rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

Please, for the love of all that is sacred in the world.

Can people PLEASE accept that:

This update - will only LOG your LOGIN, LOGOUT, DISCONNECT

IT WILL NOT BAN YOU

SWAT TEAMS WILL NOT DESCEND FROM THE CEILING AND HEADSHOT YOU WHEN YOU PRESS ALT-F4.

LOGGING OUT TO ATTEND TO A SICK RELATIVE, WHO IS ON FIRE, AND BEING MUGGED WILL NOT CAUSE YOU TO BE PERMA-BANNED.

I laughed pretty hard, <3 you rocket!!

What about us people that logout from a server cause its the lag is intolerable or logout cause the server says gmt-8 and when you get in its gmt+1 for example? Will we get on the banlist? How fair would that be?

what do you guys think about removing shift-left click map markers? i say yes.

[...]

2) Having tents on mulitple servers at the same location. If one is switching gear between these tents, it can result in a lot of server hopping especially if you have a big group. (Sidenote: We'd rather not put all of tents on one server because if it gets raided we're screwed, if the server disappears were screwed, etc...)

[...]

To me this one has a smell. You have a big party running and hide away stuff in different tents on different servers and complain about not beeing able to swap items between several tents on identical places ... in your several universes? I undestand you don't want to loose your stuff but Dayz is definitely not intended to be used like that.

But I agree with you in your first point. One may not be used to the dark or just dislike playing when its dark.

A possible solution to duping, Why not save the players character on logout, would this not solve all the issues of duping. if i am wrong, please explain how.

It always seems like one person skims the main post, misses the point, then immediately starts screaming in outrage. Then everyone just reads his post and ignores rockets main post. IMHO all you have to do is check to see if rocket's post has been updated, and like 80% (arbitrary majority) of the confusion is cleared up.

Dude, over the course of 4 days of full play I crawled from Pustoshka to the Cherno Hospital checking every Deer Stand along the way and the Air Base above Balota. When I finally made it to the Hospital late late late on the fourth night, eyes teary, back aching, recently injected with morphine and a back pack full of medical supplies, I went to the office building near by and got shot buy some dude hiding under the stairs... Cheers....

You must have been mentally exhausted after that. But how invested in your character wear you at that time? Must have been one hell of an emotional journey (Even though bad) and that's what I like about this game. No other game I have played has made me feel like this mod. It sucks sometimes but it keeps me coming back. If easier options are added I wonder if it takes away from the experience. The only way to know will be to test It.

• Like 1

To me this one has a smell. You have a big party running and hide away stuff in different tents on different servers and complain about not beeing able to swap items between several tents on identical places ... in your several universes? I undestand you don't want to loose your stuff but Dayz is definitely not intended to be used like that.

But I agree with you in your first point. One may not be used to the dark or just dislike playing when its dark.

Agreed but just log the day or night part and allow for more disconnects on night servers that dont punish you

I have read stories of how people have had to crawl miles through zombie infested towns just to find a hospital just so they could repair a broken leg with morphine.

That seems like it would be a pretty epic experience when you finally find that morphine.

I did that once. Since then I ALWAYS get morphine before, I travel or when like yesterday I end up with a mag more and all my morphine is gone and the one in the backpack is gone too when I find an Alice pack. I also once wanted to die and needed totally blurred 5 zombies until I was dead as I instinctively started to shoot them. I think it's a good idea. Running an hour to you team mates and they to the meeting point then they are all tired and log out sucks though.

One could though make meeting points everyone has to travel to a day before, like in real life.

Just a few questions about updates.

Will the direct communication bug be fixed?

can it be fixed?

is rocket even aware of it?

is anyone even aware of it?

I have one question about alt+f4 mechanics

a lot of dayz servers are laggy, and often you have to login and logout multiple severs b4 you can fintd one you comfortable with

does it mean that it will put you on Hive anti alt+f4 radar ?

so now i have to accept ever if i connected to bad server and countinue plaing not to get banned ?

What about us people that logout from a server cause its the lag is intolerable or logout cause the server says gmt-8 and when you get in its gmt+1 for example?

Even if we are not headshoted yet :D, that is extremely annoying. I have to log in to sometimes 5 6 servers until I don't play in total darkness. Personally I also hate the servers that tag you in the distance, but want 3dp on so you don't get a seizure after 2 hours running and looking at a wonky screen,

Just a few questions about updates.

Will the direct communication bug be fixed?

can it be fixed?

is rocket even aware of it?

is anyone even aware of it?

Direct communication bug? There's no bugs with that anymore.

I have one question about alt+f4 mechanics

a lot of dayz servers are laggy, and often you have to login and logout multiple severs b4 you can fintd one you comfortable with

does it mean that it will put you on Hive anti alt+f4 radar ?

so now i have to accept ever if i connected to bad server and countinue plaing not to get banned ?

Great question! I wonder why no one else thought of that before! We will just have to wait for some answers since nobody else have asked this multiple times and no answers have been given.

Even if we are not headshoted yet :D, that is extremely annoying. I have to log in to sometimes 5 6 servers until I don't play in total darkness. Personally I also hate the servers that tag you in the distance, but want 3dp on so you don't get a seizure after 2 hours running and looking at a wonky screen,

And for you, I suggest you to disable head bobbing. Then you won't have any excuses to go to 3rd person enabled servers. You know, to watch over walls, barriers, hedges etc. without putting yourself in a danger.

• Like 3

Hi Rocket,

Thank you for all the work you all are putting into this mod. I am a big fan.

I have a question regarding the new Alt-F4 logging and please keep in mind that I am not familiar with the intricacies of the code and limitations of Arma 2.

Rather than using algorithms to detect the frequency of log in/log out, is there a way to differentiate the ways in which one logs out?

For instance an Alt-F4 log out does not go through the menu options of abort and disconnect. Could something be put in place where if the player uses the proper methods to log out using the menu, certain values could be set to indicate this whereas an Alt-F4 log out bypasses this proper log out confirmation making it recognizable?

This could then instantiate some sort of timer where the player character is left in game for a period of time as punishment. Something like that maybe.

Hopefully this isn't naive but just a thought I wanted to share to possible help avoid unnecessary work to prevent this.

Although I am still an advocate for a log out timer like other MMO's to solve the issue in one swoop but you know what is possible in the mod so I try to keep that in mind.

Thanks again and great job!

This is just nibbling around the edges of the problem.

It should be solved at the base level. Otherwise the hackers will always be one step ahead. They are exploiting vulnerabilities because DayZ is using ARMA 2 in ways it was not intended. It was designed as a very trusting application.

Dealing with the root cause is the only solution, and no amount of forum butt-hurt will change the reality that it needs to be dealt with in source.

True that.

offtopic: I think there is a little bug with bleeding caused by Infected hit right after clientstart and login and get hit by an Infected. You will always bleed. Should be a quick fix I hope.

New players always losing their only bandage :(

Everyone posting about logging in and out to find day or night servers I would like to recommend DayZ Commander. If gives you the option to sort by time. Now it's not a 100% fool proof because it relies on the time listed in the server description and those are sometimes wrong. But you will get a server with the right time 70-80% of the time eliminating logging in and out to find a day or night sever.

Great question! I wonder why no one else thought of that before! We will just have to wait for some answers since nobody else have asked this multiple times and no answers have been given.

Here's an answer... When you find a good server, ADD IT TO FAVORITES. Join servers that you have been to before and you know are working. If you just keep randomly joining servers you are going to come into problems.

One thing that i have seen several times now is the ammo for the bizon pp19 sd disppearing, and even the weapon itself is gone from my inventory in just a few logs. What gives?

Rocket, keep the respawn button; However, using it within 5 minutes of a new character you will transform you into a giant pink carebear. Problem solved.

• Like 3

Rocket, keep the respawn button; However, using it within 5 minutes of a new character you will transform you into a giant pink carebear. Problem solved.

That would be fun to see on youtube

I still think on the Alt/F4ers it should put up a big florescent arrow right above there heads that flashes Shoot ME !!! and they cant get rid of it until death, i think it would stop soon after that

Firstly, we will do what DayZ always does... we will collect data.

At the same time, initially, login cooldown will be applied (and grow) where you transfer to another server, and cooldown will be applied significantly if you try and reconnect to the same server (with an alive character). Once we have enough data, we will use that to determine algorithms that detect a players behavior over a period of time. This will allow us to then start applying warnings > punishments > database bans; to those players who continue the behavior.

I hope you are not too harsh with the punishements. If the game was bug free then sure, ban all cheats but when i log on to find my primary weapon gone and someone attacks me before i can find a new one - damn right i'm going to log off and switch servers.