Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 23 October 2018

Hi, as a triple monitor DayZ player, i wanted to ask if there will be any work done soon on the inventory lay out? I have been having to hold an item in my hands in order to be able to see what is inside them. https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198067065432/screenshots/

Also, i have been having a glare bug happening  https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198067065432/screenshots/ reguardless of where the sun was i would see the glare from it, even indoors. 

ok, that is what i have, thanks!!!

On 31. 10. 2018 at 10:30 AM, emuthreat said:

Perhaps what is missing to assuage some of these concerns we are all having, could be solved by a graphic of what exactly are the "core" features; and how they relate to these yet to be implemented features that many of us have been mentioning.
If throwing objects, fishing, using snares, crating and coloring leather clothes, and vaulting are not core features of the game/engine, please illustrate to us which core features form the base plate of these functionalities; and try to explain to us the hierarchy of complexity preventing such things from being viable at this time.
I really do think it would help a lot.

Visualizing information is a fair point, that's been something we've always been struggling with in our communication. I could try and push for a blog post from the game design team on what the core of DayZ gameplay is, and what are the things that add what we call flavor to the experience, no promises though, as they will have a lot of work processing feedback and balancing when we move 0.63 to Stable. 

OT: to the dude suggesting I was fired based on the job ad, no, I'm just hiring a new brand manager for our Bratislava studio. Feel free to apply :)

22 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

Can anyone confirm that 1.0 will be the build that leaves early access (PC)/game preview (xbox)?

The 1.0 December plans only concern PC. There is a whole lot of specific platform requirements that we're just not able to pass now (implementing specific Xbox friends features etc. - I think if you google for Xbox XRs and Xbox TCR you can read up more on that, it's pretty complex) because they are not important for now, and also the console inventory is something we'll need to put some more work into (as that's part of the core experience). But again, that's something we don't have the time for now, as we're focused on stabilizing the PC build.

14 hours ago, exwoll said:

Headed towards a console focused pseudo-hardcore moneygrab survival experience. 

I already saw the warning signs last year in some of their SR, when Brian left, that was the sealing moment that confirmed my fears. They lied a lot to defend themselves, and now that they shown their cards it was no surprise at all. A lot of folk wasn't expecting that, they had (some still have) their pink glasses on,, the rest is already tired from warning about that since a long time ago. 

What disgust me at this point, is that they dare to come here and openly spread corporate PR bs to calm the masses.

(last line just killed me, specially contrasting with the shady smoking businessuit avatar pic lol)

I'm actually happy you bring this up! I thought no one would notice :) My avatar is Don Draper from the TV show Mad Men. You'd have to watch all 7 seasons to understand why I picked him to represent me on the forums, but all I can say is that while imperfect, and sometimes an asshole, he's the exact opposite of your average bullshitting business person :)

On 27. 10. 2018 at 10:26 AM, Gadget_97 said:

Martin, is bohemia about to move ressources from dayz to another project with this 1.0 ?

No, no plans for that with 1.0, that's not why we're going for it - like I said, it's about stabilizing game fur further development after 1.0.

We've been hiring quite generously for all projects (and we're still doing that), and to be honest right now, we're also running all 4 game projects at Bohemia (DayZ, Ylands, Vigor, Arma 3) on 4 different technologies (Enfusion, Unity, Unreal, RV), so from my understanding, moving people between projects is not that desirable now anyway.

• Beans 6

4 minutes ago, RaptorM60 said:

Visualizing information is a fair point, that's been something we've always been struggling with in our communication. I could try and push for a blog post from the design on what the core of DayZ gameplay is, and what are the things that add what we call flavor to the experience, no promises though, as they will have a lot of work processing feedback and balancing when we move 0.63 to Stable. 

That would be very appreciated and would help a lot to see the complete picture because that picture is vague and incomplete for most of us now.

Also, I'm hoping to get an answer to a big concern/question I have: why do you guys want to release the game after you stabilized it rather than release it after stabilizing it and adding all the flavor content/features?

15 hours ago, General Zod said:

Headed towards what's in the report. 5 years into the development this game is a state that no one will pay for. And yes it does matter if we have throwing, not because it's a make or break feature, but we should be getting more and more content and functionality with each patch, let alone something as bing as going beta. Throwing has been bugged since ever, it should have been fixed dozen times over by now, not removed. Removing broken features instead of fixing them is not progress.  

This project already had it's biggest cash injection,  if that didn't allow the devs to get things done I don't see much room for improvement, I highly doubt the sales especially for PC have been going up, and this might just be the final nail in the coffin. What we have here is one step forward, two steps back. All you need is to go through this thread and you see that even the biggest fans realize that things are not looking good if this is how we enter beta. Beta should be a big patch, full of improvement that wakes this game up from the borderline coma it's in. What we got instead is life support. 

But we have been getting new features and content every last few major patches, with only 2 months between them as well. Throwing was very bugged, perhaps they could leave the bugged version in it before fixing it. Maybe that was not possible since we are on a different engine now.

Like I said, marketing wise releasing 1.0 as described in the SR is not the best idea but the game has made some good progress throughout this year, full with improvements. Only some features and content will be missing when looking back at the original goals. Purely looking at the game it does not matter if we get 1.0 this December or next year summer.

We will see what the situation will be at the end of this year, but if they fix most recurring bugs, glitches and balance the game accordingly, then we have a very decent survival game at Christmas.

Edited by amadieus

3 hours ago, amadieus said:

Purely looking at the game it does not matter if we get 1.0 this December or next year summer.

No of course it won't matter, because there will be no one left to give a shit. Current peak player count for dayz is 2.3K. It's dead, Jim. 

Edited by General Zod

9 minutes ago, General Zod said:

No of course it won't matter, because there will be no one left to give a shit. Current peak player count for dayz is 2.3K. It's dead, Jim. 

Obviously this will increase when it will be released plus modding. If the game has 5k players you will easily find a server.

17 hours ago, RaptorM60 said:

. I could try and push for a blog post from the game design team on what the core of DayZ gameplay is, and what are the things that add what we call flavor to the experience, no promises though, as they will have a lot of work processing feedback and balancing when we move 0.63 to Stable. 

I don't mean to be unappreciative or dismissive here, but if this means taking time away from anyone doing mission critical tasks, please don't.  For one thing, I'm sure everyone is already overworked and stressed out, and do not need any more worries.

And secondly, the damage is already done, so to speak.  Everyone was prepared for more delays and missed deadlines.  What we didn't expect, was to hear that 1.0 was going to have significantly reduced content.  The kneejerk reactions have all come and gone, for the most part.
A detailed explanation of why the reduction in 1.0 content goals was unavoidable and absolutely necessary, would have softened the blow and helped to temper reactions by letting us see for ourselves where the different tasks sat in relation to another.

But after the fact, the value is much less, especially knowing that it may take valuable time away from people who should be working to make the game.
In a way, it is like telling a close friend that you cannot make it to their birthday celebration that you have both been discussing excitedly for months.  Having ice cream, or sushi, or beer on hand while you deliver the bad news is much more effective at softening the blow, than is offering it a week and a half after the fact.

Thank you for the response.

• Beans 3

On 11/2/2018 at 2:12 AM, emuthreat said:

birthday celebration that you have both been discussing excitedly for months

You mean 5 or 6 years? LOL

Edited by Ballsinacan01

On 10/25/2018 at 4:09 AM, IMT said:

If they are ready, why do we need to put them manually in? Why is there so much content kept from us while it's actually ready? It doesn't make any sense, are they trying to get us to have "oh my god, I didn't expect this" reaction when they release? If so, they are making themselves look bad right now for that reason because based on the Status Report, everything which is in the game right now is it for us and it's not much. They're going to have 2 months to get everything in, to fix bugs and polish because they want to release DayZ no matter what in 2018. That's not much time, specially to fix bugs and polish the game.

As I said before, we need some clarification, perhaps a separate post from the team to clarify a lot of shit up and get a lot of questions answered. A great thing which would help is a list of all the items and features which are going to be in 1.0 and a list of what was in 0.62 but isn't going to be in 1.0. Also a list of what isn't in 0.62 and is (not) going be in 1.0. And I'm talking about the full thing, I know that is a lot and a lot to ask for but right now, it's unclear what we're getting.

The exp branch was a bare-bones branch of the game supposed to test cutting-edge features. Not try on different baseball caps. Some features and items were removed on purpose for performance or ease of operation. Like I said before, crafting recipes and other functions of the game may be enabled at will by the player from within the server files. If you take a look, you will see it's all there, just disabled or modified for testing.