rickyriot

What to do? Tired of endless KoS, but feel RP would be too sanitised...

19 minutes ago, Just Caused said:

Being highly geared is not the best situation to be in when meeting new people in hope to meet them. Also, server selection matters. Official servers are 99% KOS, so avoid those. Try to meet people when you're freshie then gear up with them. That way, you'll make a bond so people will have harder time thinking of betraying you.

And even then it happens.... Thanks mule! 

2 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

My point is, people who really are friendly do not say "I'm friendly" or "Hello friend". That is a lesson learned. People who are friendly start the interaction differently. 

My experience is different. I've had plenty of players say to me that they are friendly and then turn out to be...you know...friendly. I've had fully geared players give me guns and ammo, or med gear etc. Those players are out there, even if they are in a definite minority. The flipside is also true, however, where the "I'm friendly" guys turn a gun on you.

It's difficult to know what to do, which makes meeting other players what it is. However, as I said, I had a shit gun, one bullet and not that much to lose, so c'est la vie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Tonyeh

For me, this is one of the best things about the game.  Every interaction is different.  Some will say they're friendly and will be -- others are out to lie to you, lure you in as "friends" and then stab you in the back as soon as the time is right -- others still are just in it to shoot whomever they want whenever they want.

Why, it's almost like real life!

I sometimes play on PVE servers with various KOS zones incorporated into the map, usually military areas and now the new contaminated zones. They can be fun but do tend to get boring over time. There's nothing quite like the thrill of knowing you can be killed at any time for any reason and without a discord server telling you who did it, with what and from where. Although having a discord server does have its own benefits.

Case in the point the other day a few of us were banded together collecting NBC gear to enter RIFY on a loot. One person dressed for the gas with three others holding overwatch in case other players arrived as it was a KOS zone. Sure enough a couple of geared players arrived to do the same just before our man was going in so the shooting started. We killed one and the other managed to hightail it away in their car to tend to their wounds. Moments later in the discord we found out they were members of a RP medic crew looking for loot to sell to buy medical supplies. Yeah we felt a little bad but it was also nice to flesh out the story behind the engagement.

The most likely reason someone will try to kill you rather than engage in conversation is you appear to have or are about to have what your killer needs and you look too dangerous to approach and ask.

Definitely agree with above. Start friendships early when you have little to lose and everything to gain. 

Hopped on a Namalsk server yesterday, because long time no Namalsk, and I was shot the first time before I had even finished bandaging the cut I got from tearing down a bush for that life saving fire. Second life I lived long enough to see my killer, a fully geared goon in ghillie (why the feck they wear gillies for when all they do is run around hipfiring is a question for another day) sporting NVG:s and a FAL. I had just started a fire to try and survive the night. Third life I made it to Vorkuta, again shot next to a fire.

Lesson learned - take the frostbite and find clothes - fire equals death.

But it sure would be much less frustrating to play Namalsk (and other maps, but Namalsk's small size makes it the worst) if geared guys would try and find something better to do than farm freshies...

Edited by Derleth

I share much of your sentiment. I may have a private server you'd like...

PvP doesn't "ruin" the game, but it certainly takes the fun out of it for newer players who get twisted up by the controls and the general scarcity of effective lethal weapons in the early game. It also becomes quickly boring when surrender/submission isn't even a viable strategy if dickheads will shoot you completely unarmed with an open mic.

I've been of the mindset that the developers are slowly ratcheting up the PVE system to the extent that gear-hungry PVP-obsessed players lose interest in promoting the behavior. It has to start with players like you and me, continuing to avoid confrontations where possible, and giving strangers an alternative to being shot. You'll never convince everybody, but if a few start to see the game as more than a shooter it might spread. The contamination zones certainly add a wrinkle to people who want to gear up.

Edited by Mr Jizz

Think I've just experienced my first cheater. Just been shot in a rail carriage. Couldn't possibly have been seen and was killed with one shot.

Fishy as fuck.

2 hours ago, Derleth said:

a fully geared goon in ghillie (why the feck they wear gillies for when all they do is run around hipfiring is a question for another day) sporting NVG:s and a FAL.

But it sure would be much less frustrating to play Namalsk (and other maps, but Namalsk's small size makes it the worst) if geared guys would try and find something better to do than farm freshies...

These types are the absolute worst kind of DayZ player. They're just a useless element entirely and the hurr durr of their "play style" is monumentally cretinous.

However, one of the problems with that particular map is that once you have discovered the entirety of it you realise that there's no a lot one can do there. Building a base is pointless cos it's so small and wandering can get boring. But hanging around on a rooftop sniping freshies is probably the lowest type of gameplay I can imagine. 

• Like 1

Great topic. May I add one thing? I might be wrong, but in my opinion Dayz needs two things, which would make a game quite different but in my opinion much more interesting when you are geared and once you found for yourself enough food and water. Those two things are:

1.) Possibility to create clans/group in the game.

2.) Possibility of occupying the territory

Let me explain this more in detail.

The thing is, in real apocalypse scenerio, you, without help of others, would struggle. Either mentally (you would feel alone) or physically (no backup in fights, no overwatch etc...). So sooner or later you would need someone and look for some companionship. You would look for other people. Thats why I suggest possibility to create clans in game. There has to be a reason to approach someone. Either to create a friendly or bandit group. And this friendship should store somewhere on the server. Should be saved. There should be a list of clans existing on the servers. You should be able to know if this friend that you partner with yestarday is online today. Or something similiar.

The second thing, there has to be some bigger purpose. One of this purpose could be to claim as much territories as you can as a group. I suggested that quite long ago if you are intrested. Here: 

Let me know what you thing about this?

The possibility of occupying the territory makes sanse for me because people in real life also strive for power. Power over others, money power, control power, territory/land power. In apocalypse people would look for as much ammo and weapons, vehicles to have (material power) and to have as much areas as possible (land power). 

The reason I love Dayz is because this is basically the game of two different mindsets. Evil mindset (kill everyone, gain power over others), or Hero mindset (friendly, help each others...). The problem Dayz and Dayz community has is that Evil mindset prevails. And the reason that Evil mindset prevails is because the game machanic reward such behaviour much more then Hero mindset. For example, with killing someone you can gain much more than helping someone. And also, with what you can help someone that that person could not do it by himself? However, either you have an Evil mindset or Hero mindset, I think, the best way to enjoy this game is to do things with other people. What do you I mean by that? For example, if you choose to have an Evil mindset, try to find a person or group of people to have similiar mindset and try to do things togheter. Like robbing people togheter, killing togheter, intimidate people together or whatever. 

If you have Hero mindset, try to find friendly person or friendly group/community. Try to build something togheter. For example, try to make a trading spot/safe zone, try to base build togheter, try to open a fishing store, shoe store, car shop, Tool shop or anything like that. 

Whatever you choose, try to do it with others. Like that, you will enjoy more. 

PS: Sorry for any grammer mistakes. My English is not my first language.

On 10/3/2021 at 7:34 AM, rickyriot said:

Just for clarity, I have 1000s of hours in Dz, and I started on the mod before moving to SA.

The title itself should give you a clue. To be clear, I am not complaining about people KoS'ing, although I have to say it seems even more endemic than it's ever been.

I am not a PvP'er. I was, many years ago, and I was a good one too, but time (..and the odd bit of weed!) has dulled my reactions. I could, could, go around the map, engaging with everyone but I find that boring. Dz is touted as much as a survival as it is a PvP title, and I have to admit I much prefer the survival these days. The problem is you can't have survival on the server because people KoS all the time. Again, I am not complaining about people doing that, but it really fucks over those who are not interested in such shenanigans.

I am tempted to move to RP, but I have considerable reservations about it. I certainly don't want to be "a character actor" playing the game, I just want to enjoy the survival aspect without constantly needing to look over my shoulder.

So that's where I am, an experienced Dz player who has gotten tired of constant KoS'ing but the solution of RP feels like it would take away some of the game.

What to do?

Let me just warn you, I heard from people even people they added each other on discord and steam and play together randomly betrayed them and unfriended them mid voice chat. Do not trust anyone people are scum bags. I recently had it too I met this guy in game and I told him  "if you REALLY want to team up add me on steam so I know you don't betray me" but after 5 mins he tried to kill me I made a hole in his head he said nothing just left and unfriended me. People are stupid and weird and scum bags so in game possibilities are low try finding game off game.

Hello fellow survivors, allow me to add to the subject since I recently came back to the game after a really long break. 

I was heading inland in search of food since the coast was stripped clean by the fresh spawns, now having a bit of luck I managed to procure two handguns and an SMG with ammo and magazines from police station and a small military base outside balota I was armed and hungry, not for PvP but for actual food.

My energy bar was so low my health was starting to drop. Fortunately lady luck decided to grant me one more chance at staying alive, I noticed another player cooking something on a fire, unfortunately for him thanks to first person only he didn't see me coming. Now if I was unarmed or only had few bullets I might have resorted to friendly interaction and ask for food, but I had enough fire ammo to guarantee a kill so I put 3 in the back of his helmet protected head and ate his chicken. 

Which brings me neatly to the morale of the story, guns and ammo are still more common than food, and if you put a bunch of people in a survival situation where there are more weapons than food people will kill each other over resources, not to mention that and this especially goes for fresh spawns, death has little consequences, you can assure someone of your friendliness only to try to knock them out the second they lower their weapon or turn around. Which means even people who initially had no intention on killing any survivor who gets too close have lost their progress to liars one to many times and stopped trusting people.  

Edited by General Zod