Sign in to follow this  
isthisgameplayable

RARE!

First of all sry for bad english.

There are only 2 problems I have with this game and I want to tell you about them:

1. Guns should be much more rare. For now DayZ is zombie apocalypse world where 80% of players run around with modern automatic and sniper rifles. Almost every player has military gear and looks like a soldier. What the hell is this? Cmon. Guns should be hard to find. By "hard" I mean HARD. Pistols should be common, all these wooden-ended rifles should be rare no matter if it's mosin or shotgun. High-tech military weapons like m4 should be pain in ass to find. Ammo for all weapons should be even more fu*king rare because for now you play for 3 hours and you are walking armory. People don't count bullets, they just spray.

This is not what you expect from survival game. My perfect vision of DayZ is where group of 5 friends walk together but only one of them has revolver and 9 bullets in pocket which he found 2 days ago in mlitary base. Second guy has a shotgun with no ammo, the rest use melee weapons. They all heading west hoping to finally find some camo pants or helmet. They're all scared because they heard some legend about m4 guy with full mag near NWAF

2. Grass draw distance. This should be atleast 3 time bigger because the actual state is just a joke. You go prone in tall grass and you think none can see you but the fact is the only person who see this tall grass is you - to player who's 300 meters away you are lying in the middle of field with no cover. I know when you make grass draw distance alot bigger computers will use alot more resources but we live in 2015 and people should understand that they can't play new games on 2007 PCs. I'm talking about final state [or near final - late BETA] cuz for now we all know FPS suck no matter what.

To me these are two game breaking points which MUST be fixed if DayZ wants to see me playing again :)

What you guys think?

Edited by isthisgameplayable
  • Like 5

For the first topic, I think military weapons do need to be a teeny bit more rare, but not much, it's more the military clothing/gear that's an issue imo. Civilian accessible weapons however shouldn't be that rare, just because of the fact how easy it would have been to acquire those guns before shit hit the fan. Ammunition however should not be common, because ammo can't be reused, once you fire off a shot, it's gone. Guns you can shoot over and over.

As for grass draw distance, hell if I have any input there.

The game already has issues regarding performance, increasing draw distance will make it even worse. It's an issue, but one that's unlikely to go away since we are all playing on different systems/graphics settings. This isn't exactly the first game that has had this issue and not the last.

Edited by grimsonfart

I agree, everyone runs around looking like a soldier; it's silly.  Don't worry, they just previewed another set of camo pants!

• Like 1

Remember that the game is still being developed....if a new asset is created it would be pretty silly if that asset is so rare that no one gets to use and test it.

Once everything is in game they can then start messing with the rarity of items etc.

Do you remember when the SA was first released?  There were M4s everywhere because they were testing the attachment system as the M4 was being used as a template....now M4s are only found in certain locations.

Just give it time.

As for draw distance, that is a feature common to most games - how much draw distance to allow before the game becomes unplayable?  I understand your concerns, hiding in bushes can be useless if another player has turned his settings down, but what can you do?  Not everyone has a decent system. 

Maybe in the future there will be unique servers that enforce certain settings on players?

• Like 2

Well I'm sure the problem with weapons spawn will be solved by developers or private server's admins sooner or later (yeah later, much later).

I'm not so sure about grass because I used to play DayZ mod and it was fuc*ed there (is it still?). It must be so annoying for hardcore 1PP players - imagine you are prone in the bush, you see shit because there is a grass in front of you but that sniper camping 300m away... well u know the rest.

I really hope they'll find solution for grass. These naked hills make me want to click F11.

I agree, everyone runs around looking like a soldier; it's silly.  Don't worry, they just previewed another set of camo pants!

thanks for making me smile. Good one! :D

• Like 1

Grass draw distance will kill certain PCs and will drop the FPS drastically on the rest of PCs which is the opposite the devteam is trying to do.

As for guns, people can find SVDs in supermarkets for all I care - the ammo needs to be rare.

Oh yeah, and the people looking like soldiers. That's logical, it should be. You will be trying to have the best camo you can find in a zombie apocalypse. To adapt to your environment and hide from players and zombies. Since this is a game and everyone can go to military bases - that's gonna happen.

Besides that, US helicopter crashes are a mobile clothing shop for soldiers anyway (Especially if you're looking for dem booties)

Edited by StanleyWasHappy

i hide from folks all the time i don't understand the problem, stealth isn't that bad. and as for all the other issues others explained it better.^

Oh yeah, and the people looking like soldiers. That's logical, it should be.

We can watch some "realistic" zombie apocalypse scenario in The Walking Dead show and none is wearing soldier camos there. They all look like normal civilians and it's cool.

You go prone in tall grass and you think none can see you but the fact is the only person who see this tall grass is you - to player who's 300 meters away you are lying in the middle of field with no cover.

You know that's not how it works. The ground texture will cover your body to simulate grass cover. So you might see someone laying prone, but if they are in grass only their heads or shoulders usually show. I haven't tested this recently with a friend, give it a try and see. This is all subject to change, we don't know. But, extending grass draw distance isn't a great option, it kills performance like crazy, no games really draw grass very far. It could probably be doubled, but I'm not sure it would be worth the trade off. Its a big reason Chernarus+ runs better than old Chernarus from A2, its crazy to look at how much more grass there was.

Edited by Coheed_IV

Grass draw distance will kill certain PCs and will drop the FPS drastically on the rest of PCs which is the opposite the devteam is trying to do.

Maybe not the draw distance, but something has to be done to equalize the experience of players.

Take the example of shadow distance where two strangers are in a wooded grove, but one of them has his shadows completely off, while the other has them set at 250.  The guy with the shadows turned off will have a humongous advantage in first detection, compared to the guy whose settings yield a camouflage advantage for everyone besides himself.

I will often catch myself running through the treeline, zig-zagging to stay in the shadows; then feel like an idiot because I remember that most people probably don't even use that shit to begin with.

When the SOP is to turn everything off, or to the lowest possible settings to improve performance and ease of player detection, the game itself should just set a graphical complexity benchmark for each server, and leave it at that; anything else is just tying one's own hands.

I think the grass and camo effect is just right but at the same time in a field the dress will also camo you..Its just the right pattern with your environment  &&&&&&& it also is a little faulty unless your under a tree at times///"Myshkino tents"  *cough*--*  we tested Gorka patterns a few times and with no backpack you can lay down in grass at 5 paces and almost completly disappear. snipers and ppl that use binos will always have an advantage -- guess i can say ive fought for both sides of this conversation--_-- its really a messy topic.. higher grass would be real cool but when a sniper is loking across a field and sum1 has crawled for 10 minutes to make it somewhere undetected..guess what""u detected...

Dayz is almost a run and gun shooter, it just requires looting to gear up and stay alive---giving the ability to grow crops in 15 so u dont have to carry so much food...Add in balanced diets as a stat and also given consequences for for not eating right then it will become more of a survival game along with taking away the massive guns/ammo  ---but then dayZ isn't what it was and ppl stop playing because the pvp is weak but thios is supposed to be a consumer game with the biggest game of tug O' war ive ever seen..

Also I do agree the guns are a bit too much when in all zombie apocalypse based scenarios/movies not everyone carries a gun, usually an axe , baseballbat> then you have 15 ppl charging the guy with a gun to make sure one of them get it...Possibly after the launch of modded servers  there will be PVE servers, servers with overe the top weapons and ammo, and some that give you wings...

-----Like I said  It's tug of war and I beat it stays the same..I like both pve and pvp but I like to have both not just one tieing me down but I was born into .57 where guns were free in everytown with a lumberyard, dock, or cinstruction area and rocked to sleep in .58 where the zombie scare is almost over, the guns are gone and persistence is a great thing......Somebody call GhostBusters

This guy's video is a good example of why something needs to happen

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/229302-spotted/

I think you can skip most of the beginning, about halfway through his friend is crawling up on the sniper.  For those two, they are in grass and hard to spot each other to an extent.  For him, 600m away, they're both completely exposed.  His trees are also turned down.  The result being that far hillside is extremely barren.  At the end he goes over there and you can see the difference.

• Like 1

We can watch some "realistic" zombie apocalypse scenario in The Walking Dead show and none is wearing soldier camos there. They all look like normal civilians and it's cool.

The clothes the characters wear is one of the most funniest and surreal parts in that show. Like Rick Grimes wearing the same dirty brown t-shirt for five seasons. They walk around a lot, and he changes it to a gray or white t-shirt every now and then, but he never seems to carry a backpack for clothes. You can spot similar oddities happening with other characters.

The way the characters wear helps viewers to identify them better, so The Walking Dead is very much a tv-show. While it's well made still it's just a fantasy. In Dayz there are a lot of various civilian clothes and gear, people have that choice but they tend to choose military gear. There are plausible real life reasons they would do so in a post-apocalyptic world, such as military gear probably endures difficult conditions better than H&M clothes and trendy teenager school backpacks.

I go outdoors a lot, I do hiking, so I have collected green/camo/black/brown colored clothes and equipment for it. To find military gear I don't have to go to the nearest military zone or helicrash site, I can just walk twenty meters from my laptop and take an M65 out from my closet. :D

Edited by Herkyl Puuro

I thought of a solution to the grass draw distance problem (in all open world FPS) but I'm not sure how feasible it would be on contemporary systems, and I am sure it would require significant extra resources - but still significantly less than drawing grass at all distances.

Basically when rendering a character at distance, the engine should take into account the depth and density of the grass/foliage where the character is located, then render the lower part of the character with transparency proportional too the density, to the height from the ground proportional to the depth. If a character is proned in long grass the transparency would cover the entire rendered character, if the density of the grass is maximum, then the transparency would likewise be maximum rendering the character invisible. If they were standing then the legs and perhaps lower torso would be invisible depending on the height of the grass.

Also, in order to blend with the closer range drawn grass the effect would have to be tapered off to zero somewhere around half the maximum grass draw distance.

It would involve significant extra computation and memory for the foliage density/height map, but much less rendering than increasing the grass draw distance.

Have not seen an effect like this in an FPS game, but I don't think for a minute that my idea is original, In Ubisofts Silent Hunter 4, in order to simulate the curve of the earth (without having the exponentially increased complexity of a 3D engine actually dealing with non-Euclidian geometry) when looking at ships 15-20k distance, the lower part of the ship is not rendered giving it the 'rising from behind the horizon' effect as it approaches.

Edited by Sammi79
  • Like 1

agree to both, but yes: alpha.

Also, ED (yes, that's eagle dynamics) has tree draw distance up to and probably past 8km and you can play with quite a lot of options.  It's a military / flight sim at it's core but the graphics are quite comparable to dayz imo, the background sim is probably a little less engaged than in dayz (with 64players + zombies / pathing + animals / pathing) compared to maybe 100 units total and physics only being modelled for maybe 50%, but i take games like this as a benchmark for saying that it's quite possible to have draw distance much farther than what we see here. 

But then there's the issue of the new renderer to come, optimisation which has probably only received a basic once over at this point given the high CPU dependency of the game, and a whole litany of issues to fix tweaks to be made and developments to come.

I don't think we should put DayZ up on a pedestal or start hyping things up in our own head, but given other games ability to use new and innovative software tricks to model more expansive and higher fidelity worlds, i also don't think we should brush issues off as impossible (but only in dayz will you find the 'graphics guys' discussing draw distance for grass sprites as a serios point of issue).

Gotta love DayZ.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

I thought of a solution to the grass draw distance problem (in all open world FPS) but I'm not sure how feasible it would be on contemporary systems, and I am sure it would require significant extra resources - but still significantly less than drawing grass at all distances.

Basically when rendering a character at distance, the engine should take into account the depth and density of the grass/foliage where the character is located, then render the lower part of the character with transparency proportional too the density, to the height from the ground proportional to the depth. If a character is proned in long grass the transparency would cover the entire rendered character, if the density of the grass is maximum, then the transparency would likewise be maximum rendering the character invisible. If they were standing then the legs and perhaps lower torso would be invisible depending on the height of the grass.

Also, in order to blend with the closer range drawn grass the effect would have to be tapered off to zero somewhere around half the maximum grass draw distance.

It would involve significant extra computation and memory for the foliage density/height map, but much less rendering than increasing the grass draw distance.

Have not seen an effect like this in an FPS game, but I don't think for a minute that my idea is original, In Ubisofts Silent Hunter 4, in order to simulate the curve of the earth (without having the exponentially increased complexity of a 3D engine actually dealing with non-Euclidian geometry) when looking at ships 15-20k distance, the lower part of the ship is not rendered giving it the 'rising from behind the horizon' effect as it approaches.

Maybe on 1pp only servers. But on 3pp servers it would be detrimental to gameplay if everybody could just lie down when they come under fire and periscope their surroundings while invisible. At least in 1pp they would be blind to what was going on around them until they got to their feet. But I do generally like your idea