rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

Those complaining about having to log into "15" different servers to find a good one, please try and make a server(or 2) your constant home. While playing the game the next best thing to live for after your friends is your "server bound" items, your tents, and especially vehicles. If you are jumping from one server to another you cant enjoy the vehicle experience.

Things to live for:

1. Brother in arms next to you

2. server bound items(tents, vehicles)

3. The experience

4. not my gear, I can gear up in an hour after death and be a force.

Spawn in Kamenka and want to be in Berezino, have your buddy drive your GAZ/ATV/motorbike down to pick you up in 10 minutes flat.

Vehicles are server bound, so join 1 server and try to get a vehicle or 5 to use on a regular basis, not hoard.

The approach we're taking is to look at a players previous data when they are authenticated. If the server see's clear evidence that a player has been doing things that they are not allowed to do (such as large quantities of ALT+F4, hacked weapons, teleporting, spawning, or anything like that...) then it will either warn the player of their status, or prevent them from being authenticated.

We need to add a new feature to the site that allows the player to review their personal data, so that they can check their Hive reputation, and ask for a manual review where they consider something is in error.

I suspect you'll be flooded with requests for manual reviews. People that cheat and exploit in game will have no qualm with doing the same out of game.

Cant wait for this.

On another note @ Rocket, can you add the ability to have female characters wear ghillie suits sometime soon please :D

Edited by Audio Rejectz

The day sucks when i have to quote myself :)

I love u for creating this Mod - but a dont like ur attemp for the upcomming Update.

So lets have Twins and they can kill each other in a epic Hatchet-Standoff.

Beside That: I have to quite myself ;)

* [NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play

How about a segmentation of the Map with n-Numbers of Spawnareas to choose @ Spawing. Taking away the possibility to manipulate the Spawnlocation will take away alot of Gameplay like, playing in Groups, trying to get ur Gear back after Death or even trying to reach your own camp or any certain Location. I think it's not fun for anyone playing around with ur Squad @ Electro or something, spawn in Kamenka and run the all the way West.

* [NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (for use with preventing ALT+F4)

First of all - good job! But a 5sec Timer, like mentioned before is much to short. Since most of the &/()&/() < Flame here > that use ALT+F4, log out as soon as the get under Fire. 30-45sec would be a much greater benefit to Gameplay.

Okay people.

I just read through five pages, in between the time it took me from the office to home. And that five pages was filled with:

Person1: Wow this is awesome!

Person2: This is the WORST thing that ever happened!

Person3: No, it is awesome and I want to have Rocket's children!

Person4: I hate Rocket! I want you to have his children so I can then murder them!

Please, can people just accept that the Rocket Defense Force (RDF) and the Anti-Rocket Alliance (ARA) are needed for this project to continue. Both sides are required, and can actually coexist.

We need the fanboys and fangirls

If it wasn't for the fanboys and fangirls, I would have quit this mod and sold out months ago. Nobody want's to put up with a crap-ton of abuse all the time. I have become grumpy and cynical enough (ask anyone on the team or who has any sort of relationship to me at all) without having no positive feedback.

We need the haters

Or I will spend all my time working on "cool new stuff" and ignore the bugs, because solving bugs is not fun. It is not exciting. It is not sexy. And it doesn't frontpage on PCGamer, Kotaku, RPS, etc... New features do. So without the haters... this project will die.

So please, for the projects sake. Realize that you all need each other. The only thing "wrong" with this community is that some folks:

1. Think that two different point of views cannot coexist. I generally hold two opposing views at once until I have enough data. That is what Alpha is for! We try something, we consider all sides, we gather data, we try something else. That is the purpose of this whole experiment. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why sometimes people jump on one another simply because they hold a different viewpoint, especially when it concerns features that have not even been implemented yet. It is one thing to put forward an opposing view, it is another to attack them outright.

2. Think that trying something sets a feature in concrete. New things will be tried to either solve bugs, or add new functionality. This is especially true with a mod because it cannot affect the source. Nearly all fixes at this point involve new development because most errors in the mod itself have been worked out, at the basic syntax level, and now it is a question of functionality, max loading, etc... We will try it, if it doesn't work we will roll back.

3. Think everything needs to be fixed now. I've said it will go standalone, that is obvious. It has caused massive sales. But I need concrete stuff, something worth saying, before I come to you and tell you something. I've said it will happen, and this will affect the direction of the mod. There is only so much that can be done in the mod, to the point where diminishing returns apply. Not all bugs can be fixed easily, and many would be much easier (or only possible) in the standalone version directly in source. Yes, this sucks, but that's the nature of the beast and the fact is: the mod is fairly playable in its current state for the vast majority of people.

4. Think the project is dead/dying/gotyay. DayZ is nothing more than an effective message and precursor to something more. The timeframes can be shorter than you think, because of the wealth of data obtained.. .that you guys have provided. As always, follow my advice of maintaining a sense of adventure and a spirit of exploration with the project. If not, you're gonna have a bad time.

EDIT:

5. Think there is something "wrong" with this community. There is nothing wrong, the community here is extremely healthy. Too healthy, you guys all slaughter each side of the "debate" at every opportunity because everyone they think must be right. The fact is, nobody will really know how good an idea is until it has been implemented. So we gather opinions and factors and discuss a bit here on the forums so you can help me to temper the ideas and eliminate the very bad ones. This community is fantastic, and you'd all see that, if people would stop to see that all this emotion and interest is a good thing... if only it could be focused on the project and not on the opposing side.

First Post on these forums after weeks of reading. I am impressed with how often the dayz team keeps the community in the loop. You guys are incredibally patient. Most people have no idea what it takes to not only develop a new project, but implement it as well. I think people also forget what alpha means. Either way my compliments to the chef/s! Looking forward to testing it out. Err I mean playing. :P

For everyone that keeps asking about getting out of the "wilderness" or "debug plains" without being able to use the old respawn system...

Out-of-bound respawns now get set to random spawn on the beach. It's not perfect, but its a start.

Since there are quite a few people who keep posting the same ignorant questions without bothering to read the conversation...I did your work for you. Give yourselves some beans while you're at it... :beans:

Do you think you'll have the character corrupted save bug or whatever fixed in this patch?

(Ie, you always login with the same gear your character got corrupted with, unable to get new stuff because the old stuff is always spawning back in your backpack/inventory)

I'm glad the respawn button is going away. If you need to meet up with friends, well, getting there is half the fun, isn't it? Where's your sense of adventure people?!?!

Well, tbh, if you think running through forest for 20 mins is an adventure, you'll have a lot of fun playing The Hunter. :D

Trolling apart, you don't want to spend a lot of time just trying to meet with your friends.

Edited by Shuny

I have long thought and pondered on the current respawn mechanics, ever since I first started playing and realized that I don't have to spend two hours two find my friend halfway across the map since I could just respawn 'til I got a Solnichniy spawn.

Respawning and sitting at that loading screen for ages and ages again was a horrible element of tedium, my two alternatives are below. If not number 1, then for gods sake implement number 2 below;

1. Somehow choosing spawn location. Randomizing it within a couple hundred meters or so. At least let people find each other.

2. Remove the respawn mechanic, resulting in the spawn you get becoming the SPAWN YOU GET, until you die.

After 2-ish months of playing I have realized that alternative number 1 is far superior.

* Want to enjoy the world and game with your friends? Okay, then spend x amount of time to find your friends (the work) and THEN you can enjoy the game together until you die. Rinse and repeat. *

I do realize that the obligatory "finding your friend is part of the fun hurr durr" argument will be made here, fine, it IS a valid argument. Just wanted to put this out there for weighing it against that previously mentioned obligatory argument.

Edited by Lahrmid

Person1: its a vidya-game

Person2: its not a vidya-game. rocket said so.

Person3: it is a vidya-game, because I bought it on steam.

Person4: its not a vidya-game, because rocket said so once

Firstly, things have changed a bit since I started out making this for four people to play. Just a little. So quoting me like the bible without putting my words into context is a bit meaningless.

Yes, DayZ is an experience designed using a computer game, and it is experienced as a computer game. I intended it as a design experiment, and at times have proposed various awesome things about it. But who says I am even right? I'm not really focused on fun, because that is not the core of this experience. The "fun" comes from the experience which I am focused on providing. If I skip the experience, then the reason this is fun will disappear and you will be left with the rotting hulk of what is a rather bizare mod.

You guys need to stop overreacting. Seriously. All I said was I am going to start logging login and logout data, in closed testing. Then I outlined some possible plans, and you guys go batshit crazy. Soon I am going to be causing further damage to the EU financial situation and some kind of bust-up in the Kardashians...

• Like 12

My problem with the respawn button going away is what happens when you fresh spawn in the debug plains? It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but it still does happen. There are to many people playing to expect any kind of individual support from the dev team for something like this.

I like the concept Rocket, but it's going to make the bug that spawns you out there even more intolerable. I don't know if you can fix that particular bug or not in a mod but it still happens and without the ability to respawn I imagine there will be a lot of pins stuck in Voodoo dolls modeled after your likeness. ;)

Edit: I speel goad

Edited by Schleppy

why do you guys keep going back to the fun thing? there are zombies/infected here. zombies are not fun. they are very very scary. and the infected type are not outside the realm of reality. the fun part playing with your friends? well if they die to zombie, they become a zombie, then you cant run with them anymore. to the point of a game, they respawn. can only do that in a game. so whats the problem to run for 30 minutes to catch up to someone that is dead? talk about realism and video game, there has to be a middle point.

I just want to commend you Rocket for being so involved with the community and listening to all the feedback. I always notice you online and posting responses on threads all the time. You interact with the playerbase more than any other dev for any other game/mod i've ever played. Just that in itself gives me high hopes for the future of this mod. Im excited about the new upcoming patch and can't wait for more in the future.

/end fanboy post

Edited by Sturmen

Soon I am going to be causing further damage some kind of bust-up in the Kardashians...

Implying this is a bad thing...

Question, can you drown? If so, there is your respawn. Else, you are usually not too far from some zombies on spawn. Go provide them a lovely meal accompanied by whine.

• Like 1

I have just stopped by to say:

thanks rocket, you are doing a great job and I wish you a lot of enthusiasm to carry on developing the mod with fun

my feedback: I like the changes included in this version.

We're afraid because we think you might do the wrong choices. As stupid as it may sound, we play the game more than you do, that's why we're giving out our opinion and I think it matters.

I would hold off on being afraid, at least until this mod gets out of alpha, or a specific change gets explicitly noted by Rocket for being final. There will be hundreds more changes to come, for better or worse. Most wont be in the final mod and are just being tested. :)

Edited by Sturmen

kudos rocket. everything that you do that makes this game safer against cheaters/hackers is great, and i like how i can notice who gets really upset about certain things when they are done. seemingly exposing SOME potential exploiters. anyway keep it up. this project is epic.

people who cheat and abuse expoilts are weak and would not survive one day in a real life zombie scenario. hackers would be those with no real life survival skills and most likely the one who shoot themselves in the face as soon as they are faced with adversity. I'll bet you hackers couldn't find all the heart peices in the zelda games without using a brady guide lol weak

I love the fact people are challenging, and bringing up real and serious issues. That is why I do the pending update threads - I have already gotten significant benefit from this threads for things I did not consider.

But seriously, you guys fucking eat each other alive in here sometimes.

I've never seen discussions so quickly degenerate into pretty much "I hope you get cancer" within two or three posts.

• Like 15

Dear Rocket.

I have arma2 and oa since it was released. A friend of mine offered me to play Dayz, your mod. We played for 3 weeks and we had a great deal of fun, i got to say. It is fun.

I hired a server and now the server is getting bombarded by hackers. All day long.

You say that people wont get banned right away, and i saw a video of you saying that you wanted Dayz to become a stand alone project and which maybe.. and just maybe charge a fair 29.90 for the game.

Now i have a few questions with some statements.

If people spawning helicopters and guns dont get banned right away how do you spect me to purchase that future stand alone?. Sometimes.. you need to put the hammer down.

It is your policy not to lock the servers with password, but you recently said that its BI and BE the one that combat hacking and taht the mod is doing its best to deal with hackers. Yet you dont allow us to block the join of everysingle hacker to our servers.

If this anti server jumpers sys is trully developed and about to hit the servers why not allow us to lock the servers?. Dayz mod is doing its best to fight hackers, but again like i said beofre we cant prevent them to join the server.

I dont know.. i m just seeing you have the tools to prevent this hacking but you dont want to use them.

My stake in Warz. Just one thing, the devs of warz says that they are doing a envoriement based on a zombie apoca. My question is.. Since bridges and houses fall down when zombies appear?. Do zombies now have RPGs? or extensive knowledge of C4 and demolition?. I dont think they have ever read about rigor mortis or anything related to the ¨undead¨.

Sorry if i sound annoyed. i kinda am about the hackers and how 40 people of my server quitted the game already.

Damian.

I love the fact people are challenging, and bringing up real and serious issues. That is why I do the pending update threads - I have already gotten significant benefit from this threads for things I did not consider.

But seriously, you guys fucking eat each other alive in here sometimes.

I've never seen discussions so quickly degenerate into pretty much "I hope you get cancer" within two or three posts.

What do you expect from a community of almost a million blood thirsty hooligans? :D

• Like 2

So is there going to be new clothing ? This one guy asked "is clothing respawns fixed and is there new clothing" and you answered "done". Can you be little more specific about new clothing?