rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

Thanks Rocket for keeping up with this thread and providing feedback to our feedback.

Is there anything being worked on currently to help address hacking? My understanding of the engine is that there is very little that can currently be done to prevent hacking entirely. Between our gaming group I hear daily events of hacking such as the typical bombs, invisibility, invulnerability, teleportation, and being morphed into different entities. I've had it happen to me on two occasions. One where I was turned into a goat, along with the rest of the server, teleported off map, and we all ran around (press shift to eat grass) until we were teleported to the ocean and killed. Thankfully the characters were all saved and no gear was lost upon disconnect/reconnect. I find it pretty hilarious. But yesterday I had someone invis teleport to me and start shouting at me. Then he removed invisibility, had a hachet and what looked like body armor on + helmet. Shot him 6 times in chest/head with revolver and did nothing. The server had a lucky desync and I managed to run slightly away and disconnect before he could hit me.

Would anti-hacking measures be worked into a patch at some point in the future or is it something being worked on for the standalone version of this game?

Rocket would it be possible to have a more accurate time frame display on servers?

You see I like to play at night time and what happens at the moment I log on to a UK server around 2am and it says +1GMT etc.. but when i log on to the server it's daytime as admins change to time frame to have more daylight in the evening I guess.

The reason I ask this is sometimes I have to change server afew times to find a good nightime one don't want to end up banned for that reason.

Thanks.

Regarding the player quit mechanism, what about this:

If Player A has done damage to Player B and player B disconnects within a certain time after taking the damage Player A gets displayed a message telling him that Player B is leaving. This would avoid situations where you wait and wait for a player to then realize he has disconnected.

• Like 1

[NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play

So what happens when we end up in debug forest and just want to play the damn game? Or stuck in a rock with no hope of escaping? Or teleported by a script user to the middle of nowhere, too far to get back to civilization?

Now, I can't stand accidently hitting respawn, but a simple "Would you like to respawn?" would have been preferable. The mod still has very serious problems that makes being able to respawn at the push of a button a must.

Edited by SPESSMEHREN

Good thing the respawn button is gone. I killed myself twice from that like the moron I am.

Also, the rise of hackers is getting out of control. They are everywhere now and so is my disconnecting to avoid them... I hope this alt f4 solution doesn't backfire.

Great work again. We will have our ghille suits back. Anyway I cant wait till the choppers will be back again (maybe some mh-6s and mi-17s like in pre-alpha?)

Edited by Born to be Wild (PL)

[NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play

So what happens when we end up in debug forest and just want to play the damn game? Or stuck in a rock with no hope of escaping? Or teleported by a script user to the middle of nowhere, too far to get back to civilization?

Out-of-bound respawns now get set to random spawn on the beach. It's not perfect, but its a start.

This :)

• Like 2

You can no longer respawn, as it says in the changelog.

Suicide may be possible with a firearm, I am just checking to see if it will cause me to end up on CNN or some random politician somewhere will end up blaming me for a string of suicides. I'd rather not be sued, be on CNN, or responsible for people killing themselves.

Avoid anything to do with suicide, either in name or in-game mechanics, you are just asking for trouble. In films, TV, books, it's fine, but the establishment still see computer games as "just for kids" and will do anything to stop adult/contencious content.

There are so many ways to die in DayZ without the need of Respawn/Suicide option, eg: zombies; other players; jump off high buildings/towers; go prone near a rock/tree/tent, so it's not really a big issue.

Any chance of a database wipe this patch because of all the (unintentional) tent duping that has been going on lately? Servers are littered with tents filled to the brim with high end gear, making it easy for anyone to just basically stock up after they die.

There's been a lot of talk in the Suggestions forum regarding making the game harder, one key thread (500+ replies) linked in my signature. I feel a good place to start is making military grade guns harder to find. Everyone and their mother can find an M16 or an M4 within an hour, and not to mention heli crash sights always giving off 2-3 high tier weapons.

Edited by Powell

Since alot of people are misreading, or not bothering to read, Rocket's reply, here's a rewording (as I understand it):

Clicking abort to log out counts as "logging out" and CARRIES NO NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES. What this means is if you log in to a server, decide its laggy, and log out, you should have nothing to worry about. Now whether the game will have any systems in place that detect if you fired a weapon etc. before logging out...I don't know. But you will have a 5 second "still in world" ghost to worry about too if you should log in/log out somewhere in danger, or trafficked by many players (ie server hopping in NWA).

However, hitting alt+f4, or having your client crash, counts as a "disconnect" and lowers your reptutation with the Hive (a too low rep and you will be banned, with the ability to appeal).

Avoid anything to do with suicide, either in name or in-game mechanics, you are just asking for trouble. In films, TV, books, it's fine, but the establishment still see computer games as "just for kids" and will do anything to stop adult/contencious content.

the establishment? the average "gamer" is 38 years old. computer and console games are NOT seen as just for kids. think about it. i started out with pong. been playing games ever since. so have millions of other people. back then it might have been for kids, but after 30 years or so of people growing up with video games, most people dont just outright stop.vjust for kids? whatever dude.

if you think people will do suicide because of a video game, why isnt there more murder? i remember grand theft auto had this similar issue. call of duty? tfc? counter strike? i dont see a difference between the murder suicide thing. i dont here of video games being blamed for rampant murder leading to marshal law or whatever scenario is in your head.

i can name several games that have some form of suicide implemented. never heard bad shit about any of it. the fact is this is just something rocket is going to have to come to terms with and make his decision about. if/when he becomes comfortable with the idea, we will see it. if he never does, it will be scrapped.

I bought a server recently and it is already after a weekend sporting +30 players and people are really supportive of DayZ so I thought I would be there for the community! Keep up the good work! Let's hit that 1 million.

Edited by caszum

seems to me that a simple 10 or 15 second in game log out timer would be a much more effective solution to alt+f4 than the more elaborate hive login/logout tracking + algorithmic bad behavior detection. Usually people alt+f4 only after I wound them or I am firing on them in the middle of an open field. With a delay they would not dare do this.

I am assuming that the in game logout delay is just not easily possible within the arma2 engine?

+1. we need helicopters, please!

Just need some config changes and then helicopters will appear on the changelog. Expect it, but as always, it won't appear on the changelog until it is done and confirmed.

Thumbs up!

• Like 1

seems to me that a simple 10 or 15 second in game log out timer would be a much more effective solution to alt+f4 than the more elaborate hive login/logout tracking + algorithmic bad behavior detection. Usually people alt+f4 only after I wound them or I am firing on them in the middle of an open field. With a delay they would not dare do this.

I am assuming that the in game logout delay is just not easily possible within the arma2 engine?

i would guess that this is the case. if your client is responsible for maintaining your existence, what does the arma server do when it stops recieving updates? does your avatar stay in one spot? are hits registered client-side?

Edited by Escargot

To everyone crying about the respawn button being removed.... TOUGH SHIT!

There is nothing more annoying than seeing USER HAS BEEN KILLED USER HAS BEEN KILLED USER HAS BEEN KILLED USER HAS BEEN KILLED USER HAS BEEN KILLED USER HAS BEEN KILLED....

"But I can't meet up with my friends!" So? You think Rocket really cares if it takes you an extra 30 minutes to meet your friend? Nope. This was meant to be a DIFFICULT game. That difficulty would be removed if you could just spawn with someone else right off the bat. Pick a place to meet up, gather supplies on your way and by the time you meet up you should both have a weapon and some materials to survive.

And to everyone that is complaining about having a bad connection... You are probably a D/C'er and don't want your loophole removed. If you are legitimately disconnecting a lot due to poor connection, I suggest switching to one that doesn't suck? This is 2012 and you should really get with the times. If you want to play a serious online game and you connection sucks I don't have any sympathy for you.

• Like 4

the establishment? the average "gamer" is 38 years old. computer and console games are NOT seen as just for kids. think about it. i started out with pong.

These kids probably thought you started out smelling!

Pong was my first too, until I got my Commodore 16+4 and Spectrum 48k then it's was full on deluxe gaming, here's hoping for another 30+ years!