OK, so I am in some kinda summer camp. I know it is south of the Devils castle because I can see it, but I cannot find where I am on a map. Anyone have an idea???

Also have a red food bar and been surviving on worms for over 2 hours, help with that would be appreciated also. Where can I find food? 

10 minutes ago, Gortmore_Xbox said:

OK, so I am in some kinda summer camp. I know it is south of the Devils castle because I can see it, but I cannot find where I am on a map. Anyone have an idea???

Also have a red food bar and been surviving on worms for over 2 hours, help with that would be appreciated also. Where can I find food? 

5 minutes ago, HaseDesTodes said:

you are (probably) there:

http://www.dayztv.com/map/#6.081.043

It is always a good idea to follow paths or preferably roads to find the next village/city. Knowing your rough location is already a big advantage, so best of success finding your way, I agree on @HaseDesTodes estimation where you are at. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gortmore_Xbox said:

You know how to find direction - North South West East ?? .. Check it out.   In DayZ you can find compass directions from sun, moon, & stars  ..  it's a good survival thing ..  (we used to have a prevailing wind too, but I don't know if that works now in the game, not taken heed of it since a long while back). It's worth finding out how to do survival direction-finding [on this Forum or a web wilderness survival beginners guide].. the direction-finding stuff that works in the real world, works in Chernarus. 

Then (if the sun's strong enough for shadow) it's easiest to align yourself, check the angle that you want to go compared to your shadow or tree shadows, and head straight that way .. In your case you've got a town on the map directly North of you. Go North, in 5 mins you'll be on the road and seeing the town.

In Chernarus, when the sun is at it's highest (noon), it is overhead and directly South. At sunrise its just about East, at sunset its just about West. 
(I don"t know if BI is into equinoxes or not, are they?.. someone have to ask Yoda)

And shadows point away from the sun. (heh)

At night find the Pole star. It's there in DayZ.

At night if you have a crescent moon (any part of the moon is dark) , draw a line between the two points of the crescent down to meet the earth.. that point is due South.

http://blog.outdoorherbivore.com/wilderness/moon-navigation/

And finally, maybe ought to ask BI about this -  If the moon rises before the sun sets, the illuminated side is West. If the moon rises after midnight, the illuminated side is East.
(right BI?)

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maytrix001 said:

I would just head towards it then.  Keep walking until you can determine exactly where you are.

Cant make 10 meters with my hunger so bad :(

http://Dayztv.com

Has the best interactive map that I've found so far.

You can toggle all variations of buildings, animals, towns, vehicles, crash sites, water supplies, etc. on or off the map.

Once you figure out where you are it becomes super easy to find anything and everything you might need.

I'm still on my second life, about 20 hours in.

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

You know how to find direction - North South West East ?? .. Check it out.   In DayZ you can find compass directions from sun, moon, & stars  ..  it's a good survival thing ..  (we used to have a prevailing wind too, but I don't know if that works now in the game, not taken heed of it since a long while back). It's worth finding out how to do survival direction-finding [on this Forum or a web wilderness survival beginners guide].. the direction-finding stuff that works in the real world, works in Chernarus. 

Then (if the sun's strong enough for shadow) it's easiest to align yourself, check the angle that you want to go compared to your shadow or tree shadows, and head straight that way .. In your case you've got a town on the map directly North of you. Go North, in 5 mins you'll be on the road and seeing the town.

In Chernarus, when the sun is at it's highest (noon), it is overhead and directly South. At sunrise its just about East, at sunset its just about West. 
(I don"t know if BI is into equinoxes or not, are they?.. someone have to ask Yoda)

At night if you have a crescent moon (any part of the moon is dark) , draw a line between the two points of the crescent down to meet the earth.. that point is due South.

And finally, maybe ought to ask BI about this -  If the moon rises before the sun sets, the illuminated side is West. If the moon rises after midnight, the illuminated side is East.
(right BI?)

xxP

You forgot to mention the easiest. The clouds. The Clouds in Chernarus always travel from the West to the East. To find North, face towards the direction that the clouds are travelling, then turn 90 degrees to the left.

• Like 1

Wish I knew about the cloud method earlier. Would have made traveling much easier.

4 hours ago, CarlTheGooner said:

You forgot to mention the easiest. The clouds. The Clouds in Chernarus always travel from the West to the East. To find North, face towards the direction that the clouds are travelling, then turn 90 degrees to the left.

7 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

(right BI?)

xxP

I’m pretty sure the Sun is currently static in XBox one build. Shadows point NW

• Beans 1

13 hours ago, Tyler Tee H C said:

I’m pretty sure the Sun is currently static in XBox one build. Shadows point NW

Wow - so tht's about as EASY as you can get.. !!   Say - You Xbox folk get all the breaks!

When I started playing and got really lost (a lot) , we learned that the wind was from the East (watch the clouds) so heading into the wind would eventually bring you to the coast.. and from the coast road it's real HARD to be lost.. That was as easy as it got, and still you had to learn it (as well as the other direction tricks) .
But you Xbox players are starting off discovering Chernarus by wandering out there in survival Luxury
I'll bet drinking from river water or eating raw meat doesn't even give you the chance of catching disease (yet) .. hmm?

[mutter, spit, mumble] - sun always in the same place!?  dang!! ..   and the greenhorns STILL get lost?  .. how do they manage to DO that?

ENJOY

xxP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty sure the sun changes position. You don't get disease. Clouds go west to east. Easy to find your way when you have the correct information.

• Beans 1

On 9/6/2018 at 1:13 PM, pilgrim* said:

(right BI?)

xxP

We dont get night on xbox....

1 hour ago, Los Bandito said:

We dont get night on xbox....

Old saying: "Make your sausages while the sun shines - soon the darkness will come"

ENJOY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm loving navigating in dayz, everything is such a challenge. It took me and a friend nearly two hours to find each other, and hes played on PC. Very rewarding to finally navigate to a place you're looking for. This game rewards in ways that other games don't. For me, some of my knowledge comes from watching hundreds of hours of FrankieonPC and Blackout. I get really excited when I stumble into an area I've seen in a video.i guess I'm a sad fanboy, but I've waited five years to play this game! 

There is also an awesome way i have recently discovered on how to Navigate with friends.

Download the iZurvive map and sign into the same profile, this allows you to see markers for eachother.

You're welcome.

3 minutes ago, Los Bandito said:

There is also an awesome way i have recently discovered on how to Navigate with friends.

Download the iZurvive map and sign into the same profile, this allows you to see markers for eachother.

You're welcome.

Yeah, me and a friend have been using this too. It's an excellent resource as it also also allows you to estimate journey times.