rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

I am experimenting with adding back the 5 second "alive in world" mechanic that we had before. This should also be there, in addition to the tracking of login/logout.

Sweet!

~10 sec sounds better imo. Adding a message "X is leaving the game" would also help a lot.

Ignore it yet comment on it? It matters because people are making it seem like I'm too stupid to meet up with a friend and it will be challenging to run to see someone. It's not challenging at all and it will present no challenge to me and most players. They simply don't want to waste the time. Why should people try and make me feel like a pussy for wanting to have fun in a computer game? I really dont understand it.

I did not comment on your level of skill, but on the first part of your message. I fail to see the problem, I did exactly what I told ?

Anyway, people don't laugh at you because they think you suck at navigating. People laugh at you because it's obvious you don't realise (yet) where and why DayZ is such an amazing game. And you don't realise too that what you want is the exact oposite of why this game is so unique (and rare, and fragile).

You also have to acknoledge that rocket would rather end it all than change DayZ to a more common mainstream coop gameplay.

You can't enjoy DayZ the way it is / will be ?

I bet someone will note this and acheive a "version" of the game you will enjoy soon enough (WarZ, whatever is to come next).

I don't mean to sound rude, but I couldn't have a shit in 5 seconds.

Gun fights will be at most 5 seconds long? There needs to be some tension of them actually escaping not just rounding a corner and clicking log. 30 seconds should be a minimum and 5 - 10 minutes after you've actually killed a player.

Great job working on the mod and all and it's great you're moving in the right direction to stop such an enormous exploit in the game but still.

I second this, database logging can't do anything but false positives unless you got DARPA working on your algorithms, we need a REAL ground level system to stop fuckers logging out during a fight.

30 seconds at LEAST during any situation and 5 minutes if you've been shot/shot at someone/agro'd zombies, preferably more, maybe 15 minutes after killing someone.

• Like 1

Rocket,

None of this stuff matters with the current state of hacking in the game. 20 minutes after restarting our server with the new scripts.txt someone teleported everyone into the air and they died from the fall.

• Like 1

I did not comment on your level of skill, but on the first part of your message. I fail to see the problem, I did exactly what I told ?

Anyway, people don't laugh at you because they think you suck at navigating. People laugh at you because it's obvious you don't realise (yet) where and why DayZ is such an amazing game. And you don't realise too that what you want is the exact oposite of why this game is so unique (and rare, and fragile).

You also have to acknoledge that rocket would rather end it all than change DayZ to a more common mainstream coop gameplay.

You can't enjoy DayZ the way it is / will be ?

I bet someone will note this and acheive a "version" of the game you will enjoy soon enough (WarZ, whatever is to come next).

The problem you appear to have as far as I can see is you feel people can "only" play the game one way. This will both limit players (Potential sales of a standalone game) and alienate people who aren't as hardcore as you (Smaller/less servers), can you not see this?

Hi Rocket, I'm also bit worried about the Alt-F4 thing and agree with much of what -Cdn-Chard is saying above, basically how do you distinguish people server hopping for loot gathering/death evading purposes versus people server hopping trying to find one that doesn't have cripplingly dangerous lag? Particularly over the weekend there I spent about an hour with my friend trying to find a server which didn't have us and every zombie running on the spot for ages every couple of minutes. Think you need to stabilise the gameplay experience across the servers before you start punishing people for switching between them. It's really difficult to spot a "genuine" alt-F4 by just looking at logins/disconnects. You might need to consider "did the player take damage shortly before leaving" (Although I've alt-F4'd before to avoid dying at the hands of an invincible zombie that broke my legs, had me bleeding out and just wouldn't die no matter how many times me or my friends shot it - lag related zombie issues can be horrific) or "did the player get shot at but not hit shortly before leaving" (also difficult to determine - could have been his friends shooting nearby zombies). Like someone else said - this is a horrible, horrible problem to try and solve, and I appreciate you trying, just voicing some concerns. I also appreciate you need the data to do the analysis to experiment with solutions, so by all means collect the data, see what you can do with it etc. but I'm not sure the time has come you can start with the actual punishment.

One other note is the zombie respawn rate seems ridiculously high at the moment - I quite like the new behaviour and am glad the deafness is being resolved but I kind of feel that once you have cleared an area it shouldn't immediately within seconds be repopulated - we've started having to do stupid things like identify a zombie to try and not kill, which is spoiling the immersion a bit - don't kill that last zombie or you'll immediately have to deal with them all over again and end up with a constant non-stop swarm repeatedly coming after you - feels too much like gaming the system and breaks the feeling of the persistent world really badly.

Overall though, thanks for DayZ and keep up the good work - the most interesting gaming experience I've had in years!

How did I attack rocket? I was saying how you people treat him. Rocket doesn't need you to "get his back" he does just fine on his own. If anything comparing rocket to the second coming is the greatest thing to ever say about someone :)

Its a test to provoke and emotional response. Shall we continue

?

holden.jpg

Edited by Ammo

I accept it is going to be a, well, bitch.

But we need to see what affect this kind of forced spawn will have on players. It will make dying more significant. We need to see what response this will actually have with the data, not just the QQ from people on the forums. It is like previous updates where we had to try controversial things. This update will, unfortunately, come in before we have had a chance to look at group spawn mechanics.

This gets my support. In a survival game, death should be an extremely undesirable experience; something to be avoided at all costs. It should never serve as a quick transport mechanism, a la Riverworld's "Suicide Express".

• Like 1

Rocket...

I was also wondering if you going to institute a nightly deletion of all tents and vehicles saved outside of the map boundaries? That probably wouldn't be too hard to manage and would be a great step forward.

And what happens to players logging out off map. Do they get reset or moved to the beaches? That would help the debug plains issue, but might even work in the favour exploiters if out-of-bounds tent encampments were not purged. It would certainly save them the trip of running to Electro each night to kill noobs...

Can you also please confirm, once and for all, that camo and ghillies are safe to use? There's been so many conficting posts, it's hard to say what's happening.

Great mod!!!

Edited by -Cdn-Chard

This gets my support. In a survival game, death should be an extremely undesirable experience; something to be avoided at all costs. It should never serve as a quick transport mechanism, a la Riverworld's "Suicide Express".

agreed. been thinking about this, and the only viable solution i can come up with (i know im going to get ripped for this) is to get rid of tents. all together. no tents at all. period. it sure as shit would make dying horrible.

-but keep vehicles and storage in the vehicles.

• Like 2

Would this change (hive tracking login/logout) effect those that server hop as medics to help other players out?

Yes it would, and this would be a valid point. I'm not sure what the answer is here.

Is it possible to do a brief inventory check and if medic has no firearms, and is logging in from a successful ("good") abort command, let the player in without a hit to the reputation metric? (better yet, at some point, add a medic skin so both the hive and the players can identify a self-professed medic)

The only good idea in this topic:

"you won't be able to log out when in shock"

When somebody shoot you, you always have shok.

So this is the most obvious solution of the "alt-f4 problem".

Disabling respawn button? What for? To make gameplay more uncomfortable? Create squad system please, spawn system please and after that do whatever you want with respawn button :)

And what about heli's?

Edited by Yes.ImP

I didn't reduce their hearing, I fixed it. it was a bug, bought on with the new system. This bug has been fixed (for firing sounds).

ahh i read it the same way as a reduction in hearing, not fixing a hearing tewak that left them deaf

yeah not deaf zombies ^_^ <3

Disabling respawn button? What for?

so that people don't hit respawn until they spawn close to Cherno

can you not see this?

I can, and that debate is not new.

I really don't think sales really matter given how huge the fanbase is now, if rocket only wants money to release a standalone that is.

My opinion has always been that before tunning down something, making it easy and 'tasteless', it's necessary to make sure people understandd why "hard" is so good and rewarding.

Then they can choose to have it casual.

Plus, I tend to be in favor of diversity because there is strengh and balance in it, you can't tell me there's diversity in nowadays video game panorama regarding difficulty.

I'm not crying because a game doesn't punish enough (random example: cod), so why are they crying to tune down DayZ ?

That crowd is big, I don't intend to tell them how to play, but I want them to aknowledge that spending 4 hours trying to find my pals, each of us running into different situations along the way, is rewarding. It's basic stuff, spending 4 hours of your life doing it makes it rewarding, thrilling. (it's not about fun really)

The goal does not matter.

• Like 1

I see a potentially huge problem with this update...

1. Currently, a lot of servers incorrectly state their timezone, more than accurately state it.

2. A lot of servers are very unstable and give me 5fps.

To fix the first issue, would it be possible to add information in the server browser (or even the lobby) that told us the correct time within a server?

To fix the second issue...I don't even understand why this happens to be honest. It seems completely random to me.

It usually takes my friends and myself a few goes to find a server that is correctly advertising the time and isn't really unstable.

The only good idea in this topic:

"you won't be able to log out when in shock"

When somebody shoot you, you always have shok.

So this is the most obvious solution of the "alt-f4 problem".

alt+f4 doesnt log you out, it closes the program through windoze, cant log out in shock doesnt work if your not logging out

Rocket, what's the news on logging into a server missing your primary, your backpack, and all your equipment? Happened to me twice yesterday. Still had the items in my primary and secondary inventory though. Is there a way you can record that information to the hive so there isn't a chance for error upon login?

I never noticed that zombies were deaf. I have fired shots inside of buildings plenty of times and drew agro from several Zeds.

I see a potentially huge problem with this update...

1. Currently, a lot of servers incorrectly state their timezone, more than accurately state it.

2. A lot of servers are very unstable and give me 5fps.

To fix the first issue, would it be possible to add information in the server browser (or even the lobby) that told us the correct time within a server?

To fix the second issue...I don't even understand why this happens to be honest. It seems completely random to me.

It usually takes my friends and myself a few goes to find a server that is correctly advertising the time and isn't really unstable.

Maybe make it so that once you connect, if you disconnect within 10 seconds there isn't a penalty?

This would make it possible to check the state of the server and would also be too little a time to farm anything

• Like 2

So the hive is shitting it's self and you want to add more crap for it to track? Do you guys have any plans on upgrades for the server the hive is sitting on? Plans of a wipe ? Any plans at all to deal with all these massive issues caused by the hive being so bogged down? I don't even care about alt F4 at this point you guys need to look into what you can do about the hive or just give up on the idea of having one all together.

alt+f4 doesnt log you out, it closes the program through windoze, cant log out in shock doesnt work if your not logging out

alt-f4 initiates a programs shutdown process. For example, press alt-f4 at the menu of ArmA 2 you will see shutdown. Alt-f4 and various other key combinations can be disabled by an application.