Barnheezy

Why Day-Z Fails

Less than 25% of the people who originally played this mod have played in the last 24 hours. Those are great retention numbers [sarcasm]

At the current state... This mod is close, but no cigar.

Basically it's not fun because it's still in early stages of development, right?

Because you can see into the future and you KNOW how the mod will become in 6 months to a year from now, right?

Don't put words in my mouth. I said this game needs to make some major changes or its not going to be successful. I also said that this game gets very boring after you play every role possible. I never said I didnt have fun with it.

Less than 25% of the people who originally played this mod have played in the last 24 hours. Those are great retention numbers [sarcasm]

Uhh, those are great retention numbers. What the fuck are you talking about?

25% every day?

Most games are lucky to see 5% of their total player base in any given 24 hour period. Most games don't even have 25% of their player base still active PERIOD let alone playing every day.

More talking out of your ass.

Also, tell me because I'm curious, of your 23 posts, how many are in Suggestions or Bug Reports?

Should I go check?

Because I bet I can guess.

• Like 1

Don't put words in my mouth. I said this game needs to make some major changes or its not going to be successful. I also said that this game gets very boring after you play every role possible. I never said I didnt have fun with it.

You can see where I quoted you in my previous post, you just mentioned that it's not all that fun after a couple runs... <_<

And you're MR. OBVIOUS! I mean it's in early development stage and I don't understand how you think it won't get worked on and improve over time?

Basically, what you really are trying to say is...I WANT THE FINISH GAME NAO!!!

Edited by jay.pis

Zero bro. Every bug I have seen has been reported countless times. And when the average player plays for about 7 hours and quits that says a lot too. Something like... This game is fun at first but loses its charm shortly after?

Agree with everything OP said. The mod has become boring now (and yes we know its a fucking alpha) I am another who will take a backseat and check every now and then to see where this game eventually ends up.

Until they find a way to unite all survivors instead of mindless sniping in the back of the head I wont play

You can see where I quoted you in my previous post, you just mentioned that it's not all that fun after a couple runs... <_<

And you're MR. OBVIOUS! I mean it's in early development stage and I don't understand how you think it won't get worked on and improve over time?

Basically, what you really are trying to say is...I WANT THE FINISH GAME NAO!!!

But after about 24 hours of game play, I cant say that its very fun. I think with some major tweaks you will create a game filled with fun while maintaining a walking zombie simulator genre.

There?

500 years is 262 974 383 minutes, divided by 665 363 players you get 395,2 minutes. That's less than 7 hours average.

As much as I love DayZ and all it's setting out to do. (I'm looking at the full scope and what Rocket has planned in the future), those numbers, especially given the average hours played per person, aren't very good at the given moment. Although, given the benefit of the doubt, most sales are relatively new. I think it might be better to check back on this statistic a few more months from now as 3 months really isn't an overall accurate timespan to judge it by.

That aside, the OP does make some good points, though a little bit harsh. If you keep up with the interviews and everything Rocket has said, his vision for the game is something fantastic and far superior to what the mod already is. (this is saying something as the mod is pretty damn good for a mod). The only thing that is really holding him back is the lack of manpower to really get this thing moving more to fit the massive amount of new players constantly rolling in. There is only so much a handful of people can do when they get such a large amount of users.

I do agree that Rocket needs help with this mod severely, but at the same time, he doesn't want anything interfering with his vision for it; And we all know how companies that can provide the funds like to meddle in the development and such. At this point I'm just rambling, so that's my two cents.

The map is way to small. You can run to almost any point of interest in around 30min I guess and on your way there all sorts of stuff can happen, so this isn't a walking simulator at all. Besides all the bug fixing and those underground structures this game needs a way bigger map at least from my POV. Whereever you go on the map, you always find someone too shoot or someone who shoots you.

And when the average player plays for about 7 hours and quits that says a lot too.

Haha. Is that really what you think the numbers say?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Shit at logic, worse at math.

Why Day-z Fails as a zombie survival simulation:

1. Zombies suck in general, while their AI has been improving, they still are pretty broken. Zombies run at the same exact pace as every character in the game. Shouldn't zombies(and players?) run at different speeds? Zombies are hardly a threat (except when your blood level is critical). Wouldn't there be randomly roaming zombies ALL over the world and not just loot locations? In a true zombie apocalypse, the zombies would be enemy #1, not other humans. Yeah, you will have evil people in the world but not nearly as many as there are on any day z server. Day-z = Anarchy Simulator?
  2. Other players ruin the game. I feel that surviving is just too easy in this game which is way many players resort to banditry. I think zombies need to much more of a threat.
  3. Im pretty sure there are more bugs than zombies, Yeah Alpha my ass, this has been in alpha for waaay to long and with the huge increase on players you would think BIS would help on the bug squashing end. Also- Rocket- This message is for you= Stop doing interviews saying the SAME THING in all of them and get back to work before someone steps in and takes your idea and makes it better.
  4. Welcome to Day-Z the walking simulator. The map is way too big to have any fun on when it takes 4 hours to get to the northern border just to get shot by a random sniper. Put more vehicles in the game and make gas a rare commodity that could even be used as a currency.
  5. This game is not fun- No one wants to play a boring ass walking simulator. Rocket do you want sales? People dont buy it unless they know its fun. The only reason so many people bought crappy Arma 2 was because of all the hype. This game appeared to be the most fun thing in the world. I even forced myself to believe that for some time. But after about 24 hours of game play, I cant say that its very fun. I think with some major tweaks you will create a game filled with fun while maintaining a walking zombie simulator genre.

Okay you savage people, I expect a lot of tl:dr's and other forms of internet doucheness.

on the first point, this was never designed to be a zombie survival simulator, so i'd think it's okay that it fails to achieve that.

on the second point, the infected actually run faster than players. i would agree about infected all over the map. the mod was designed to have people be the number one threat, not the infected so seems like it's achieved its goals from your perspective.

on the third point, i would say banditry and the threat from other players, the utility of others adds a whole shitload to the game, and as a result players actually make the game better, but this is opinion. i would not be opposed to increasing other threats like temperature, infected, animals, and so on.

fourth point: i don't think its been in alpha too long at all, especially when you think about the regular dev cycle time for triple A games which have large teams, and then consider the fact that this started with one guy who made an alpha mod experiment that gained 400,000 testers in the span of 3 months. also i'm pretty sure BI has been working to squash bugs due to the popularity of dayz, but i could be wrong on this.

fifth point: i'm not sure if the map is necessarily too large as it is too empty. i like the size of the map, but there's not much in between key points on it. i have mixed feelings on this point.

sixth point, i did not buy this game because of the hype(however i did hear about it because of the hype). nor did i buy it because it was supposed to be fun. shit, i didn't buy this game period, i bought OA for dayz after researching dayz and finding out that it was not designed around fun, but around being dark, brutal, and impossibly hard. the idea of a game designed with evoking emotions(both extreme frustration and elation), sounded fantastic to me, and i've had an amazing time with it so far, despite the warts. i also sincerely hope that fun does not become a part of the vision for this, and that it stays true to its design pillars.

• Like 2

There?

Uuuuuuuh....that still basically means it's not fun or it's boring after a while because it's in early development...

I still don't get your point...

You create a thread about the obvious...I mean, I don't know what to say...DUH!?

I mean, you have some sound points but again how is that relevant to a product that is still in development?

Edited by jay.pis

Ideas to make it more survival zombie apocalypse.

Remove super markets as the main equipment draw and spread out the loot they give all over the map.Should be able to find backpacks in houses along with matches that run out after 10 fires.Canteens etc etc.I mean all towns should have something to loot that will prolong your suffering....instead of go to market and load your alice pack and be good for a long time.

Make the blood drain when your starving very slow.then make blood/health gain also very slow.I am talking here like 200 from cooked meats and 100 from canned foods.then make foods and drink very VERY rare.Now what you have is the perfect vehicular engine to drive this apocalypse feel we all crave.Starving for a day or two with 2000 health left and your hunting and scavneging like crazy just to survive.

This then makes everyone on map starving to a slow death wherein now murdering a player just for his gear is a real option and not a gamey effect as it is in dayz right now.

Then make each zombie hit take away 1000 blood and you will fear them like crazy. ;)

Edited by wolfstriked
  • Like 1

Maybe add a feature where when you are cut by a zombie you get infected and need to find antibiotics before you turn... and then when you turn you can be a zombie until you die.

So the total time played divided by the number of players doesn't give you an average played time? Enlighten us, oh math wizard!

So the total time played divided by the number of players doesn't give you an average played time? Enlighten us, oh math wizard!

Knowing the average time played over every player in the game doesn't say a fucking thing about when anyone quit.

Almost 70,000 people have signed up in the last 48 hours alone. How do you think that impacts the average? When 1500 people per hour are signing up fresh?

You don't have to be a wizard to puzzle it out.

The average will actually be lower tomorrow and will continue to fall as sign-ups accelerate.

And you think that means people quit earlier than they actually quit? Like they went back in time and decided to quit at 6.5 hours instead of 7?

Amazing!

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 2

OMG and here we will argue over how many players are playing when the game needs a huge change in difficulty while at same time is playable at this increased difficulty for a long time.Look above at my post for enlightment.;)

• Like 1

But then again, people who just installed the game are more likely to play for a longer time than they normally would since they are discovering the game. So yeah, too many things to consider! :rolleyes:

7 hours as an average is still surprisingly low. We'll see what the numbers are once they will have stabilized.

Dude, if everything you said in this thread was undeniable truth, you wouldn't need to defend your case that much, would you?

Unless Rocket is your brother, or something like that.

Just say you don't agree with him, it's OK, we'll understand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with some things said about the game becoming a little boring and stuff, and i also think some changes should be made.

You can't throw the "it's alpha" excuse for everything, even before this stage the developers and even the testers know the direction the software is heading. That's the point, if the game keeps following this direction, i just think the game will lose a huge amount of non-griefers, which will make the game become boring as hell because the same way we need "bandits", we also need "survivors".

Well, i'm dying to see what happens in a month or two, i hope it does get better regarding the gameplay, bugs, etc.

Edited by Fenrig
  • Like 1

I just spent 8 hours walking from cherno to the air fields. I picked up everything on the way, literally everything. I had the 2 rarest rifles FN FAL night vision with 6 clips, L85A2 with 7 clips, every tool literally everything but a guille suit. This is not the first time i've had most of this, no no. probably the 8th time. Guess what happens every single time? I get sniped by someone i should of killed but is running an alt f4 program.

This game is the concept we have all been waiting for, but this is absolutely the most infuriating game i have EVER played in my ENTIRE life.

1. The bugs are the biggest threat in this game, I have died 10 fold to BUGS then anything else in this game. From glitching through floors, walls, to zombies 1 shotting me from max HP and putting me in shock for 5 minutes that i cant even ESC to suicide.

2. 90% of the time spent on this game is worthless fucking running, holy fucking god is the running terrible. There is two things i worry about every time i die, 1. My backpack and 2. How fucking far i just ran and how many hours i just spent to walk into my own grave by some random sniper or glitch. It's not the act of bandits and people killing me it's realizing how much of my fucking time i just spent feeling great finding all the best gear you can have only to have some kid already camping in the best places to be with 1 shot weapons just waiting to ruin the 8 hours you just spent hiking to your own funeral. Funny part is, my last death i saw the guy first with infa-red switched to my FAL and burst 9 rounds into him all of which didnt make contact due to...

3. The WORST hitboxes i have ever seen. It's as if you took the left 4 dead zombies and literally removed their hitboxes completely. If it's not the garbage hitboxes, it's the clunky interface randomly popping up messages and taking 10 seconds to switch weapons.

4. I've lost more weapons to infinity and beyond then i have getting killed.

After 2 straight days of playing non stop, putting in 8 hours getting all the best gear, then dying over and over im done and not coming back till a full release unless SOMETHING is done about the following..

1. Time spent traveling, and aquireing items needs to be balanced. This is absolutely the most important that needs to be worked on. Weather you increase the spawn places of items, rates of items, place tons more vehicles or just all of the above shit needs to be done. There should not be "the best and worst" places to be on the map, period. The glamour of the game will watch as players quit left and right as they finally realize the 10 hours they put into the game over and over again to reacquire the same shit over and over is not worth getting blind sided by a sniper 2 miles away or dying to magic logs of doom. There is only so many times someone is going to want to pick up a tent they can't even fucking place or use. Let alone a barn full of nothing but hatches and entire towns wiith buildings you cant even enter or loot. After my last death and playing nearly 8 hours straight aquiring the same shit i've already got 10 times over already, im not putting in a single hour again until travel is made easier.

I remember at one time i literally ran and checked over 11 deer stands, and 2 grociery stores and found NOTHING but axes and tin cans. Just checking those stands and stores took over 2-3 fucking hours, to literally get NOTHING then get 1 shot from a zombie who spotted me 300 yards away. People say the game is "high risk high reward" more like "What stupid fucking way am i going to die this time after spending 10 hours looking for the same shit you've found 300 times over.

2. Alt-F4 needs to be fixed. It's bad enough everyone kills you for shit they dont need, but even worse when they miss you you shoot them, they quit, rejoin, and hit you with the shot they already missed.

3. Hitboxes hitboxes FUCKING HITBOXES

4.Every single bug that makes shit go poof, because nothing is even better then spending 8 hours getting items and not getting killed then watching them randomly go poof or spawning with all your gear gone.

5. Animation times need increased, Let us switch weapons while running, Fix all the exploits (as much as i love having unlimited shotgun, m19, and FAL ammo, it's a joke)

Stop trying to implament new things and fix the MAJOR bugs. You can't go a single 60 seconds in this game without some kind of stupid crazy bug making you literally say "What the fuck" out loud. Everything in the game is one gigantic inconvenience, and the game it self is fucking easy, what makes it so fucking hard is learning how to work around the bullshit, literally unlearning how to aim because of the hitboxes, "you cant do this because you will lose that" bug learning curves, glitchers, and greifers. That's it. People keep coming back because of how long it takes just to find a fucking box of matches gives people the self entitlement of accomplishment that they keep getting over and over.

Anyway, done ranting. Call me butt hurt, call me mad. Because i am mad, mad that i wasted 2+ days of non stop play to literally restart over and over again, running to the same places, picking up the same shit, dying to the same stupid glitches, and getting banned by the same abusive alt F4 server admins.in a sea of greifers to stop you from getting the same shit you've already gotten time and time again. I'd rather have to spend 1 week to find just 1 item i need like a box of matches to keep it permanitally then to waste 100's of hours getting the same shit over and over again like pokemon energy cards.

Edited by -Omerta-
  • Like 4

Zedsdead is a rocket fanboy who apparently hasn't put enough time into day-z :lol: (trollolol)

If rocket does intend on making this a stand alone game, I'm pretty sure the full release will not be out for a couple years knowing how the game industry works.

-omerta- You summed up what i was trying to say in a far less harsh manner. I applaud you!

Zedsdead is a rocket fanboy who apparently hasn't put enough time into day-z :lol: (trollolol)

If rocket does intend on making this a stand alone game, I'm pretty sure the full release will not be out for a couple years knowing how the game industry works.

I guess I have a little more patience than you do. This guy Omerta said he's got all the gear he could possibly want ( save a ghillie suit ) in 8 hours. That's really not that bad. I've been going for 2 weeks now without dying and still want to replace the L85 that glitched and I lost.

For you guys, maybe the game's not fun. For a lot of us still here, it is. Maybe you guys should find something new to play. I don't mean it as an insult, maybe the game's just not for you.

I guess I have a little more patience than you do. This guy Omerta said he's got all the gear he could possibly want ( save a ghillie suit ) in 8 hours. That's really not that bad. I've been going for 2 weeks now without dying and still want to replace the L85 that glitched and I lost.

For you guys, maybe the game's not fun. For a lot of us still here, it is. Maybe you guys should find something new to play. I don't mean it as an insult, maybe the game's just not for you.

I love what this game is and I have had fun with it. But what Im trying to say is that it is broken. This can become something amazing, but right now it isn't. It's fate is undecided.