Barnheezy

Why Day-Z Fails

By 'made progress' you really mean 'made the game the way I want it' don't you?

Have you not noticed the updates that has been coming out the last few days? He's not just making interviews, he also finds time to introduce new bugs.

I follow this game very closely. There is very little progress in making this a better "experiment". Averaging about 4-5 changes per patch. The changes are usually fixing what the last patch broke. I used to be like you guys and scream alpha... then I took an arrow to the knee.

The map is way too big to have any fun on when it takes 4 hours to get to the northern border just to get shot by a random sniper.

hahaha

I have more than that.. That just the point where I was like "why the hell am I still playing this" . I return every few patches and give it a shot.

Ah, I see. I do agree on the gas thing, and only slightly with the cars. While it should be more plausible to find more cars, the degree of work should vary from car to car. This way, only a few of the few will have a "Less damaged" vehicle, also if cars are more common, there should also be a degree of "maintenance." For example, if cars are more likely to be found, make sure that the player not only has to gas them up, every few hundred miles (for the games sake) he should have to change the oil. Gas should also be a highly fought over commodity, as you can find tanks just about everywhere.

Blizzard destroying games??? Sorry dude but blizzard got 3 games they worked on the last few years and thats starcraft, warcraft and diablo.

I asume you ment activision.

I confess I haven't played this game in months either...but to say it fails is very presumptuous.

Rocket has a *tiny* team working on DayZ. The changes you are used to happening within a certain time-frame for other games will take much longer here.

Just wait until this game goes in to full production, and the stand-alone comes out.

I'll be playing the shit out of that.

It's a mod, get over it! Counter Strike took a long as time before it even became it's own stand alone game and Counter Strike is peanuts compared to the scale of DayZ and what type of game it's suppose to be. GTFO!

Edited by jay.pis

No one wants to play a boring ass walking simulator.

Too true!

Some kind of black magic forced 640,000 people to sign up and play for over half a millennium.

You're bored because you're a boring person.

It's okay.

Go back to Kotaku and find the next whiz-bang glitterfest and leave us the fuck alone.

• Like 6

It was almost perfect OP, only needed a paragraph about how the fact that it's Alpha isn't an excuse to all this and then they would all have had to insult you and tell you to GTFO. But you left them with this argument, and it's their favorite argument, too. :(

I've been playing this game for a month now, and if an Alpha is meant to be the phase in which the game is going to change heavily well it really didn't, unless bear traps are such a heavy change. Ah and zombie detection tweakings... Nothing else. :|

• Like 2

But it doesn't actually 'fail', does it?

It's incredibly successful. 664,895 players and it's still only in alpha.

So there's that.

it was the kotaku hype. and this is not to say the game isn't unique, because it is and that's why ppl play it. therein as well, lies the weakness in dayz. once this type of game becomes common, dayz wil quickly be overshadowed by other mods and games that make intelligent decisions.

Edited by kumiiyo

Alpha is meant to be the phase in which the game is going to change heavily

That has nothing to do with Alpha.

How much change occurs depends on the size of the team, their starting point, the nature of the software, etc. The only universal definition of Alpha is that it is the phase when testing can begin.

That's it.

Too true!

Some kind of black magic forced 640,000 people to sign up and play for over half a millennium.

You're bored because you're a boring person.

It's okay.

Go back to Kotaku and find the next whiz-bang glitterfest and leave us the fuck alone.

No, the massive hype and zombie theme drove that many people to this walking simulator.

I am not talking about myself because If I did I would look like a douche and no one would believe me

The fact is that the game right now is BROKEN. Whether it stays broken is up to rocket.

If it's EA or Blizzard, they'll destroy it and make a disaster of a game...just like anything else they touch.

Ha, ha. Agreed.

it was the kotaku hype.

Kotaku hasn't posted about DayZ in how long?

And we gained 175,000 players last week alone?

Yeah. All Kotaku hype.

You fucking people are hilarious.

• Like 1

I did not read it.

I just don't care

why dont you SHUT THE FUCK UP you FUCKING FAGGOT

Edited by 4L4N

No, the massive hype and zombie theme drove that many people to this walking simulator.

No. You've got it backwards. The massive hype resulted from how great the mod is, not vice versa. Zero marketing so the hype must have come from somewhere, right?

And what kept everyone playing for 500 years of in-game time?

Why do 150k people and rising play every day? If the game is broken? Why haven't we all seen the light?

Just not as smart as you, I guess?

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 4

It wasn't just kotaku, it was every gaming media being like "OMG A ZOMBIE SURVIVAL FINALLY!! OOO AND ITS HARDCORE!!!" I guarantee you that the numbers will begin to plateau very soon (if not already, not going stat hunting) because really the game is not all that fun after the first couple runs.

The bottom line of this post is that Day-Z needs a lot of changes. Alpha or not. They need a whole new engine. Rocket has a crap load of work at his plate and if you are not worried about the future of this mod then you are a fucking fool.

Zedsdeadbaby- You must not know the power of the news media... Get media sources talking about something and the people will come running like zombies.

It wasn't just kotaku, it was every gaming media being like "OMG A ZOMBIE SURVIVAL FINALLY!! OOO AND ITS HARDCORE!!!" I guarantee you that the numbers will begin to plateau very soon (if not already, not going stat hunting)

Haha, of course you're not going stat hunting because you know full well what a ridiculous fucking joke they would make out of your post.

Every day the game sets a new record for players per 24h.

The game has been #1 on Steam for months, including through the Summer Sale.

Plateau indeed.

Nanananannananananannana, ALPHA!

This game is fucking amazing.

Zedsdeadbaby- You must not know the power of the news media... Get media sources talking about something and the people will come running like zombies.

Yes, but how did they get the news media talking? They didn't spend any money on advertising or marketing. People talked because the mod is fucking incredible. And players came. And they played the game because it met their expectations.

You came with some grand notion of a AAA title, finished, polished and ready for sale.

Well it's a mod. And it's Alpha. So you have to be patient.

Or get bored and quit and making a retarded fucking post about it.

Your choice.

• Like 1

And what kept everyone playing for 500 years of in-game time?

500 years is 262 974 383 minutes, divided by 665 363 players you get 395,2 minutes. That's less than 7 hours average.

Edited by Nucleqrwinter
  • Like 2

It wasn't just kotaku, it was every gaming media being like "OMG A ZOMBIE SURVIVAL FINALLY!! OOO AND ITS HARDCORE!!!" I guarantee you that the numbers will begin to plateau very soon (if not already, not going stat hunting) because really the game is not all that fun after the first couple runs.

Basically it's not fun because it's still in early stages of development, right?

Because you can see into the future and you KNOW how the mod will become in 6 months to a year from now, right?

Edited by jay.pis