Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Getting Black Colors Black

Apparently black is a hard color to achieve for one reason or another. Black leather gear is like brownish reddish and some other clothes that are black don't really look black. Anybody know why this is (very curious here) and will the new engine give us the real shade of black?

Apparently black is a hard color to achieve for one reason or another. Black leather gear is like brownish reddish and some other clothes that are black don't really look black. Anybody know why this is (very curious here) and will the new engine give us the real shade of black?

My character is wearing mainly all black gear and it still looks black to me. Ill take another closer look at the color just to make sure.

Edited by Deathlove

well, since there are real black colors in the game which appear in real black,

i think the devs just need to adjust the leather coloring mechanic

Which items in specific are you referring to? I've never really found anything to lacking in the black department, although I've been stuck with an awful laptop and unable to play DayZ for quite some time now...

The black raincoat looks brown and the dyed black leather crafted clothing looks like various shades of brown.

• Like 1

Which items in specific are you referring to? I've never really found anything to lacking in the black department, although I've been stuck with an awful laptop and unable to play DayZ for quite some time now...

Black raincoat (last time I saw one...which was a while back) looks like a poopy brown. Black leather vest is a chocolate brown, leather sack is the same.

nnziOHj.jpg

The only real black item i the ^ pic is the hat. The shirt and pants are like a burnt umber type color.

• Like 2

Black raincoat (last time I saw one...which was a while back) looks like a poopy brown. Black leather vest is a chocolate brown, leather sack is the same.

nnziOHj.jpg

The only real black item i the ^ pic is the hat. The shirt and pants are like a burnt umber type color.

It looks good on your character though. But i see the point your trying to make.

• Like 1

Black is a hard colour to achieve in real life!

It would be impossible to to dye leather a consistent shade of black using the primitive methods in the game, Inconsistent colouring across different items of clothing is realistic and more interesting aesthetically in my opinion. 

• Like 1

It would be impossible to to dye leather a consistent shade of black using the primitive methods in the game, Inconsistent colouring across different items of clothing is realistic and more interesting aesthetically in my opinion. 

Then whatever it is, it shouldn't be called black!

Call it brown. I see the words black, I expect to see black. There are a ton of things in-game that aren't realistic. Realistically, dried blood isn't red like it is in-game, its black.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

I could perhaps give in to this line of thinking provided they at least make the manufactured black raincoat a solid black.

• Like 1

Pretty much.

Using 'natural" forms of dye, actual black is almost impossible to achieve. The darkest you get is either a deep, dark blue or a dark brown.

The devs probably called it "black" because "tan", "brown" and "darker brown" would be confusing as hell.

I would agree about black being hard to achieve, and all the wording in DayZ is place holder too. It has also never been a strong suit of BI. Hope they get it right before release.

Also, procedural coloring is still in the works and happening last I heard. All the colors of the game should look much better.

Edited by Coheed_IV

I have checked tons of locations and since .48 i find black the most hardest items to find.

Black cargo pants, black jackets, black vests, black shirts. Gloves,

I think much more has to be added. Since police do use black from time to time. Also civilians use black clothing all the time.

Black outfits like this. Jumpsuits which ever.

AVENGERShawkeye.jpg

Gloves, Eye wear over helms, Scarves or Balaclava, Side gun holster, Back gun holster for Shotguns.

Knee Wear

MM+Black.jpg

Civilian Clothing

Shirts, Pants, Boots, and Shoes, jackets bomber style, belts, gloves, winter wear, etc...

I heard possible dye, painting may come into the game? So dye's would be great or some ability to paint it. But if we paint it or dye i hope they go flat black color and not matte black finish.

Edited by TheSneakyDude
  • Like 1

Man, does the black raincoat look horrid in the color department. xD

I think technically the black color on the leather clothes is only an overlay texture, much like the damage states we see on clothes and weapons. Other than in real life, the stuff doesn't actually break or wear down, but gets another detail layer projected on top. I think at the moment, they are just using a color grade effect on top of the original texture for leather stuff, so the brown can only turn darker within its own color range. Black is essentially the lack of saturation and maximum opacity. That can't be achieved when you just overlay textures. On the long run, they will probably have to make separate textures for the model, because obviously it isn't working like now. When you dye your bag, another texture will be loaded for it. It's not much work at all, but I guess they are using the overlay textures for all their other stuff an were hoping it would work for the bags, too. If they made the overlay 100% opaque, we would only see a black surface, void of detail. So at the moment it's balancing to get it right, but obviously their best balance still looks brown.

If you want black leather, you best wait for the leather pants. I know I'll be wearing those a lot, since I love black clothes and there is too much green and camo in DayZ. I could have done without the pink and with some more black, instead. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

You guys are really making me doubt my eyes ... I have a black raincoat and always thought my outfit to be pure black ... I need to get on soon and see what the Hell is going on lol ...

You guys are really making me doubt my eyes ... I have a black raincoat and always thought my outfit to be pure black ... I need to get on soon and see what the Hell is going on lol ...

I'm colorblind (not black, and white colorblind), and it doesn't look black to me. xD

• Like 1

I tried to even gather enough black in the game, and there simply isn't enough items to go all out black. Especially the post i did earlier.

I like black outfits, not always green or those ugly rain coats, etc..

There also isn't enough slots in the black to wear all black. I want a black backpack too like the hunters backpack, mountain backpack.

At this point i don't care if its a true black or a grey. I just would like a fully decked out black kit.

One way or another ill get mods for it i hope.

Cargo pants, tactical shirt and M65 are fully black.

OP has a point, I also struggle with it and I love black and It's advantage at night.

Edited by Yazar8

Cargo pants, tactical shirt and M65 are fully black.

OP has a point, I also struggle with it and I love black and It's advantage at night.

m65 is getting too wet to easy, found a green one put it on and within minutes started to get cold. It lightly rained out. Dried off and it went wet again.

I dont think the m65 is quite ready yet.