nhow7108

World size

The map seems small to me. Is it ever going to be expanded? I want to be able to set out to a location and have it take days to get there. Of course vehicles would make that quicker. *EDIT* heres what im talking about .

Edited by nhow7108

3 minutes ago, Sterlyng Roehrig said:

Your joking right? The map for how many players are in it currently is too big imo

Its really not. Look up the wholemap for chenarus. The current play area is a tiny piece of the actual whole map. 

Right but you understand that that "whole map" came long after? When the game first came out on PC this is all they had too, but even this is massive for 60 players, I wish everyday there was 100 players, me and a buddy hit the NWAF and all its surrounding military camps looking for people in a high pop one day and didnt even run into anyone

Edited by nhow7108

7 minutes ago, Sterlyng Roehrig said:

Right but you understand that that "whole map" came long after? When the game first came out on PC this is all they had too, but even this is massive for 60 players, I wish everyday there was 100 players, me and a buddy hit the NWAF and all its surrounding military camps looking for people in a high pop one day and didnt even run into anyone

Yeah i know. I have a feeling that sometime after launch they will expand and add to the map. They might even add all new playable maps

Edited by nhow7108

I don't think the map needs to be bigger. I can go days without bumping into a soul. But I would like to see other maps release too. Namalsk and taviana would be nice to play on 

2 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I don't think the map needs to be bigger. I can go days without bumping into a soul. But I would like to see other maps release too. Namalsk and taviana would be nice to play on 

Im talking about more players, AI bandits or soldiers, NPC traders and quest, missions etc...

12 minutes ago, nhow7108 said:

Im talking about more players, AI bandits or soldiers, NPC traders and quest, missions etc...

Of console could handle more players on bigger maps then I'm all for it. Best to get the base game stable first though. A friend plays on Epoch and he loves the AI enemies on that game with loot missions. All promising stuff for the future maybe. 

And thank god for that! :)

When it takes the better part of a (real-time) day to walk diagonally across the map (and cars are so rare, so hard to get going and so easy to wreck) then I will say that the size is plenty big.

To the devs: Please dont make it any bigger before you implement jetpacks in the game! :P

2 hours ago, Jonas Levin said:

And thank god for that! :)

When it takes the better part of a (real-time) day to walk diagonally across the map (and cars are so rare, so hard to get going and so easy to wreck) then I will say that the size is plenty big.

To the devs: Please dont make it any bigger before you implement jetpacks in the game! :P

I disagree. Arma 3 map is 3 times this map size and i love it. bigger the better. just increase player count to 100.

And i have found two cars on my home server. Wasn't even looking. Maybe need to get better at the game. I actually only need a car for moving/building base. Id rather walk otherwise. No need to announce that you have arrived at your destination. As soon as we have bicycles That is....

Edited by SurSlaughter

2 hours ago, SurSlaughter said:

I disagree. Arma 3 map is 3 times this map size and i love it. bigger the better. just increase player count to 100.

4 times the size, I believe (944 vs 236 km²). But the landmass itself is only 1.5 times bigger (270 vs 180 km²).

Map isn't too big but has too many points of interest for the player count.

I dont want NPCs and quests, if they add them I stop playing this, the second they add those they turn into every other RPG on the market, right now I love how unique this game, the fact that there are no NPCs, but instead the community is driven by the players 

Another thing is that the whole continent is in the game its just not populated with anything its just grass and hills for miles. The basic shape is all there. I have seen a video where someone drove along the coast outside of the map and you can see the coast shape. It matches the map above.

And one thing thats disappointing is that when bohemia changed the games engine, they gutted most of the legacy backend code that carried over from when dayz ran on Armas engine  needed to implement AI soldiers and bandits. They gutted AI flanking, formation, pathfinding and other importent features needed for AI smarter than zombies. They did it to streamline the code and they figured they didnt need those things. It would be alot of work for them to put it all back in again and get it to work nicely. Our best chance for these features is for modders to do it.

The map roughly 100sq miles or 230sq kilometres, so that's more than a square mile per person. I personally think that big enough, especially if you looked at a heat map of players on the map at any time I'd say atleast a quarter are around the coast line murdering each other lol.

• Like 3

Also I'd love another map. I'm sure before the new engines production there were a few status updates that mentioned an intern was working on a new version of the Namalsk map for SA but then all news stopped concerning it. So hopefully down the road at some point we will get new maps , I'd also love Tavianna to be added too as I don't know either of those maps as well as chernarus & for me it's learning the map using points of interest without using an app or map next to me thats the most fun element of the game.

• Like 1