POUNDYOUSILLY

Make the mosin great again

Can we please increase the mosin damage. It's a joke to use anymore. 5 shots to a bears head to kill it. Seriously???? I dont know what kind of bears they have in Russia, but I can assure you they will be brain dead in one shot.

Edited by POUNDYOUSILLY
Typo
  • Confused 1

This is not an issue with the Mosin Nagant, this is an issue with the brown bear. It's the same armoured bear with every gun in the game. The best anti-bear weapon is "Vaiga"/Saiga + buckshot, which can kill the bear in 2-3 headshots. 

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, -Gews- said:

This is not an issue with the Mosin Nagant, this is an issue with the brown bear. It's the same armoured bear with every gun in the game. The best anti-bear weapon is "Vaiga"/Saiga + buckshot, which can kill the bear in 2-3 headshots. 

Lol yeah need to use something with high rate of fire but bigger then the USG45 if there is nowhere to run, a bear charged and I had the BK-133 with 00Buck, could only get two rounds out as the "pump" on the shotty is very slow, then respawned back at the river 🙂

31 minutes ago, FearFokkol said:

Lol yeah need to use something with high rate of fire but bigger then the USG45 if there is nowhere to run, a bear charged and I had the BK-133 with 00Buck, could only get two rounds out as the "pump" on the shotty is very slow, then respawned back at the river 🙂

I was thinking about petting a bear from a distance with a high caliber like 7.62 or .308, then finishing him off at close quarters with a USG. The latter has an impressive stopping power and is my favourite secondary, do you think it's not enough for a wounded bear?

Also, I understand that bears are armoured beyond what's suggested by zoology, but please let's keep them that way (or higher) for the sake of threat level. It's still a lesser suspension of disbelief that wolves' attitude of 'someone's shooting in our forest, you guys know what to do'.

1 minute ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I was thinking about petting a bear from a distance with a high caliber like 7.62 or .308, then finishing him off at close quarters with a USG. The latter has an impressive stopping power and is my favourite secondary, do you think it's not enough for a wounded bear?

My bet is on the bear!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FearFokkol said:

I just had my first bear encounter 2 days ago, I only had the pump shotgun with buck and an sks so I let it hit me to hopefully hopefully knock me out and then leave, after the first hit I thought fuck this I've been looking for bears for days so I took it down in 4 shots with the shotgun in centre mass, I was surprised at how easy it was I was sure I was gonna die lol

• Beans 1

This is another balancing issue which I don't like. I didn't want to say anything because I don't want to be that guy and shit on something exciting. But yeah, I don't like how the bear is a Godlike animal and can take multiple high caliber rounds to the face or other critical organs and just shrug it off. They made it Godlike to make it "harder", but in reality it's bullshit. It's sad because those with a good aim and who can place a well placed shot with a high caliber, should finish that bear in one shot.

13 minutes ago, IMT said:

This is another balancing issue which I don't like. I didn't want to say anything because I don't want to be that guy and shit on something exciting. But yeah, I don't like how the bear is a Godlike animal and can take multiple high caliber rounds to the face or other critical organs and just shrug it off. They made it Godlike to make it "harder", but in reality it's bullshit. It's sad because those with a good aim and who can place a well placed shot with a high caliber, should finish that bear in one shot.

thats the way it should be, but that's boring, if it was gonna be like that then theres not much point to the bear, 2 players with double barrels could easily kill it.... It should be harder

10 minutes ago, IMT said:

I agree, the bear should be tough, but you should be able to take down a bear with a powerful hunting rifle like a .308. Requiring four headshots with that is silly. You shouldn't have to arm yourself like Rambo and have a fusillade of automatic gunfire to kill a damn bear. The bear has a lot of health but also armour values on top of this which make it act like it's wearing plates. A powerful bolt-action rifle like the Model 70 or Mosin is fairly useless right now and forget about things like the CZ-527 or IZH-18.

6 hours ago, RyanS1994 said:

thats the way it should be, but that's boring, if it was gonna be like that then theres not much point to the bear, 2 players with double barrels could easily kill it.... It should be harder

So in order to make the game harder, they gave us a bear which is as tough as the Bear Form tank in World of Warcraft? Remember when they were talking about getting an extensive animal behavior system? The current system is already quite extensive compared to a lot of other games but the current bear just doesn't fit into that. A lot of changes or additions to the game to make it harder don't make sense and break the fun. It doesn't make sense that you NEED an assault rifle to kill the bear otherwise you're dead. The Mosin or Winchester should do fine, even the SKS should be able to take that thing out, especially if you shoot critical organs, etc.

There are also other ways to make the game harder like limiting loot. And I'm of course not talking about the stupid decision to count certain items in containers, etc. so they never spawn after a while. Only now in Livionia is the game harder because of less wells, limited food, more infected, etc. Problem is, people need to buy a DLC to have the increased difficulty, this should've done a long time ago in Chernarus. Remember Beta, the stage where they were going to fix bugs and BALANCE the game?

3 hours ago, IMT said:

So in order to make the game harder, they gave us a bear which is as tough as the Bear Form tank in World of Warcraft? Remember when they were talking about getting an extensive animal behavior system? The current system is already quite extensive compared to a lot of other games but the current bear just doesn't fit into that. A lot of changes or additions to the game to make it harder don't make sense and break the fun. It doesn't make sense that you NEED an assault rifle to kill the bear otherwise you're dead. The Mosin or Winchester should do fine, even the SKS should be able to take that thing out, especially if you shoot critical organs, etc.

There are also other ways to make the game harder like limiting loot. And I'm of course not talking about the stupid decision to count certain items in containers, etc. so they never spawn after a while. Only now in Livionia is the game harder because of less wells, limited food, more infected, etc. Problem is, people need to buy a DLC to have the increased difficulty, this should've done a long time ago in Chernarus. Remember Beta, the stage where they were going to fix bugs and BALANCE the game?

you dont need an assault rifle though, and food and weapons dont seem to be rarer for me atleaset, imo the food spawns need to be cut down more, its still pretty easy to find too much food, almost every police station has a pump shotgun, usually more than one, they also have press vests alot, again usually more than one. Its really not a hard survival game other than other players theres no danger, look at wolves, they're scary until you realise you can climb on anything and kill them with ease so having a tanky bear atleast gives some danger other than players. Theres a good chance the bear will leave you alone if it knocks you out if you haven't shown aggression, so if your under equipped stop shooting bears.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RyanS1994 said:

you dont need an assault rifle though, and food and weapons dont seem to be rarer for me atleaset, imo the food spawns need to be cut down more, its still pretty easy to find too much food, almost every police station has a pump shotgun, usually more than one, they also have press vests alot, again usually more than one. Its really not a hard survival game other than other players theres no danger, look at wolves, they're scary until you realise you can climb on anything and kill them with ease so having a tanky bear atleast gives some danger other than players. Theres a good chance the bear will leave you alone if it knocks you out if you haven't shown aggression, so if your under equipped stop shooting bears.

So you're telling me if I fight a bear with a Mosin, I'm going to survive? And food and weapons aren't rarer but guns like the FAL, M4, AKM, don't spawn when they have been looted and stashed away. It's a very dumb way of enforcing balance because they can't get their shit together but they don't want a million assault rifles spawning. Also, there isn't always a car or object you can jump on, especially if you're in the forest and you get jumped by a pack of wolves. And if the tanky bear is the reason to make the game harder, why not make the infected and wolves tougher as well? Why don't we add some super infected while we're at it.

Okay, so if you have a Mosin and you spot a bear, you DON'T have to start shooting at it!!  Encountering a bear isn't a death sentence.  You are a human player versus an AI script with no firearm.  The best advice is to not be a shitty gamer.  If the bear takes you by surprise then it's on you.  The brown bear will likely notice you and not attack immediately if you are far enough away.  Wolves and bears should be on your radar if you're wandering the hilly wilds of southern Livonia .  Wolves can sneak up on you and bleed you fast, but are manageable.  Bears will not aggro you on sight like wolves.   I've killed about 20 bears so far on foot.  All while looking for them.  You hear them in the distance and approach.  They will notice you at ~100 meters and growl a lot.  They stand up.  You can't miss them.  You can turn around and back out and they won't pursue.  If you're smart, you wont die.

Their armor/hp isn't ridiculous.  Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

If you're going bear hunting then get yourself a car.  You're gonna need it.  Those bear pelts are huge.  Drive back and forth from Polana to Gieraltow.  You'll likely spawn one.   Listen carefully for them.  I've seen them drop from the Viaga spaz cannon in 3 shots.  I've had to dump up to 45 5.56 rounds in one to take it down.  Bring a friend.  Get experienced and be prepared.   Watch their behavior.  IMO, if it was nerfed at all, it would be boring.

• Like 2
  • Beans 5

They should reskin it as a radioactive zombie bear, there, problem solved.

• Like 1

Also, the high damage spot on the bear is the throat. 3-5 shots and it'll be down. 

YouTube has a plethora of guides on this. 

If you want to kill big, scary creatures with minimal danger, then go play farcry or Rdr2. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thunderpants_AU said:

If you want to kill big, scary creatures with minimal danger, then go play farcry or Rdr2. 

And if you want to play a game with a steel-plated bear, try Five Nights at Freddy's

I'll take a Wintery Chernarus or Livonia with white walker bears sprinkled on top, please.  Also, LRS+Mosin crafting table mechanics.

1507099756-screen-shot-2017-10-04-at-074

• Beans 1

Well guys it's not just bears but also humans. The mosin is now a weak rifle. No more knock down power. No more one shot wonders. The bear was just one example of how weak the mosin really is now.

I shot a guy the other day with a tactical helmet and he was walking around for a good minute before he succumbed to his injuries. Helmets do not take direct shots from high caliber sniper rifles. They are great for lower calibers and even ricocheting bullets. But not head on

• Confused 1

The bears are far more tanky than real bears but it's a game. 

Bear in mind*, wolves are no where near as vicious towards humans as they are in dayz but it works great in game.

* did you see what I did there?

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

On 12/30/2019 at 11:52 AM, POUNDYOUSILLY said:

Well guys it's not just bears but also humans. The mosin is now a weak rifle.

How is it "weak" when it's the most powerful rifle in the game? 110 damage. Every gun was nerfed for 1.0. They are all weak compared to earlier versions.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:52 AM, POUNDYOUSILLY said:

I shot a guy the other day with a tactical helmet and he was walking around for a good minute before he succumbed to his injuries. Helmets do not take direct shots from high caliber sniper rifles. They are great for lower calibers and even ricocheting bullets. But not head on

According former DayZ lead designer helmet is intended to take direct shot from full-power guns.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:35 PM, awalsh47 said:

The bears are far more tanky than real bears but it's a game. 

Doesn't mean it should require several headshots.

Let me put it this way, here is a lever-action rifle with .45-70 "+P" rounds. Commonly thought of as a "bear stopper". The bullet in the picture is over 3-1/2 times the weight of the Mosin's bullet. Tremendous power and recoil.
E0lMugt.jpg

Since DayZ, coming from ARMA, has ballistics that are at least sometimes based on something, you can figure roughly what kind of damage this round would have in the game. 

And to take down the bear, this gun would require three (3) headshots. Never mind the body shots. And since the magazine only holds four rounds you better get them.

Getting a bit ridiculous there.

In fact, if you base the damage on real life, it would require ridiculously powerful rounds like .50 BMG, .577 Tyrannosaur or .700 Nitro Express, depending on how you calculated it, maybe a .600 Nitro, to kill a DayZ bear with a headshot. Even most elephant rounds like .375 Magnum, .416 Rigby, or .470 and .500 Nitro Express would be unable to do it. Elephants, yes. DayZ bear? Not even close!

Getting a lot ridiculous!

Edited by -Gews-

Doesn't seem like anyone here knows much about grizzly (brown) bears. First, and foremost, their skull can be up to four inches thick. By all means, waste your ammo on your prized headshots. However, that is not the way to hunt, nor kill a grizzly. And apparently, their in-game counterparts are built similarly. If it charges straight on, aim just below the head. From the side, aim for the front shoulder, but not high toward the spine or back by the arse. The reason they can take so many body shots is because of how thick their fur and fat layers are. Quite often, your bullet doesn't even make it through to the other side. Grizzly bears are a remarkable and formidable apex predator. Respect.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

Doesn't seem like anyone here knows much about grizzly (brown) bears. First, and foremost, their skull can be up to four inches thick. By all means, waste your ammo on your prized headshots. However, that is not the way to hunt, nor kill a grizzly. And apparently, their in-game counterparts are built similarly. If it charges straight on, aim just below the head. From the side, aim for the front shoulder, but not high toward the spine or back by the arse. The reason they can take so many body shots is because of how thick their fur and fat layers are. Quite often, your bullet doesn't even make it through to the other side. Grizzly bears are a remarkable and formidable apex predator. Respect.

This

17 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

Na dude, I used a Tundra on a cow at 100m and had to use two headshots to take it down, I dont mind that these bears built alot tougher than in reality and best would be to figure out "soft spots" on these but with regards to what I experienced with hunting on dayz, two 308 rounds on a cow is a bit much, still enjoy it though lol

Edited by FearFokkol

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, IMT said:

So you're telling me if I fight a bear with a Mosin, I'm going to survive? And food and weapons aren't rarer but guns like the FAL, M4, AKM, don't spawn when they have been looted and stashed away. It's a very dumb way of enforcing balance because they can't get their shit together but they don't want a million assault rifles spawning. Also, there isn't always a car or object you can jump on, especially if you're in the forest and you get jumped by a pack of wolves. And if the tanky bear is the reason to make the game harder, why not make the infected and wolves tougher as well? Why don't we add some super infected while we're at it.

wolves are easy whether you can jump up somewhere or not, stop complaining about being under equipped, after all this is a game, like it or not its about understanding the mechanics... not realism, if you want true realism go hunt a bear in real life.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RyanS1994 said:

wolves are easy whether you can jump up somewhere or not, stop complaining about being under equipped, after all this is a game, like it or not its about understanding the mechanics... not realism, if you want true realism go hunt a bear in real life.

I dont hunt bears. I hunt humans (meaning you). The bears were an example of how weak the mosin is. Hence the title.