rocket

Build 1.5.8 rolling update

Can someone enlighten me on what the 'fixed zombie numbers' item is?

Is it actually zombie numbers or just spawn rates as was originally announced?

Scroll wheel remains for interacting with objects (in your world) as it was intended.

For interacting with individual inventory items' date=' you right click. This caused a massive performance increase.

[/quote']

Any ETA on when vehicles will start to be added back into mission id's? Im the host of dallas 11/12/14/15 and soo to be 16/17/18 and i would very much appreciate vehicles on my servers :)

Thanks

Furball

Guest ragequitalready

I made a forum account just so I could complain about the following:

* [FIXED] Fog is way too thick

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the fog' date=' even when it was at its thickest. It made playing in the day a little more challenging, and safer considering players couldn't see you from miles away.

Night time is more enjoyable and challenging because of the difficulty seeing. While it is good in the day to be able to see, and there's nothing wrong with clear days, the days with fog are the most fun.

[url']http://i.imgur.com/pZaDr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/K6fb8.jpg

Fog like this was quite rare anyway, so I can't see how it was a problem

Since I'm here though, I'd like to ask about the following:

* To light a fire' date=' you need matches and wood in your inventory. Place more wood in the inventory of a fireplace to keep the fire going.

* A fire that does not have wood in it will go out when you try to light it.

* [NEW'] Fire requires wood to keep burning

This is unnecessary, soon the game will be a walking simulator with fetch quests rather than just a walking simulator.

If people join the game with the new patch and can't find wood, let alone the already kind of rare box of matches, then they won't be able to make use of the fire at all.

It would be great to know where wood spawns.. Do you have to cut down trees? Do they spawn at those piles of logs and nearby sheds, or among tree stumps?

Or do they just spawn in generic loot piles you can find around the place

Also, do the barrels you can light fires at around the cities and towns need wood as well? Do they confer the same benefits as a camp fire?

And is the benefit of a fire based on a radius or just being next to one to revert temperature?

* This is a pretty major update. I don't really know what affect the new sickness and temperature system will have on player behavior especially with antibiotics being so scarce.

* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection from already infected players

I found anti biotics once' date=' but didn't take them because they had no implemented use.

Are they as rare as a can of mountain dew which I've only seen once?

[url']http://i.imgur.com/TTb8Z.jpg

I will miss pellets on the Winchester, which were great, but now the Remington is even more appealing

I can't find information on keeping warm: is it only by lighting a fire or is going inside a shelter enough to stave off infection? If it is just fire then many people are going to be dead before they find their first box of matches.

If other players are infected, is it only hearing them cough that lets us know? Can there be a visual cue such as their mouths moving (such as when direct VOIP is used) and maybe a puff of condensed air comes out, similar to the one from suppressed weapons.

That way if we see a player from a distance we know we can avoid them.

Is the rate of blood decline similar to that when you haven't had a drink or eaten in a while? (10 blood per second I think it is).

I had a quick look at the 'I HATE TEMP' thread, and I think temperature is a good thing just some information is lacking.

- Temperature goes down WAAAAY too fast in bad weather

- It is too easy to catch an infection

- Firewood isn't spawning enough

You should make the possibility of catching an infection a rate based on your current blood level, with a multiplier for weather.

If you have the full 12000 blood, your chance should be 0.001 (where 1 is 100%). If you have less than 10,000 blood, your chance should be 0.1, and if you have less than 6000 blood it should be 0.5 or something of the sort. If you have less than 3000 blood (where players start passing out), then 0.8 would be more than enough.

A clear day should have a multiplier of 0. Night time should be a multiplier of 2. If it is raining, depending on how cloudy it is, the multiplier could range from an additional 2 (light shower) to 4 (for thunderstorms, thick fog, and heavy rain).

Thank you rocket and your amazing team. Keep up the amazing work! This is the best thing to happen to gaming in a very long time.

Are there plans to add warmer clothes or something aside from fire to deal with the temperature? The map is huge and mostly empty forest, and it seems like temperature is going to make it a huge pain in the ass to move across if you have to stop and warm up at a fire every 5 minutes.

ETA on the hotfix rocket?

for the temp matrix?

thank you for an amazing mod though mate

i havnt been this involved with a game for a very long time :)

Regarding the amount of zombies spawning and the 'carebears' comment' date=' Rocket was clearly just kidding.

On the subject though, I would prefer massive swarms of zombies if they actually moved appropriately. Instead they warp, lag, rubber band, zig zag at amazing speeds... clip through walls... I've been playing competitive FPS games since the early 00's but trying to land a shot on a zombie in the open world is like trying to headshot someone with a speedhack.

[/quote']

Amen.

scruffy: "second"

ooo the adrenaline boost that the simple action menu change brings! Having to open up your inventory to right-click and think fast to where the fuck you put those bandages, morphine, etc. Good time's, cheers.

[NEW] Various Loot spawn balancing changes

Didn't read that earlier you sneaky bastard! Not sure what the fuck it means exactly, but I hope it means that loot is more spread out and not just stockpiled in major city's, airfields, and dear stands.

Glad they nerfed the Winchester. It was unrealistic. 15 shotgun rounds in one tube?

do you know your Rifle History - NO Shot Shells ....... but w/Pistol ammo ....

Henry Rifle .44 Cal Rim Fire 15 rounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_rifle

no reason really not to have a 'shotgun' - there are modern .44 mag Shot Shells for Pistols ..........

Ummm... do YOU know YOUR rifle history? The 1886 is not a Henry rifle, but they do fire similar rounds in the rifle version. .44 Henry and .44-40 Winchester are (for the most part) interchangeable. There is a shotgun variant of the 1886, but it sure doesn't hold 15 rounds of 12 guage 2-3/4 inches. The game originally confused the shotgun with the rifle. Now they got it (mostly) correct. Slugs will behave similarly to a Henry in .44-40 Winchester, and pellets are now gone.

The gun in DayZ is a "shotgun", but they're going to treat it like the rifle version which actually does hold 15 rounds. We'll just treat slugs like .44-40 rounds for now to make it more (but not exactly) accurate.

Awesome bro!

Thank you for the update.

You have put a lot of time into this and it is much appreciated.

If not fixing the night then please have perma-day servers for those of us who just can't cope with the night being so dark. Throwing flares just gets us killed and so does any other light source. If zombies didn't aggro light at all then I'd be fine with it to be honest.

The up date should be this

* dayz_code 1.5.8

* dayz_equip 1.2.4

* dayz_sfx 1.1.2

* dayz 1.2.5

* dayz_weapons 1.1.2

but at the download page it looks like this

DayZ_Changelog.txt 21-May-2012 22:21 24064

dayz_anim_v0.1.rar 15-May-2012 06:14 32782149

dayz_code_v1.5.8.1.rar 21-May-2012 22:39 139444

dayz_equip_v1.2.4.rar 21-May-2012 22:21 14866900

dayz_sfx_v1.1.1.rar 21-May-2012 22:21 30288650

dayz_v1.2.5.rar 21-May-2012 22:21 11080317

dayz_vehicles_v0.1.rar 15-May-2012 06:14 5611547

dayz_weapons_v1.1.1.rar 21-May-2012 22:21 14276475

the sfx and weapons files have different version numbers.

High rates of life halving infection that pass from player to player means more incentive to shoot on sight, and bandits camping the 3 hospitals on the map for easy kills. hope yall are ready for the new de facto 6000 blood maximum

Glad they nerfed the Winchester. It was unrealistic. 15 shotgun rounds in one tube?

do you know your Rifle History - NO Shot Shells ....... but w/Pistol ammo ....

Henry Rifle .44 Cal Rim Fire 15 rounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_rifle

no reason really not to have a 'shotgun' - there are modern .44 mag Shot Shells for Pistols ..........

You are right. The gun should really be the 1887 Even though a lever action shotgun is a poor design. But besides tactical shotguns there are just not any regular shotguns in the ARMA 2 library. So we have to work with what we have. And if the gun is going to be nerfed then revert it back to the .44 long, cap its accuracy at 180 meters and call it a day. Or remove the gun entirely and for lack of other options besides the Saiga, replace the winchester drops with them take away slugs.

hands down best game ever. If i could imagine a dream game this would be it, no spoon fed missions or levels or classes, everyone brings their own unique set of playing styles, tactics and skills to the game. while being equipped well might improve your chances of survival there is no guarantee you wont die from any of the numerous things that you have to battle to survive. Your updates are brilliant and I am seriously grateful to be apart of this unique gaming experience in a industry where you find it a rare thing for games to take a chance and try new things. Thank you for the mod and the updates keep them coming.

Tried using bandages after I killed a bandit on a updated code server. After I killed him, I had gotten beaten by a zombie, but he didn't notice me and thought the zombie was trying to come after him. After he got the zombie away, Ikilled him but was wounded. Tried applying bandages to no avail. The bandages kept disappearing from my inventory when I'd right click. Lost a ton of good loot I had, and the bandit had. I got to search his gear while I waited 5 minutes to bleed out. Awesome.

Alpha or not, you might want to consider a different approach to how you handle update roll outs going forward, now that you've got close to 10,000 players.

Suggest maybe forwarding players to a temp page while the .rar files are still updating to your mirrors or something? That will keep people from slamming your servers to get latest until the update is ready to go.

this new flares thing working is such a major improvement it changed totally the game for me.

this server drop was bandit skin being removed?