Sign in to follow this  
Zurvivalist

Fundamental Flaws in Current systems

So I've started to notice that more and more of the most populated servers are trying to enforce some versions of the No KoS rules. 
The current servers I play on , One is strictly PvE no killing at all allowed. And the other is a lite RP server with rules like No KoS or Sniping ( i guess they monitor what guns people use in the logs when a kill is made ) 

So I find my self trying to comply to these rules,But with growing difficulty.
Originally my interpretation of KoS (killing on site) Was very basic, It simply refereed to those guys who shot any and everyone they saw on the spot. Purely killing for the sake of killing. Now it seems to have evolved in to any combat situation where you get the first shot off. 

For example , last night I was playing on a no KoS server I frequent. And had some squeaker try to kill me with a MP5 , I was unarmed in the sense of not having  a gun myself. I was able to simply run around him until he foolishly ran out of ammo. What then followed was a rather amusing 10 minutes of him crying for help as I chased him through Electro eventually beating him to death with my fists in front of his friends .

Point of the story is , that just by viewing the log files , I would now be guilty of KoSing that kid , since he did not manage to shoot me first. Or hit me at all for that matter. 

These types of situations are now completely unavoidable . Their will always be those guys who attack with out provocation. And worse , the ones that will try to provoke , just so they can justify shooting back. 

I can not figure out a way , in the current build of the game, to "legally" counter act these situations. 

I refuse to willing allow someone to land the first hit , just for the sake of log files, and more often than not, that first hit can win the fight ,. 

I tried investing in None lethals. But handcuff animations take way too long, and Stun batons are unreliable at best.. Some times they 1hKO , some times they dont. And your probably not going to get a 2nd hit with that slow ass stick. 
Sometimes my fist knocks them out , sometimes it 1 hit kills them... Nothing is really dependable when it comes to none lethal game play. 

There is no such thing as a PvE server, no KoS server etc etc...these servers should be reported.

From my understanding , private hive servers are allowed to set these types of rules 

• Like 1

From my understanding , private hive servers are allowed to set these types of rules 

I thought private hives were allowed to set their own rules as well. In fact, I thought this was the whole point of the private shard.

Maybe the devs can add a basic RP server mode. I don't think it would take that much time and would reduce a lot of the confusion.

RP rules could be as follows:

• Players could intentionally enable "PvP" status and they wouldn't get the KoS status when killing other PvPers.
  • Any player that attacks (and hits) another player that does not have PvP status is flagged as an Attacker.
  • If a player dies, all players that have shot them within the last 15 minutes are permanently flagged as "KoSer" until an admin removes this status.
  • KoSers can always be killed without the attacker getting the KoS status (to enable bounty hunting).
  • Stun weapons don't count so you could defend yourself against melee weapons or use them for banditry.

No UI should be necessary for this. If you don't want to be flagged as a KoSer don't shoot others with lethal weapons. Server owners could see KoS attacks in the change log or use BattleEye to auto-kick KoSers. If you accidentally shoot someone and have proof the server owner could remove your KoS status.

Edit: Maybe the possibility should exist to freeze player names on a server/shard basis. Meaning, when you create a character on that server you are stuck with that character name. That way, bounty systems could be made through the server forums or website.

Edited by scriptfactory
  • Like 1

that wasn't KOS he incited the fight so technically if he shot at you without interaction then he was the KOS'r and you just stopped him clean good for you. Most of the ones i have played on its pretty simple If you see a guy don't just shoot him you either need to get close and try and talk or avoid all together pretty simple. If they try and get you for KOS'n that fool i would find another server. ANd if they pull you into combat thats not KOS thats interaction leading to conflict thats legit too. Pretty much dude if you see the guy and he doesn't know your there and you kill him its KOS. IF he knows your there and your talkin shit or he's talkin shit and you get into a fight thats legit. hope that helps you should as well talk to the admins I'm sure they will help answer questions about there rules and if they don't again find another server.

I thought private hives were allowed to set their own rules as well. In fact, I thought this was the whole point of the private shard.

Maybe the devs can add a basic RP server mode. I don't think it would take that much time and would reduce a lot of the confusion.

RP rules could be as follows:

• Players could intentionally enable "PvP" status and they wouldn't get the KoS status when killing other PvPers.
  • Any player that attacks (and hits) another player that does not have PvP status is flagged as an Attacker.
  • If a player dies, all players that have shot them within the last 15 minutes are permanently flagged as "KoSer" until an admin removes this status.
  • KoSers can always be killed without the attacker getting the KoS status (to enable bounty hunting).
  • Stun weapons don't count so you could defend yourself against melee weapons or use them for banditry.

No UI should be necessary for this. If you don't want to be flagged as a KoSer don't shoot others with lethal weapons. Server owners could see KoS attacks in the change log or use BattleEye to auto-kick KoSers. If you accidentally shoot someone and have proof the server owner could remove your KoS status.

Edit: Maybe the possibility should exist to freeze player names on a server/shard basis. Meaning, when you create a character on that server you are stuck with that character name. That way, bounty systems could be made through the server forums or website.

That would be nice a PVP flag system man that would be great you could have the best of both worlds. IF the dev's don't do it let's hope a modder does in the future good idea beans sir.

So I've started to notice that more and more of the most populated servers are trying to enforce some versions of the No KoS rules. 

The current servers I play on , One is strictly PvE no killing at all allowed. And the other is a lite RP server with rules like No KoS or Sniping ( i guess they monitor what guns people use in the logs when a kill is made ) 

So I find my self trying to comply to these rules,But with growing difficulty.

Originally my interpretation of KoS (killing on site) Was very basic, It simply refereed to those guys who shot any and everyone they saw on the spot. Purely killing for the sake of killing. Now it seems to have evolved in to any combat situation where you get the first shot off. 

For example , last night I was playing on a no KoS server I frequent. And had some squeaker try to kill me with a MP5 , I was unarmed in the sense of not having  a gun myself. I was able to simply run around him until he foolishly ran out of ammo. What then followed was a rather amusing 10 minutes of him crying for help as I chased him through Electro eventually beating him to death with my fists in front of his friends .

Point of the story is , that just by viewing the log files , I would now be guilty of KoSing that kid , since he did not manage to shoot me first. Or hit me at all for that matter. 

These types of situations are now completely unavoidable . Their will always be those guys who attack with out provocation. And worse , the ones that will try to provoke , just so they can justify shooting back. 

I can not figure out a way , in the current build of the game, to "legally" counter act these situations. 

I refuse to willing allow someone to land the first hit , just for the sake of log files, and more often than not, that first hit can win the fight ,. 

I tried investing in None lethals. But handcuff animations take way too long, and Stun batons are unreliable at best.. Some times they 1hKO , some times they dont. And your probably not going to get a 2nd hit with that slow ass stick. 

Sometimes my fist knocks them out , sometimes it 1 hit kills them... Nothing is really dependable when it comes to none lethal game play. 

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/228209-less-lethal-options-wip-preview/

Pssst.

DayZ is a 3+ year old project in many ways.

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/179166-so-many-guns-less-than-lethal-suggestion/

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212272-non-lethal-ammo-for-shotguns/

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/167375-add-ltl-rounds/

This is 0.59 of the stand alone version.

Go read the road map, and status reports, please.

Like ALL of them. (and use the forum search function when you think it's new thread worthy)

Now slowly internalize that you are basically playing with the majority of the mechanics left over from DayZ mod and that ALL of the shortcomings you perceive now are almost certainly set to change or be tweaked.

Have a nice DayZ.

@op - i think this is a topic to be discussed with the respective server admins. The kind of server you discribe normally have a related ts and encourage players to join it. most uncertain situations can be cleared with a little chat, and if u gained the rep of a trustworthy player you shouldnt get serious problems. if u dont want that there are more than enough servers without those rules.

greets

As much as I hate people KoS:ing for no reason or answering your "Hello?" with gunfire I can't see the point in even playing a game with rules like "Absolutely no killing" or "No KoS". It simply takes away the excitement that makes this game what it is.

• Like 1

As much as I hate people KoS:ing for no reason or answering your "Hello?" with gunfire I can't see the point in even playing a game with rules like "Absolutely no killing" or "No KoS". It simply takes away the excitement that makes this game what it is.

A solid PvE server, gives you a place to fully test out things like crafting and survival content . 

A solid no KOS server encourages more Role Play and community mechanics

You know... the kinds of things that we should probably be focused on in a testing faze of development 

A solid PvE server, gives you a place to fully test out things like crafting and survival content . 

A solid no KOS server encourages more Role Play and community mechanics

You know... the kinds of things that we should probably be focused on in a testing faze of development 

You can test all those things on every server, don't believe the hype. If you are being KOS'd so much you cant test crafting or group play, it's down to your player skill not the server rules. Go somewhere quiet to test crafting..

• Like 1

You can test all those things on every server, don't believe the hype. If you are being KOS'd so much you cant test crafting or group play, it's down to your player skill not the server rules. Go somewhere quiet to test crafting..

When you want to test stuff, or do something aside from pvp , dealing with unwanted PvPers is just annoying and a time waist. Nothing to do with a players skill level. People get tired of having to watch out for pvp when say... trying to see how large of a camp they can make before it creates desync and lag. (ie: pre patched 0.58 ) Yes this can also be done on a normal pvp server. but why bother if you dont have to . 

Its fairly obvius that their is a significant sized player base that is not interested in pvp at all times. As made apparent by the population size of a lot of these types of servers. 

When you want to test stuff, or do something aside from pvp , dealing with unwanted PvPers is just annoying and a time waist. Nothing to do with a players skill level. People get tired of having to watch out for pvp when say... trying to see how large of a camp they can make before it creates desync and lag. (ie: pre patched 0.58 ) Yes this can also be done on a normal pvp server. but why bother if you dont have to . 

Its fairly obvius that their is a significant sized player base that is not interested in pvp at all times. As made apparent by the population size of a lot of these types of servers. 

I think what you are looking for is colloquially referred to as 'lowpop'. Don't worry, offline mode is coming along sometime in the future.

Also, google "homophones," they're there, and I can't not notice their making my reading experience less than optimal.  Sorry to "waist" your time with the grammar tips...