THEGordonFreeman

The Awesome Vehicle Thread

On 6/23/2021 at 8:03 PM, ImpulZ said:

As many players report, it's definitely not a thing of "you will fly into space every day", but it definitely happens in individual cases, and as the video nicely shows, it's something that looks impressive and anyone seeing it will definitely post it on YouTube, once it happens to them. As it understandably in most cases involves the dead of the driver and fellow passengers, it's only a laughing matter at first.

Disagree about how often cars fly. If you dont know the basics and warning signs about how to mange the buggy cars in DayZ (and when to stop the vehivcle no mater what) driving is to be suicide in DayZ. Allways! How many bugs and weird things are NOT fixed in 2 years of trying to fix cars is a shame.

Example:

Every time TRMZ is bored and is driving its ends this way... very soon he knows again why he usually dont drive.

https://www.twitch.tv/therunningmanz/clip/FrailLittleDogeKlappa-kksH4RJzLcC86YGX

https://www.twitch.tv/therunningmanz/clip/FrailLittleDogeKlappa-kksH4RJzLcC86YGX

btw:

Edited by andro_dawton

17 hours ago, etwas said:

disabling car damage is the fix for vehicles by modders? come on now!

i would agree that vehicles take too much damage with really slow speed, but thats about it.

also this is the apocalypse. the vehicles arent in a good condition as "new" cars. the truck only makes 42km/h for that reason. modding it to 100km/h isnt a fix also in my eyes.

some people like lambos and ferraris in the game, but i dont see its value in a game like dayz. rather play gta for that.

I never said the devs should disable all damage, nor did i say they should introduce modern performance cars or rocket powered shopping trolleys...

I was merely posting an example of hobbyist modded vehicles that don't bug out, break and kill the occupants at any given opportunity, while also having the horsepower to climb any of the multitude of hills found in the region in which the cars found in the dayz world were apparently marketed for. Just imagine the trouble the school run or weekly shop would have been pre apocalypse with such useless vehicles 😉 

If the devs can't fix the bugging cars, which they obviously can't, then making them just a little less fragile is the easy and obvious path forward. Something it seems you're in total agreement with.

Also a simple fix to make shouldered items disappear when entering a car so they don't stick through the roof. They already do it on ladders for items carried in your hand. And while they are at it they could put a stop to dropping the item in your hand when entering a car as well. All stupid immersion/game breaking bugs with incredibly easy fixes.

I struggle to comprehend why you or anyone else would even try to defend these bugs and issues in a game you've paid good money for?

A game where you can't bake a potato without removing its skin but happily eat bananas peel and all, can die of thirst in a rainstorm while being unable to remove blood from your hands in same rainstorm, can't mix milk powder with water to make milk, can't shoot out of a vehicle, can't carry passengers in the back of truck, bike helmets in nigh on every house but not a bike to be seen, can't don a raincoat over a t shirt, have to strip down to wear NBC 'coveralls' and wearing gloves when skinning an animal somehow stops blood from getting on the same gloves is already one that ignores the meaning of the word 'realism'. That word should never be raised when trying to defend this game and definitely not its weird inconsistencies and game breaking bugs.

Edited by lemmac
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, andro_dawton said:

Disagree about how often cars fly. If you dont know the basics and warning signs about how to mange the buggy cars in DayZ (and when to stop the vehivcle no mater what) driving is to be suicide in DayZ. Allways! How many bugs and weird things are NOT fixed in 2 years of trying to fix cars is a shame.

Which is why compensation, like what lemmac is talking about, is necessary.   Does anyone actually think this problem will be fixed without having to completely reassemble the game engine?  Does Filip Dosansky with his beloved Enforce Script child even work for Bohemia Interactive anymore?  If the only answer is to rebuild the engine in order to put cars client side again then we'd probably be looking at the team having to reintroduce every single element.  A third time.

There needs to be extreme measures taken.  I bet 98% of driving accidents in DayZ are not from player error.

while also having the horsepower to climb any of the multitude of hills found in the region in which the cars found in the dayz world were apparently marketed for. 

For the record,  PC doesn't have this problem.  Only consoles.

Edited by Parazight

7 hours ago, lemmac said:

I never said the devs should disable all damage, nor did i say they should introduce modern performance cars or rocket powered shopping trolleys...

I was merely posting an example of hobbyist modded vehicles that don't bug out, break and kill the occupants at any given opportunity, while also having the horsepower to climb any of the multitude of hills found in the region in which the cars found in the dayz world were apparently marketed for. Just imagine the trouble the school run or weekly shop would have been pre apocalypse with such useless vehicles 😉 

If the devs can't fix the bugging cars, which they obviously can't, then making them just a little less fragile is the easy and obvious path forward. Something it seems you're in total agreement with.

Also a simple fix to make shouldered items disappear when entering a car so they don't stick through the roof. They already do it on ladders for items carried in your hand. And while they are at it they could put a stop to dropping the item in your hand when entering a car as well. All stupid immersion/game breaking bugs with incredibly easy fixes.

I struggle to comprehend why you or anyone else would even try to defend these bugs and issues in a game you've paid good money for?

A game where you can't bake a potato without removing its skin but happily eat bananas peel and all, can die of thirst in a rainstorm while being unable to remove blood from your hands in same rainstorm, can't mix milk powder with water to make milk, can't shoot out of a vehicle, can't carry passengers in the back of truck, bike helmets in nigh on every house but not a bike to be seen, can't don a raincoat over a t shirt, have to strip down to wear NBC 'coveralls' and wearing gloves when skinning an animal somehow stops blood from getting on the same gloves is already one that ignores the meaning of the word 'realism'. That word should never be raised when trying to defend this game and definitely not its weird inconsistencies and game breaking bugs.

in your example (i only watched the bit at your timemarker) he crashed frontal full speed. that should result in death and a ruined vehicle. i guess we are on a different level of "balancing" vehicle and player damage.

like i said before, im fine if they reduce damage on vehicles with slow speed crashes.

i also know a fix for guns not sticking out the roof: dont let us shoulder guns while sitting in a car.

its also not about "defending" bugs.... i just give my feedback to your post?

for your "realism" paragraph... again its about gamebalance and what is possible in the game.

1 hour ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Yeah, this is balanced so well.

yea right, i used the word "balance" in my previous post, but i wasnt talking about server performance. i think u know that.

Seems like it's still working as intended.  And judging from BI's changelog for 1.15... it will continue to work as expected.  I would suggest to anyone thinking about buying this game to consider the continued current state of vehicles and the amount (or lack thereof) attention they have been given them over the years.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:12 AM, THEGordonFreeman said:

The title is a bit of sarcasm.  Based on the response from Impulz to my and others arguments within the Experimental thread, I have moved the conversation about just how awful vehicles are in their current state here.

Console players, feel free to join in as I know you guys are suffering as well.

My entire argument is we have been told that vehicles would be fixed and let's hope before the end of the year as it was pointed out by Parazight that support for the game lasts through the end of this year and we have not been told if BI will support it further.  Vehicles have been broken for years and little if anything has been done to address the issue.  This is fact, nobody should blow up over this statement as a given truth about DayZ.  In general, vehicles work OK as long as the pop stays low and their are not a lot of bases in the vehicle vicinity.  But vehicles can and will move around even on low pop servers.  If two people are in a vehicle and one has a crappy internet connection, in my experience in particular if it is the driver, you can expect to be launched and die eventually.  Many community servers are using mods to work around the terrible results from the current vehicle implementation.  They use mods like "No Vehicle Damage" or "Car Cover" to keep vehicles from getting destroyed along with their occupants/gear and to remove the vehicle from the simulation so it doesn't move around or disappear until you are ready to use it.

The purpose for this thread is for the community to demonstrate just how horrible vehicles are so that new players thinking about buying DayZ can look at what BI calls a finished product and understand just exactly what they will be getting into.  So feel free to post videos and tell us your horrible vehicle stories.  I would encourage community server admins and hosters to put their two cents in as well.  If you've experienced nothing but good things about vehicles, then feel free to tell us.  To help gather information, please include what the server pop was, were their bases nearby, did people have crappy internet?  As much detail as possible.  To start with, here's a video with the current state of DayZ vehicle in 2021.

Lmaoo this will me funny to look back on once (if) they fix the cars issue.

So adding hitmarkers that no one asked for is a priority for BI, yet cars are not, after all these years.... hmmm...

That's perfectly normal.  Cars are supposed to become uncontrollable at the slightest hiccup and loss of control is an expected result.  Also, death and losing all your progress is perfectly fine if you are playing a non-modded server.  It adds completely to the atmosphere.  One life, one death, even if it's through no fault of your own and a problem caused by terrible programming changes early on in the game's development that the dev's have no idea how to fix and could possibly abandon fixing altogether in typical BI style.  Best thing to do is wait.   1.16?  1.17? 1.18?  I mean it's been awhile and yet, it will be longer still.  We'll keep reminding them.

Given that I agree perfectly with what you say and what you do, even if I fear it is useless... unfortunately... but "Repetita Juvant".
However, in the vast majority of the videos you post, no one has the readiness to immediately press the brakes and immediately turn off the engine at the first signs of instability. Are they all children with 10/20 hours of play?
I have saved myself many times with this system.
Is the only system one I know who can do something: inform the server that the machine "must be stopped", and hope the server "understands" it.
Perhaps it should be repeated many times, so that everyone becomes aware of it. Many lives could be saved 😁

14 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

Given that I agree perfectly with what you say and what you do, even if I fear it is useless... unfortunately... but "Repetita Juvant".
However, in the vast majority of the videos you post, no one has the readiness to immediately press the brakes and immediately turn off the engine at the first signs of instability. Are they all children with 10/20 hours of play?
I have saved myself many times with this system.
Is the only system one I know who can do something: inform the server that the machine "must be stopped", and hope the server "understands" it.
Perhaps it should be repeated many times, so that everyone becomes aware of it. Many lives could be saved 😁

Ahhhhh..... but people do as you say.....

Name ANY video game ever thought of and/or actually produced where the game mechanic is when you find a vehicle, to save your ass at ANY GIVEN moment, be prepared to auto eject yourself through no fault of your own.  Name one.  I can only think of one where the developers thought this was a standard feature for gameplay when using vehicles. 

A new player does not know this by default, they expect vehicles, I don't know, to actually work like vehicles.  Call me crazy, but I guess expectations were too high for normal players.

Edited by THEGordonFreeman

What's truly tragic is that the products are getting more expensive each year when their quality is constantly going downhill. In my line of business i would never be able to sell a faulty product. Costumers would just turn it back immediately. But video games are different... People tend to pardon them simply 'because'. No good reason - just 'because'. And it doesn't matter that money is still a money.

Sounds like someone that bought Battlefield 2042.  Not making light, but that title has always been problematic when it launched, but it also serves as another example of early access is complete horse shit.  Make no mistake... DayZ is considered released, but we all know it never should have been considered such.  But hey..... CONSOLE MONEY!  WOOHOO!

So here we are... 1.15, last patch of the year.  Let's take a moment and review what the devs said at the end of 2020 about the upcoming year of 2021...

From that post:

2021 is coming in hot, and we want to be ready. A roadmap for the new year is being finalized, and we are looking to expand our team. We are just beginning to check out the next-gen consoles' hardware, which will hopefully allow us to overcome some of the major frame-drops that console players have been fighting with since our initial releases there. With support from new additions to our team, we hope to resolve our ongoing weaknesses regarding some of the synchronization issues and physics-related problems with vehicles. We are ready to explore the depth of what DayZ can become when it fully unfolds its potential. Stay tuned for early 2021, when we will share more about our plans for the new year.

That never happened, not even a KNOWN ATTEMPT.  The most broken mechanic in the game continues to be ignored this year.

So again, here is your vehicle year in review.... While I know some things internally have changed, essentially, the result is the same as the year 2012....

It's great to know that we have those amazing hit indicators that nobody wanted.  I wonder how much time and effort was put into that vs fixing vehicles as promised in 2020 for 2021?   Hmmmm.....

If them indicators work when you're driving then YES, they have done something with vehicles.

No one is immune to this, it's no big deal though, it rarely happens according to BI and bunch of BI apologists around here, but not even the die hard DayZ streamers are immune to this ridiculousness.

Who needs Helicopters...... indeed.

This is a great thread. Ive been away a while. Do the devs even look at these forums anymore ?              cars will never be fixed, i dont think they want to admit it.