0.64 Freerider

The OFFICIAL list of PROMISED FEATURES as of 2018...a reminder

On 7/23/2019 at 4:43 PM, pilgrim* said:

word ! - Gews is THE MAN

He has great arguments but sadly i feel it is way to late for anything special now. Gews would be better off inputting his thoughts into a fresh new game that took him serious.

1 hour ago, sneakydude said:

He has great arguments but sadly i feel it is way to late for anything special now. Gews would be better off inputting his thoughts into a fresh new game that took him serious.

Perhaps that is true I can't say ..  let's see what happens (what else ?) .. but it seems to me DayZ has by fits and starts and strange sideways jumps and FORGETFULNESS and odd changes for "different reasons"  - it had  gradually drifted away from it's original long term intentions and focus and it's Special Character  and is now .. maybe definitely .. heading in a different direction?

I don't want to say "yep, it's gone ..it's switched down a different track: 100% destination change" - But looking at the Forum content from the players themselves, REALLY there HAS been a huge change .. people aren't talking the same, they aren't looking for the same experiences in DayZ, they aren't even looking for the same GAME .. their WANTS are different, and pretty much it SEEMS the team (the new team? the remains of the team?)  is trying to give them what THEY want.  Whatever the game was and whatever it was SUPPOSED to be and what made it good and unique, is just fading in in the memories of a few old players ??   And there are not a WHOLE LOT of those around on this Forum now.

Is that true ??

Or I"m just in a bad mood?

• Like 4

@pilgrim*

I agree I've been binging a lot of TheRunnningManZ's old videos, particularly in .60-.62 era and things have definitely changed and I miss it.

• Less encounters are happening across the map (WE NEED MORE DYNAMIC EVENTS!)
  • Less random encounters in random areas of the map, erupting in intense moments are occurring as well (this can also be attributed to base-building -> promoting camping hermits, and not as many dynamic events like heli crashes around the map as often)
  • Proper banditry and hold-ups are less common too, there is less loot in the game to incentivize and not even proper weapons and clothing to dress like one (clown masks? chainsaw??)

Then for gameplay changes, the gunplay and medical system feels a lot less rewarding and satisfying.

Medical system:

is simple except for injury animations:

•  Blood doesn't matter at all in combat and you barely lose any when you get shot, you just bleed (but easy to bandage)
  • There is no form of direct immobilization (like leg fractures)
  • Unconscious is also rarer in gunfights and melee combat. Knockout punches aren't very hit or miss, but usually, end up in death instead of unconscious.
  • Unconscious is too short and always like that. No one ever handcuffs unconscious people too (maybe it's not possible and you can't get the user action due to a bug?)

What is the point of being a medic and helping someone in need for? you just need food+drink now which is lame 😞 (#bringbackbloodloss and fatal diseases!)-

Gunplay:
Gunplay is very arcadey.

• There is no barrel inertia when turning with your gun like in .62 (results in the ability to turn your gun instantly 180degrees in point-aiming and ADS)
  • The damage system is inconsistent and backwards from .62 (9mm & .380 are useless, + no head hitbox with armor introduction) (little chance of knocking unconscious)
  • Lack of kick/recoil on guns (especially how it feels in 3PP point-firing)
  • Lack of feeling of weight on guns
  • No ADS movement penalties even when scoped in 8X+ scopes! (no eye oscillation with the gun )

• Fast run&gun style combat (you can raise heavy weapons too very fast which leads to zig-zagging in CQC and taking pot-shots)
  • Missing the insanely loud heart-pumping supersonic cracks from .60 DayZ
    More on this in this ticket chain https://feedback.bistudio.com/T142581

Ballistics / Hit areas:

I'm no expert on this subject and it's best to leave @-Gews- to talk about it, but it's worth mentioning. DayZ deserves an authentic ballistics model like it did in >.62 and it doesn't feel as good as it should currently.

• We need bullet velocity dropoff especially to affect the assault rifles like the AKM/M4 sniping (Make Long Range snipers special in their craft)
  • Reworked helmet geometry to allow for face hitbox, and headshotting people (so 9mm / .380 aren't COMPLETELY useless)
  • Better damage system (reintroduction of vitals?)

RAGDOLL!  it made kills so satisfying! Plus, it didn't allow bodies to disappear through walls when they fall with the animation

With ragdoll, allow for actual head bob movement so

- Your camera is connected to the head and falls with it in ragdoll in 1PP and 3PP 

- You camera tilts when you roll in prone                                                                                                                      (how do i get rid of this emoji 😕

- Head bob when running!

More on that here --- > https://feedback.bistudio.com/T143221

Visual downgrades: especially with view distance where the ability to snipe long distances is hindered. Grass rendering is downgraded (no sinking tech in the distance) and the colour palette in .62 just seemed much more lively too.

(.62 grass volume and color scheme. It was lush and rendered far too 😄 )

jVYtlyt.jpg

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T142613 <--- more on that there.

Edited by jamie.lou
grammar and Ballistics sub-topic. EDIT: the first few points didn't make sense before xD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Decaying bodies? That would be such a sick addition

@jamie.lou So the old ‘sinking tech’ isn’t a thing now? So if someone is lying prone in long grass, they just look like a ridiculous twat in the middle of an open field? 😂 That’s insane.

I loved the points you made on my ticket, by the way. Just never got around to replying. Don’t forget that, even if blood WERE more of a factor, blood bags and saline currently do jack shit.

I wonder what the paid DLC will be about. Could it be map expansion? Our long-awaited escape from the cage of South Zagoria? One can only dream.

13 minutes ago, haxordie said:

I wonder what the paid DLC will be about. Could it be map expansion? Our long-awaited escape from the cage of South Zagoria? One can only dream.

It is confirmed that it will be a new terrain. 

Really wondering where it will be located though....

Yep exactly,  @ThePugman

The sinking technology is absent currently and even with a ghillie suit in the grass in the distance, you look like a sore thumb sticking out.

Really hope it comes back, as it was a really cool feature of ARMA

and yeah, blood bags and salines need to be balanced for sure. Blood is something I dearly miss worrying about.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:20 PM, haxordie said:

Decaying bodies? That would be such a sick addition

- not decaying.. just BODIES

In the "old" game - players who died stayed lying where they dropped for a LONG time..  (they die from gunshot, they die from starvation or a fall, no difference, the body lay there where it fell, it would still be there in an hour, or back in the "really old" days, it would be there until reset??)  -

And when a player died there was a buzzing flies sound located on their body - so if , say, you're running up the coast road, out in the grass by the railtrack you heat a half distant flies buzzing.. THAT can only mean one thing - you go look and follow the sound - you find a player lying there half geared with a backpack and an axe in good condition (so it wasn't zombies got hil) maybe the poor dude ran out of water or he got sick from something and he made it to here before he dropped - OR on the main road through th cillage you see two dead players lying out in the street.. ok this could have been hours ago, but those payers were sniped or shot as they were passing through - is it worth checking the bodies.. from a distance one of them looks pretty geared up.. or is someone waiting at a window for you to come look ??

So player bodies that stayed in the game for a GOOD period of time added REALLY Enormously to the gameplay, the glimmering, the MINUTE to MINUTE unexpected drama, the reality of SURVIVING, because you FOUND the ones who didn't make it -  and when you heard the flies you KNEW there was some sad remains of a player met his end somewhere over there, maybe hes lying 15 yards into the trees, or behind this next house..

I understand why they took that out (I just dont LIKE that they took it out - it made DayZ LESS of a game.. it was a SERIOUS change) :

1) If your body stayed in place too long when you were killed, you could log in and run back to that place and collect all your gear from the corpse ...

2) It was too big a load on the server - on the Loot Economy ... Ten bodies scattered around the map with all kinds of gear on them have the same weight as ten players (just about, I guess) and those were the days of 20-30 player servers (do I remember that right?) Hell, even on 50 player servers each body still needs processing power and lists of all their gear "in play" to stay on the map, even if no one is around to stumble over them..

So the dev team cut their losses

1) Length of time body stayed on the ground was cut so you couldn't easily relog and run back to it (- by chance once I relogged once a hundred yards from my dead body and a crowd of zombs  were still kicking it (mad b*stards) 

2) Thedevs wanted more free processing power, so as they chnged the rule - As soon as no live player were in a short range of a fresh body it dematerialised, same as any player object left on the ground. If you died alone you'd be off the map in a minute.

That' s Great for bandwith and server agility .. they focused pretty much 100% and worked on lag problems rubberbanding .. network ..  SO bodies that lay where they dropped even if no one was near - they just went out of the game..

That was a BIG loss.

Drama and psychology :That was a GREAT HUGE pity for the gameplay.. It's an unforgettable experience when you're moving across the map and you hear flies over behind that stone wall near the gas station ahead of you... That really GETS YOUR ATTENTION.. it changes everything that's happening.. a player who didn't make it "flies buzzing around his eyes" .. do you check it out, go over there, follow it down .. is it an ambush, why did he die, what gear does he have..?   look, a dead fresh-stater with no backpack, a raincoat and a peak cap, dead on his face on the beach..  .. guy died .. you wonder where he was trying to get to .. I swear you feel pity and you say a silent word and then you move on - you don't want to end up that same way.. You are part of a game that has People in it - and some of them are Alive and some of them are Dead..  you meet both.. 

THAT used to give a DEPTH to the game.. I BELEIVE all longtime players who were around through that epoch REMEMBER those incidents ...

For me = Instead of a bigger pop server - If it were MY choice I'd cut ten or so of the max pop and leave places for dead players, maybe fix a way a player can't reclaim their own gear from their own body

But that was GOOD PLAY, and anyone there will tell you the same.. MEMORABLE.. 

tales of Survival and Death

xxp

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:21 AM, jamie.lou said:

particularly in .60-.62 era and things have definitely changed and I miss it

LOT of valid and interesting stuff in this @jamie.loupost - worth reading in detail.. I'm going to read it through again and think about it.. 
Yeah j.l  - I miss it too.

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

Drama and psychology :That was a GREAT HUGE pity for the gameplay.. It's an unforgettable experience when you're moving across the map and you hear flies over behind that stone wall near the gas station ahead of you... That really GETS YOUR ATTENTION.. it changes everything that's happening.. a player who didn't make it "flies buzzing around his eyes" .. do you check it out, go over there, follow it down .. is it an ambush, why did he die, what gear does he have..?   look, a dead fresh-stater with no backpack, a raincoat and a peak cap, dead on his face on the beach..  .. guy died .. you wonder where he was trying to get to .. I swear you feel pity and you say a silent word and then you move on - you don't want to end up that same way.. You are part of a game that has People in it - and some of them are Alive and some of them are Dead..  you meet both.. 

THAT used to give a DEPTH to the game.. I BELEIVE all longtime players who were around through that epoch REMEMBER those incidents ...

For me = Instead of a bigger pop server - If it were MY choice I'd cut ten or so of the max pop and leave places for dead players, maybe fix a way a player can't reclaim their own gear from their own body

But that was GOOD PLAY, and anyone there will tell you the same.. MEMORABLE..

Good post and I agree. Nobody cares about whether a server has 60 or 50 slots on it. Everybody's been asking for old content and more. Nobody wants this game to turn into some Battle Royale wannabe (I like that film, no hate), it's a survival simulator and should be treated as such. Stop being retarded and making stupid business decisions Bohemia, give hardcore players what they want.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:20 PM, haxordie said:

When's the stable branch coming?

They still have alot of fixing to do but it's looking very good and if everything goes well, I will be able to check off two of those boxes, come the stable release 🙂

Okay boys and girls, today's the day. With this amazing new patch 1.05 that I have extensively tested on the experimental branch, I can now even check off two of the boxes on the list of promised features. What a great day! What a great patch!

Edited by 0.64 Freerider
  • Like 1

*standing ovation* Successful last couple of patches, for sure! Honestly, I wouldn't care that much if they ditched 2-way doors. Focus on the other things!

7 hours ago, ThePugman said:

*standing ovation* Successful last couple of patches, for sure! Honestly, I wouldn't care that much if they ditched 2-way doors. Focus on the other things!

Agreed. They put an "etc." in there, sooooo I guess we can read into that our most wanted features. But there's not much point. They stayed very strict with their "we don't say what we're working on" which allowed them to pull off some great surprises. Better expect nothing and be positively surprised than expect something and be negatively surprised.

• Like 1

Just logged into my normally peaceful ruined farmhouse base, where nothing ever seems to happen, and there were FLIES.

Such a sense of dread with large flies and their loud buzzing at my spawn point, so likely some dead player close by.

After several minutes searching for possible killers there was no corpse or signs of a fight.

Now wish I'd planted those pumpkins before I logged off, as perhaps the player died from starvation or thirst.

Flies, such a simple idea, yet a huge affect upon game play for players like me.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:34 PM, malkom-7b75c693685e9033 said:

Just logged into my normally peaceful ruined farmhouse base, where nothing ever seems to happen, and there were FLIES.

Such a sense of dread with large flies and their loud buzzing at my spawn point, so likely some dead player close by.

After several minutes searching for possible killers there was no corpse or signs of a fight.

Now wish I'd planted those pumpkins before I logged off, as perhaps the player died from starvation or thirst.

Flies, such a simple idea, yet a huge affect upon game play for players like me.

Yep I agree it's a cool addition. In your case it might have been a bug though, as devs have confirmed to it not always behaving correctly yet.

Been a while, eh everybody? I for one am kind of curious if there have been any personnel changes, or should I rather say, cutdowns...

On 9/28/2019 at 12:34 PM, malkom-7b75c693685e9033 said:

They sometimes buzz without a body there. They in fact sound different, if there is a body they are really persistent and the sound is louder as you get closer to the body, so you can navigate to the body even if you don't see it right away. But if it does not get louder as you move around it's just a random buzz, perhaps to signal that you stink too much 😄 

So it's 2020 and were still waiting on over half the features promised way back from the beginning of Standalone. So how's that working out for all the defenders that told us to keep waiting and that everything will get better after beta?

• Beans 1

7 hours ago, Deathlove said:

So it's 2020 and were still waiting on over half the features promised way back from the beginning of Standalone. So how's that working out for all the defenders that told us to keep waiting and that everything will get better after beta?

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Deathlove said:

I'm just as disappointed with the state of the game as anyone but "planned" does not mean "promised"

• Like 1