thepoey

Are there plans to address the Tent Fortress Exploits? It's getting out of control.

If you aren't aware, players can place either two car tents next to either with the entrances facing each other to create an impenetrable loot stash, unless you have a car apparently, and then you can glitch inside. Or, players can place a car tent backwards against a shed, and it becomes impossible to enter from the outside. There may be other ways to glitch inside, but I have no idea how.

These are showing up more and more on the coast, and all it does it make the coast unplayable, as a few players can stock up on endless military gear on the coast, and it completely screws up the loot economy.

What's the point of building a base with planks and logs that can just be destroyed in 2 minutes with minimal effort, when players can just create impenetrable fortresses with a single tent and store as much loot as they want?

I've made note of this on the feedback tracker, as have many others, so it's not exactly an unknown thing at this point.

This HAS to be addressed in 1.06 if not sooner. It is game breaking. 

@ImpulZ @Greensek @Tom_48_97

• Like 1

Let me first start by saying I am a player that builds impenetrable bases and in those bases I store loot I have gleaned from both the environment and other players. Do so may piss you off but that is my play style.

I do not dupe, in fact I hate the idea as it goes against the sole purpose of a survival game. Why should I be punished for playing the game the right way and finding a way to protect my loot? I hated the fact that I couldn't find an AR up north because of the loot economy but I did what any survivalist would do and I adapted my style.

I built a base, geared that base up and when I need guns I find them on the players I kill. Now more than ever I feel the loot economy is right and if you can protect the gear you get than even better.

For me this isn't a game breaker but a solid mix of how the game is played.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think this sounds more like an exploit than an intended feature.  I don't think this sort of exploit can be be accurately construed as an example of how the game is to be played.  

• Beans 1

It is annoying when you find barns that have these tents in place. However we have worked out a way how to get into them my 'dayzing' into the base.

18 hours ago, thepoey said:

If you aren't aware, players can place either two car tents next to either with the entrances facing each other to create an impenetrable loot stash, unless you have a car apparently, and then you can glitch inside. Or, players can place a car tent backwards against a shed, and it becomes impossible to enter from the outside. There may be other ways to glitch inside, but I have no idea how.

These are showing up more and more on the coast, and all it does it make the coast unplayable, as a few players can stock up on endless military gear on the coast, and it completely screws up the loot economy.

What's the point of building a base with planks and logs that can just be destroyed in 2 minutes with minimal effort, when players can just create impenetrable fortresses with a single tent and store as much loot as they want?

I've made note of this on the feedback tracker, as have many others, so it's not exactly an unknown thing at this point.

This HAS to be addressed in 1.06 if not sooner. It is game breaking. 

@ImpulZ @Greensek @Tom_48_97

Helllo @thepoey 

I agree that this needs to be addressed, the dev team is looking into it.

Thank you for bringing this up.

• Beans 5

13 hours ago, Ryan JG said:

Let me first start by saying I am a player that builds impenetrable bases and in those bases I store loot I have gleaned from both the environment and other players. Do so may piss you off but that is my play style.

I do not dupe, in fact I hate the idea as it goes against the sole purpose of a survival game. Why should I be punished for playing the game the right way and finding a way to protect my loot? I hated the fact that I couldn't find an AR up north because of the loot economy but I did what any survivalist would do and I adapted my style.

I built a base, geared that base up and when I need guns I find them on the players I kill. Now more than ever I feel the loot economy is right and if you can protect the gear you get than even better.

For me this isn't a game breaker but a solid mix of how the game is played.

Why do you feel that your loot, which you leave unattended deserves some special protection? You go into houses in towns and loot those because there is no one around, right? Well, it is the same with player collected loot. Just because items are no longer at their original spawn point, that does not make them special and all of a sudden exclusively accessible by you only. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greensek said:

Helllo @thepoey 

I agree that this needs to be addressed, the dev team is looking into it.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Thank you for the reply! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Why do you feel that your loot, which you leave unattended deserves some special protection? You go into houses in towns and loot those because there is no one around, right? Well, it is the same with player collected loot. Just because items are no longer at their original spawn point, that does not make them special and all of a sudden exclusively accessible by you only.  

That's like saying why do you lock you house when you go to work.

Video game are intrinsically designed on a reward system. The greater the skill, the greater the reward. I have looted, PvP'd and kept my player alive to collect that loot; sometimes that means hours or even days of gameplay. I should have the ability to protect my winnings at all costs, I earned them. If base buildings were harder to break into, I wouldn't debate this topic but when building a wall takes more time than breaking it down I am fine using tents as that extra barrier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan JG said:

Video game are intrinsically designed on a reward system. The greater the skill, the greater the reward. I have looted, PvP'd and kept my player alive to collect that loot; sometimes that means hours or even days of gameplay. I should have the ability to protect my winnings at all costs, I earned them. If base buildings were harder to break into, I wouldn't debate this topic but when building a wall takes more time than breaking it down I am fine using tents as that extra barrier.

It's more like asking the question why do you expect that lock to stop someone with tools from entering? Thus the question stands. Your view is fine with a regular game that encourages item collecting, like an RPG and so on. However; this is a game where player interaction is at its core, protecting your winnings means constant fight. Same as you can shoot another player and take their loot, someone else can shoot you or in case of stashed loot rob you. If you expect all the safety nets of a regular game where your winnings are either transferred to stats or loot that only you have access to, you're playing the wrong game. 
Same goes for bases harder to break into. Why do you expect simple wood to stop an axe? This game is aimed at as much simulation as possible and axe breaks wood, no extra effort required when there's no one there to deter you. Structures in general take much more effort to build than tear down. Castle ruins are quite a hint 😉 

16 minutes ago, Ryan JG said:

There's no way that feature is working as intended. It's an exploit, plain and simple. 

That said, I don't blame anyone for using it, giving the relative weakness of bases, but it's still an exploit, it still forks up the game's loot tables and economy, and it still needs to be fixed, and don't expect your loot to stay there forever just because you were "clever" enough to take advantage of a well known flaw. 

Greensek has already spoken guys, it's been deemed an exploit & the team is looking Into it. They have already stated in the known issue section that base building will be worked on & balanced further to address how quickly a base can be raided. Just remember no matter how much gear fear you have, using an intended exploit to protect a stash is not & never will be fair play. It takes less than an hour as a fresh spawn to collect a mosin with PU & an Sks or shotgun, etc & most times already have a plate carrier if you know the map. Hoarding without a chance of raiding is unnecessary, if you want a secure hoard try placing barrels in trees bases or burying stashes. I am yet to ever have a single barrel found & have had the spoils of war stashed for months at a time (I never stash more than 1 assault rifle & I actually use it on my characters next death, in order to maintain some semblance of a healthy CLE For all players).

Wait, so if other players cant get into these exploited tents, how can the exploiter?  If the exploiter can get in it stands to reason others should be able to as well.   I've yet to see this on any of the servers I play in. 

Well not sure what, but something must damage tents because I came across a badly damaged tent fairly recently. 

16 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I came across a badly damaged tent fairly recently. 

They only spawn like that as of now. They just need to add a way to shred through them and problem solved. Can’t really blame players for a bit of ingenuity when base walls are far too fragile.

19 hours ago, Oh Long Johnson said:

how can the exploiter? 

With the simple use of an alt-account as a “key”, and one empty tent a the “door”, otherwise it involves glitches and such. Just encourages bad form all around.

I never usually exploit but when I find a base that's impenetrable I just exploit inside, raid and exploit back out, only time I intentionally use a glitch, apart from the duct tape one back in the day (yes I know it's still a thing I just never play with anyone)

This sort of thing will always be a problem, unfortunately.  Classic case of the bad the guy, who is always finding ways to cheat the system, staying one step ahead of the police, who are forced to play catch-up to counteract the griefers and exploiters.

Like the tents, you can use an alt account to lock up a base in an industrial building that has stairs.  Build 2 fences at the top of the stairs, both with full barb wire.  Cant survive more than a few seconds with four barb wire fence dots on you.  As of this post, you die before you can get even one wire off.  Alt account takes off the barb wire from the inside.

At any rate, these things will always happen.  It IS a video game, afterall.  Seems hard to fix as it's not a bug, it's the nature of the design.

This was not an issue until there was too much griefing from people shooting tents inside people's bases to despawn them with all the loot stored in them. I believe it was changed so a ruined tent doesn't despawn until it has been dismantled, or they just don't take damage from weapons.

@Greensek Suggested fix: Make tents possible to slash open from the outside (like breaking down a base wall basically) with sharp tools. Once slashed open, show the model with great gaps and holes in it (=badly damaged or ruined), and make it then possible to enter from any direction. 

Tents are made of canvas, in no way or shape should they be possible to use as impregnable fortifications.

Edited by Derleth

16 minutes ago, Derleth said:

This was not an issue until there was too much griefing from people shooting tents inside people's bases to despawn them with all the loot stored in them. I believe it was changed so a ruined tent doesn't despawn until it has been dismantled, or they just don't take damage from weapons.

@Greensek Suggested fix: Make tents possible to slash open from the outside (like breaking down a base wall basically) with sharp tools. Once slashed open, show the model with great gaps and holes in it (=badly damaged or ruined), and make it then possible to enter from any direction. 

Tents are made of canvas, in no way or shape should they be possible to use as impregnable fortifications.

Hello @Derleth.

The team is aware of this, still not sure how we're going to solve this, but I'll leave your suggestion.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Marvel_Ham said:

wVbuuFs.jpg

qMTumWw.jpg

Maybe it can get a bump up the action-item list.

Awesome, thank you! I couldn't get a good screen shot loaded up, hope this helps. 

Lads you could always bring a buddie and lay on top of eachother, if there's a tent too close to the inner wall you ghost through, just thought I'd post this to ruin every tent fortress persons day :)) tested it and it works just abit janky

edit to specify, you both must wiggle, move, do whatever you can to bug tf out and you'll eventually phase Into the base

Edited by Andyyypandyyy
Because communism