rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

ALT F4 users should win a permanent IP BAN !!!!

From programmatic point of view its hard to differentiate between alt+f4 and genuine DC due to PC freeze/internet crash/cat on a keyboard.

yes, program can catch alt+f4 combo, but ppl will just start killing program with some other program. Its not had to have cmd prompt opened and use pskill to kill arma2oa.exe..

Only solution is logoff/logon timer -> if you DC, you are in game, standing still/laying down for 30 seconds. after that you disappear. All additional logouts after that in some time frame extend this period, time frame beeing 1 hour..

Its not hard to find a cover when you really need to go, so that 30seconds its not a problem. At the end: its only a game, if you get killed you can start all over. Get some friends to save you some stuff that you really need to start all over..

If you have borked internet, dont play. Put your cat in other room. Fix your PC first.

I understand what you are saying but can't agree with it. According to you the game has "fun" parts - shooting zombies/players with your group and "boring" parts - running alone through hostile areas. You want to be able to skip the "boring" parts and get straight to having fun. But the "boring" part is as much part of the survival simulation. This is a slippery slope, what next - autofill canteens with water when you are near wells/ponds? Auto-cook meat when you have required tools in your inventory? All these boring, unnecessary actions just steal your quality time. Maybe you want checkpoints too, to return to the last checkpoint before you died?

And now you are gravely misunderstanding my point, and are putting words in my mouth. You think I want to skip "boring" parts? ROFLMAO!!! What boring parts? You're the one assuming that I find certain elements of this game boring. This is where you seem to completely misunderstand what I am actually saying. I will give you an example of something that just happened during the gaming session I had with two other friends yesterday evening...

Friend #1 and I had been playing the game for about 1-2hrs before friend #2 finally got the game installed and was able to actually get into it. Mind you, this was friend F#2's first time playing, and F#1 and I were in Nizhnoye on our way up toward Berezino, when F#2 finally spawned in (at Kamenka)... in order to meet somewhere in the middle, travel time could easily have taken well over an hour (possibly over 2hrs), especially given F#2 was brand new to the game and had no idea what he was doing. Thus, we had him respawn, to see if we could get him just a bit closer to us.... simply to cut down on that travel time! NOT to cut it out entirely!!! So, his second spawn was near Otmel/Kamyshovo. THIS was acceptable to us, as it cut that travel time in half! Basically, we simply had him head up the dirt road from Kamyshovo, heading into the hills towards Msta, as we made our way back down from Nizhnoye. This travel time still took us about 30mins (give or take), and none of it was boring! We all enjoyed every moment of it. In fact, F#1 found a bus on our way back down, so it was a great adventure!

Now sure, it would have been a great adventure making the even longer trip as well, but when it's 8pm and everyone only has around 2-3hrs left to play before they need to head to bed, we did NOT want to spend that entire amount of time simply GETTING to our friend. We wanted to get grouped up as quickly as possible so that we spend as much of that time as possible adventuring together, which we did. We went and got gas, to fill up the bus. We killed some livestock in order to finally have a chance to make a fire and cook some meat, which we found thoroughly entertaining and definitely NOT boring in that we had to do it manually. In fact, it is so much better to have to do it all manually. This is the same reason why we play Minecraft in survival mode, and not creative mode. Everything we create is done manually, because it's more fun that way!!! So the fact that you think that I'm making some point about any particular aspect of this game being boring... Again, you are gravely mistaken!

The simple fact of the matter is... while there is absolutely an element of adventure and survival within simply having to run through hostile territory in order to meet with friends... that same element of survival and adventure exists when grouped up with friends as well. And it's not about us finding it "boring" to do those things... it's that we would RATHER be doing them together with as little "travel time" TO each other as possible in the beginning.

However, I will add a caveat to my standpoint... Let's say F#1 and I were WAY far inland, and no where near the coastal spawn points... this is where I would disagree with allowing F#2 to spawn AT the spot where we are at. Or if one of us died, I would not agree that the dead group member be able to respawn with his group. Instead I would absolutely feel that in such situations the long travel time would have to be necessary... So if you feel that that is what I was getting at, you'd again be mistaken. I only feel that people should be able to better group up NEAR the main coastal spawning areas in the beginning (as new/fresh spawns), so that they can START their adventure together just a bit more easily.

Hence why I gave two IDEAs for a solution to this...

1. You allow people to choose an AREA to spawn in, and the game then randomly chooses a spawn POINT within that area (and the areas could be quite large). Or...

2. You allow people to spawn in as a group (as long as everyone is a "new spawn"), but don't allow them to choose where. It just randomly spawns the group at a random point.

Hell, you could even possibly combine these two... but alas, I hope you get my point by now. None of this game is boring to us; adventuring and traveling is not boring one bit! Doing all the manual actions, such as filling canteens and cooking (etc), also not boring! The ONLY thing that irks us, is that if we are all brand new spawns, and we want to try and meet up, it can be more of a daunting task (1-2hrs of travel) that just doesn't seem worth it at the very beginning, especially if any of us have only a limited amount of time to play. AND, odds are one of us might die just trying to reach each other, which would mean they'd be respawning again anyways! So why not just allow this for groups of people from the get-go?

Let's take my idea #1 above, and put it into a scenario... Let's say that the 3 of us are all brand new spawns, and we all choose to spawn in at Cherno (for example). The game then puts one of us on one side of Cherno, and the other two on the other side (or any different # of combination of spawn locations around Cherno)... We would still have to travel TO each other, and possibly thru hostile territory just to get to each other... the only difference would be that the INITIAL TIME it will take to meet up is going to be significantly less.... this would, of course, allow us to spend that time gearing up together, as well as going out and spending the majority of our time adventuring and surviving together... I mean, if I want to try and survive alone, I'd play the game alone! Simple as that.

So please don't put words in my mouth and think you understand what my point is... for you obviously are stuck in your own perception, and only care to see it your way and your way only... and so, as it seems, when someone shares any differing opinion it becomes a threat to your own opinion... which seems to put you into attack/defend mode. "No, you're wrong. I don't see it your way! MY way; MY opinion is better!" Oh how I find the "better than" complex in some people SO entertaining!

But when it comes right down to it, I could care less about arguing with you. I'm making my point(s) for Rocket to see. If you think my opinion is flawed, that is simply your perception, and is acceptable. I personally UNDERSTAND the opposing opinion quite well... I just don't think the opposing position is all that well thought out, as all it seems to come down to is making statements such as "this is supposed to be hard," or "this is meant to be a survival simulation." (etc etc)... I get that! But, as I said before, it's also still a video game, and if we really wanted to get into it, we could get into SUCH a huge discussion on how UNREALISTIC certain elements of this "simulation" are... but that is neither here nor there!

So again, if you only want to respond to this by telling me how much you disagree... save your breathe. I don't care! Rocket, like myself, I'm sure understands both sides of this argument, and will test things in the manner he wants to test them. It's his baby; his creation! I simply am being vocal, because I know that I am not the only one with the perception I hold, and I feel I am intelligent enough to express this perception eloquently... and w/o saying anyone else is wrong for having a different opinion... I may not agree, but that's life!

Anyways... I'm sure plenty of people will think this is tl;dr... which again, is totally fine... it wasn't meant for them anyways! Peace! ;-)

Edited by Chameleon

* [NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play

Uh ok, so when I spawn in some stupid location like kamenka or krutoy cap, I'll have to go find some zombies to kill me?

Who the heck wants to spawn in the middle of nowhere anyway? If I get a spawn anywhere other than balota, cherno or elektro I respawn, because I want to play dayz, not marathon simulator.

Uh ok, so when I spawn in some stupid location like kamenka or krutoy cap, I'll have to go find some zombies to kill me?

Who the heck wants to spawn in the middle of nowhere anyway? If I get a spawn anywhere other than balota, cherno or elektro I respawn, because I want to play dayz, not marathon simulator.

Its part of a survival game. CoD is -> that way..

Its part of a survival game. CoD is -> that way..

Congratulations, I complain about something so you assume I must love call of duty, as if that's a derogatory statement anyway. I guess it seems so to the ~hardcore~ hipster like PC gaming master race who hate the ~mainstream~ cod franchise.

I don't particularly enjoy it, but using it as some kind of high horse facilitator is just stupid.

Spawning in the middle of nowhere is not an inherent property of a survival type game anyway. If it was then nobody would spawn in cherno or elektro.

now how will this effect my charecter when im at the frozen loading screen or other such server bugs that causes me to crash out the game and try 4-6 servers within 10 min trying to find a good server.

• Like 1

Dear rocket,

thanks for the great mod. Now here's someting simple that I haven't yet seen proposed by other users.

I think that so many ppl are ready to ALT+F4 or disconnect/connect because they can do it anonymously. Would it be a terrible idea to show disconnect/connect messages on the server data flow? Also, often times you could draw a conclusion "Hmm... I was just shooting the guy who went behind a bush and now George1111 disconnected. He's probably gone now." and even more importantly "Oh, now Georege11111 reconnected. I'll need to be very careful now."

This is clearly a kind of a "debug monitor" thing as we wouldnt wanna see a constan conn/disconn flow in a final game. But considering the stage of DayZ and the frustration that aborters cause...I'd be happy to see this kind of debug data.

The truth.

Taking away the respawn function WITHOUT having a respawn selector or something along those lines is purely problematic. People will still essentially respawn, but instead they will just find zombies to kill them instead. And what happens when you spawn in the wilderness and haven't a clue where you are? Do you run for 20 minutes to find one stupid zombie to end you?

I know you won't listen to this, but please dont remove it before you actually implement something better. Its just not needed. There are so many other stupid bugs and fixes you could implement, why bother with this for now? I'm still falling through rocks and dieing, having zombies glitch through stairways and "oneshot" me. Just an hour ago I died on my atv because i couldn't cross a little bridge that didn't even have water underneath.

I hope you reconsider.... <_<

Spawning in the middle of nowhere is not an inherent property of a survival type game anyway. If it was then nobody would spawn in cherno or elektro.

I just wanted to point out, that game shouldnt be easy or less boring. If you happen to find yourself in a z apoc, can you choose where you gonna wake up? You were washed on a shore from some boat that was evacing..

Random spawns are there to add some diversity. And I have spawned for at least 20 times now and not a single time I was in cherno/elektro.

Spawning adds a bit of a shock: where am I? Where is the food? It would be too easy to always start somewhere close to food drops, water drops. PPL need to learn how to survive without knowing where they are..

• Like 3

Poor "hive reputation", which will come to include many factors - including alt-f4 behavior, will result in a database ban. This means your playerID will not be accepted on DayZ servers, and you cannot play DayZ.

So you're saying that if my game freeze and my Esc button wont help, i will get warnings for alt-f4?

So you're saying that if my game freeze and my Esc button wont help, i will get warnings for alt-f4?

ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN BECAUSE OF ONE ALT+F4!!!

IF YOUR COMPUTER FREEZES TOO MUCH; FIX YOUR PC FIRST I GUESS!!

FFS GUYS!!!!!!

jezz, can we get tl;dr?

First post. Rest is mainly people placing emphasis on certain words or intention, blowing it out of proportion, and then others arguing with them.

tl;dr:

I am trying out some logging and performance changes in a closed test.

• Like 5

The truth.

Taking away the respawn function WITHOUT having a respawn selector or something along those lines is purely problematic. People will still essentially respawn, but instead they will just find zombies to kill them instead. And what happens when you spawn in the wilderness and haven't a clue where you are? Do you run for 20 minutes to find one stupid zombie to end you?

I know you won't listen to this, but please dont remove it before you actually implement something better. Its just not needed. There are so many other stupid bugs and fixes you could implement, why bother with this for now? I'm still falling through rocks and dieing, having zombies glitch through stairways and "oneshot" me. Just an hour ago I died on my atv because i couldn't cross a little bridge that didn't even have water underneath.

I hope you reconsider.... <_<

The change is being made for PERFORMANCE reasons. Disabling respawn will hopefully increase the overall performance of the mod.

• Like 1

I just wanted to point out, that game shouldnt be easy or less boring. If you happen to find yourself in a z apoc, can you choose where you gonna wake up? You were washed on a shore from some boat that was evacing..

Random spawns are there to add some diversity. And I have spawned for at least 20 times now and not a single time I was in cherno/elektro.

Spawning adds a bit of a shock: where am I? Where is the food? It would be too easy to always start somewhere close to food drops, water drops. PPL need to learn how to survive without knowing where they are..

That works iff you play alone, but if you want to play with friends, which is by far the most enjoyable way to experience dayz, then where does not knowing where you are leave you?

Would be better realize 20 second delay before the player during log off.

Russian players will be used to turn off the electricity in the house to keep the loot :D

First post. Rest is mainly people placing emphasis on certain words or intention, blowing it out of proportion, and then others arguing with them.

tl;dr:

I am trying out some logging and performance changes.

Uff, hey Rocket. That tl;dr was intended for post above mine, but somebody posted in between.

Keep up the good work tho, I like all the changes!

tl;dr:

I am trying out some logging and performance changes.

SUGGESTION: lock a thread like this so only your posts are in it. Put a link in the first post to a thread for we of the forum rabble to jabber and feedback. These new forums make it difficult to weed out your posts amongst all of the chaff.

• Like 1

SUGGESTION: lock a thread like this so only your posts are in it. Put a link in the first post to a thread for we of the forum rabble to jabber and feedback. These new forums make it difficult to weed out your posts amongst all of the chaff.

As much as I get pained by many replies, some of the perspectives are so valuable they are worth all the pain and suffering they are surrounded by.

• Like 8

Page 45 and still they only post the same questions and discomfort -.-

if you don't read this thread stop posting shit or questions that already answered.

* [NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play

So does this mean we can respawn OUT of DayZ play without effecting servers, e.g. Go on the website or in Profile click respawn or something. As when I'm in the middle of a forest not a single clue where I am I have to find a town/city without ANYTHING over the 225km2 Land?

Please, keep Respawn or make it so you can respawn on the "Profile" Section of the game or even on the forums?

ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN BECAUSE OF ONE ALT+F4!!!

IF YOUR COMPUTER FREEZES TOO MUCH; FIX YOUR PC FIRST I GUESS!!

FFS GUYS!!!!!!

Orrrr we can get the servers to fix there shit. 80% of all problems is because there is 50 different beta patches and servers running multiple patches. Need to mandate every server to the latest patch so every client will match.

Honestly, I think the amount of discussion dedicated to alt-f4 is laughable. If you force someone into doing it, it means you've won completely and you can continue your journey. If they log back in they'll be in seriously bad shape, assuming you got some damage on them.

Personally I'd rather see more improvements and focus towards how the game plays, not on how others play the game.

Just my two cents.

Edited by King Midas

That works iff you play alone, but if you want to play with friends, which is by far the most enjoyable way to experience dayz, then where does not knowing where you are leave you?

The part of whole exp in DayZ is to orient and to try to survive on your own. There are other MMORPG games where you can play with friends..