GEAR:

Summer Hunting Jacket

Summer Hunting Pants

Beige/Green/Brown/Black footwear

DPM Assault Vest

Headwear: DPM Bonnie Hat OR Ghillie Head AND Beige Balaclava

and sunglasses for badass factor :P

What loadouts do you guys use?

I'm not good with colours, so what blends in best in woodland?

Whats the best sniping gear for different situations?

Anything I should improve on my loadout?

Thanks!

Edited by maximumak777

I love the Blaze :) I also like ghillie suits in the right situation even if they are buggy in DayZ. The camo on the summer hunting jacket is really nice / complex, but i would worry about becoming too wet in the rain (or are they waterproof now?). Getting wet in a static sniping position can get you cold really fast, bringing shakes that will mess up your aim. I like the autumn gorka jackets for waterproofing, though if i was ghillied i might go with a tactical shirt and just use the rain to keep cool ;) And lose the shades maybe, they show up further than you think in a treeline especially aviators.

Personally I prefer darker green colors, but that is mostly important on where you set up camp.

Never get gorka. Green or Black raincoats are much, much harder to spot in the woods as all gorka variants are very light-colored.

If it's not raining, I still think TTSKO is best when it comes to non-waterproof clothing. Summer hunter top/bottom work fine though.

Ghillie is of course the prize that everyone wants, but from my experience, you want to be closer, not further away from the enemy when you have a ghillie, as its effectiveness isn't nearly as good from 200+ meters. That, and coupled with the absence of backpacks, makes ghillies more suitable for versatile ARs instead of sniper+smg combos, but to each its own.

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 1

I'm currently running around with a SKS + PU and an AK-74 + whatever the 2.8x fixed scope is.

I haven't been able to find anyone to shoot at, though, even on 50-person servers...

I'm also wearing a green Gorka + ttsko autmn pants, black wellies, and the Russian ballistic helmet. I have a blue Press vest on as well, though I might swap it out for something else if there's another protective vest that isn't blue.

EDIT: Never mind, someone glitched into one of the docks at Cherno and shot me through it. Back to the green shirt and pants...

Edited by PieceOfDust

I use full ghillie 

m65 jacket , with worn green raincoat as back up 

smersh vest

green face mask 

USMC pants 

2x PET inside 1 cooking pot for water 

protector case in pants, with essential medicals inside 

blaze 95 with hunter scope 

Wire for snares 

rope for back pack or fishing 

gas stove for making heat packs and cooking food

Green wallies ,

Everything else is crafted on a as needed bases 

When I camp a area, I can stay parked for hours , 

For a sniper 

Movement can equal death 

and Less is usually more 

Dont take a ghillie. You'll die from dehydration.

Edited by StanleyWasHappy
  • Like 1

Ugh.

I hate all this sniper talk.

"Oooh, look at me! I'm a

<3 SNIPER <3

What does sniping bring to this game? What positive aspect to the survival experience does sniping bring?

None. Zero. Sniping (and I hate that word...just typing it makes me cringe) is nothing more than a way for people to kill other players at long distance to fulfill some sort of sniper fantasy they have in their heads that other games, for some reason, just don't satisfy. 

There is no survival purpose in sniping other players at 500 meters. There is no reason to snipe other players at long distances other than to get personal jollies that you hit somebody who had no idea you were sitting there. THere doesn't need to be more of an emphasis on sniping or long range combat. There is no interaction in it, there is no survival quality in it, there is no positive aspect or purpose in the "sniper fantasy". 

Hitting targets at long distances in video games is ridiculously easy as it is. The last thing that this game needs it to cater to the mentality of the "sniper fantasy", which is a KOS playstyle with no positive aspects.

• Like 7

The last thing that this game needs it to cater to the mentality of the "sniper fantasy", which is a KOS playstyle with no positive aspects.

I'm sorry , but you are completely wrong . 

YES the role of "sniper has LONG since been abused by KOS noobs 

But a good sniper in a group is vital . 

The role of a proper sniper in dayz covers many vital jobs.

Over watch ,

Spotter 

Back up ,

field medic 

just to name a few

In proper group play my role is to protect everyone else in the group while they loot an area. take out hostile players and occasionally zombies ( when we have them) 

Its not a job that just any noob with a hunting scope can perform 

A good squad will consist of atleast a Sniper for over watch , someone thats good at CQB for in town protection , and a looter, someone with maxed storage cap to haul the loot . and when we have zeds , a herder , to collect zed aggro off the looter and CQB guy, typically they are using small cal silent weapons or melee to dispatch the hords 

If your just a solo player , or your group all runs together from house to house looting blindly since day one , You can not get angry or dislike more organized thought out groups and play styles . 

• Like 5

hating on SG and snipers, ok we get it. 

It's someone playing their way, i know.  Horriffic isn't it? 

Someone discussing something on an online forum.

Quick, drown them with mirth and rainbows!

I can picture you, mockingly dancing around saying your post out loud in a camp voice.  If you behaved like this outside no body would take you seriously.  That's not even considering the illegitimacy of your post...

@ OP: kit is usually quite variable to the conditions, as with any weapon.  Personally I do prefer the mosin, although the SKS is a great mid-range weapon, which I would recommend over the mosin in general as the ammo is more abundant and it's a more versatile weapon.

As for kit: as above, go dark.  Light ususally contrasts easier on most terrane.  Get a backpack that is both of similar colour to your surroundings and not a mountain if you enjoy looking over your shoulder (although i have found that orange backpacks / mountains are difficult for people to identify somehow).

Hat and body should be selected on the intent of blend and conceal.  I try to mask face as much as possible while keeping the colour in line with the surroundings.

Good luck, and let the salty bodies hit the floor.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Dont take a ghillie. You'll die from dehydration.

Not true ,

while they are very hot (too hot actually)

you have to learn how to regulate your body temp through choosing the right clothing options for the weather on your particular server  

Not true ,

you have to learn how to regulate your body temp through choosing the right clothing options for the weather on your particular server

Not true ,

I play on full servers. I have been rolling with the same ghillie for a week. Had to spend atleast 3 minutes in a pond every 25 minutes.

If ghillie won't fit any server, there's no point.

I play on full servers. I have been rolling with the same ghillie for a week. Had to spend atleast 3 minutes in a pond every 25 minutes.

If ghillie won't fit any server, there's no point.

what clothing do you have on under it ? 

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Clothing

Check the Insulation stats on the clothes you have on. 

Edited by J0nathan

The gear i go with when i snipe would be the mosin (good damage and i enjoy the style) and mp5k since the ump takes some time to acquire (and I get strokes of bad luck when i have it.) with green gorka for clothing and a ballistic helmet. olive face mask or the gas mask on my face and I find it comforting to keep a handgun on me such as the cr75 or magnum. I'm more of a mid range sniper i suppose. Adds to the excitement and doesn't feel so KOS-y. I tend to do a lot of observation and keep still. A lot of people tend to not notice you if your position is good enough and you don't move too much. I try to snipe out the KOSers or anyone I find to be too sketchy such as groups. I tend to snipe in my position, switch to my mp5k and go somewhere else.

Made some friends on dayz recently so i'll soon try my hand at overwatch and hopefully not muck it up too much.

• Like 1

Ugh.

"Oooh, look at me! I'm a

<3 SNIPER <3

What does sniping bring to this game? What positive aspect to the survival experience does sniping bring?

None. Zero. Sniping (and I hate that word...just typing it makes me cringe) is nothing more than a way for people to kill other players at long distance to fulfill some sort of sniper fantasy they have in their heads that other games, for some reason, just don't satisfy. 

There is no survival purpose in sniping other players at 500 meters. There is no reason to snipe other players at long distances other than to get personal jollies that you hit somebody who had no idea you were sitting there. THere doesn't need to be more of an emphasis on sniping or long range combat. There is no interaction in it, there is no survival quality in it, there is no positive aspect or purpose in the "sniper fantasy". 

Hitting targets at long distances in video games is ridiculously easy as it is. The last thing that this game needs it to cater to the mentality of the "sniper fantasy", which is a KOS playstyle with no positive aspects.

What a sad little post.

There is no survival purpose in sniping other players at 500 meters? Really?  Which one of these scenarios will result in a personal higher survival chance.  Shooting someone from 100m or shooting someone from 800m?

Edited by Beav
  • Like 1

What a sad little post.

There is no survival purpose in sniping other players at 500 meters? Really?  Which one of these scenarios will result in a personal higher survival chance.  Shooting someone from 100m or shooting someone from 800m?

What range does 90% of DayZ combat take place in? 800m or 100m? Hint: where does 99% of actual combat take place in? 

Inside or around buildings, in cities or in the airfield. That is, after all, where the loot is. I would rather be able to reliably make a shot at 100 meters or less, than be able to make a shot at 500m +. I am just straight-up more useful to my clan when I can mix it up at close range. When my clan gets "into things", our "overwatch" makes a couple of shots, and then lies there for the rest of the play-session. Yeah, they spot out moving players, but that isn't something you need to make a shot for. Some bambi with a pair of binocs can do the exact same thing, and be just as effective.

IMO, "snipers" (/snort) in DayZ tend to have an overwhelmingly inflated opinion of themselves. 99% of my deaths in Day Z have been due to players within 100m. In fact, I don't think I've ever gotten "sniped" from more than 300 meters away. The "nests" are well known, as are the cover available with regards to them. Chances are, if you got snot by a "sniper", you were doing something extraordinarily stupid, like standing still, standing on top of a landmark, or some combination of the two.

While long-range combatants have -some- uses, they are far from necessary. Give me 5 mediocre players with shotguns (at least, before this patch) and assault rifles over 1 player with a scoped winchester, any day of the week. I will get much more use out of them.

If I had to take a "sniper" rifle/player, give me a Mosin with a PU scope. The scope allows you to make shots out to a decent distance, and the round is nice and fat.

• Like 2

Never get gorka. Green or Black raincoats are much, much harder to spot in the woods as all gorka variants are very light-colored.

Try using Damaged PautRev Gorka. I lose track of my good buddy Eno when he wears that stuff even when I know exactly where he is.

Weapons:

Primary: Sporter 22 or Winchester M70 with hunting scope

Secondary: CR75 with silencer

Melee: Nothing equipped but rather an hatchet in inventory

Gear:

Gorka E Military helmet & Gasmask (they fit really well together!)

Olive M65 Field Jacket or Hunting Jacket Olive

Black Working Gloves

Smersh Vest with Backpack

Hunter Pants (Spring)

Military Boots (Black) with Hunting Knife

I don't sniper as my pvp skills are a wash, however I do enjoy running around in ruined camo clothing as its blending is totes amaze.

Ugh.

"Oooh, look at me! I'm a

<3 SNIPER <3

The OP was just trying to discuss sniping gear, whatever your butt-hurt is about snipers in general this isn't really the place. I'd add that in real life things would be completely the reverse to how you describe and sniping would be the OPTIMUM way to engage someone you didn't like the look of. It sounds like you get killed (a lot) by snipers and are angry about it.. Maybe just adjust your strategy instead of hijacking forum threads to complain about it?

I partially agree with Rags, meaning KoS snipers are just lame and having a big number of them is bad for the game.

However, to counter-snipers, that is snipers who hunt & kill KoS snipers, I have nothing else to say but thanks and you can have my beans.  :beans: 

Other kind I like are the ones who shoot zombies and occasionally players who are harassing fresh spawns. And as people here already pointed out there's nothing wrong protecting your team as a sniper.

• Like 1

Ugh.

"Oooh, look at me! I'm a

<3 SNIPER <3

Of what relevance is this to the OP?

Besides the fact that half of it is flat-out wrong, yeah, I think most of us don't like (seemingly) being shot "at random" from a distance, but it happens, and more often than not it's not random at all. OP asked a harmless question about what people like to use for long-ranged combat, because there is no "emphasis on sniping or long range combat" being promoted here, unless you mean to say that even discussing it at all is somehow bad.

• Like 1

Ugh.

"Oooh, look at me! I'm a

<3 SNIPER <3

Show us on the doll where the BAD sniper touched you.

• Like 4

Ugh.

"Oooh, look at me! I'm a

<3 SNIPER <3

First off, fixed your post, formatting your text like you're a tween posting on her blog doesn't make your opinion fact.

Secondly, could you not be butthurt for like five seconds?

Third, show me on the doll where teh ebil sniper meanies touched you.

As for the OP, when I played I generally had:

Mosin with LRS (yeah, its been a while)

CR75 as a sidearm (I'm a sucker for CZ75s, so I actually knocked my friend out and stole this from him when he picked it up)

Ruined Kitchen knife because muh bloody knife

Flecktarn Boonie

Aviator's (Everyone loves aviators)

Drab Vest

Green Raincoat/TTSKO Jacket

Brown Hunter Pants

Wellies

Hunting Backpack (low profile, nice color, can look over shoulder in first person)

Some tips,

use the freelook function to move look around rather than moving your whole body, its alot harder to spot you this way.

if you think you're in concealment, from 100m or so you're actually not. You are not being sneaky crouching in that bush.

Get a friend and a rangefinder, sniping with DayZ scopes is horrible since you don't have any good scope markings to reference for range.

Alternatively, carry a rangefinder and mark the distances to various landmarks from your hide and do some guesstimation on the fly based on relative position from these landmarks.

Taking a bunch of shots from one spot is a no-no, take some shots, reposition. If you spend an hour plinking away from the same spot, someones going to come and relieve you of your rifle. Scope some good spots out, then rotate, do your best to not be seen while moving.

Good spots usually have some form of hard cover on hand in case you start taking fire, rocks, trees, and buildings are all great but be aware that once people know there is a sniper they'll usually look at some of the more obvious places for you.

I'm not sure if its been fixed, but the ranging marks on ACOGs and PSOs didn't work when I played because the magnification was fucked on those rifles.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

• Like 3

Of what relevance is this to the OP?

Besides the fact that half of it is flat-out wrong, yeah, I think most of us don't like (seemingly) being shot "at random" from a distance, but it happens, and more often than not it's not random at all. OP asked a harmless question about what people like to use for long-ranged combat, because there is no "emphasis on sniping or long range combat" being promoted here, unless you mean to say that even discussing it at all is somehow bad.

Rags is just another of those whiny individuals who try to enforce their playstyle onto other players.

As we all know, this is a sandbox game.  People like to play the game in completely different ways to other people.

The devs dont put hunting scopes or SVDs in the game so you can collect them in your tent and admire how shiny they look, its to enable whatever type of gameplay you enjoy.

You want to snipe freshspawns from 500m?  Rock your socks off

You want to scope out cities from distance and countersnipe or take down people slaughtering freshsawns (my personal playstyle)? Go for it

You want to run around town with a shotgun killing bandits? Have fun

You want to live in the wilderness and have no contact whatsoever?  Great

I really get pissed off with assholes trying to force their own definition of gameplay onto others in a friggin sandbox environment.

field medic 

yes, sniper in a group is very usefull if you are watching over a town where your buddies run around, but field medic?

having the guy sitting the furthest away have the medical equipment? bad idea imo

many people think being a "lonewofl sniper" is the ultimate pinnacle of coolness, however they don't realize that without people pinning down your targets

(like for example a buddy holding someone down in cover while you try to get LOS on him) sniping in dayz is nearly impossible and impractical, from 0-200 meters

almost every weapon is going to give you better survivability than a mosin or winchester or blaze, the exception maybe being the blaze

the ultimate weapon for me is any AK variant with a pso scope, and i killed a lot of mosin and winchester guys with it at medium and even long range, just let them solo snipers be solo snipers

most of the suck at it big time anyway ;)

Edited by Zombo