Barnheezy

Why Day-Z Fails

*flame suit on*

While in some ways, I do agree with some things you said (I skimmed your post), you're not correct about this game "failing". It's at about 500k players, which is more than 90% of MMOs which charge a sub and are at least mildly successful. More players are logged into DayZ at any given time than have ever been logged into a game like Eve Online at once.

Oh it's this again. More whiney, spoiled, entitled little snot machines crying everywhere because DayZ is too hard.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Well ... in most FPS games you kill other players for f&ck all but maybe a semi. So at least you get loot here and if you don't want to shoot don't..

Scripting came after Half Life, now we are back full circle..

In Space[Kings]Quest you had to type words and spell them correctly.. shocker. :|

Eventually all games get boring, that's how it is. It's been a long time since I had nearly a cardiac cause a thunder went off in Game, lol. The best horror movies where the ones that made you imagine what will happen. Scanning the horizon to spot snipers. The ARMA bugs suck and eventually, i will also get bored. That's life. Well and you wouldn't post here so frustrated if your kit gets lost, cause it IS annoying. It's cruel and it sucks. And that's cool, it's supposed to be like that. :D The map size is cool, because you can avoid people, but suddenly you run into someone and it's all over.

Oh it's this again. More whiney, spoiled, entitled little snot machines crying everywhere because DayZ is too hard.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

No one said the game was hard. We actually were talking about how surviving is way too easy causing cod-like player killing.

And I will be back after a few <Major> patches.

Criticism people, learn to take, the dude was pretty polite when expressing his opnion, the forums are here for this kind of thing as well dammit.

Edited by Ingway
  • Like 2

Criticism people, learn to take, the dude was pretty polite when expressing his opnion, the forums are here for this kind of thing as well dammit.

i agree, but a lot of the things he criticized were not relevant to the initial concept behind the mod to begin with as stated by rocket (whether zombies or people are the threat, this being a zombie apocalypse simulator, etc). plus there's tons of threads about these things. i think those things generate some animosity in people on the other side. plus some of the way he framed his criticisms ("alpha my ass") could be phrased in a much less incendiary way. personally, i don't really care either way, but if the point is to avoid reactionary posts, there's steps that could be taken to minimize them.

it goes both ways. he said something, and now we're having a discussion about it. no need for anyone to cry foul

OP:

After reading the start of your post, I was expecting some intelligent criticism and suggestions. Instead what I got was complete drivel. We all know that the game is far from flawless, but your randomly hashed together complaints are both petty and useless. Spend less time formatting your post and more time coming up with something useful to say.

http://kotaku.com/59...-gameplay��This is what Day Z should be more like.

Exactly what dayz should NOT be like. Another game. Yes that game looks half descent, but its nothing new. Looks like Resident evil Gun surviver on roids. Dayz is like nothing before, and will grow to set the mark for survival horror. Just you wait.

Some people come and play dayz because it's a zombie survival game. Most people come and play dayz because they heard when you die you are fucked and it's all over, which is unique. Hence 1.38gazillion people flocking from other games to try it out. Most dying horribly and loving it.

If you came for a zombie game you are looking in the wrong place, the zombies are a means to an end. That end being a pvp environment where you actually really really don't want to die, at all. You effectively cannot respawn. You have one chance to get that fire fight right. That is the realism everyone talks about, not the fact you have to feed yourself.

The reason things are moving slowly is because dayz mod is also a means to an end. That end being having a mainstream game with the above pvp environment. Rocket is not trying to stop the hacks because this is on the arma2 engine, ever since operation flashpoint these BI engines have been dodgy broken things even after years of patches, you cannot polish a turd. The engine is a turd in the security sense. I personally loved opflashpoint and love arma too.

So to give the op what he wants, well let's be honest I think he wants to play a zombie game. There are better zombie games out now and on the horizon.

With regards to interviews rocket is doing , Imagine if he stayed at home trying to polish a turd(remove bugs and hacks) instead of looking to the future and trying to secure enough of the right kind of help to make the game we can all see growing inside the womb of this arma 2 mod.

I'd say stop trying to remove bugs rocket and go find the developer with the largest balls so we don't have to compromise on the harsh rules this experiment has shown we all want.

• Like 3

If rocket only fixed the ability to hack the game, I'd honestly be satisfied with a lot. Balance will come, no matter what you like to think, because its the essence of games.

I like a hardcore survival sim. I dont love PvP but its reasonable. Lets just agree this is HARDLY a failure...

Truthfully, I don't think it will come. Balance will only come if this mod gets taken over by a major publisher who follows the traditional guide-lines for their video games. It will not come as long as it's independently owned and operated by Rocket & his crew. He has said multiple times he is not interested in balance, and is only interested in recreating the authenticity. An example of this would be lowering the damage output of a .50 caliber sniper rifle, so that it isn't always a one hit kill. You can't do that if you want to stick with realism, because even if you hit someone in the leg with a .50 cal, it would take their leg off, and sever main arteries that would usually result in a person bleeding to death in minutes or even less.

Rocket has one vision for this game, and that's making it authentic. There is a difference between Realism and Authenticity . There are plenty of things in this game that aren't authentic, but he can only do so much without having a major uproar from the DayZ community, but even with that said... he's been very firm on catering to his vision, and no one else's.

Exactly what dayz should NOT be like. Another game. Yes that game looks half descent, but its nothing new. Looks like Resident evil Gun surviver on roids. Dayz is like nothing before, and will grow to set the mark for survival horror. Just you wait.

Yeah, I agree. Definitely not. That game looks like borderlands with zombies. I liked borderlands, and I'd probably like to play that game. But it's not a game one could sit down and keep playing for hours upon hours and still have that same amount of psychological attachment that you get with DayZ. There is no other game on the market right now that has me so on edge every time I play, except DayZ. No game gets my heart racing, gets me anxious, makes my forehead and palms sweat and has me trying to think 200 steps ahead either. That's what makes DayZ one of the best games ever made, and it's not even a full fledged game yet either, which is just miraculous.

• Like 1

1. OP-quote: In a true zombie apocalypse, the zombies would be enemy #1, not other humans.

Finally someone who knows what's going on during a serious zombie apocalypse!

Edited by Ubar1337Haxor

About you:

You are a sorry ass noob who is crying because he keeps dying and can't find any gear.

1. Okay, #1, This game is far from a simulation -Aside from zombies not being real and me not being able to hop to different dimensions(servers)- IRL you do not have unlimited stamina. I'm pretty sure if a zombie made you bleed you were going to be a zombie. More cars would be available, but gas would be priceless. Your person would suffer from depression due to the forced style of lone wolf game play (dont even say p2p interaction occurs, sniper bullets in your brain is not what i mean) There are a million things people could pick out if they wanted.

Just started reading this and facepalmed slowly.

"I'm pretty sure if a zombie made you bleed you were going to be a zombie." Okay? You just said zombies were fictional then you go on to say how you would be infected by a zombie that made you bleed. There's no inherent way the infection spreads, since it's fictional.. comprende?

"More cars would be available, but gas would be priceless." That's entirely dependent on your location.. remember this is isn't set in the city you live in.There may not be that many cars in this part of the world.

"Your person would suffer from depression due to the forced style of lone wolf game play" Soo.. what do you want? To hear your character sobbing every 10 minutes?

Some of these threads ...

About you:

You are a sorry ass noob who is crying because he keeps dying and can't find any gear.

Not true at all. Gear finding is easy... Especially if you hunt bandits.

1. OP-quote: In a true zombie apocalypse, the zombies would be enemy #1, not other humans.

Finally someone who knows what's going on during a serious zombie apocalypse!

I'm not sure about that Sr.

I love how some people actually think in the event of such a zombie apocalypse you would witness similar behaviours as in DayZ.

And then when you try to tell explain them why you think they are wrong they tell you that you're a carebear and that you have too much faith in humanity. Lol.

• Like 2

Other players ruin the game.

It's called PvP.

You knew it was PvP before buying the game. You knew you could get killed at anytime by anyone. Why did you even play the game if you can't stand PvP?

...MAKE THE GAME SO HARD THAT ALL THESE CAREBEARS THEMSELVES WILL BE SITTING ON A ROOFTOP IN CHERNO WAITING FOR A PLAYER WITH BEANS TO STROLL BY.....

Now thats sure to fix this to PVP or not to PVP. LOL

• Like 1

I love how some people actually think in the event of such a zombie apocalypse you would witness similar behaviours as in DayZ.

And then when you try to tell explain them why you think they are wrong they tell you that you're a carebear and that you have too much faith in humanity. Lol.

I'm sure we'd all be crying and drooling in a corner in a real zombie apocalypse, no matter how awesome we think we are. I know I would. (and I think I'm pretty awesome)

TS, to me it seems as though you're playing the wrong game. In one of your posts you list everything in the game as needing fixing. You mention running forever to get north, then getting shot. THEN you mention how easy this game is, especially if you just hunt bandits.

A lot of the things you listed as "wrong" are things I personally love about the game. You have to be realistic about the bugs, and the VERY early stage of the mod. I understand "it's in alpha" isn't a defence for everything, and expressing opinions is what IMPROVES the process, but in your posts you're going about it all wrong.

There are a lot of games I don't like. I do not expect them to change everything about the game to suit me. Whereas you seem to.

P.S, you want your character to suffer depression? Maybe they could scream out for their lost loved ones while you play or something. That'd be totally sweet. Or a random town chosen at character creation as your hometown that you cannot enter, simply because "the pain is too much, aaarrrrggh"

I confess I haven't played this game in months either...but to say it fails is very presumptuous.

Rocket has a *tiny* team working on DayZ. The changes you are used to happening within a certain time-frame for other games will take much longer here.

Just wait until this game goes in to full production, and the stand-alone comes out.

I'll be playing the shit out of that.

I've seen this on numerous other posts, "the stand alone". How do you expect, or think, he ( or anyone) can make a stand-alone game when they are using another games engine? And not just the engine, most of their assets as well. B.I.S doesn't even own the rights for the game engine outright, Codemasters does ( from what I understand, could be wrong). But even if B.I.S. did own the engine outright , companies don't spend years, and tens of thousands of dollars developing an engine just to hand it out freely. Now there are engines out there that are open source and "free" to some extent for developing, but once you try and sell the game, you have to pay a licencing fee and in some cases royalties.

So if there is a post or thread somewhere that I have missed or if I am misunderstanding the use of the term standalone ( even though it it traditionally means exactly what it sounds like it does) I don't see how anyone can think DayZ will ever be a standalone.