Kohlbar

What Makes PVP Fun?

On 9/18/2016 at 4:05 AM, Kohlbar said:

To me, this game at its core is a Survival game, not a PvP game. I like running around the map, making goals for my character and just surviving. When I run into someone randomly, the PvP feels so exciting and rewarding. My pulse goes way up, my hands start to shake and I'm engaged in this gritty fight for survival. However, when I play specifically for the PVP and go to dangerous areas just for that purpose, I end up feeling like I'm wasting my time; kills don't feel as satisfying and deaths make me feel like a worthless sack of potatoes.

Anyway this makes me wonder if anyone can relate. What makes PvP in DayZ fun to you?

Without fail I have to defend myself with a sharpened stick against fully geared players coming all piss and vinegar at me.

That being said, when I have the upper hand I rarely pull the trigger on a stranger true KoS fashion. I almost always talk to them and even invite them to a five-star zucchini meal! It makes it much more meaningful to kill someone you spoke to, someone who appreciated your hospitality! rather than killing some Joe or a freshspawn.

In other words: It's interesting if I'm at a disadvantage and I got to talk to the person before we started fighting.

Like somebody very intelligently said before, there is no "right or wrong" way to play DayZ. 

Lone wolfs, socially minded players, KOS enthusiasts, super stealthy resource gatherers, bandits and heroes are all part of the DayZ universe. This is what makes DayZ unique.

How boring, if this game was just played as "survivor simulator" or only as a run-and-gun shooter (the two extremes). Play in whatever way suits your style best, there is room for everybody!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2016 at 7:17 PM, BCBasher said:

Avoiding it, failing that successfully disengaging.

That's what I enjoy about PVP.

I had my fill of shooters over the last twenty something years and the main thing I like about DayZ is it doesn't keep score and you simply win by not loosing.  

Gotta agree with you on that. There is something immensely satisfying about being able to use the terrain to avoid certain death. Its better, I think, if you can get revenge but usually its me alone vs 4 or 5 guys and running is the only realistic option.

• Like 1

The intricate decision making. You set out with a goal and every interaction you have is like a game of cards. You are dealt a hand the moment you notice another player and now you have to play it to the best of your ability to satisfy your goal (whatever it may be). No situation is the same and every time you fail to reach your goal you can determinate your errors and return wiser.

Like others have said, PvP is survival. Whether you seek it or not, death is always around the corner in DayZ and you will have to plan and play accordingly.

4 hours ago, KingOfTime said:

Gotta agree with you on that. There is something immensely satisfying about being able to use the terrain to avoid certain death. Its better, I think, if you can get revenge but usually its me alone vs 4 or 5 guys and running is the only realistic option.

I'm even happy if I can bleed out far enough away they can't "confirm" their kill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCBasher said:

I'm even happy if I can bleed out far enough away they can't "confirm" their kill.

Until some of us find you.....

s548450553781504064_p235_i1_w600.jpeg

Then

dayz-human-steak.jpg

Yummie!!! Denied by who?

4 hours ago, Liandri (DayZ) said:

The intricate decision making. You set out with a goal and every interaction you have is like a game of cards. You are dealt a hand the moment you notice another player and now you have to play it to the best of your ability to satisfy your goal (whatever it may be).

Sometimes the hand of cards you're dealt is a 500m+ headshot from a ghillie sniper. Personally, I find it rather difficult to play with that hand.

• Like 2

Heh, a certain wild-factor is important to keep it interesting. If I wanted to play a game without any risk that is outside of my control I'd play chess. All one can do is to minimize the risk of that happening and there is a lot one can do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

Sometimes the hand of cards you're dealt is a 500m+ headshot from a ghillie sniper. Personally, I find it rather difficult to play with that hand.

Lordbud made a 1000+/- 100-200m shot once with a mosin, long ranged scope. I positioned us on the mountain between electro, that small village, with bridges. I had lordbud scope, and kill a person moving in the field. We where at the very top.

It took a few shots to get the downward aim correct, but once he took the shot, wham head shot. I had to run down and prove it was what the range calculated said. 1000+/- 200m.I had about 800-900 prior but his outdid ours. I still think i hit one guy 1400m aiming about 6 inches higher. I saw blood splatters but 1400 is almost impossible to do, but it was at least 200 more then what lordbud did to the open field one. I was at the house to the far left close to the barn. That kind of sniper shot gets you killed. Usually someone will be hanging out on the hill, or some cheater floating up trying to back stab you. So we played around, protecting each other up there and sure enough it landed.

PVP is fun, no matter what type of class you play either sniper, assault or medic. I enjoy pvp, and make sure i try to get enough together to enter into events such as what the misfits put on for us. HIHB has or had weekly events going on for pvp fun.

Private servers, have sometimes the best events, not just open pvp random kos things happening. So if you guys haven't, i recommend giving it a try. It doesn't hurt to have many characters on different servers.

I find that this game is FAR from a survival game, as it's too easy to find food, ammo, guns, clothing and bags, ect. So due to this, PvP seems to be the driving force behind a lot of players, "Fun". I try to interact as much as possible, but when those interactions, leave me at the, "You are dead" screen, I am becoming far more of a recluse than anything else. Preferring a lot of sneaking around, and "People watching" than anything else, and sniping aggressive/hostile players as now I am more of a, "Guardian angel" protecting people from the shadows of the forest, than interacting face to face.

But the funnest part of PvP, is the rush you get when you hear the whizes and pings/pops of gun fire going past you, ect. This game still gives me a rush when engaging in PvP.

2 hours ago, comikz said:

I find that this game is FAR from a survival game, as it's too easy to find food, ammo, guns, clothing and bags, ect. So due to this, PvP seems to be the driving force behind a lot of players, "Fun". I try to interact as much as possible, but when those interactions, leave me at the, "You are dead" screen, I am becoming far more of a recluse than anything else. Preferring a lot of sneaking around, and "People watching" than anything else, and sniping aggressive/hostile players as now I am more of a, "Guardian angel" protecting people from the shadows of the forest, than interacting face to face.

But the funnest part of PvP, is the rush you get when you hear the whizes and pings/pops of gun fire going past you, ect. This game still gives me a rush when engaging in PvP.

Have you tried the .61 out yet? well wait if you dont care, once it hits stable you will change your mind somewhat 50% less.

Once the bugs are removed from apples, water it will be rather difficult to survive. But this game also should be pvp based, knowing that someone could be lerking in the shadows, waiting for you to turn your back. Wham... coastal spawn.

Survival, is not just wilderness but to survive what can lerk out there. To survive after a catastrophe would mean exactly what dayz would be like. We don't want to talk about warz, renamed to infestation, but they did the same thing.

What it would take... very very low loot, very very rare loot, and making you survive in the wilderness, making packs with other larger groups, to search the countryside in search for items. In a way you can refer to "the walking dead" small groups of infected, dead.

and then refer to things like "game of thrones" larger factions getting destroyed by smaller groups. Changing hands constantly, much like we see in "the walking Dead"

So it will be much social, survival (PVE) and interaction (PVP) the base game must be complete in order for those with different ideas to mod what might be lacking.

Remember horror, is a completely different game. Thriller, suspense, PVP, PVE it comes with the majority of things we need. At what scale you want it to be like? will require some modding after the fact, but we need the base game complete in order to populate what players want in the end.

But your right as the way it stands now, we cant compare today what it will be like tomorrow.