Barnheezy

Why Day-Z Fails

I've seen this on numerous other posts, "the stand alone". How do you expect, or think, he ( or anyone) can make a stand-alone game when they are using another games engine? And not just the engine, most of their assets as well. B.I.S doesn't even own the rights for the game engine outright, Codemasters does ( from what I understand, could be wrong). But even if B.I.S. did own the engine outright , companies don't spend years, and tens of thousands of dollars developing an engine just to hand it out freely. Now there are engines out there that are open source and "free" to some extent for developing, but once you try and sell the game, you have to pay a licencing fee and in some cases royalties.

So if there is a post or thread somewhere that I have missed or if I am misunderstanding the use of the term standalone ( even though it it traditionally means exactly what it sounds like it does) I don't see how anyone can think DayZ will ever be a standalone.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/888-if-this-was-an-actual-game/

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5682-is-rocket-satisfied-with-us/page__st__40#entry59327

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8005-would-you-be-mad-if-they-were-working-on-a-separate-game-instead-of-a-mod/page__st__20#entry83157

game companies sell licenses and access to source code for engines frequently. look at the unreal engine as an example, many games have been made using that, which is essentially another game's engine. rocket is also contracted by BI presently so he's probably got some connections with them. i wouldn't be particularly surprised to see it developed by BI with rocket as lead dev. plus with all the attention dayz has gotten in the industry i'm guessing he's already gotten offers from companies.

Why Day-z Fails as a zombie survival simulation:

1. Okay, #1, This game is far from a simulation -Aside from zombies not being real and me not being able to hop to different dimensions(servers)- IRL you do not have unlimited stamina. I'm pretty sure if a zombie made you bleed you were going to be a zombie (oh,i didnt realize you were a zombie apocalypse veteran. please,tell me more about how zombies work). More cars would be available (i dont think you realize how shitty cars are in Russia. you honestly think a car would last long without proper maintenance?) , but gas would be priceless. Your person would suffer from depression due to the forced style of lone wolf game play (dont even say p2p interaction occurs, sniper bullets in your brain is not what i mean) There are a million things people could pick out if they wanted.
  2. Zombies suck in general, while their AI has been improving, they still are pretty broken. Zombies run at the same exact pace as every character in the game. Shouldn't zombies(and players?) run at different speeds (Yes and no. zomibes actually run FASTER than players. Makes sense considering zombies dont get sadface tired after a few meters of running,since they're DEAD.. and implementing different running speeds would not only be too difficult, it would break the semi-balance the game has, since some players would run faster than others,and why would that be fair?)? Zombies are hardly a threat (except when your blood level is critical). Wouldn't there be randomly roaming zombies ALL over the world and not just loot locations? (No... Why would there be zombies in the forest,unless there's a hunting hut in there?) In a true zombie apocalypse, the zombies would be enemy #1, not other humans. (more zombie apocalypse veteranism. tell me more.) Yeah, you will have evil people in the world but not nearly as many as there are on any day z server. Day-z = Anarchy Simulator?
  3. Other players ruin the game. I feel that surviving is just too easy in this game which is way many players resort to banditry. I think zombies need to much more of a threat. (zombies are as much of a threat as they can be untill you get decent weaponry and devise a decent strategy to dealing with them. zombies WONT be much of a threat to a heavily armed person. who would be more of a threat to a person with an M16A2 ACOG, M1911, Ghillie suit, and so on and so on. the zombie that has no survival instincts and is likely to just run into bullets anyway,or the guy taht wants that gear?)
  4. Im pretty sure there are more bugs than zombies, Yeah Alpha my ass, this has been in alpha for waaay to long (I didnt realize a 3 month alpha is long... if you waited for the minecraft alpha to end,it probably felt like eons to you.) and with the huge increase on players you would think BIS would help on the bug squashing end. (why?) Also- Rocket- This message is for you= Stop doing interviews saying the SAME THING in all of them and get back to work before someone steps in and takes your idea and makes it better.
  5. Welcome to Day-Z the walking simulator. The map is way too big to have any fun on when it takes 4 hours to get to the northern border just to get shot by a random sniper. (that's what you think. me and my friend have a ton of fun even just walking.) Put more vehicles in the game and make gas a rare commodity that could even be used as a currency. (Currency? lets just implement vendors in every city. and add a fireball skill! That aside, if vehicles are abundant but gas is a rare commodity, vehicles would be all round useless.)
  6. This game is not fun- No one wants to play a boring ass walking simulator. (see above statement) Rocket do you want sales? People dont buy it unless they know its fun. (what does that even mean,unless they KNOW its fun? KNOWING its fun comes from experience and/or other player recommendations.) The only reason so many people bought crappy Arma 2 was because of all the hype. (yeah,no. Arma by itself is a very cool game. i wouldnt call it crappy on the base of you not liking it. I bought it because i knew i had friends to play with,which made (and is making) my playing experience fun) This game appeared to be the most fun thing in the world. I even forced myself to believe that for some time. But after about 24 hours of game play, I cant say that its very fun. I think with some major tweaks you will create a game filled with fun while maintaining a walking zombie simulator genre.

Okay you savage people, I expect a lot of tl:dr's and other forms of internet doucheness.

Here, some of my opinions are implemented directly into the quote. GLHF reading.

Edited by Balrog
  • Like 1

The game is hardly out of its embryo and people are already posting "fail" threads.

This is exactly the kind of bullshit crap I talk about here.

This thread deserves an empty tin of beans. :emptycan:

1. OP-quote: In a true zombie apocalypse, the zombies would be enemy #1, not other humans.

Finally someone who knows what's going on during a serious zombie apocalypse!

No one knows what's going on during a serious zombie apocalypse because it hasn't happened. People only know what they see on TV, or in video games, or what they read in World War Z by max brooks. I admit, Max knows his shit and is very logical, but until we know how the human mind would actually think in a situation where death is imminent unless you focus on yourself and solely yourself, we'll never know.

Edited by KField86

I stopped reading at "an asshole whole will d/c when fired upon only to return a few minutes later to shoot you when you think the coast is clear.", sorry.

Anybody who plays like that.. sigh. Makes me QQ.

There are good aspects and bad aspects to the game. It's still very early in developement. I think it's a little too early to judge the game as a finished product..

Seems like DayZ suffers the same problem as most MMOs..... endgame. When you are experienced and geared enough, zombies are no longer a challenge, but other players are.

Dont get me wrong I love the concept of open PvP but if that is all there is to it, like others have said, Battlefield Zombies, then it gets old real quick.

Edited by Rising

Seems like DayZ suffers the same problem as most MMOs..... endgame. When you are experienced and geared enough, zombies are no longer a challenge, but other players are.

Dont get me wrong I love the concept of open PvP but if that is all there is to it, like others have said, Battlefield Zombies, then it gets old real quick.

i think when you get to that point, it's up to you to create your objectives. if you limit yourself to killing others that's on you. other people have started medical services, trade systems and locations, supply lines, etc. this mod isn't supposed to constantly shove objectives and gameplay styles down your throat, it's here so you can make your own.

No one knows what's going on during a serious zombie apocalypse because it hasn't happened.

Come to Vancouver, Canada, We have a zombie apocalypse 24/7. It's called the Downtown East Side. [Youtube search it]

Bandit skins and humanity have to come back or something like it.

DayZ has been completely gutted of any real purposeful gameplay the last few versions.

Edited by jblackrupert
  • Like 1

Come to Vancouver, Canada. We have a zombie apocalypse 24/7. It's called the Downtown East Side.

I giggled. Because I've gamed with people from Vancouver and they've mentioned the same thing.

70 hours of game time here so far and I disagree with you that DayZ fails and is not fun.

It's in its early stages, the core concept is awesome and all we can do is wait for it to grow and provide feedback on stuff that's being tested. More end-game content will be added at some stage as rocket said he was going to focus on that, which is important because it gives people real purpose to play once they have gotten really well geared. I'm looking forward to those updates but you just have to keep in mind that things like this take time to develop, it's early yet.

Also, it doesn't need to be realistic, it just needs to be fun. Like Rocket himself has said before, suspension of disbelief, not pure realism. It is quite fun now and it will only get more fun over time as more and more features are added and they grow in complexity with time.

Edited by JaTochNietDan

Well after creating this thread I have lost all faith in humanity.

People either take what I say the wrong way, skim through, or jump to conclusions.

I enjoy this game and its core concepts. I just think almost everything needs to be reworked to actually be a legit game. I know it is a simulator but it MUST be fun or it wont be successful and really, why the fuck would you play a game when it is not fun/entertaining. I say this game fails because it continues to lose the appeal of "fun" as you play more of it. Don't say that im a noob and I am mad because I keep dying... Infact almost all of my deaths have been the most heart pounding entertainment I have had in this game.

Like I said before, and will say again... Almost everything has to be reworked.

##Yes, I know my writing is random rambling about the game but there is soo much wrong with this game and I want it to work so bad. It is like a good girlfriend who is just nasty in the face and bad in bed##

Edited by Barnheezy
  • Like 1

I don't understand why so many people are posting in this thread. This should have ended when the OP said he had only played for 24 hours. Don't really care who you are, you cannot come into this game fresh, and cover every different way of playing the game in a 24 hour period. In fact if you are doing that, you completely fail at the entire survival aspect of the game, which is what the game revolves around anyway. You have either had a lot of help from other people, which doesn't really account for crap since you wouldn't have gotten any of that stuff yourself, or you're just lying. Regardless, if you are unhappy with the mod, go play something else. This was free, if you don't like it, leave.

sorry, but you're just another worthless complainer. I'm not mad. I'm not trying to be a douche, but this is thread number 30 billion about the EXACT SAME THING and you literally have not a single thing to say that isnt either wrong, been said a million times or been refuted over and over and over and over again.

It's an alpha of a mod for a buggy ass game. Once it goes standalone and they have access to the source code things will improve 5000 percent. features will be added and I've no doubt in my mind you will be satisfied with the finished product should you choose to purchase it.

also, over 600,000 units sold in 3 months, between 10,000 and 20,000 cocurrent players with numbers increasing almost exponentionally, for an alpha. of a mod. for a niche milsim rife with bugs and performance issues. I dont think rocket and co are worried about sales.

People either take what I say the wrong way, skim through, or jump to conclusions.

I enjoy this game and its core concepts. I just think almost everything needs to be reworked to actually be a legit game. I know it is a simulator but it MUST be fun or it wont be successful and really, why the fuck would you play a game when it is not fun/entertaining. I say this game fails because it continues to lose the appeal of "fun" as you play more of it. Don't say that im a noob and I am mad because I keep dying... Infact almost all of my deaths have been the most heart pounding entertainment I have had in this game.

##Yes, I know my writing is random rambling about the game but there is soo much wrong with this game and I want it to work so bad. It is like a good girlfriend who is just nasty in the face and bad in bed##

keep telling you man, it's not being designed as a game, but you keep ignoring me:

intention is to generate emotions, with frustration high on the list:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/108-coop-server/page__st__20#entry6115

system allows you to play and experiment and will result in cruel, horrifically unbalanced situations, player behavior won't ever be regulated:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/520-the-pvp-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry4344

impossibly cruel, dark, brutal, an antigame not designed to be balanced:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/520-the-pvp-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry4308

mod about art, your story:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/261-a-plea-for-more-servers/page__st__20#entry2785

i don't think this mod is for you ultimately because you're looking for things that aren't intended to be in here.

• Like 3

Lost faith in humanity over a differing opinion about a game mod?

You're a fucking idiot. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Edited by KrystoferRobin
  • Like 3

All i got from this is that a guy that definetly has no clue about coding or game development, cries about stuff lacking in a mod that is in alpha stage.

And no there is no such thing as beeing "in alpha way to long"... what the hack are you talking about. Just because you went to the game with the expectation to find a polished zombie survival doesn't mean it is that.

Do people research anything before they buy a game (for those who bought arma2 for dayz and complain now) or dl a mod?

You are basically complaining that rocket does indeed sleep, because his team isn't that big ( i also don't know if he is even alone in terms of coding but i guess not).

I agree that the zombies are way to easy. Here's a little tip to make them a bit more threatening though. Play on a night time server. One where it's pitch black and there's no moon out. I've had some pretty scary moments where I was walking through the woods with a friend. One time, I stumbled upon a helicopter crash in complete darkness (had no idea I did at the time) and about 8 military zombies started attacking me. Now I couldn't see a damn thing and my friend didn't know where I was, so I was yelling at him to shine his flashlight on me. He eventually got the light on me just in time for me to unload into all the zombies with my AK right before they surrounded me. I probably would've gotten killed there if I were solo. Sure, I suppose I could have just tried running away or something, but I had more fun just trying to kill them all in the darkness.

Your other complaints are pretty much invalid though. Whether or not you think Alpha has lasted too long, it IS STILL IN ALPHA and will remain there for as long as it needs too. New things are being added all the time and there are still tons of things to be tested and ironed out before it can even move to the beta stage. The bugs can't just be waved out of existence with a magic wand, and you yourself admit there are a lot of bugs which is exactly why it's still in alpha. As for Rocket doing things like interviews, the game is very popular and people want to know what his plans are for the game. I doubt he's doing the interviews because he WANTS to do them. It's more like he's doing them as a service to the community because people WANT to know what's going on.

Edited by denkart
  • Like 1

I think it's rather simple....play it and enjoy it ..or....don't like it and uninstall it. I haven't had to pay a cent to enjoy what has been brought forward so far and if by chance I get bored I certainly won't piss and moan about it on here, I'll simply go play something else.

Oh come on, I like this mod but how can you even compare Mozart and Rocket? The last time I checked Rocket only created another Zombie mod which happened to be for a simulator FPS instead of a classic FPS.

All Mozart did was compose some music that people happen to like...

I'm not saying Rocket is up there with Mozart, but he created something, and people reacted positively towards it. End of story. He didn't create DayZ by mistake, give him some credit.

Problem 1 :

Players expectations are set too high when they arrive into the game from watching edited action highlights on youtube with 2 hours of crawling, walking, and foraging edited out, or reading game reviews written by old school gamers.

Problem 2:

Players expectations are based on other zombie shooters such as L4D, Killing Floor, and Resident Evil.

Problem 3:

Players have no understanding of what Alpha's and Beta's are.

Problem 4:

Players expectations of gaming have been defined (corrupted) by cookie cutter production lines like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft.

Problem 5:

Players can't get used to not having respawns, progession tracking, and save games.

Problem 6:

Players have been playing too much CoD and BF3

Problem 7:

A lot of players are too young to understand what old school gaming is. And DayZ is definitely old school. Make a mistake, die.

Problem 8:

A lot of modern kids are brought up to feel self entitled and are spoiled rotten. "I want it, and I want it now!" Throwing tantrums is considered normal and acceptable.

Problem 9:

You may not like a game. It happens. Move on. Don't cry about it.

Feel free to add to the problems that generate OPs like this one.

(39yo and gaming for over 30 years and personally believe DayZ is the most original and exciting thing to happen to gaming in over 10 years. Thanks Rocket.)

QFT. I love this game. The only reason it fails isn't even the mod's fault in the first place. Hackers stealing or destroying every vehicle or tent on the map is why I hesitate to submerge myself fully. It is difficult to fully enjoy a game when you know it is only a matter of time before all your well laid plans are blown to pieces because Arma II is so hacker friendly.

• Like 2

Ah you must love the internet.

Nomatter how much time the creator invests into building, fixing and interacting with the community, there always comes one guy who want's to tell everyone what is wrong with it. Suddenly he transforms into a marketing, coding and design genius, because he clearly knows what he's talking about. Because he played games man. He figured shit out. And if it was his project he would know exactly how to fix it. He knows how fun works. A true gaming connoisseur people.

Step back people. The next game needs his expert analysis and he can't be bothered with patience!

• Like 2

I enjoy this mod more than most of the other games I own. Its work in progress for sure.

You have 24hours played, I have triple that and still haven't scratched the surface yet. Maybe I am just shit at it.

I love reading the sometimes short(this games fucking dog turd) too the extremely long rants(yours) it doesn't matter its obvious people rate this alpha mod.

I don't like this mod so I will post on the forums maybe someone will give a shit.

Simply don't play it