ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

I would just make it so the servers have a different hive so you would have to create a character on every server you haven't played on, also not all the community is made of assholes like that

I think every time you wanna leave one server to enter another you should start at the coast or even better way way up north..

The ability to construct shelters and machines would help greatly. If it is stand alone a massive map would be great. Already players try to use barbed wire and sandbags to make shelters. Making full shelters would be better, gathering componets like with cars. But just to make it more complex- you should insert blueprints. They need these to make the shelter and no the components. Then there could be expansions and add ons. Of course though a blueprint doesn't work only once. They should take no inventory space and truly have their own space. I know this may seem like a lot but it would make the game enjoyable even further if it is stand alone. Major wars could be waged over player made cities and on private servers they could make something like castle wars. Each team would try to build and take down the other.

Suggestion 2:

The ability to take apart weapons and make peices fit together or something along those lines. Imagine an M4A1 with an LMG clip and Sniper scope. The combinations could be endless. And maybe as suggested before blue prints could be required. A game with this aspect has never been done and it can be a truly unique feature that no one else has. Only a toolbox would be needed or maybe if you impliment my first idea a workbench in a building? Not just shelters but storage units and the like.

Edited by TheDarkPhantom

''Scopes should not be portrayed by an overlay'' is kind a stupid.... I dont know anybody who would snipe with both eyes open hehehe :) If u snipe one eye is closed.. which means ur view is limited to what scope is showing ...

For base building, there could be spawns of sandbags and wood piles. Like an ammo pile but just like 300 sandbags or a 50 planks. You could pick up as many as you can carry or whatever and then then there could be an otion to "build wall" or something which uses a certain number of them up. The size or type of construction would need different numbers of sandbags. You could do the same for other stuff. You could build stuff out of wood found in farms, or combinations of different stuff. The number of units in any one spawn could be random and the difficulty in transporting them would mean you wouldn't have bases springing up all over the map too quickly. You would need to have limits on vehicle capacity obviously,

It would give people something to do other than gear up and then find a way to die.

Imagine, if you spent long enough you coul have a whole new town built! Not sure what restrictions there would be with servers though. Is there a limit to how many "objects" you can have?

I would love to see ultimate enemies that would force players to have to team up to defeat them. Zombies unfortunately don't cut it, at least right now. I've never felt like I'm in a situation I cannot get myself out of when zombies are involved. I'm not saying get rid of zombies, but they pose no threat.

What if there were creatures lurking in the deep woods of Chernarus. What if they were fast, sprinting 10ft tall beasts that would hunt you if you came within eyesight of them. Creatures that could not be easily killed by a lone soldier. They should be loud roaring animalistic beings. Imagine the terror of walking through the woods in near pitch blackness and hearing a distant roar.

They should take a lot of bullets to go down (at least 1 full magazine of 7.62).

This would force people to want to team up down south so they might survive when travelling north towards the military loot. The higher north you travel, the more of these creatures you would encounter.

One idea would be to make it so the creatures would not stray too far from their wooded area. This would force players out into the open, and make them vulnerable to being spotted by other survivors.

The dynamic shift that this would cause in the game is exactly what I think DayZ needs. I think people are somewhat fed up with PVP at this point. But with these creatures lurking in those empty, terrifying areas of Chernarus that are uninhabited at present, it would bring fear back to the game.

I would love to see ultimate enemies that would force players to have to team up to defeat them. Zombies unfortunately don't cut it, at least right now. I've never felt like I'm in a situation I cannot get myself out of when zombies are involved. I'm not saying get rid of zombies, but they pose no threat.

What if there were creatures lurking in the deep woods of Chernarus. What if they were fast, sprinting 10ft tall beasts that would hunt you if you came within eyesight of them. Creatures that could not be easily killed by a lone soldier. They should be loud roaring animalistic beings. Imagine the terror of walking through the woods in near pitch blackness and hearing a distant roar.

They should take a lot of bullets to go down (at least 1 full magazine of 7.62).

This would force people to want to team up down south so they might survive when travelling north towards the military loot. The higher north you travel, the more of these creatures you would encounter.

One idea would be to make it so the creatures would not stray too far from their wooded area. This would force players out into the open, and make them vulnerable to being spotted by other survivors.

The dynamic shift that this would cause in the game is exactly what I think DayZ needs. I think people are somewhat fed up with PVP at this point. But with these creatures lurking in those empty, terrifying areas of Chernarus that are uninhabited at present, it would bring fear back to the game.

Sounds like a deathclaw. Might be fun but somehow it doesn't fit with DayZ.

• Like 1

I like the idea of having a big monster lurking around and going more up north there should be more, but like Shadow man said it doesn't fit in. There should be some kind of other type of zombie or creature to kill. To make people team up put in slender (just a suggestion) slender man is a messed up creature who picks off loners at night and sometime daytime. So if there was a slender people HAVE to team up or they might get killed and if slender appears they can try to shoot it but without help they would miss, slender teleports and if you had a group you would be able to easily kill it and it will drop stuff from the previous victims slender killed

I don't really know how it wouldn't fit in. I think it's perfect. If it's a viable idea that a virus has mutated human brains and turned them into flesh eating zombies, I would assume that the infected's muscles could mutate and cause all kinds of hideous disfigurements, creating a huge monster zombie. I just think that something overly large would have a more daunting effect.

I don't think slender is a good way to go. Rocket would hate how unrealistic that would be.

Ok, i would like to add some ideas as well. I think that a basic skill system would be in order,

For example, medic/engineer/tracker, some skills that could evolve and as you practice them more, you get better at them(BUT having a maximum number of points, so that you can't perfect them all)

For example, medic, you talked about:

Defibrillator

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Friendly player required for use. Used to attempt to restart the heart after it has failed. Success rate of 60% compared with 30% for CPR.

Let's say that if you have max skill on medic, you can have higher chances on CPR ~60% and ~90% With the Defibrillator,

Also crafting, shouldn't always give your a 100% chance of success, especially on higher grade equipment(make shift weapons/ buildings)

This is where the engineer comes in, and by maxing this skill, you should be able to get better chances at a higher quality(fences, walls, buildings, last longer if under attack)

Since the game is made on Arma 2.5, i'm guessing the map would be a lot bigger compared to the one that we have now, so, having a map, would help but it shouldn't always give you the exact location, so if you are without a gps, you pretty much have to guess all the time where you are. Only exception should be when you are in a town, there you should be able to see where you are on the map, just to make it a little easier to navigate around it, and plan your "looting fest" better.

Also this is where tracking comes in the game, if you walk around the map enough, and if you stop to "mark" your location, depending on how accurate you are, you should get points for it, the advantage being that when you max it, you should be able to see you location on the map, within a 10-20 meter radius.(big 20m circle on the map would appear every time you check it, but the middle shouldn't always bee the exact location where you are, sometimes you could be right on the edge of the circle)

Also, in the case that the map will be of a good size to be able to have "clans", this next idea would benefit the developer and the game, encouraging pvp between different groups.

Have a donation system, where player can pay how much they want, and at the end of the week, there should be a random military/medical support drop(which depends on how much money has been donated), the day should be random(Friday/Saturday/Sunday) at random hours. but the players that pay should get a heads up on the day, and the estimated coordinates where the drop point will be, this way, will minimize the chance of "freeloaders", but they also should have a small fair chance, so, there should be a plane passing by, that if they see, they can try to scout around, maybe they get luck and find the place as well.

This would be a small war zone since everyone will try to get their hands on the dropped boxes which will contain higher grade weapons, ammo(mainly) and medical supply(the amount of how much will be dropped will depend on how much money will be donated; this way will help the game devs more to keep the game up and running, and will help the speed at which the game is developed and new content added)

Hope you guys understand what i'm trying to say, and that i didn't express myself too weird and mixed

Ok, i would like to add some ideas as well. I think that a basic skill system would be in order,

For example, medic/engineer/tracker, some skills that could evolve and as you practice them more, you get better at them(BUT having a maximum number of points, so that you can't perfect them all)

For example, medic, you talked about:

Defibrillator

Uncommon. Found in larger first aid kits, ambulances and hospitals. Friendly player required for use. Used to attempt to restart the heart after it has failed. Success rate of 60% compared with 30% for CPR.

Let's say that if you have max skill on medic, you can have higher chances on CPR ~60% and ~90% With the Defibrillator,

Also crafting, shouldn't always give your a 100% chance of success, especially on higher grade equipment(make shift weapons/ buildings)

This is where the engineer comes in, and by maxing this skill, you should be able to get better chances at a higher quality(fences, walls, buildings, last longer if under attack)

Since the game is made on Arma 2.5, i'm guessing the map would be a lot bigger compared to the one that we have now, so, having a map, would help but it shouldn't always give you the exact location, so if you are without a gps, you pretty much have to guess all the time where you are. Only exception should be when you are in a town, there you should be able to see where you are on the map, just to make it a little easier to navigate around it, and plan your "looting fest" better.

Also this is where tracking comes in the game, if you walk around the map enough, and if you stop to "mark" your location, depending on how accurate you are, you should get points for it, the advantage being that when you max it, you should be able to see you location on the map, within a 10-20 meter radius.(big 20m circle on the map would appear every time you check it, but the middle shouldn't always bee the exact location where you are, sometimes you could be right on the edge of the circle)

Also, in the case that the map will be of a good size to be able to have "clans", this next idea would benefit the developer and the game, encouraging pvp between different groups.

Have a donation system, where player can pay how much they want, and at the end of the week, there should be a random military/medical support drop(which depends on how much money has been donated), the day should be random(Friday/Saturday/Sunday) at random hours. but the players that pay should get a heads up on the day, and the estimated coordinates where the drop point will be, this way, will minimize the chance of "freeloaders", but they also should have a small fair chance, so, there should be a plane passing by, that if they see, they can try to scout around, maybe they get luck and find the place as well.

This would be a small war zone since everyone will try to get their hands on the dropped boxes which will contain higher grade weapons, ammo(mainly) and medical supply(the amount of how much will be dropped will depend on how much money will be donated; this way will help the game devs more to keep the game up and running, and will help the speed at which the game is developed and new content added)

Hope you guys understand what i'm trying to say, and that i didn't express myself too weird and mixed

I disagree with all of what you have said, sorry :/

Edited by goleastro

I understand, but alas I must second what goleastro said: I disagree with pretty much everything you said! lol sry =)

Let me quickly address your main points:

• Skill systems do not fit with DayZ, and have been definitively ruled out by the devs. Instead, "if you are good at something in real life, you should be good at it in-game too" --> Rocket said this (I'm paraphrasing).
  • I don't see how defibrillators would be of any real use in DayZ; of all the ways to die in the Zompocalypse, heart failure seems pretty low on the list. Also, defibrillators require power (batteries) to work -- just sayin', that's another factor to consider.
  • The new SA map has been dubbed "Chernarus Plus" and will indeed be larger with more enterable buildings.
  • Under no circumstances should there be map markers of any sort, other than what you could realistically scribble on the map with a pencil! I repeat: without a GPS in your possession, there should be NO map markers, neither in towns nor elsewhere! Anything else is totally inauthentic and cheat-easy.
  • There is already an abundance of clans and group PvP in the DayZ mod. What servers do you play on anyway?
  • A donation system for random loot drops? Are you serious? Just think about it for a moment... it's a pseudo pay2win model under the guise of "donations" and you wouldn't even be guaranteed access to the loot drop! There would be no end to the QQing and flaming and trolling and hating and more hating...

I hope I don't come across as overly rude but I just had to deconstruct that post of yours :P

This might have gone up already but I was just wondering the background story of DayZ. While I was looking at the released screenshots of revised house interiors it go me wondering.. Not how did this happen or why. Mainly I was thinking in what time scale this all happened? Was it very sudden or did people have time to act?. If any of you have been watching The Walking Dead, mostly season one and the few first episodes, there is a sense of panic in the interiors. Everything is messed up and stuff is literally all over the place. Those guys had some time before leaving their homes. On the other hand have any of you seen pictures from Fukushima after the nuclear incident? Let me give you a picture. In those houses there is normal household items on their places on tables and so on, basically nothing is messed up. Those people did not have time to get things from their homes. When the "bell rang" they got up and left their homes.

tl:dr

Screenshots of house interiors in DayZ standalone seem a bit too clean to me.

So the question is in what time scale did "dayz" incident happen? Should the houses be messed up like in every other zombie movie or should they be peaceful and clean?

I understand, but alas I must second what goleastro said: I disagree with pretty much everything you said! lol sry =)

Let me quickly address your main points:

• Skill systems do not fit with DayZ, and have been definitively ruled out by the devs. Instead, "if you are good at something in real life, you should be good at it in-game too" --> Rocket said this (I'm paraphrasing).
  • I don't see how defibrillators would be of any real use in DayZ; of all the ways to die in the Zompocalypse, heart failure seems pretty low on the list. Also, defibrillators require power (batteries) to work -- just sayin', that's another factor to consider.
  • The new SA map has been dubbed "Chernarus Plus" and will indeed be larger with more enterable buildings.
  • Under no circumstances should there be map markers of any sort, other than what you could realistically scribble on the map with a pencil! I repeat: without a GPS in your possession, there should be NO map markers, neither in towns nor elsewhere! Anything else is totally inauthentic and cheat-easy.
  • There is already an abundance of clans and group PvP in the DayZ mod. What servers do you play on anyway?
  • A donation system for random loot drops? Are you serious? Just think about it for a moment... it's a pseudo pay2win model under the guise of "donations" and you wouldn't even be guaranteed access to the loot drop! There would be no end to the QQing and flaming and trolling and hating and more hating...

I hope I don't come across as overly rude but I just had to deconstruct that post of yours :P

'Nuff said!

This might have gone up already but I was just wondering the background story of DayZ. While I was looking at the released screenshots of revised house interiors it go me wondering.. Not how did this happen or why. Mainly I was thinking in what time scale this all happened? Was it very sudden or did people have time to act?. If any of you have been watching The Walking Dead, mostly season one and the few first episodes, there is a sense of panic in the interiors. Everything is messed up and stuff is literally all over the place. Those guys had some time before leaving their homes. On the other hand have any of you seen pictures from Fukushima after the nuclear incident? Let me give you a picture. In those houses there is normal household items on their places on tables and so on, basically nothing is messed up. Those people did not have time to get things from their homes. When the "bell rang" they got up and left their homes.

tl:dr

Screenshots of house interiors in DayZ standalone seem a bit too clean to me.

So the question is in what time scale did "dayz" incident happen? Should the houses be messed up like in every other zombie movie or should they be peaceful and clean?

if you read the post under the pictures it was stated that the dirt etc was being added in at a later stage... they were just after the basis for starters.

(sure i read that somewhere)

im also one that is in favour of these idea's

i personally like the zombie section - the majority of zombies will have missing body parts from being eaten at death etc, so they will be slow when on initial just walking aimlessly. and as suggested, they group up or on hearing sounds walk in that direction.

this seems more realistic to how zombies roam. which brings in the dynamics of survivors grouping up..

you see a large hoarde in elektro, near the shop. figures they all there cos some idiot shot there gun. you look through your binocs at the shop and see some badly needed loot that would keep you and a few others alive... as a group.. you coulld send parties out to make noise to attract the zombies away from the shop allowing a quick and easy loot extraction..

I have an end-game mission idea. At some point after acquiring end-game rifle, backpack and nav, an NPC girl (or boyfriend) starts tagging along with you. The trick is, they are wheezy asthmatics and required low-spawn ventalin every few days. An incentive for keeping them alive (no slots like dog) would be new weps, cars etc... NPC drops hints of wep, car location every time ventalin relief is given. Also, girl/boyfriend can be stolen away by any player holding 2x ventalin (giving one to NPC).

Make hordes roam in the forests. Big ones, about 50-100 rotten fuckers in a single one. Even if one detects you, all will rush. Nowhere to hide - just run until you fall. If you are lucky enough to spot it at a distance - crawl away. If not - you'll need a group. Even a MG won't help. AND PLEASE NO FUCKING SLENDERS AND OTHER MONSTERS.

• Like 1

Very good question. Instinctively, I would say a zombie infection would take some time to spread -- at least a few days, really more like weeks and months -- so overall you'd think most survivors would have time to prepare before they leave their homes. Of course, by the time you enter an abandoned house in Chernarus, it would likely be in considerable disarray no matter how clean the original inhabitants left it, due to zombies roaming through it, other survivors raiding it, or the simple passage of time. I'm certainly anxious to see how they handle the whole back-story in the SA.

I have an end-game mission idea. At some point after acquiring end-game rifle, backpack and nav, an NPC girl (or boyfriend) starts tagging along with you. The trick is, they are wheezy asthmatics and required low-spawn ventalin every few days. An incentive for keeping them alive (no slots like dog) would be new weps, cars etc... NPC drops hints of wep, car location every time ventalin relief is given. Also, girl/boyfriend can be stolen away by any player holding 2x ventalin (giving one to NPC).

I'm pretty sure there will be no "end game," they want it to be open-ended til the end. And I thought I heard somewhere that NPC's had been ruled out (besides doggies of course). In any case your idea made me chuckle -- the Ventalin thing is... original -- but I doubt it would really work tbh.

Make hordes roam in the forests. Big ones, about 50-100 rotten fuckers in a single one. Even if one detects you, all will rush. Nowhere to hide - just run until you fall. If you are lucky enough to spot it at a distance - crawl away. If not - you'll need a group. Even a MG won't help. AND PLEASE NO FUCKING SLENDERS AND OTHER MONSTERS.

Yes, yes, YES!

I hope I don't come across as overly rude but I just had to deconstruct that post of yours

Well, that was just a set of ideas, and nope i don't mind, i was just thinking, since Rocket said that weapons will have wear and tear, it would be a good way to keep adding high grade weapons to the game.

Also about the map, i'm thinking once you are in a town, you would pretty much know precisely where you are on the map, that would only be a mini aid, to help navigate a town faster so that you can know exactly where you want to head.

On the skill part. it's not really that advanced, and overly focused on it, like you said Skill systems do not fit with DayZ, and have been definitively ruled out by the devs. Instead, "if you are good at something in real life, you should be good at it in-game too", BUT ... you always can learn new stuff.

Anyway, like i said just some ideas, and i guess they would fit better in a single giant world where all players are on the same server. Hope in time the game will get to that point too(i'm sure on this no one will disagree with me .. well probably server hoppers will :D )

Also about the map, i'm thinking once you are in a town, you would pretty much know precisely where you are on the map, that would only be a mini aid, to help navigate a town faster so that you can know exactly where you want to head.

If you know exactly where you are, why would you need a map marker? You either know or you don't. I don't like map markers.

(...) i guess they would fit better in a single giant world where all players are on the same server. Hope in time the game will get to that point too(i'm sure on this no one will disagree with me .. well probably server hoppers will :D )

Hm I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. Not sure if that's how the devs envision it. I suspect it's not technically possible, since you would need an enormous map to accommodate thousands of players all at once. In principle, it would be pretty neat, but I fear it's an impossible thing. Just think of Minecraft, it doesn't work like that there, either, and Minecraft uses low-end GFX compared to DayZ!

I'd like to see some random skill set generation upon spawn. Some spawn as medic, some as mechanic, some construction skill set. These specific skill sets would be required to say cure a disease when sick or repair a vehicle. Adding this feature would give the game a more realistic edge and force some co-operation between survivors. Discoverable text books could also be in the loot table to educate your character to becoming a more self sufficient survivor. Other possible skills could include hunter(for gutting and preparing food). Aviator for flying.

I'd like to see some random skill set generation upon spawn. Some spawn as medic, some as mechanic, some construction skill set. These specific skill sets would be required to say cure a disease when sick or repair a vehicle. Adding this feature would give the game a more realistic edge and force some co-operation between survivors. Discoverable text books could also be in the loot table to educate your character to becoming a more self sufficient survivor. Other possible skills could include hunter(for gutting and preparing food). Aviator for flying.

*sigh*

Edited by Bakst

I'd love to see random, wearable, civilian clothing, not just gear with a function, but random clothing and LOTS of it. Also different sorts of food, maybe catch crayfish or something else that people don't normaly think of as a primary source of food.

If nothing else then some variation on the canned food. Simply a text saying "canned mushrooms/ canned pineapple/ canned ham". All of these would be nearly equal as a source of food, just adding a bit more variation to the game, thus adding a bit of realism.

• Like 1

*sigh*

ya it must be awfully tiring being the imaginary boss mod of the forums. Btw this is a suggestion thread not a i hope my suggestion doesn't cause perplexing angst to Bakst the controller of imaginary forums mod. Go critique your moms movember mustache u arrogant cheese dick.