Baker.

Wells, and Forests

Good afternoon Gentlefolks, I have been away for a while. 

Picked up the game again after a few years of frustration and broken dreams only to find its quite pleasant now. Its basically a polished version of the mod with much deeper mechanics and a much nicer looking map. Long story short I’m have a blast. 

As a dude who wrecked a marriage and spent close to 10,000 hours between playing the mod and building servers and such I've noticed a glaring flaw in the layout of the map. I.E. the wilderness. I really enjoy the new areas, it feels both familiar and foreign at the same time. But one thing its robbed us of is the vast wilderness for which lone wolves and solo hermit types can tread. Likewise with 60+ players on a persistent server its going to be near impossible to establish and maintain a camp in its absence. On the few persistent servers I played on every time we manage to snag a tent and place it, there is either no where decent to do so or there is an existing camp in the same area.

So enough bitching, here's my suggestion:

Suggestion # 1: Add to the map a similar buffer zone of forest that existed on vanilla Chernarus. Perhaps ranging from10-30km thick. It would also have the added benefit of hiding the debug zone from most players. 

Mockup:

nOzcmyz.jpg

Suggestion # 2: There should be wells everywhere. You see a lone house on a beaten path? What were they drinking? They would have needed a well before the outbreak. To balance the presence of all these new wells one could add a status to the well where they could cycle from working to broken and in various states in between. Wells not working all would give you nothing, and then in various states up to pristine they could have a variable risk of giving you the cough. Perhaps they could be repairable with a pipe wrench and a peice of pipe. Maybe I’m the only one who thinks this would add more depth to survival, but running over to a well near death from dehydration only to find its broken, or conversely the "oh shit yes!" feeling you'd get if it was working would be just awesome.

Apologies if these ideas are already kicking around…

Edited by Baker.
Added Stuffs
  • Beans 1

1) There is plenty of forest available in the 'vanilla' map. It is just that everyone runs to the same damn spots, aka the edges of the map. There is plenty of room in the center, you know?

In the rough diamond area between Nadezhdino, Pusta, Msta and Gorka, there is a range of forests and hills that I pretty much only very rarely see people in.  I've had camps there for weeks on a full-pop, and they never got touched.

2) I agree. Without a lack of drinkable water, Day Z will never be the survival game it needs to be.

• Beans 1

13 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

1) There is plenty of forest available in the 'vanilla' map. It is just that everyone runs to the same damn spots, aka the edges of the map. There is plenty of room in the center, you know?

In the rough diamond area between Nadezhdino, Pusta, Msta and Gorka, there is a range of forests and hills that I pretty much only very rarely see people in.  I've had camps there for weeks on a full-pop, and they never got touched.

2) I agree. Without a lack of drinkable water, Day Z will never be the survival game it needs to be.

I think a big idea of that outer edge forest though is to make it so the debug isn't nearly as evident, because it sure as hell is immersion breaking running along then seeing a clear line of absolutely nothing. With that extra layer of forest, it'd put a little more between us and that abyss, and since nothing would be out there, there wouldn't be as much incentive to travel that far to where you'd even see the debug.

• Beans 1

39 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

and they never got touched.

I couldnt disagree more. I spend 50% of my play time in these areas. Once you get to know them they shrink up real fast. The map is above; you need to fit 60+ camps in that small forested area. Its already crowded on persistant servers. Then add basebuilding, fogettaboutit.

On 06/12/2017 at 7:09 PM, Baker. said:

Good afternoon Gentlefolks, I have been away for a while. 

First of all, welcome back!

Suggestion # 1:

As stated before we do not plan to increase the size of the map anytime soon. While there are some ideas floating around (for the future - beyond 1.0), our top priority is currently getting all the remaining planned content in and huge polishing pass prior to the upcoming releases.
I definitely get the benefits of having Arma 2-like borders, but we have to work within the dimensions we have (15.36x15.36 kilometers) at this point in time. Pre-62, there was this crazy quality difference between the N and W that we just had to equal it somehow. But the western border rework was definitely aimed at keeping its wilderness feel to it (unlike the northern rework, which has added a lot of settlements and unfortunately several of them too close to the border).

Suggestion # 2:

Various damage states for the wells would definitely be needed if we ever are going to increase their presence on the map. We do plan to re-visit their locations, but if something like this will be implemented prior this pass is other thing (but I will mention it to designers).

• Like 2
  • Beans 3

Maybe adding a gorge as a border on one side? There is this lack of a river on the map anyway :)

6 hours ago, cirkular said:

Maybe adding a gorge as a border on one side? There is this lack of a river on the map anyway :)

The easiest way would be to bring the landmass to the west and north in the debug zone below zero, so it would be ocean.

But, it would destroy the complete background of the history and situation of Chernarus. To see Chernarus as an island, it would take a new story or lore.

(a passage to the sea as in the northeastern corner, forest, then debug steeply sloping down to the sea).

but what about it?

arma_2_island_locations.jpg

Naaah I didn't mean like an island of course :) I'm not trying to ruin the lore, and there were suggestions like this before, cliffs and rocks, but also road blocks, poisonous gas, fog, missile sites...

Edited by cirkular

1 hour ago, cirkular said:

Naaah I didn't mean like an island of course :) I'm not trying to ruin the lore, and there were suggestions like this before, cliffs and rocks, but also road blocks, poisonous gas, fog, missile sites...

Yea i also get what you mean. I like it when maps give the illusion of never ending at their borders. Like impassable cliffs/mountains or dense/thick forests. Hopefully they can do that for their future maps that aren't island maps.

On 12/7/2017 at 10:13 PM, Sumrak said:

First of all, welcome back!

As stated before we do not plan to increase the size of the map anytime soon. While there are some ideas floating around (for the future - beyond 1.0)

Illuminati confirmed

A thing that would be awesome would be to be able to build underground camps, dig with a shovel for X feets, after that, you have to use a picaxe to break the rocks and create your paths, i think that would add a lot to the game

Personally it would be one of my first tries in a real world apocalypse to build myself an underground safe heaven !! But if you're caught working on an underground camp it could lead to interresting encounters as more often than not you have only 1 exit available