rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

Rocket,

In regards to logins/logouts and looking for a good server to play on:

I've been noticing quite a bit of name changes in server names lately, but so far I've not been able to always find a good filter for server names for the rules that I want. Has there been discussions about standardized naming to allow people to run filters based on versions/rules?

I can run a filter for 1.7.2.4 to find all the servers running the brand new patch, I can run a filter looking for servers with 3rd person off, ch off or tags off in the name with various spellings. I can run a filter for the arma beta version (Though this isn't much of an issue anymore since all servers need to run the beta now)

What I'd like to be able to do is plug in a string say: "1.7.2.3)[3p=off,ch=off,tag=off]" and find servers that fit the version and rules I'm looking for.

With current naming its usually "Dayz - something (1.7.2.3 / 95208) blah, maybe rules here"

I guess what I'm looking for is more standardized naming that lets you do filters for version and rules without getting the beta version in the way or using different naming for the rules. This'll save time and server hopping going from place to place looking for a server with a good ruleset when the regular servers are full. People easily jump in and play how they want and don't have to worry about racking flags on their account looking for new homes.

• Like 3

I love the fact people are challenging, and bringing up real and serious issues. That is why I do the pending update threads - I have already gotten significant benefit from this threads for things I did not consider.

But seriously, you guys fucking eat each other alive in here sometimes.

I've never seen discussions so quickly degenerate into pretty much "I hope you get cancer" within two or three posts.

cant have a forum without

troll.gif

• Like 1

Not sure if I'm duping a suggestion of a fix for Alt+F4 when under fire but how about checking to see if the player who Alt-F4'd was sighted or damaged by another player a determined time before Alt+F4ing.

If its not possible to check this after the player has disconnected (because they have disconnected), then check the ID of any players damaged by existing players a couple of seconds after each person logs out. If the name check of hitplayer by existingplayers matches the name of loggedoutplayer, you can pretty much safely say that person antisocially Alt-F4'd.

Just a suggestion.. Maybe a good idea, maybe a bad idea.

Suggestions/Ideas about anti-Alt F4 measures :

* Logging activity : Don't bother logging the first minute of a player's server time. That should save from having to wade through a bunch of data, and would make time for the player to judge the server performance and time, extract from a bad situation that was not their fault (other player in the vicinity, previously aggroed zeds, etc.), and bad spawn loads (missing gear, displaced locations, etc.)

* If it's even possible, make some areas off-limits to spawning (e.g. NW Airfield, Stary tents/Sniper hill, etc.) If a player can't server hop the high traffic/loot areas, that should knock the server hopping down quite a bit by itself. If somebody D/Cs from these areas, have then respawn in a different location. For example : Disconnect inside the NW Airfield barracks and respawn in the middle of a field outside the airfield. The server hopper is exposed in the field and would have to make their way back to the airfield like real players. If all the key areas that server hopping looters/campers frequent can't be re-spawned into that may stop alot of griefing as well. Why wire up a firehouse stairwell if you can't get into it either? There are, of course, legitimate disconnects from these areas due to real-life emergencies or server crashes/resets, but those people would probably not complain too much if it means an end to the server hoppers.

* I've always managed to use the normal disconnect when a script kiddie hits the server, but they've been rampant this past week (whole other can of worms), and I'm sure many have Alt F4'd to get away from the little shits. You may want to find a way to track and forgive those disconnects. You may even be able to use it to catch the kiddies in the act; For example, if the logs detect a a rash of disconnects from a server, have one of the dev team log in and see if a kiddie is running rampant.

• Like 1

@Rocket: Can you PLEEEEEASE put the Visibility indicator back into the Debug Monitor.

Even if it's just until you get zed behaviour locked down. It's very useful for testing purposes..

(Please?)

@Rocket: Can you PLEEEEEASE put the Visibility indicator back into the Debug Monitor.

Even if it's just until you get zed behaviour locked down. It's very useful for testing purposes..

(Please?)

I don't really see the point...

(Please?)

It was removed because it is inaccurate. Visibility depends on individual zombies with elements of randomness and many factors. The visibility number you saw, no longer makes sense. It is just part of the equation. The result now is much more complex.

• Like 2

the establishment? the average "gamer" is 38 years old. computer and console games are NOT seen as just for kids. think about it. i started out with pong. been playing games ever since. so have millions of other people. back then it might have been for kids, but after 30 years or so of people growing up with video games, most people dont just outright stop.vjust for kids? whatever dude.

if you think people will do suicide because of a video game, why isnt there more murder? i remember grand theft auto had this similar issue. call of duty? tfc? counter strike? i dont see a difference between the murder suicide thing. i dont here of video games being blamed for rampant murder leading to marshal law or whatever scenario is in your head.

i can name several games that have some form of suicide implemented. never heard bad shit about any of it. the fact is this is just something rocket is going to have to come to terms with and make his decision about. if/when he becomes comfortable with the idea, we will see it. if he never does, it will be scrapped.

Oh dear, you really missed my point on this one.

"The establishment" is the politicians/news media/knee jerk reactionist types who will jump on any bandwagon for headlines. These are the ones who scream and shout when video games have strong content becasue they think only "Kids" play video games because they are narrowminded idiots who don't do research or care about facts. These are the people who would cause Rocket grief if he implemented anything to do with suicide in DayZ just because DayZ is a hot topic right know and he is right to be wary.

I am 40 and also have been playing video games since Pong and I personally do not hold the view that video games are "just for kids", quite the opposite. I also don't beleive films, tv, books, etc influence murder/suicide.

I''m sorry you did not understand my position or that I did not make it clearer.

• Like 1

I love the fact people are challenging, and bringing up real and serious issues. That is why I do the pending update threads - I have already gotten significant benefit from this threads for things I did not consider.

But seriously, you guys fucking eat each other alive in here sometimes.

I've never seen discussions so quickly degenerate into pretty much "I hope you get cancer" within two or three posts.

DOH!

Thank you for reminding me!

[insert obligatory cancer related insult here]

<3

. Soon I am going to be causing further damage to the EU financial situation and some kind of bust-up in the Kardashians...

I have no god damn chips left in my freezer....why did you edit them out in the last patch!!! Grrrrrr

Looks cool, but does this update fix any crashing? My comp keeps crashing while playing the game! :(

Looks cool, but does this update fix any crashing? My comp keeps crashing while playing the game! :(

You need to sacrifice more beans.

I'm having a serious issue with run not being able to be toggled, whether I double tap it or hold it, I am forced to abort and then relog in order to fix this issue. This would hinder my gameplay substantially if this is released before the toggle problem is addressed.

"The establishment" is the politicians/news media/knee jerk reactionist types who will jump on any bandwagon for headlines. These are the ones who scream and shout when video games have strong content becasue they think only "Kids" play video games because they are narrowminded idiots who don't do research or care about facts. These are the people who would cause Rocket grief if he implemented anything to do with suicide in DayZ just because DayZ is a hot topic right know and he is right to be wary.

Suicide is a serious issue, both in game and out of it.

But it is not something I'm prepared to gamble the project on, it's just not that important. Same with some other controversial things, such as drug's and cannibalism. They are all things I think, would become particularly relevant and prominent in any survival situation (I know first hand). But they also need to be carefully considered. I'd rather the standalone wasn't delayed simply because a newspaper or tv show want's a controversy so does an expose on how the game is causing/promoting x, y, and z.

• Like 5

Agreed. How can Cherno AND Elektro not have a SINGLE bicycle? wut

Tandem bikes at that...to encourage working together (or for an easy sniper double kill, depending on your state of mind) :)

Edited by Zombie_Mike

It was removed because it is inaccurate. Visibility depends on individual zombies with elements of randomness and many factors. The visibility number you saw, no longer makes sense. It is just part of the equation. The result now is much more complex.

Ok, thanks for the answer tho..

:)

Suggestion for preventing Abort/ALT-F4 while in combat.

When leaving a server (clicking 'Abort'), the player should be prompted with:

- a coutdown timer of the time left until his character is actually removed from the server and the player disconnects form the server.

- an option of 'Exit Now.' which would allow the player to disconnect from the server but would leave his character (or a replacement entity) in the server standing still, susceptible to damage, death, ect.... (ALT-F4 would cause the same effect as 'Exit Now')

This is a system that World of Warcraft also uses and I think it would fit Dayz fine. Since the death factor in DayZ is alot more important due to it being permanent for each character, I would say that the countdown timer should be of 25 or more seconds of length.

Edited by Kazaki
  • Like 1

Wouldn't it be easier to just put a logout timer? Like when a player hits logout, it starts a 5-10 second timer with a cancel button. The player model will trigger to sit or prone when logout begins.

This would solve ALL your DC problems.

[NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play

I just ran around my kitchen table with my mouth open, waving my arms around over my head(think Macaulay Culkin).

Suggestion for preventing Abort/ALT-F4 while in combat.

When leaving a server (clicking 'Abort'), the player should be prompted with:

- a coutdown timer of the time left until his character is actually removed from the server and the player disconnects form the server.

- an option of 'Exit Now.' which would allow the player to disconnect from the server but would leave his character (or a replacement entity) in the server standing still, susceptible to damage, death, ect....

This a system that World of Warcraft also uses and I think it would fit Dayz fine. Since the death factor in DayZ is alot more important due to it being permanent for each character, I would say that the countdown timer should be of 25 or more seconds of length.

Agreed. I'm going to spend more time on this issue and going to trial something more extended around the disconnection despawn times..

However, quid pro quo... I will do this only in return for a ceasefire agreement between the RDF and the ARA,,,

• Like 6

and some kind of bust-up in the Kardashians...

just dump the morons at churno well take care of the rest for ya ;-)