fine in 1.7.1.5 minus the hearing through walls.

• Like 1

* [NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play - Good luck working your way out of wilderness.

[NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (for use with preventing ALT+F4) = Aaaand there go client crashes.

I wonder, why the Hive was implemented anyway? Would be good with local hive playing or playing with 10-server hives or something.

Oh, yes. Fix the goddamn infinite ammo bug. Or get rid of the magazine convertion. Pleeease.

get a better monitor.

You sir, have no understanding of the vast arrays of Homosapiens' ability to judge colours on an individual range.. I, personally have no problem with the forum colour scheme, but plenty of colourblind people, or people with various vision quirks, might well have.. To slap someone down with 'get a better monitor', makes you look like a tool.

• Like 8

After latests bata patch and be update i cannot play arma 2 in any server whatever coop,warfare, dm, etc! I get arma 2 reinforcement has stopped working and i crash to desktop! What the hell did you do???

FIX IT

To the respawn button deletion comments:

This is a realism mod, you and your friend you meet up with need to grow a pair and learn to navigate.

Is a realism mod. Expected to run hundreds of kilometers.

• Like 3

After latests bata patch and be update i cannot play arma 2 in any server whatever coop,warfare, dm, etc! I get arma 2 reinforcement has stopped working and i crash to desktop! What the hell did you do???

FIX IT

That is like asking him to fix your car. He didn't cause a problem, and has no way to fix it.

• Like 4

Surviving long enough to meet up with you friends is part of the challenge created by the core game mechanics. You are trying to circumvent it by re-spawn spamming and in the process generating load on the server/hive. This is not the kind of casual game you jump in to have quick fun with you buddies, it's a brutal survival simulator. There are other games for ppl like you, infact most are like these with "awesome" time-saving feature like teleport spells, and NPCs giving directions and magic quest markers always pointing to the direction you must go, all so you do not lose your precious time doing "boring" stuff, like you know fighting the environment and hostile players so you can meet you friend and increase your survival chance. You have all these games, why trying to ruing one game for the rest of us?

I'm sorry, but you are gravely over-generalizing people who also do not have ALL day to play games. You seem to think that all gamers that are complaining about this aspect of the game are basically just "carebear" gamers, and need the game to basically hold their hands. Thus they MUST be the only players who can't stand this spawning issue. You couldn't be further from the truth, sir... especially for gamers like myself and those I play with.

I understand that this game is meant to be hardcore, and is meant to be as realistic as a survival sandbox as it can get... and for the most part, it's right on the money! However, lets look at the game from a LORE standpoint. Why do people start on the beach with a backpack and anything in it? Where did all these survivors come from? If we were in an actual apocalyptic zombie situation, regardless if it was Day Zero or Day 1825 (5 years into it), do you truly believe that every single person would be starting their survival journey completely ALONE?!?!?! If you do, then you're a lost cause to any rational reasoning, regarding game lore, etc (IMO)

Given this game has but only a few working vehicles... that means this isn't actual Day Z(ero), as on the day of outbreak, there would still be plenty of working vehicles! THUS, in such a situation, there would definitely already be "packs" of people formed and working together. Thus, why not allow them to spawn together in this game to allow that type of "LORE" into the game? The fact that every single person starts alone, on the beach, with a backpack and some bandages, is almost like saying that every single person was lost at sea (maybe due to a shipwreck), and that they just happened to make it to land alone...

You see, there is plenty of LORE to think about, and plenty of ways to perceive this game in order to implement certain mechanics in order to make it jive with it's main objective of being a truly hardcore survival game!

And if you want to go on about players being carebear, because they dislike not being able to spawn with friends... my friends and I (including my wife) all played Left 4 Dead 2 purely on Expert Realism mode! Playing games as hardcore as we can is what it's all about to us! But that doesn't mean that we want to spend a huge chunk of our gaming time simply GETTING TO EACH OTHER before we can actually begin to work together as a group!

I can't put it any more eloquently! Tis my 2cents!

Edited by Chameleon
  • Like 7

FIX IT

Disable @Dayz. or dont play the beta in normal game mode.

• Like 1

FIX IT

or you can just run with dayz and the beta disabled. but hey yeah blame all your problems on someone else, thats a good idea too.

• Like 1

just thinking about this coming update a little more....

zombies not hearing gunshots, yeah that was a bit much. But here's my complaint......now that in 1.7.2 you've added this random factor of a zombie suddenly having super sight, it makes impossible to get into a town, never mind actually loot the town, without getting some kind of aggro. When you combine this with the fact that zombies will continuesly respawn and continuesly aggro as you kill other zombies....you are basically screwed. You'll never have enough ammo because the zombie hoard will never end and there is no way to get rid of the aggro. Even if you lets say run through a building and manage to lose the one zombie, you will eventually get caught again (usually shortly afterwards) by the random zombie super sight. It's just ridiculous. Having zombies not hear the gun shots was a counter balance. Sure you'd get aggro but you could at least deal with it and move on without getting aggro from every damn zombie in the town. Taking away this counter balance is going to make looting in town damn near impossible.

In 1.7.1.5, you could at least be very slow and careful and manage to get through a town (for the most part) without getting aggro. I mean you really had to be slow and careful but it could be done. Now you can't and you've got no way to effectly deal with the eventual aggro you are going to get.

Do I think the zombie not hearing gun shots was unbalanced. Yes. But I think the random super zombie sight is also unbalanced. Take out the random factor. Honestly I think the zombie mechanics were just fine in 1.7.1.5 minus the hearing through walls.

@Rocket this is true, also if you are going to display Player was just killed, then at least say how the player died, this will DESTROY hackers at least for now, preventing them from doing teleport/killings and such

I'm sorry, but you are gravely over-generalizing people who also do not have ALL day to play games. You seem to think that all gamers that are complaining about this aspect of the game are basically just "carebear" gamers, and need the game to basically hold their hands. Thus they MUST be the only players who can't stand this spawning issue. You couldn't be further from the truth, sir... especially for gamers like myself and those I play with.

I understand that this game is meant to be hardcore, and is meant to be as realistic as a survival sandbox as it can get... and for the most part, it's right on the money! However, lets look at the game from a LORE standpoint. Why do people start on the beach with a backpack and anything in it? Where did all these survivors come from? If we were in an actual apocalyptic zombie situation, regardless if it was Day Zero or Day 1825 (5 years into it), do you truly believe that every single person would be starting their survival journey completely ALONE?!?!?! If you do, then you're a lost cause to any rational reasoning, regarding game lore, etc (IMO)

Given this game has but only a few working vehicles... that means this isn't actual Day Z(ero), as on the day of outbreak, there would still be plenty of working vehicles! THUS, in such a situation, there would definitely already be "packs" of people formed and working together. Thus, why not allow them to spawn together in this game to allow that type of "LORE" into the game? The fact that every single person starts alone, on the beach, with a backpack and some bandages, is almost like saying that every single person was lost at sea (maybe due to a shipwreck), and that they just happened to make it to land alone...

You see, there is plenty of LORE to think about, and plenty of ways to perceive this game in order to implement certain mechanics in order to make it give with it's main objective of being a truly hardcore survival game!

And if you want to go on about players being carebear, because they dislike not being able to spawn with friends... my friends and I (including my wife) all played Left 4 Dead 2 purely on Expert Realism mode! Playing games as hardcore as we can is what it's all about to us! But that doesn't mean that we want to spend a huge chunk of our gaming time simply GETTING TO EACH OTHER before we can actually begin to work together as a group!

I can't put it any more eloquently! Tis my 2cents!

Lore will be coming in the stand alone game .... as for now its a mod your on the beach because the h.s.s best mod ever crashed and washed you on shore .... now pick that sand out of your crack and start hitting the shoelace express.

• Like 1

Would this change (hive tracking login/logout) effect those that server hop as medics to help other players out?

the way i see it medics will have to run a while on a new server to find the person they want to help. should not affect medic play too much imo

1. 45-60 seconds log-out time, both aborting and entering the game. So if you disconnect you have a 45 second timer and if you reconnect you also have a 45 second timer. That will kill all alt-f4 noobs.

This is something I thought once. Honest question Rocket, why wouldn't this work? a 5-10 seconds yimer when you disconnect and 15-20 seconds to connect to the SAME server. I really am ingnorant about the way characters are loaded into the game, but woulnd't this be enough to avoid duplicated characters?

Just make sure you have a good system for appealing before you start handing out database bans...

I'm starting to regret buying ArmaII: CO for this mod. All these changes are pointless and will make the mod worse.

Respawn button disabled ? Great, now we can't join our friends anymore and will have to suicide by being killed by zombie. Is this change useful ? Not really

Bans over login/logout ? I often disconnect/reconnect to servers when I'm looking for a good server (and good servers are quite rare). Will I have a low reputation because I'm looking for a server ? Or even a timeout ? Probably yes.

Will this change fix the problem with people disconnecting to avoid death ? Probably not.

At the end, all I can see is these changes will cause problems to honest players, not to exploiters/cheaters. Talking about cheaters, what changes are gonna be made in this update to detect and ban them ? The answer seems to be "none". Because for a reason I don't get, clients can ask ANYTHING to the server, and the server will accept. Spawing vehicles, weapons, tools ? Godmode ? Sure, no problem.

But yeah, better blame people who are playing the game the legit way. Sure they are the cancer of the game, not cheaters.

Please do not misunderstand me: I love this mod, I bought ArmaII only for it, and I hope rocket will start working on real issues next patch. But the changelog posted on the first topic is not what most people would like to see changed in DayZ.

Edited by Shuny
  • Like 3

Dear Rocket,

I am very sorry that you have to deal with people that have terrible reading comprehension skills.

I don't know how many posts I just read asking question to answers they had already read in the begining of the thread or at least should have read.

Please don't listen to people about the spawns.

What they are trying to say to you really is "this will make it really hard to run back to a position I was just killed at with my friends so I can loot my dead body" which is lame.

Just take out the North central spawn point "wilderness" and it will be lovely.

If you take out respawn give us an option to kill ourselves. I mean I could jab the hunting knife in my guts or slit my throat it shouldn't depend on a firearm.

Anyways you rule dude.

Okay people.

I just read through five pages, in between the time it took me from the office to home. And that five pages was filled with:

Person1: Wow this is awesome!

Person2: This is the WORST thing that ever happened!

Person3: No, it is awesome and I want to have Rocket's children!

Person4: I hate Rocket! I want you to have his children so I can then murder them!

Please, can people just accept that the Rocket Defense Force (RDF) and the Anti-Rocket Alliance (ARA) are needed for this project to continue. Both sides are required, and can actually coexist.

We need the fanboys and fangirls

If it wasn't for the fanboys and fangirls, I would have quit this mod and sold out months ago. Nobody want's to put up with a crap-ton of abuse all the time. I have become grumpy and cynical enough (ask anyone on the team or who has any sort of relationship to me at all) without having no positive feedback.

We need the haters

Or I will spend all my time working on "cool new stuff" and ignore the bugs, because solving bugs is not fun. It is not exciting. It is not sexy. And it doesn't frontpage on PCGamer, Kotaku, RPS, etc... New features do. So without the haters... this project will die.

So please, for the projects sake. Realize that you all need each other. The only thing "wrong" with this community is that some folks:

1. Think that two different point of views cannot coexist. I generally hold two opposing views at once until I have enough data. That is what Alpha is for! We try something, we consider all sides, we gather data, we try something else. That is the purpose of this whole experiment. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why sometimes people jump on one another simply because they hold a different viewpoint, especially when it concerns features that have not even been implemented yet. It is one thing to put forward an opposing view, it is another to attack them outright.

2. Think that trying something sets a feature in concrete. New things will be tried to either solve bugs, or add new functionality. This is especially true with a mod because it cannot affect the source. Nearly all fixes at this point involve new development because most errors in the mod itself have been worked out, at the basic syntax level, and now it is a question of functionality, max loading, etc... We will try it, if it doesn't work we will roll back.

3. Think everything needs to be fixed now. I've said it will go standalone, that is obvious. It has caused massive sales. But I need concrete stuff, something worth saying, before I come to you and tell you something. I've said it will happen, and this will affect the direction of the mod. There is only so much that can be done in the mod, to the point where diminishing returns apply. Not all bugs can be fixed easily, and many would be much easier (or only possible) in the standalone version directly in source. Yes, this sucks, but that's the nature of the beast and the fact is: the mod is fairly playable in its current state for the vast majority of people.

4. Think the project is dead/dying/gotyay. DayZ is nothing more than an effective message and precursor to something more. The timeframes can be shorter than you think, because of the wealth of data obtained.. .that you guys have provided. As always, follow my advice of maintaining a sense of adventure and a spirit of exploration with the project. If not, you're gonna have a bad time.

EDIT:

5. Think there is something "wrong" with this community. There is nothing wrong, the community here is extremely healthy. Too healthy, you guys all slaughter each side of the "debate" at every opportunity because everyone they think must be right. The fact is, nobody will really know how good an idea is until it has been implemented. So we gather opinions and factors and discuss a bit here on the forums so you can help me to temper the ideas and eliminate the very bad ones. This community is fantastic, and you'd all see that, if people would stop to see that all this emotion and interest is a good thing... if only it could be focused on the project and not on the opposing side.

• Like 35

Lore will be coming in the stand alone game .... as for now its a mod your on the beach because the h.s.s best mod ever crashed and washed you on shore .... now pick that sand out of your crack and start hitting the shoelace express.

Yeah, I understand that there is no "real" lore right now... but the BEST lore is always the Role-Playing lore that people bring into the game themselves. And there really shouldn't be such a huge issue with the IDEAS that I suggested earlier. I don't think they would be game killing in any way at all. I could personally care less about RESPAWNING to a particular spot.... All I care about is the time it can take, at times, to get to each other... when allowing people to simply spawn together, or in certain AREAS, would alleviate such an issue.

Personally, I would prefer the ability to spawn together, where the game still chooses a RANDOM spot. I don't even need to have the option to choose where. I just don't want to have to contemplate running from Kemenka to Elektro (or further). As that's just NOT going to happen, simply to play with my friend(s)!

EDIT-- Though, when we are grouped up already... THEN we will have no issues spending time traveling everywhere we can!

Edited by Chameleon
  • Like 1

You (rocket) seriously should think about adding some sort of Disclaimer about the alpha state and experimentation on the frontpage. I think a lot of the hate comes from people hearing about this project and not realizing it's not a finished product. Yet. :)

Some of the rocket fanboys really need to settle down a bit. I love DayZ as much as the next guy and I think rocket is a good guy with good ideas HOWEVER there really isn't a need to tell every single person with a differing opinion to stfu/gtfo. I don't know if you think you're winning his favor with this crap but you come off as clingy and ignorant.

EDIT And as I wrote this Rocket wrote a longer post that includes (roughly) this point.

Edited by Danthepianist
  • Like 1

Doesn't stop anything, I can run keyboard macros that type "iwannaexitthegame" 30 times in about 2 secs.

Yeah, or GTA style could solve the problem. 'iwannaexitthegame' 30 times in the chat box.