Kyiara

Experimental Update 1.17 (Change Log)

23 minutes ago, Jappe Hallunken said:

Does anyone know how other games handle this, especially racings sims?

From what I know racing games usually have client side driving (instant response, smooth driving), the only times this can cause issues if a player is lagging bad then others see their car lagging (not as smooth as your own car or having a wavy trajectory).
This can cause some issues while you are driving close to them, but shouldn't be an issue in DayZ cause you rarely have 2 cars driving side to side.

Why DayZ didn't keep client side driving? Honestly I have no clue.

29 minutes ago, Jappe Hallunken said:

But a hiccup is not a good connection and I can only speak for experience I had.

Every connection has issues once in a while, and sometimes it's not even the players fault and there's nothing they can do about it.
People can play games on Wi-Fi all day long with no issues, but DayZ? Nope, insta kicked every 2 minutes.

Surely it's the players fault for getting kicked or desync or death-trap-cars, right?

Sadly DayZ is a test game for Enfusion engine, and we have to bare the issues that come with it.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

On 3/30/2022 at 1:15 PM, etwas said:

when client and server are out sync. while you think u carry a weapon in your hands, its actually a broom u try to shoot with.

The Hand Bug is very annoying.  Became really bad in 1.16
Also the ADS bug. I think it was better in 1.16, still present in 1.17, I've had it a few times. 

Pretty sure the ADS bug is how the game tracks key presses. it's like the game has a clock cycle slower than the average FPS player. if you hold shift too long while attempting to right click the game doesn't let go of the button combo quick enough and you end up still pressing shift while you try to right click to attack and your guy just stands up and goes all... "UHHHGGGG.. Hey Zed... How ya doing.. don't mind me,...." WHACK WHACK... "wAIT I can't hit you yet.. ok my pc just caught up.. " Dead....

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 11:05 PM, dhequel said:

fix wall glitch useless devs

Make a bug report, it is useless to write about here.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 3:13 PM, DefectiveWater said:

Why DayZ didn't keep client side driving? Honestly I have no clue.

Ideally to prevent hacking. when the client is the source and the client (windows) is an open platform, its far easier to hack behaviors. With that said, you have to be able to overcome/handle basic client + server lag.

Still hoping on this statement "We’re in the process of importing the latest version of vehicle simulation from a newer version of our Enfusion engine. We hope this will bring some much-needed stability to vehicle simulation in DayZ and expect to perform some public testing in the coming weeks." from https://dayz.com/article/developer-updates/DayZ-in-2022

22 hours ago, helpthedeadwalk said:

Ideally to prevent hacking.

Fair, but then how do racing games combat hacking? From what I know all of them are client side, no?

Is walking/running/punching in DayZ server side or client side? If it's client side, why is it client side? Can't that be exploited as well with cheats (speed hacks for instance, i've seen those so that's why i'm asking)?
Why must cars be made server side if walking/running is client side and exploitable?

Just asking for discussion purposes, I'm fine with server sided cars IF they work properly. Server sided cars are better if players lag a bit, their car won't stutter/teleport.

Edit: I understand the cheating issues, and all this is done to negate the cheating as much as possible, since lives in DayZ can last for weeks and weeks, sometimes even few months. And to lose it all to one cheater would suck, but speedhacks still exist.

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Like 1

Speaking of, what exactly is the hacking with wehicles? Did someone made theirs drive through walls and kill everything in 50m radius? Drive really fast?

6 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Speaking of, what exactly is the hacking with wehicles? Did someone made theirs drive through walls and kill everything in 50m radius? Drive really fast?

Hackers in the Arma 2 Mod use to fly vehicles around, amongst other things.  Guess what?   WHile not as prominent as the devs thought, it is still possible for hackers to fly vehicles around, even with them being server side.  You actually don't need a hacker to fly a vehicle around, go to most any server with population or near a big base and get in one, be sure and wear your Harry Potter glasses and cape.

Edited by THEGordonFreeman
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Hackers in the Arma 2 Mod use to fly vehicles around, amongst other things.

Among what other things? Because while flying cars are silly, it is the least of everyone's problems. Compared to getting insta killed through walls by whatever weapon. Or did you just wanted to state the obvious, captain? 

PC Experimental 1.17 Update 3 - Version Version 1.17.154707 (Released on 06.04.2022)

GAME

FIXED

• Stabbing attacks had an inconsistent attack speed (https://feedback.bistudio.com/T163835)
  • Certain gestures would make the character float above the ground when executed in prone (https://feedback.bistudio.com/T161093)
  • Sound of ear ringing caused by the flash grenade could get stuck at some situations
  • Items could get stuck in the air when thrown from a high altitude (https://feedback.bistudio.com/T163944)
  • Sounds for footsteps were missing while the character had raised hands while holding two-handed weapons
  • Ruined Zmijovka hat didn't properly reflect its state
  • Fixed a collision exploit with stabbing weapons (https://feedback.bistudio.com/T163834)
  • If a player untied an improvised rope belt with knife attached to it, the knife disappeared

CHANGED

MODDING

• Changed: Strong references for AbstractWave in scripts are not allowed
  • Fixed: New -cfgpaths was not working properly
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Among what other things? Because while flying cars are silly, it is the least of everyone's problems. Compared to getting insta killed through walls by whatever weapon. Or did you just wanted to state the obvious, captain? 

Don't even get me started.  I have spent the better part of the last three years consistently posting that vehicles need to be fixed.  They are the single most ridiculous meme of any video game.  It was completely avoidable and that's what makes it worse.  Like I said, at least we get to light the brooms on fire, that's so important.

5 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Don't even get me started.  I have spent the better part of the last three years consistently posting that vehicles need to be fixed.  They are the single most ridiculous meme of any video game.  It was completely avoidable and that's what makes it worse.  Like I said, at least we get to light the brooms on fire, that's so important.

I think he meant hackers flying in cars on purpose. And smack someone with a burning broom and you'll see what it is good for 😉

Edited by Derleth

On 3/25/2022 at 12:49 AM, William Sternritter said:

TrackIR isn't working for me, anyone else has this? 

On 3/27/2022 at 2:25 AM, Getsome said:

Haven't used mine in a very long time. I was hoping that the quality of TrackIR in Arma would eventually make its way to DayZ… unfortunately last time I checked it it was very underwhelming.
Would be interested to hear if there has been any development for TrackIR in DayZ or if there is any planned development for TrackIR in DayZ. 

I have put in a bug report (T164166) with the devs, saying TrackIR has worked up until 1.16, but does not function in 1.17.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mollusc said:

I have put in a bug report (T164166) with the devs, saying TrackIR has worked up until 1.16, but does not function in 1.17.

Ive added to your bug report as I have exactly the same issue with the same symptoms.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, lynn.zaw said:

Stabbing attacks had an inconsistent attack speed

Can we also get the inconsistent hit registration / detection fixed too? As long as you force us to do a janky animation in order to stealth kill, it's not even worth trying.

Just please remove the animation already. It's buggy, It's janky, it failed. Honestly, it is one of the most useless and unnecessary changes you have done for awhile.

Normal slash attack from behind at least worked 100% of the time.

Edited by 'AZAZEL'
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Mollusc said:

18 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Ive added to your bug report as I have exactly the same issue with the same symptoms.

Thank you so much, because I must sort my login, can't log into the tracker at the moment. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 5:37 PM, THEGordonFreeman said:

Yes khaleesi it is know, but that was not my question. 

Has anyone seen any differences to illness in 1.17? (Or maybe from previous versions too?)

I've got characters getting the 'infected wound' symptoms and disease icon, even when they haven't been wounded, or if they have been wounded by infected, they have used sterile banages to heal.

Also - dropped off a rucksack of gear, respawned as a fresh character, came back to my gear, and as soon as I'd put it on, got the disease icon, and the 'infected wound' symptoms.

Any thoughts or anyone else getting the same?

4 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Has anyone seen any differences to illness in 1.17? (Or maybe from previous versions too?)

I've got characters getting the 'infected wound' symptoms and disease icon, even when they haven't been wounded, or if they have been wounded by infected, they have used sterile banages to heal.

Also - dropped off a rucksack of gear, respawned as a fresh character, came back to my gear, and as soon as I'd put it on, got the disease icon, and the 'infected wound' symptoms.

Any thoughts or anyone else getting the same?

I have also noticed some odd sickness behavior from Exp in the past. I also did same as you and hid some gear to come back only to be sick right away. I know infected gear was a thing at some point but i didn't think it was in the game in that way? I have yet to try and test any of this, but it was interesting reading this post and seeing almost exact same scenario.

21 hours ago, penguin511 said:

I have also noticed some odd sickness behavior from Exp in the past. I also did same as you and hid some gear to come back only to be sick right away. I know infected gear was a thing at some point but i didn't think it was in the game in that way? I have yet to try and test any of this, but it was interesting reading this post and seeing almost exact same scenario.

Thanks Penguin - I sometimes wonder whether it's me not understanding the game, but I have been scrupulous re my hygiene with stream water, butchering animals, sterile wound dressings etc. I've just caught cholera from filling my bottles at a pump too.... maybe it's time to go back to 1.16 🙂

EDIT - cured the cholera, moved on. Refilled bottles at a pump, killed a pig and butchered it, washed my hands, but when I took the  meat from my backpack to cook it, got the cholera again immediately. I'm putting a bug report in as there is clearly something not right here!

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T164188  refers to the ticket

Edited by Dave Hedgehog
  • Like 1

"Cookware is slowly getting damaged by being used"

Why? To whom does this even make sense? We still have plates, cooking pots and even wooden spoons in my home that are 20-30 years old and they didnt slowly get damages by being used. So strange to me that sometimes you want to make this game as realistic as possible and sometimes you just introduce mechanics that are not realistic at all but are there for balance purposes.

Otherwised the patch looks good, although the spear movement feels clunky atm.

• Thanks 2
  • Beans 2

On 4/4/2022 at 5:50 PM, DefectiveWater said:

Fair, but then how do racing games combat hacking? From what I know all of them are client side, no?

Is walking/running/punching in DayZ server side or client side? If it's client side, why is it client side? Can't that be exploited as well with cheats (speed hacks for instance, i've seen those so that's why i'm asking)?
Why must cars be made server side if walking/running is client side and exploitable?

Just asking for discussion purposes, I'm fine with server sided cars IF they work properly. Server sided cars are better if players lag a bit, their car won't stutter/teleport.

Edit: I understand the cheating issues, and all this is done to negate the cheating as much as possible, since lives in DayZ can last for weeks and weeks, sometimes even few months. And to lose it all to one cheater would suck, but speedhacks still exist.

All good questions that I don't have an answer. Maybe they have other anti-cheat, maybe those actions aren't as server cpu hungry (and lag sensitive) or maybe they just wrote better code

Related to you question  https://80.lv/articles/the-development-process-behind-bohemia-interactive-s-enfusion-engine/  

"We decided a long time ago that our multiplayer architecture would be an authoritative server. Everything related to the state of the game is simulated and verified by the server. Clients provide inputs and sync with the server and interpolate the state while getting data from the server."

• Beans 2

13 hours ago, helpthedeadwalk said:

Clients provide inputs and sync with the server and interpolate the state while getting data from the server.

Speaking of which... the fact that you don't immediately get booted from the server upon connection loss is disgusting and incompetent af.

@Kyiara, please fix that. The most easiest "cheat" nowadays is to use a simple toggle script that turns on/off firewall permissions for DayZ. Since you don't get kicked from the server the very moment you lose connection, you can abuse this "grace period" by magically appearing in front of people since once you toggle that script on, it blocks DayZ via firewall and you "stay in place" in the game, but once you toggle off that firewall block, you magically appear and get synced with the server where you currently are instead of were you lost connection. 🤦 , this and some variations from this, are known as the "lag switch".

This "grace period" is also why duping still exists.

Edited by 'AZAZEL'
  • Beans 1

On 3/30/2022 at 5:19 PM, Jappe Hallunken said:

Maybe this is because base building and cars are not the core part of a survival game. Imagine the apocalypse, who wants to drive cars and build new buildings? xD
You can maybe drive for some weeks, until the petrol storages are empty. And in such a apocalyptic event you would use already available structures and building and don't build an enterily new one.

Instead it is just the opposite. If an apocalypse should happen, the FIRST thing I do, living in a big city, is to take a large 4x4, loot armories, pharmacies and supermarkets and try to escape to deserted and hidden places hoping to build a resistant and autonomous refuge with resources local and survive hoping that, somehow, things can work out ... EVERYTHING else comes later. Think about the situation.
In my opinion the real "storytelling" problem is that DayZ is a "meaningless time hybrid". Developers should decide "WHEN" the game plays: a few weeks after the apocalypse? A few years after the apocalypse? Or a few decades after the apocalypse?
If it's a few weeks later, it's perfect to find gasoline everywhere, food in bags, and plenty of items all over the place. But rusty cars and grass out of concrete do NOT make sense (to give some examples)
If it's a few years after the apocalypse, it's okay to find rusty cars, but the food should ONLY be jar food, not canned or bagged (now expired), and NOT the grass out of the concrete yet.
If it's a few decades after the apocalypse, grass out of concrete, creepers on abandoned buildings and rusting cars are fine, but there should be NO edible stored food anymore and gasoline should be rare and only at some gas stations isolated service, NOT close to big cities.
DayZ is a jumble of all these situations, without logic and without time ... it is the "Game of the Absurd". This bothers me. And even more the awareness that it is not "just inability" (as with cheats, glitches and orbiting vehicles), but too often be "deliberate choices ex officio", like the backpacks that you have to empty to put them in a trunk or deposit (but when ever), the exaggerated consumption of everything, shoes, knives, saws, the fires that you cannot make inside buildings and among the trees, the fences that cannot be placed well together, the tents that you cannot set up in the woods (they are made for this, not for public squares on straight concrete), and many other similar things... all unrealistic things that have nothing to do with the "gameplay"... RATHER... precisely because of the particularity of the game, they should be particularly cared for from the point of view of "realism".
I have been playing for a while now ... I have seen what the direction of DayZ has been for a long time (since "always" for what I read) ... and I am "sadly resigned" ... Only with the various "Mods" can you manage to make it a little "decent" ... unfortunately.
And with every patch I read, it's always the same "speech": they fix some things, break other things (by chance or ex officio) and add fundamentally useless things ... And the "serious flaws" always remain there.
😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

I have been playing for a while now ... I have seen what the direction of DayZ has been for a long time (since "always" for what I read) ... and I am "sadly resigned" ... Only with the various "Mods" can you manage to make it a little "decent" ... unfortunately.
And with every patch I read, it's always the same "speech": they fix some things, break other things (by chance or ex officio) and add fundamentally useless things ... And the "serious flaws" always remain there.
😞

Agreed.  The serious flaws were there before the non-release Release, and exist to this day.  DayZ is STILL in Beta regardless of what the devs call it. 

Edited by THEGordonFreeman
  • Like 1