Kaboki

State of the game?

Hi, been away from this game for 2 years now basicly because when I quit the game seemed to go nowhere.... So how are things now? Do we have zombies? Is the performance gotten any better? Are we closer to release? In short, do we have a game?

Im asking because I would like to avoid 11GB download if the game is in the same shitty state as before....

Thanks

Edited by Kaboki

Sort of. Yes. Obviously.

We still have an alpha. The performance is much better, but not all that much has changed in terms of gameplay. The next patch will be introducing some cool new stuff, though, so it could be worth checking in on that.

Watch a video of .60. There are plenty of them out there.

9 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

Watch a video of .60. There are plenty of them out there.

Was watching a 60 minute video of 0.60, didn't see a single zombie:(. But If you say there are plenty I'll take your word for it and start downloading and give this game the benefit of the doubt. Recently been into Miscreated, but, yeah alpha, h1z1, alpha, ahhh f.... when the f... are these survival games ever gonna be released.

Edited by Kaboki

3 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

Was watching a 60 minute video of 0.60, didn't see a single zombie:(. But If you say there are plenty I'll take your word for it

No, no, there are plenty of videos. Depending on where you go you can find a good number of zombies, but not in the numbers you (and everybody, I suspect) are hoping for.

I don't know when there'll be lots of zombies. The next patch is having a fair bit of AI work done on it so a higher zombie count might sneak in. .60 was the performance update - it's worth playing just to see how much better it runs. Beyond a quick gander, however, you might be better off waiting for .61 - that's what I'm doing.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, so what can I expect?, If I see atleast the amount we had in the Dayz Mod I would be more than happy.... Anyway im soon finished dowloading so I guess I'll soon find out myself:p. Not very optimistic and expect the game to go back in the garbage bin after a few hours frustration, and I swear this is my last attemt at this game....

Also a bit curious how long a game can stay in alpha before it can be called a fraud and we can start demanding a refund.....

Edited by Kaboki

20 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

Also a bit curious how long a game can stay in alpha before it can be called a fraud and we can start demanding a refund.....

Games take a long time to develop. Bear in mind that we've seen the development of DayZ pretty much from day one. Most of the time we're only privy to a game's development several years in. Games aren't announced, produced in 6 months and then released in perfect working order. They're worked on, then announced, then they're released. The early access model just sort of switches that order around a little bit. Throwing money at the devs doesn't magically make them work faster either. If anything it makes them work slower, because the early success of the standalone led the devs to make DayZ even more ambitious - rather than just a standalone version of the mod. If you want to play the mod then play the mod - you shouldn't expect the standalone to be the exact same thing just with a new coat of paint.

If it really bothers you, wait for 1.0. Nobody knows when it's coming - it could be next year some time. If 1.0 doesn't meet your expectations then fair enough, but it seems stupid to declare the game worthless when it isn't even finished yet.

Sorry for that last statement:p. Has jsut been worn out lately on alphas that takes forever:p. Im now playing and the performance sure has skyrocketed, run  with 80-120 FPS, impressive. Seems like it was the right time to get back into Dayz(im and old fan of the mod, that has been a little bit grumpy about this standalone). With that amount of performance boost im sure they can manage to fill the world with more zombies, my confidence in bohemia has been restored(The latest ARMA 3 patches also gave some hope)...

So thanks for the reply, you made me retry the game:)

EDIT: Been playing now for 2 hours, not seen even 1 zombie, WHERE ARE THEY???!!! Was maybe abit too entusiatic an hour ago, but im starting too suspect why there is such great performance:p, zombies are non existant..... OMG, why did I do this to myself, why do I have to make myself suffer. Going too bed, I'll give it one more shot tommorow before I hit uninstall.........

Also I take back my statement about the alpha and fraud,,,,I bought into this about 4 years ago!!! expecting a zombie game, 4 years later, still not a got damn zombie to be seen!!!!

Bohemia Inactive be wayo!!

Edited by Kaboki

3 hours ago, Kaboki said:

Sorry for that last statement:p. Has jsut been worn out lately on alphas that takes forever:p. Im now playing and the performance sure has skyrocketed, run  with 80-120 FPS, impressive. Seems like it was the right time to get back into Dayz(im and old fan of the mod, that has been a little bit grumpy about this standalone). With that amount of performance boost im sure they can manage to fill the world with more zombies, my confidence in bohemia has been restored(The latest ARMA 3 patches also gave some hope)...

EDIT: Been playing now for 2 hours, not seen even 1 zombie, WHERE ARE THEY???!!! Was maybe abit too entusiatic an hour ago, but im starting too suspect why there is such great performance:p, zombies are non existant..... OMG, why did I do this to myself, why do I have to make myself suffer. Going too bed, I'll give it one more shot tommorow before I hit uninstall.........

Also I take back my statement about the alpha and fraud,,,,I bought into this about 4 years ago!!! expecting a zombie game, 4 years later, still not a got damn zombie to be seen!!!!

Infected are in most cities, and high military locations.

Your first statement how is the state of the game? it is massive repair to re catalog the items to the new render engine. Otherwise if your looking for a finished game it is not and it is broken.

Players Those that need to ask about the "state of the game" on these Forums rather than take the time to make their own subjective evaluation are always good for a laugh or at best a waste of space.
There are several elements that need to come together before the packet (game) can be sealed, as you would know if you had taken the time to follow development.

So @OP, just uninstal the game,stop wasting your time and regular forum goers.

Obviously it is not ready for your own expectations and this topic is a trollflame if we consider the announcement of DayZ SA was made 14/08/12 (4 years to the day) come back in another two years (4 - 1 = 2:) and maybe (just maybe) your hard earned money spent on the game about 4 years ago will be fulfilled (but I doubt it).

• Like 1

Oh shiiiiiit you just got buuurrrned. It's true though the best way to know the state of the game is to play it yourself. Everybody's experiences and expectations are different, and personal traits and environment can all affect the way you perceive what your eyes send to your brain. Keeping this in mind, nothing anybody says to you about the game will be an accurate representation of what you will see. Ya just gotta look, look with your eyes:))))))))))))))))))

14 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

If it really bothers you, wait for 1.0. Nobody knows when it's coming - it could be next year some time. If 1.0 doesn't meet your expectations then fair enough, but it seems stupid to declare the game worthless when it isn't even finished yet.

Hey, aren't we waiting for 1.0 for like 5 years now?

Wait, considering the MOD as well, isn't DayZ, all together, in development for like 10 years now? 

I mean, it's been far too long. Literally TOO long. Yes I understand, it's a difficult proccess that takes time. But not THAT difficult. They've been putting out little silly updates with items and renderers and whatnot for Y E A R S  now. Come on, with their MASSIVE profits from this game, they should be freakking able to put more people to the job, so it goes faster.

14 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

15 hours ago, Kaboki said:

FYI Dayz Standalone was released on December 16, 2013. If you do the calculation, Dayz has been in development for 973 days or 2 years 7 months and 30 days. Keep in mind any game takes on average 4-8 years for completion. Good example is Fallout 4. Development for Fallout 4 began in 2008. But it wasn't really in development until 2011. So in total it took the developers 7 years. But to be more precise it took them 4 years of complete focus on the game to have it released in late 2015. So buddy educate yourself before you make posts like yours. As others have stated. Games are not made overnight it takes time and work to get it done. Most games you are hearing about that will be released by the end of this year and in 2017 have been worked on for 4-8 years or more. Be patient and provided constructive feedback rather than blatant rants. 

34 minutes ago, Kronons said:

FYI Dayz Standalone was released on December 16, 2013. If you do the calculation, Dayz has been in development for 973 days or 2 years 7 months and 30 days. Keep in mind any game takes on average 4-8 years for completion. Good example is Fallout 4. Development for Fallout 4 began in 2008. But it wasn't really in development until 2011. So in total it took the developers 7 years. But to be more precise it took them 4 years of complete focus on the game to have it released in late 2015. So buddy educate yourself before you make posts like yours. As others have stated. Games are not made overnight it takes time and work to get it done. Most games you are hearing about that will be released by the end of this year and in 2017 have been worked on for 4-8 years or more. Be patient and provided constructive feedback rather than blatant rants. 

You sure, mate? I think Battlefield and CoD games are being released every 2 years. Or 3, MAXIMUM. 

Fallout games are of quality that's INCOMPARABLE to that of Dayz or anything basically. We literally did not get any major update at all since the beginning of DayZ standalone. Only some minor crap and objects and animations and so on.

Edited by Nathaniel912

16 hours ago, Kaboki said:

Been playing now for 2 hours, not seen even 1 zombie, WHERE ARE THEY???!!! Was maybe abit too entusiatic an hour ago, but im starting too suspect why there is such great performance:p, zombies are non existant..... OMG, why did I do this to myself, why do I have to make myself suffer. Going too bed, I'll give it one more shot tommorow before I hit uninstall.........

Dang, that makes all of us really depressed.   You don't have to do this, you don't have to suffer.  Please don't install, we're all counting on your insightful comments.  Regarding your feelings for the game, please keep us updated. It's important.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nathaniel912 said:

Hey, aren't we waiting for 1.0 for like 5 years now?

Wait, considering the MOD as well, isn't DayZ, all together, in development for like 10 years now? 

I... what?

2 hours ago, Nathaniel912 said:

You sure, mate? I think Battlefield and CoD games are being released every 2 years. Or 3, MAXIMUM. 

Fallout games are of quality that's INCOMPARABLE to that of Dayz or anything basically. We literally did not get any major update at all since the beginning of DayZ standalone. Only some minor crap and objects and animations and so on.

CoD and Battlefield are extremely iterative and are produced by very large studios. They do not have the scope of games like DayZ and Fallout, and they have teams dedicated to making sure there is a new CoD game every year - I'm sure you've heard stories of how those developers are being ground to the bone so they can meet deadlines. Why the fuck would you want BI to be a videogame sweatshop?

As for Fallout - please do regale me with stories of major content updates that Fallout regularly got over its lengthy development cycle. Fallout is not the pinnacle of gaming - it can be compared to many games quite easily. Skyrim, for example. Basically any Bethesda RPG.

If DayZ had just been released in 2017, or whenever, without early access then nobody would complain that it took so long to develop. They wouldn't complain because they wouldn't be privy to the game's development. Let's say Fallout 4 had announced it's release to early access back in, I don't know, 2009. Do you think that every week there'd be a game-changing new feature? Do you think there'd be a major new feature every year? Developing a game is one thing, but making sure the game is always in a playable state so random people can test it is another. That's why you hear about the devs doing internal testing and seeing that there are 'blockers' preventing them from releasing it to the public. Most of the time you don't have to worry about that. If anything this is an indictment of the early access model - sometimes it's too early.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

CoD and Battlefield are extremely iterative and are produced by very large studios. They do not have the scope of games like DayZ and Fallout, and they have teams dedicated to making sure there is a new CoD game every year - I'm sure you've heard stories of how those developers are being ground to the bone so they can meet deadlines. Why the fuck would you want BI to be a videogame sweatshop?

OK, but in fairness to the OP, this was always the central gripe - that the huge $60m windfall BI received was not reciprocated through investment in development. There were a series of developing 'explanations' for this, not least that those who dared raised such a gripe 'just didn't understand the development process', etc, etc. I was not alone in not finding those explanations slightly underwhelming.

The thing is, if/when the game works as intended, it will be (for me) probably the best game ever made. The best mixture of subtle incentives and freedoms around - shorn of the crippling complexity that has tended to affect other games I've invested heavily in - like Eve Online. And the developing tragedy might well be that BI could, should be due an even more massive windfall if 1.0 is released. But by then, the Alpha's reputation may have overwhelmed that potential. I hope it won't be so.

9 hours ago, Nathaniel912 said:

BeefBacon answered you pretty well. I also wanted to add. You do know for the COD franchise there are multiple developers. The two most prominent development studios is Infinity Ward and Treyarch. As for Battlefield there are also multiple developers. Most prominent EA Dice and Visceral Games. Since they have multiple development studios they can work on two games at once. That is why you see a new COD or Battlefield game so often. As opposed to Dayz or Fallout 4, Bohemia Interactive and Bethesda Game Studios respectively. They are one development studio so they can only work on one game at a time. Btw the COD and Battlefield still takes many years to develop. It just seems the development is fast due to 2 development studios. Before you spout nonsense please do you do diligence and research before you speak. Thank you.  

6 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

I... what?

As for Fallout - please do regale me with stories of major content updates that Fallout regularly got over its lengthy development cycle. Fallout is not the pinnacle of gaming - it can be compared to many games quite easily. Skyrim, for example. Basically any Bethesda RPG.

If DayZ had just been released in 2017, or whenever, without early access then nobody would complain that it took so long to develop. They wouldn't complain because they wouldn't be privy to the game's development. Let's say Fallout 4 had announced it's release to early access back in, I don't know, 2009. Do you think that every week there'd be a game-changing new feature? Do you think there'd be a major new feature every year? Developing a game is one thing, but making sure the game is always in a playable state so random people can test it is another. That's why you hear about the devs doing internal testing and seeing that there are 'blockers' preventing them from releasing it to the public. Most of the time you don't have to worry about that. If anything this is an indictment of the early access model - sometimes it's too early.

13 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

the huge $60m windfall BI received was not reciprocated through investment in development

Well, it was. The DayZ dev team used to be pretty small, and was originally going to pretty much just remake the mod as a standalone game - clean things up a bit, add a few improvements, things like that. When the standalone proved extremely popular, the dev team and the scope of the game was expanded, and they embarked on a more ambitious project. 

Yeah I'm hoping the alpha won't poison the well, as it were. I know a lot of people are whining saying they're giving up or whatever. I expect that when 1.0 eventually arrives they'll change their tune. I play a few hours of each patch, then wait for the next one. I don't get how people can plough thousands of hours into a game that isn't even finished yet.

• Like 1

Played DayZ, was amazed first, then saw the state of the game and the time it was in alpha, was disappointed.
Played ARK when it came out. Was amazed. Played it ~2000h in 4 months... never got boring.
Played DayZ again when 0.60 came out, was amazed, great graphics, hope returned, no update the last weeks, seems to be abandoned for the next 6 months again.
Skipped all my hopes. Will play DayZ from time to time just4fun, but for me its over, it will be finished in ~5 to ~10 years.
DayZ is the Duke Nukem of the survival scene.

Devs should roll out updates twice a week, like other dev studios do it too, would increase the re-play value of the game and keep people playing the game on a regular basis.

Tiny dev studio is no excuse with that insane amount of money collected plus the backup of bohemias sales from the arma series.
Hire more people, give the devs more rights to decide what to do, push updates twice a week and with that revive the community activity.

I once had at least 20 people in my friendlist playing dayz whenever i take a look at my friendlist. Today its never more than 3.
When i ask my friends to play dayz with me the answer is: no dayz sucks, too many glitchers/hackers/swimmers/cheaters/dupers/lags.

Its general consensus that alpha is for adding content and beta is for fixing bugs. We dont get any new (valuable) content and we dont get bugfixes.
All we get is updates that make people quit the game. 0.60 was a exception, but it was definately a kick in the balls to wait 6 months for that update.
Valuable content is complex game mechanics that increse the re-play value of the game, not a new jacket, 2 new weapons and the ability to dye armbands...

If i would be bohemia, i would either skip dayz, say sorry to the players and make the game code open source, or skip the whole shitty, not working, bad netcode engine and redo the game with an engine well established in the gaming world (Unreal/Unity) and focus on content creation, because as we all have seen in the last 3 years: bohemia is not the best studio at creating game engines.

Also, if the team is too small and the greedy company doesnt want to hire more people to do what has to be done, then focussing on game content while only having to do slight tweaks on the technical engine side is best.

I know nothing i recommended here will ever happen, nor will dayz be finished in the next 5 years.

Edited by skydotnet

Next time someone posts a 'State of the Game' thread - and I fully expect some rando with less than a hundred hours to repost such a thread inside of a month - I vote we all insist that the game shits golden unicorns and cures cancer, erectile dysfunction, and HIV all at once. At this point, I've seen them so often that I just want to fuck with these threads. =)

Edited by Funkmaster Rick

On 8/15/2016 at 8:10 PM, Kronons said:

EA Dice and Visceral Games

Yeah and DICE LA too. AND it took that studio two years and what basically amounts to the creation of an experimental branch to fix the hastily slapped together mess that was BF4 at launch (sorry Stockholm, we know you tried and were under extreme pressure to get started on that Star Wars abortion).

OP - I say, let them take 5 more years if need be. Let them do it right and STFU. People who bitch and moan are the reason we get yearly installments of garbage. I probably deserve a time out for that comment but I'm not changing it.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

What a mistake I've made by reading this thread. Sooooo much stupid, it really hurt my brain. I don't even want to waste my time correcting the dumb. So just take BeefBacons word for it, as he was nice enough to teach the dumb, then take the dumb elsewhere.