rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

It still shouldn't be changed until SOMETHING BETTER has been added, my point is completely valid.

The only people who benefit from this are the little lone wolfs who want to spend their time running through woods to find a can of beans, Everyones opinion of whats fun in the game is different, and this change only caters for those type of people.

haha this guy ^^^

<< this little lone wolf runs into a grub with a ghillie suit and unloads a clip into his back.. oh ok you alt f4'd...

I undertsand your frustration for the "playstyle" this change will affect.

Just need some config changes and then helicopters will appear on the changelog. Expect it, but as always, it won't appear on the changelog until it is done and confirmed.

I love you Rocket :D

Have Military Offroads been added back to the game too? They all vanished in 1.7.2 :(

Again, the mod can do little more to curb hacking. This is an issue that is solved/dealt with through the source in the engine itself, in assistance with BattlEye. In some ways, DayZ is already going beyond what it "should" do as a mod to prevent hacking and that is why it breaks single and multiplayer if you have DayZ activated when you run ArmA2.

That's sad to hear :(

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in the thread already, but at 47 pages and counting I'm struggling to find it:

Why go to the trouble of trying to determine if someone is legitimately logging out vs combat logging when the simplest AND (seemingly) most effective fix is a 5-20 second period after logging out, in which your character remains in the server in the position you were last in? No complex algorithms, no false positives and hence no angry players waiting on a manual review. If someone could shed some light on why this isn't the solution it'd be greatly appreciated.

As for spawn location, removing respawn is fair enough and so is the idea that you don't get to choose your spawn location IMO. However, to cater for people who like to play with friends, there needs to be a mechanic by which players CAN spawn together/nearby but still at a random location.

Rocket , any fix for the ammo glitch this patch?

(not sure if that's an Arma 2 or DayZ thing)

good job anyways

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in the thread already, but at 47 pages and counting I'm struggling to find it:

Why go to the trouble of trying to determine if someone is legitimately logging out vs combat logging when the simplest AND (seemingly) most effective fix is a 5-20 second period after logging out, in which your character remains in the server in the position you were last in? No complex algorithms, no false positives and hence no angry players waiting on a manual review. If someone could shed some light on why this isn't the solution it'd be greatly appreciated.

As for spawn location, removing respawn is fair enough and so is the idea that you don't get to choose your spawn location IMO. However, to cater for people who like to play with friends, there needs to be a mechanic by which players CAN spawn together/nearby but still at a random location.

pretty sure rocket said adding a 20 sec timer caused massive performance issues.

pretty sure rocket said adding a 20 sec timer caused massive performance issues.

Correct. It is possible we may be able to extend the time, given the recent optimization and updates by BIS in the beta patches. But I am taking a cautious approach to the update (something which I believe appears to be lost on some of the posters in this topic...)

• Like 1

So really I think the people complaining about maybe their Internet or power fails or they try and find a good server are more or less telling me they like to alt f4. I don't alt out and I have no problem with the upcoming changes.

This Rocket guy is smarter than you think he isn't going to push an update that will ban half of his player base.

Also looking for a good server? Stop using crappy six updater and use dayz commander.

i use dayz commander, and it still takes about 4-5 attempts to find a decent server on average.

maybe your local servers are reliable, but at least my experience with servers local to the UK/europe - there are a lot of servers with chronic fps issues, full of artifacts or have 60+ second desync yellow-chain lag spikes.

not to mention there's only about half a dozen servers in the list with <50ms, with -12 hours GMT (daytime), nameplates off and 3rd person on. which is how i prefer to play. often the gametime will be incorrect in the description. i don't mind playing at nighttime from time to time, but if you can't play during real daytime due to work/obligations etc then it's rediculous perma-darkness and you can't see anything...

i'm not bothered by this update, because i trust that rocket won't punish legit disconnect/reconnecting to find a good server, because it's a necessity for a large number of players. rocket didn't really specify the exact punishment or anything yet (as far as i can tell), only that it would track login/logout authentications... therefore complaining/arguing is kinda premature.

i'm totally against alt+f4 myself, and i've never done it - not even when killed by a hacker. i would support a system as follows:

using 'abort' should begin a 10 second countdown in which time you can cancel the attempt (to perhaps defend yourself). this is tried and tested already in RPG's like diablo 3 and WOW, and works pretty well. if you alt+f4 (or any bad logout attempt), then your character should remain logged in for 10 seconds, but you can't see/hear anything and thus can't defend yourself - in addition this can chalk up a marker against your account. then after X bad logouts in a period of time, you start getting cooldown.

Edited by tarquinbb

Correct. It is possible we may be able to extend the time, given the recent optimization and updates by BIS in the beta patches. But I am taking a cautious approach to the update (something which I believe appears to be lost on some of the posters in this topic...)

5 seconds is more than enough time to kill someone.

I'm all for the Anti ALT-F4, god knows the amount of times it's happened to me.

I'm just worried as it takes me 3-5 server switches when i'm starting out on a new session to find a server that gives me good fps, daylight settings, isn't lagging and De-syncing like mad and other issues.

I don't want to be penalized for this and at worst get a ban.

• Like 1

Again, the mod can do little more to curb hacking. This is an issue that is solved/dealt with through the source in the engine itself, in assistance with BattlEye. In some ways, DayZ is already going beyond what it "should" do as a mod to prevent hacking and that is why it breaks single and multiplayer if you have DayZ activated when you run ArmA2.

I think the 500k people that recently bought ArmA 2 CO bought it to play this mod, and don't really care about breaking the base game. I for one, would rather see these 'script kiddies' unable to do their business, and get killed by zombies like the rest of us.

Having a 10 day old character killed by some butthurt loser running a script is a much bigger issue than

"* [NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play

* [NEW] Optimized authentication process on login

* [NEW] Singleplayer mode disabled when DayZ is loaded

* [NEW] DayZ Logo and Version Number appear in game when DayZ is loaded

* [NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (for use with preventing ALT+F4)

* [FIXED] Infected cannot hear weapon firing (now they actually hear again)

* [FIXED] Clothing no longer spawning (now it spawns as it used too)"

Because at the moment, none of this matters until people can play it again and see what bugs are in the game.

• Like 2

Tell us a little bit about the optimization & updates, and the un-confirmed performance updates. I'm interested to know how my fps is going to be affected(improved?).

The most stressful thing while trying to play this game, is that cities cause major fps lag.

5 seconds is more than enough time to kill someone.

Depends on circumstances. I was 50-60m out from big warehouse in Solnichniy just the other night facing the open doors with a guy prone just inside door. Using m1911 I took a couple of pot shots and missed and he ran around the corner behind wall. He had no escape as I could see both doors and was running at the warehouse. Think he was still there when I got there?

I really like the removal of respawn option

It would really encourage survival

Nowadays, lots of people just give up so easily and suicide.

But you guys have to know that there is nothing more fulfilling than surviving that hard situation.

Removing the respawn option would encourage people to at least try to survive.

• Like 2

I think the 500k people that recently bought ArmA 2 CO bought it to play this mod, and don't really care about breaking the base game. I for one, would rather see these 'script kiddies' unable to do their business, and get killed by zombies like the rest of us.

Having a 10 day old character killed by some butthurt loser running a script is a much bigger issue than

Because at the moment, none of this matters until people can play it again and see what bugs are in the game.

you are on the wrong forum buddy

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?9-ARMA-2-amp-Operation-Arrowhead

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer. I like dayz a lot: I hope at least the cummunity with a lot of skilled programmers out there can do something with making some tools for server runners.

*Gives some beans* . Keep up the good work.

It still shouldn't be changed until SOMETHING BETTER has been added, my point is completely valid.

The only people who benefit from this are the little lone wolfs who want to spend their time running through woods to find a can of beans, Everyones opinion of whats fun in the game is different, and this change only caters for those type of people.

No, Rocket said he MIGHT implement a way to pick a spot to spawn, he never said it WOULD be implemented. The change of removing respawn was to test how the game played without being able to along with helping performance, not to test how a "pick another spawn point" system would play. Its alpha, features are supposed to be added, features are supposed to be removed to test how it plays with functions on/off. Removing respawn is one of those things, lets see how it goes a month from now.

Edited by Suspenselol
  • Like 2

I miss bandit skins :( This bring some social aspects in this game, now its like CS on big map with much time for looting something.

Okay, let me put it like this:

1. I cannot realistically do any more to curb hackers in the mod, because this just alters game data and not the source.

2. Therefore, do you think it is sensible for me to do nothing else. This would involve me, probably, taking a holiday and maybe visiting my family. Or sleeping. Now, these sound like great ideas - I but I figured I would keep developing while those who can deal with the hacking issues... do.

So, should I just take a holiday? or carry on?

• Like 9

nice changes. fixing ammo bug would also be great. this bug is game breaking :(

No, Rocket said he MIGHT implement a way to pick a spot to spawn, he never said it WOULD be implemented. The change of removing respawn was to test how the game played without being able to along with helping performance, not to test how a "pick another spawn point" system would play. Its alpha, features are supposed to be added, features are supposed to be removed to test how it plays with functions on/off. Removing respawn is one of those things, lets see how it goes a month from now.

To add to this comment, the respawn was never intended to be used the way it is. Therefore, I need to confirm if the original design idea was a good one, or a terrible one. For this we actually need to test it and not base it on opinions here. Because clearly, there are people who think it is a good idea and those who think it is terrible. The test may never make it out of closed testing so you might not even experience it.

• Like 5

removing respawn button is a good thing. if u spawn in kamenka then just deal with it.

• Like 3

Login is only recorded when your client broadcasts a "success" message to the central server.

Logout is only recorded when you use the "Abort" menu item.

On a server crash - you will have no "logout" so your login will be ignored.

On ALT-F4 - you will receive a "disconnect" entry, affecting your reputation.

On a client crash - you will receive a "disconnect" entry, affecting your reputation (over a period of time). You can use RPT files to ask for a manual review.

Here's a few issue I've run into.

You log in and get stuck on "waiting for character to create" or "Loading" etc, and you have to abort to get out. Happens more then I would have thought it would.

Then there are the empty servers. Where you run around looking for loot and there is nothing. No empty cans to be found. No ammo, no nothing. Just zombies with no way to equip.

Also the hackers are out of control, They can destroy a server in seconds and people flee. I've logged into 4 servers in a row and had to leave them because of the rampant hacking going on, they make the game unplayable.

Finally. All the damn private and password protected servers out there. Hell there is a server that even says "Fuck you Rocket and the Dev team" and lists as private. What's going to be done about these? Thought the point was to survive the zombies and other players and not be able to run to a safe server to gear up.

Edited by Biytor

I hope at least the cummunity with a lot of skilled programmers out there can do something with making some tools for server runners.

This is just nibbling around the edges of the problem.

It should be solved at the base level. Otherwise the hackers will always be one step ahead. They are exploiting vulnerabilities because DayZ is using ARMA 2 in ways it was not intended. It was designed as a very trusting application.

Dealing with the root cause is the only solution, and no amount of forum butt-hurt will change the reality that it needs to be dealt with in source.

• Like 7