Max Planck

dayzmod.com - Aug 2012 - Q&A with Rocket

post-34627-0-67824700-1343634680.png Questions from Russian question thread

Q: What is the concept of the zombies in DayZ? Are they classic walking\running deadmen or are they just living people who are infected by some virus which makes them wild and crazy and they show cannibalistic behaviour? [Dedulka]

Q: Can you think of any, at least approximate, ETA on the final product? The stable game without current bugs, lagging and armies of cheaters? [2006]

Q: You mentioned snow blizzards and different weather conditions for standalone game in a recent intervew. Do you plan to implement seasons of the year (1 week = 1 season) or it will be tied to one location (like in Skyrim)? [17th]

Question:

Q. The greatest effect that is impacting my DayZ gameplay experience is encounters with exploiters/hackers. What is combating this in your priority?

Edited by Zutha

Can you make Direct Communicion mandatory for servers? Without it there is no way to communicate with other players.

Will we ever get a heavier vehicle sometime in the future like a Hummvee, a BRDM/BTR or even a T-34 (like I suggested before the old forum broke)?

Added.

Q. My friend recently did a poll on the AK spawning too much for how powerful it is and as a replacement adding the SKS. 95 percent of people voted to add the SKS. Would you add the SKS or a similar weapon to the game to balance things out?

Look here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3141-banditsurvivor-morphing-to-be-removed/page__st__160#entry32219

Is the Military Offroad still in game?

Added.

post-34627-0-67824700-1343634680.png Questions from Russian question thread

Q: What is the concept of the zombies in DayZ? Are they classic walking\running deadmen or are they just living people who are infected by some virus which makes them wild and crazy and they show cannibalistic behaviour? [Dedulka]

They are not classic zombies, they are infected people. [source: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6455-reply-to-rocket-about-zombie-ai/#entry66664 ]

Q: Can you think of any, at least approximate, ETA on the final product? The stable game without current bugs, lagging and armies of cheaters? [2006]

Q: You mentioned snow blizzards and different weather conditions for standalone game in a recent intervew. Do you plan to implement seasons of the year (1 week = 1 season) or it will be tied to one location (like in Skyrim)? [17th]

Answered or added.

Question:

Q. The greatest effect that is impacting my DayZ gameplay experience is encounters with exploiters/hackers. What is combating this in your priority?

Merged with question #31.

Can you make Direct Communicion mandatory for servers? Without it there is no way to communicate with other players.

I have never heard of servers that have Direct Comms turned off, can you verify this?

How can 12 year olds get a copy of Arma II? Isn't there some kind of mature content law that forbids them to buy copies of the game on Steam?

(I checked with them, they bought it on their own account, but on daddy's credit)

Edited by S3V3N

I have never heard of servers that have Direct Comms turned off, can you verify this?

Check FR58. Its disabled. And yes, the little mic is showing up when I press capslock. Also direct chat doesnt work. So the only conclusion I can take is that its disabled.

There should be a disableVoN flag in the server.cfg file that needs to be set to 0. Also, when my server was new, direct comms didn't work reliably. It took about 3-4 days IIRC. Before then, sometimes it worked, sometimes not (voice or text).

So it seems like a server setting which can be disabled.

Edited by iLikeNoobies

How can 12 year olds get a copy of Arma II? Isn't there some kind of mature content law that forbids them to buy copies of the game on Steam?

(I checked with them, they bought it on their own account, but on daddy's credit)

Arma 2 is PEGI 18. But if parents are not monitoring his childs activity at computer... he can do whatever he wants. Steam cannot verify age. Credit card is not a subject to verify. It's totally a parental guidance issue.

Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail

Arma 2 is PEGI 18. But if parents are not monitoring his childs activity at computer... he can do whatever he wants. Steam cannot verify age. Credit card is not a subject to verify. It's totally a parental guidance issue.

Well, thats not actually true. The reseller needs to verify if the buyer is 18+ or riskes being fined. But since you can fill out every age on Steam, and there is no further verification if you filled in the truth, people can evade the pegi rating easily. According to the law its not allowed.

Check FR58. Its disabled. And yes, the little mic is showing up when I press capslock. Also direct chat doesnt work. So the only conclusion I can take is that its disabled.

So it seems like a server setting which can be disabled.

Okely-dokely, added.

How do you feel about your vision for this experiment turning into a nonstop griefing game?

How do you feel about the ridiculous amount of asinine hyperbole on the forums, clouding any actual constructive discussion about the mod?

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Q: Regarding the concept of a "Tranquillity server"; if we are all to play on the same server, under the same rules and conditions, will that mean all players around the world will have to conform to the same day/night-cycle of 24 hours?

Q: any plans on poisons for food and water, so that the bandit/friend gets what he deserves?

Q: any plans for Snakes to put in backpack also a suprise for any who opens, snakes could work to get the venom to use as poison from for the food? and use like 5-10 different kinds of snakes and you need the right antidote else you die in like 30-60 min, also put them in the wilderness?

Q: tranq weapons and so that you can drag/steal them when the victim is under sedation and if its implemented he/she cant chat?

Q: Do you plan to have players have skill specialties so that shooting others has consequences (such as not being able to fly a helicopter because you're not a pilot, not being able to rebuild a car/truck because you're not a mechanic, having only limited medical skills because you're not a medic or even better a doctor, etc. etc.)? IRL people have specialties, why not do the same here?

Q: Regarding the concept of a "Tranquillity server"; if we are all to play on the same server, under the same rules and conditions, will that mean all players around the world will have to conform to the same day/night-cycle of 24 hours?

Added.

Q: any plans on poisons for food and water, so that the bandit/friend gets what he deserves?

Q: any plans for Snakes to put in backpack also a suprise for any who opens, snakes could work to get the venom to use as poison from for the food? and use like 5-10 different kinds of snakes and you need the right antidote else you die in like 30-60 min, also put them in the wilderness?

Q: tranq weapons and so that you can drag/steal them when the victim is under sedation and if its implemented he/she cant chat?

There's already a question about non-lethal weapons (#33 by RastaKoueR).

Your 'snakes-in-backpack' question is more of a suggestion really, is it not? You could make a thread about it in the suggestion forum, I'm sure everybody would be absolutely thrilled if Rocket decided to spend his coding time putting 5-10 different snakes into the game. Very good idea.

I've added this under your name:

Q: Any plans to add poison to the game? [Hedon]

Please let me know if you are dissatisfied with this.

Q: Do you plan to have players have skill specialties so that shooting others has consequences (such as not being able to fly a helicopter because you're not a pilot, not being able to rebuild a car/truck because you're not a mechanic, having only limited medical skills because you're not a medic or even better a doctor, etc. etc.)? IRL people have specialties, why not do the same here?

There's already a question about skills (#21 by L0GIN)

How is the DayZ project funded?

Added.

What's the vision for survival mechanics? For instance are you going to expand ways to get food (fruit, berries, WORMS). This could be done with other things like water or the medical supplies....

What system specifications are you basing your design around for the DayZ standalone game? Will we be able to run it on any old peice-o-junk or will we all need to go out and buy new PCs?

Q: Are you working alone or do you have programming support? Did any programmer reach out a helping hand yet or do you not consider freelancers over the net helping you for free or would you consider? And if yes, what would be the requirments?

• Like 1

Q: shouldn't you make day/night cycles shorter? Like 3 hrs day 2 hrs night, for eating 4 times a day and no more empty night severs?

Reason one: all night servers are empty.

Reason two: shorter cycles make it more realistic with eating cycle - now you have to eat 24 cans of beans per day! Cmon... You'll die of overstuffing yourself. In shorter day/night cycle you would eat 4-5 cans, that would seem more real.

Edited by vinss

Q: Are you going to force "1 character per server" policy? Question both for standalone and mod.

Q: The Gear/Inventory Menu is a big part of this game. Have you considered in the past or plan to implement a weight system that would vary change in speed in correlation with amount of gear?

• Like 2

Q. Can the hacking porblem be solved? Can we look forward to less bombs falling from the sky and teleports in the standalone version?

Vas.

Will side chat ever be a toggleable function similar to how 3rd-person is for servers?

What's the vision for survival mechanics? For instance are you going to expand ways to get food (fruit, berries, WORMS). This could be done with other things like water or the medical supplies....

how worried are you about the game feeling fair? e.g glitches/zombie attacks/knock downs

What system specifications are you basing your design around for the DayZ standalone game? Will we be able to run it on any old peice-o-junk or will we all need to go out and buy new PCs?

Q: Are you working alone or do you have programming support? Did any programmer reach out a helping hand yet or do you not consider freelancers over the net helping you for free or would you consider? And if yes, what would be the requirments?

Q: shouldn't you make day/night cycles shorter? Like 3 hrs day 2 hrs night?

Q: Are you going to force "1 character per server" policy? Question both for standalone and mod.

Q: The Gear/Inventory Menu is a big part of this game. Have you considered in the past or plan to implement a weight system that would vary change in speed in correlation with amount of gear?

Added.

Q. Can the hacking porblem be solved? Can we look forward to less bombs falling from the sky and teleports in the standalone version?

The hacking problem exist because of the arma engine and the fact that it allows you to inject scripts. In a standalone he can avoid this function. Rocket has stated this a few times already, you can find all his posts on his profile.

Will side chat ever be a toggleable function similar to how 3rd-person is for servers?

Is it not already? I know there are servers with side chat enabled, they must have toggled it somehow.

Also, check the answer to question #13.