SMoss

Status Report - 15 Jan 2016

I guess we fundamentally disagree on what is and is not significant. To me, cramming all of the zombies on the map into the areas where players actually are is a massive change. We are talking about going from 15:1, 10:1 zombie to player ratios to potentially 50:1, 100:1 ratios, perhaps more depending on the server population. This should dramatically affect the moment to moment gameplay and make the entire system so much less predictable. 

Honestly, if this were fixed to these levels, I wouldn't have a complaint or care in the world for anything further out of this game. . It would alleviate so much of the frustration I have of the monotonousness of it all. Other things would be welcomed - Even more guns or clothes - But Zombies first. Then atmospheric things and survival flavors.  

Not trying to be facetious but isn't sniping pretty much all about KoS?

Also, while I echo the fortifying of existing structures opinions, I also think it is very important to be able to build camps outside of population centres or in unique locations. I would imagine I will be one of those who will spend many hours in the forests chopping trees and scrounging for raw materials so I'd like it to be in DayZ too. Sometimes I want to sit on full pop servers and never meet a single soul! :P

Clarification on that, so as not to sound like a hypocrite...

I really enjoy just stalking players around the coast and Electro/Cherno to see what they are up to. The longer I can track them without them seeing me the more interesting it gets. When you follow someone long enough you will eventually get to see either a KOS, Bandit, or genuinely "nice" survivor. If they pop someone with no warning or reason then I feel totally cool about introducing them to the respawn screen. I guess I don't take advantage of the PVE elements but I got pretty jaded over the last two years doing just that. Call me a "coastie" if you want, but I am having a great experience doing it.

As far as base building goes, I really hope it does not turn into a raid-fest...but from what I see in Rust, Reign, and Ark....it might just give the A-holes another way to grief other players. If you play on full pop servers (good game, BTW) then I suspect you will get visits from teams of raiders quite regularly...and if THAT is the case I suppose there might be work for me "up north" helping you hermits out!

Guys just remember the rocket launchers will be rare and so will there ammo, probably take the primary gun slot, and also ,when item weight affects speed and stamina ,severely slow you down forcing you to have to use a vehicle if you want to get any where fast

I can think of one definite good use for the RPG - Possible base raiding tool to knock down heavy defenses.

I second the notion that the "Vicinity Window" should really be killed off, as it only helps those that don't want to take the time to explore their surroundings.

But not while loot is burried in floors and under buildings.

• Like 2

Not trying to be facetious but isn't sniping pretty much all about KoS?

Also, while I echo the fortifying of existing structures opinions, I also think it is very important to be able to build camps outside of population centres or in unique locations. I would imagine I will be one of those who will spend many hours in the forests chopping trees and scrounging for raw materials so I'd like it to be in DayZ too. Sometimes I want to sit on full pop servers and never meet a single soul! :P

I think I said more remote locations in the forest like cabins and such, if the whole public hive thing was gone and characters are server specific all of this would work quite well compared to now. Someone could just ghost into your base of operations, and btw being a Sniper does not mean you are obligated to shoot the target. I've watched plenty of people through a scope and never fired at them, mostly because I'm not in it for murder. I was drawn in with the description on the front page. And the moment I got in I just started getting executed by people while I was still a bambi just for saying "Hi I'm new to DayZ".

"authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can. Players can live through powerful events and emotions arising from the ever-evolving emergent gameplay."

Sadly the Players are 1,000x harsher then the environment at the moment so your pretty much a mouse to a bunch of mean ass cats if you just stroll up and say hi... I still have screens from my first encounter, they tried getting me to put my hands up and I flipped them off, the whole thing lasted a few minutes and it was pretty tense for me. They almost let me go but "Jester" was a loose cannon and shot me in the back of the head when they gave me supplies and sent me on my way.  <_<  

It's pretty fun to just stalk someone sometimes and observe what kind of player they are and how they treat others, it feels better to shoot someone that you know deserves it THEN take all there sweet gear that is still intact because of that boss headshot... then to just cap someone and find a note on him telling you he was a nice guy and your an asshole. And it's great practice following just one person and not getting detected.  Without that experience I could not follow a group that splinters and watches all directions nearly as well. It's still a huge struggle to stalk well with everyone being so addicted to third person, and so many servers you get tired of running around seeing no players or Zombies for hours and just start bolting through everything.

Dammit it's only been 3 DayZ... I want to play 0.60, I hope its not the end of February...  :P

• Like 2

Here's a thought!

Maybe the reason this last SR was so unfulfilling is because Brian is going to follow through on his suggestion about doing video Status Reports?!

Remember that? I was looking forward to this format, and I would imagine the team will want some significant content teasers to display to us before he rolls out the vid.

Dare to dream, Coastie...Dare to dream. 

Record a good 30-45 minutes of gameplay on the next build and talk about all the added features and also show some of the known bugs with it

That would pretty much shut me the hell up, as I would know everything to try, and I would not be pissed about finding bugs or functionality issues.

Then...release that build and make room for 3.4 millions cans of Beans!

Edited by philbur

Umm the Status Report was great I don't really care about it being a video, that is just unnecessary work in my opinion. It could take quite awhile to put together a video of professional standards Vs the nice text format they use now. But to each his own I guess, btw I played a little bit the other day and I gotta say footsteps are just to damn loud. I was in a house crouched and walking around on the second floor, this guy is running down the road and stops at the car outside. I just take a few crouched steps back from the window and bam, he heard me, came right inside with his sledge hammer swinging.  <_<

Why is there no walk key like say Counter Strike that reduces your noise? And why does sound travel so clearly from inside a house in all directions... You can probably stand at the base of an apartment building and hear someone on the third floor...

You can walk slowly with almost no footstep Sound. Just check your control Settings and try it out....

Edited by Brummelpuh

I'm less concerned with a likely rare rocket launcher, that may take your backpack slot for all we know and can easily just be turned off when modding arrives, as I am with the lack of discussion about proper admin tools.

Currently attempting to police servers with the tools we have is an exercise in futility.

This might be a good time for people to take a break from playing the Alpha or even belaboring too many points of the current state of development, if you want to retain a modicum of sanity that is....

DayZ is a long haul project, and yeah it's my favorite (albeit glorious) PC time suck, but for me that means taking breaks during lulls in patch releases or when the game frustrates me too much.

Everything has been a placeholder for a placeholder up until now and I'm DYING to see some new modules most of all.

jpI7lzV.jpg

/run lurk mode

:ph34r:

• Like 2

Congrats to S3V3N. Your "Camp Friendly" made the header image! :)

http://i.imgur.com/pYIiUCe.jpg

Yeah I noticed that too. Quite surprised, but happily so. It should be noted though that this kind of setup is not the norm. If you build something like that on anything but the experimental or roleplay servers you are just making yourself a bigger target ;)

What I like about the status report is that things like the "post processes" involve a great deal of visual enhancements, starting with better particle effects . including weather conditions like fog, smoke and storms/lighting down to a better-looking ambient occlusion and smaller improvements to the visibilty of fire and muzzleflash effects.

I also like the "parallelization", which will make better use of the interplay between the different CPU cores and the GFX-cards, increasing the speed. When that is all working and the costs of those game economies are reduced, the devs can introduce (or re-introduce) systems like the horde-AI, which have been presented as WIP-concepts in the past. We've seen these new features tested and working in developer videos, but there is no point introducing them when the engine has trouble dealing with what is already in the game now. 

So these seemingly small additions will make a great deal of difference and I'm sure we are going to see more about the features you guys have inquired about, shortly after the 0.60 update. It may seem like this isn't a big update, featurewise, but it is a very important one. So I'm willing to wait and hope for the best, and I think we will be in for some surprises. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3