reiber

What are your thoughts on the state of the game?

I am a fan of BI, they have the type of games I like to play.  I started playing DayZ as a mod of Arma 2 and loved it. I have read where they want to take this game and it has disappointed me. The stand alone had some Huge shoes to fill and thus far I don't see those shoes being filled. Dayz mod was gritty, there were a lot of powerful weapons with different rarities there were different uniforms but more for utility than for style (now it seems like a fashion contest). There were vehicles you could find repair and use. we just received vehicles a few months ago and still no aircraft. (what has it been a year and a half since release?). The loot system seems messed up all the time every new versions screws it up more. I see a bunch or New players defending it because its the best game of the Genre (which I still believe, for now.). On the other hand. there are some Heavy hitters coming for the title that aren't as stingy with their loot system, and they have Highly contested areas that have High value loot. something they took away Back in 0.57 by making the military bases  a place you no longer needed to go to get Higher end guns. why even travel the map anymore when you can stick to the water front towns and battle it out like in CoD? I see a lot of people defending the direction the game has taken but they have taken a map with hot spots with the potential of high end loot spawns. and turned it into a map with out any flavor. I do not understand why people battle it out in Berezino other than the trolls that just like to kill new spawns, there is nothing there worth fighting for. This game has taken alot of the tactics out of the game the whole reason behind having the hot spots was to find a way to get a group together to take over and control the areas to control the loot that spawned in them.

For example:

Chernogorsk has 2 hospitals a fire house and lots of elevated positions, to control the hospitals you control the medications (they have added more hospitals since the mod so adding hot spots/options)

Electro has 2 firehouses, a hospital, and a few elevated positions including a hill (sniper hill) to control electro you control a small medication area some starter weapons/armor and Fire axes.

Balota Before they changed everything used to have a chance to spawn a helicopter, a few high end weapons and some starter gear. to control that area you controled who got the high end weapons on the south coast.

Berezino had a small military outpost 2 stores and a hospital, this was the chernogorsk of the east coast but didnt have the elevated positions. If you controled this you could survive and control some of the traffic to Krasnostav.

Krasnostav Airbase (NE Airfield) had a chance to spawn a helicopter and some High end weapons. to control this you controled who got the high end weapons on the east coast.

Stary sobor had a store and a military camp that spawned High end military gear, cars, and was basicly the last stop shop before you get to NW Airbase. If you controled this you saw at least 60% of the people going to NW Airbase and could slow the flow somewhat.

NW Airbase had the most High end military gear spawning areas, Helo spawns, Vehicle spawns, If you could hold this for an hour you were doing good and there were no shortage of groups sneaking into this place to take control of it.

See they changed the Loot lay out before they have enough guns or vehicles to support such a move and keep people interested. that is why the servers are at all time low populations.

But this is just my opinion and I am sure someone will come along with a different viewpoint but then again maybe they have never played the mod or seen the promised land of squad tactics in this game.

I think you have asked this question 1-2 years too early. 

Its naive to question systems like loot distribution when these systems have not even been completed.

The stand alone had some Huge shoes to fill and thus far I don't see those shoes being filled

To take the shoe analogy further.  The SA hasn't even developed feet yet to even start to fill shoes.  Commenting that an infant doesn't fill the shoes of an adult yet is a little silly.  The infant hasnt even grown up yet.

There were vehicles you could find repair and use

These systems are still being developed.  We have 1 vehicle we can repair and use.  The granularity of the repair system isnt even completed yet (things like fan belts still to be implemented and I expect you will need to use a tyre iron to get wheels off).  3 more vehicles coming in 0.59 (hopefully all going well).

still no aircraft

They are working on server improvements before flight. Last status report hints that it perhaps will be addressed in next few patched.

what has it been a year and a half since release?

Nope.  The game has not even been finished, never mind released.

The loot system seems messed up all the time every new versions screws it up more.

Thats because they are iterating the CLE.  Its getting better, but may even get worse before its finished.  They plan to implement regional control so high value stuff can only be looted further NW.  Building control still needs to be fixed as places like NOVO tower shouldn't be spawning fire fighter gear.

they have Highly contested areas that have High value loot

Have you been to Myshkino tents or NWAF lately?  The quanset hut is spawning chopper loot and there are only 3 on the map.  

something they took away Back in 0.57 by making the military bases  a place you no longer needed to go to get Higher end guns

0.57 loot being on gatehouses and not in barracks was a bug, not a game design.

why even travel the map anymore when you can stick to the water front towns and battle it out like in CoD?

Have you even played 0.58? The coastal towns are either ghost towns or you meet the occasional freshspawn who is travelling inland.  There is very limited CoD gameplay on the coast anymore.  Again subject to change as the loot systems are developed and tweaked

Edited by Beav
  • Like 8

Really enjoying myself at the moment, never experiencing any desynch issues that has been mentioned, and loot distribution is working great as of now. Just that some places tend to spawn the same loot, for example, many places that spawn 4 - 5 binoculars or rangefinders, which is kind of odd. 

I don't think loot spawn places is too bad as things stand.

Greatest thing killing the game for me at the moment is no zeds. That turns the game into a survival sim; but it's so easy to survive on tins and cans and so on that it then turns into just a gear up/pvp game.

I think once zeds have been finished by the devs, then with persistence working and with vehicles fully added the game will be far more like the mod was in its heyday.  

I know I'll be addicted again once me & my friends can put camps and stashes around the map and zip about in a UAZ hunting Hueys ;) 

Like most have already said here, the state of the game is and unfinished one. Expect to have bugs, wonky loot distributions, and other challenges. Just hang in there Gunnaboom. It can only get better.

I find it difficult to even talk about this stuff anymore. There are too many unknowns since the devs only tell us what they feel we need to know in as much detail as they think is necessary and only when they feel the time is right. Outrage culture on the internet is a bitch to deal with.

Do I love where the game is right now? Not really. Will this even remotely resemble the final product? Not likely. I don't even know what such core basics like movement, running speed, duration of running, food & water consumption, item scarcity, etc. will look like next week, let alone at beta. 

• Like 2

my thoughts now are that i want the zombies back, i liked them and its not a zombie game without zombies, hope they take them back really soon :) (i know why they did remove the number of zombies currently)

• Like 1

I'm kinda worried that the loot-tier system will remove some of the personality from the many towns and villages. I like spotting a well-known town on the horizon, a place I've been before, whose loot spawns and firing lines I know well. Each population centre has its own feel. As long as the game doesn't lose that, I see no issues at present.

I have no complaints, am loving .58. Only bugs I've gotten are the duplicating crafted stone knives and the "I cant pick up this item unless I walk out and then back in" bug. Those are mildly annoying and yes I miss the zombies but man... private whitelisted servers, loot is fixed, persistence works, I have a camp (filled up barrel in a bush so no one will ever find it, but still), no desync, no audio glitches, no lootsplosions, CoD KoSers having to explore and earn their gear, game runs better... I'm having a blast.

I'm sure they'll fix those minor bugs soon enough and bring back the zeds, and aren't they working on more vehicles/air in .59? What are you complaining about?!?

I'm not sure that OP has even played .58 yet.

• Like 1

I'm kinda worried that the loot-tier system will remove some of the personality from the many towns and villages. I like spotting a well-known town on the horizon, a place I've been before, whose loot spawns and firing lines I know well. Each population centre has its own feel. As long as the game doesn't lose that, I see no issues at present.

Yeah I made a long journey to the tower in novo looking for anything promising and all it had were firemans clothes  :-|  

This game is slowly getting there. The loot-tier system is putting players to work to get their 'fun'. But, I'm concerned it's going to cause a large inland black hole, where players are just immediately sucked inwards and disappear over the event horizon somewhere near Stary. It could make the game worse. If every fresh spawn heads to the North East, then there'll be less interaction of any kind on the coast. There's gotta be incentives for geared players to head back towards the coast, and without it, running into fresh-spawns with nothing to lose outweighs any reason to go back.

I can't wait for zombies to be brought back though. The return of these savages will herald the return of civilised behaviour too. Well, it'll cut down the KoS for most players...actually, I think it'll rapidly lead to server hoppers rising to power, as they'll become the only ones able to ignore the need for caution, stealth and ammo conservation. Wait until you hear the complaints pour in when that happens!

This game is slowly getting there. The loot-tier system is putting players to work to get their 'fun'. But, I'm concerned it's going to cause a large inland black hole, where players are just immediately sucked inwards and disappear over the event horizon somewhere near Stary. It could make the game worse. If every fresh spawn heads to the North East, then there'll be less interaction of any kind on the coast. There's gotta be incentives for geared players to head back towards the coast, and without it, running into fresh-spawns with nothing to lose outweighs any reason to go back.

I can't wait for zombies to be brought back though. The return of these savages will herald the return of civilised behaviour too. Well, it'll cut down the KoS for most players...actually, I think it'll rapidly lead to server hoppers rising to power, as they'll become the only ones able to ignore the need for caution, stealth and ammo conservation. Wait until you hear the complaints pour in when that happens!

As I understand it (and I think Hicks mentioned something about it on his Twitter page)- the idea of the tiered loot system means that there will be less essential supplies spawning inland as opposed to the coast. Basically, players will be more likely to find food in region 1 than region 4 so you have to continually migrate according to your survival needs. Start getting hungry- head to a low tier region, start running low on ammo- head to a higher tier area.

To do it right:

Boneboys with Steak and Potatoes and orlok should stand on the balcony of the Government Building on the main square at Svetjolarsk and give a State Of the Game Address to the DayZ nation.

:) xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

I'm not sure that OP has even played .58 yet.

Nice band wagon jumping there but yes I have played it. It is better than .57 but still makes me balk at starting the game.

As I understand it (and I think Hicks mentioned something about it on his Twitter page)- the idea of the tiered loot system means that there will be less essential supplies spawning inland as opposed to the coast. Basically, players will be more likely to find food in region 1 than region 4 so you have to continually migrate according to your survival needs. Start getting hungry- head to a low tier region, start running low on ammo- head to a higher tier area.

I Understand now that you explained it, But it is still such a crappy idea since I mentioned a lot of the main hot spots in OP with the system they are talking about implementing and all of their talk about wanting people to use more of the map it makes no sense to have the tier system unless it is broken down per town/building.

You have it absolutely backwards.  The first region, consisting of mainly the coastline should have the lower tier loot; with the findings getting better as one travels inland to the area around NWAF.

Nice band wagon jumping there but yes I have played it. It is better than .57 but still makes me balk at starting the game.

I Understand now that you explained it, But it is still such a crappy idea since I mentioned a lot of the main hot spots in OP with the system they are talking about implementing and all of their talk about wanting people to use more of the map it makes no sense to have the tier system unless it is broken down per town/building.

I'm not on the bandwagon, but rather zig-zagging through the brush in the same general direction as the wagon. You complain about the way that the newly available guardshack spawns being bugged in their first iteration in .57 has made the coast an easy-mode peeveepee haven, more than three weeks after it has been patched out of existence.  It's kinda like complaining about that ride at Disneyland that is nothing but pro Monsanto propaganda--years after it no longer exists.

You sound like you want SA to be the MOD, and I don't think that you can be pleased if that is your goal.  The legacy loot system had loot assignments broken down by building, and it was a broken, predictable, exploitable system.  Grandma's house always had food in the kitchen, Grandpa's house always had a gun in the corner, large sheds almost always had a leather sewing kit, et cetera, ad nauseum.  We get it, you don't like previous patches.  Luckily for all of us, that absolutely does not matter at all.

I'm just concerned that you don't appreciate the act of having to run around and look everywhere to find the things you want, rather than just hopping a known spawn point until you see what you want.  Above all else, remember that this is not the MOD, and that the finished product will be better than the MOD in many significant ways.

Just because your opinion on this particular subject is demonstrably worthless, it doesn't mean that we don't still care.  Keep trying little buddy, rhetorical success could be just around the corner.  ;)

old and amateurish.

You mean old like 'Quasimodo' or 'Donkey-Kong' ?

Or do you mean not as old as those those ... but before the high-pro Pokemon came out on the Gameboy Pocket (black and white), right ?

Or do you more have 'Magic Carpet' or the original 'Descent' in mind ?

or are we talking 'Little Big Adventure', or 'King's Quest 5' here ?

please name one new and professional game (the opposite of old and amateurish) to compare, so I can get the wavelength

Yo cmon Dude gimme the Name of the Cool Game

xx

[edit:]

Magic Carpet is a video game released by Bullfrog in 1994. Its graphics and gameplay were consideredinnovative and technically impressive at the time

Descent is a 3D person shooter from Parallax Software released by Interplay in Europe in 1994. The game features six degrees of freedom gameplay !!!

Pokemon is a game about .. duh...Pokemons (ask grandma). I still have B/W GameBoy with just that ONE game Pokemon Yellow still plugged in it, hanging right behind the door, no shit. I have the original 8-bit Pokemon battle theme as the call sound on my phone right now... (na na nan ya boo shucks to ya, heh). A tune of pure genius, wow.

Edited by pilgrim

please name one new and professional game (the opposite of old and amateurish) to compare, so I can get the wavelength

I kinda' agree with the amateurish comment but not in a negative way. BIS has never really made good single-player games. If you want something more in-depth than "pew-pew-objective-complete" then their multiplayer design is lacking as well.

In comparison to mod, the "game" lacks structure. I keep waiting for the day that they add some kind of framework that allows players to compete against each other rather than just run around, play dress-up and shoot other people. I want my in-game decisions to be the determining factor if I live or die. Hoping that the RNG gods have dropped some loot in a specific house so I won't die of starvation is not fun. Sitting around randomly picking berries and apples is not fun. Running to NWA to gear up, to run back to the coast to hunt bambis is not fun. Setting up loot stockpiles in the middle of the woods is simply not fun. A zombie, horror, survival game without zombies or horror is not fun (seriously, what is that Bratislava team doing for over a year?)

Then we hear they bought the boring "Survival Games" competition and are having a "Community Combat Scrum" to make DayZ combat better. How about some QoL changes, first. For the people that actually want to play a game and not watch Twitch streams.

• Like 1

^ ^ yo - scriptfactory, amigo

Framework = zombies + chat

It's true the Mod was a kind of one-off stroke of genius. I think that's what happens in very good Mods, but only very rarely.

1 ) the Zombies provided the "framework" scriptfactory talks about IMO.. you could die a thousand ways but there were ALWAYS zombies there if you showed the slightest weakness or made one bad move. <zombies and survival> were a single gameplay element, not 2 different things - I mean, you didn't have to <live in the trees and survive> - you had to <live around zombies and survive>.

From fresh-spawn, you could play The Mod by yourself, always-always just trying to beat the zombies for 1 more can of beans

Many times I crawled along the edge of a fence in some village, flies buzzing on a corpse in the street, watching the fat farmer zombie crossing the road, checking another one wandering down towards me (walking speed), hoping there ain't another one behind the house, sweating to time it right, maybe almost time to crawl into the door between them? - looking for food and gear and ready to run if one spots you, because there are at least 7 around here, and more will come if they hear you.

Getting close to a helicrash could be a MAJOR event .. unless you were armed to the teeth you had to stealth through those Zombie Pilots - still feels strange now finding a helicrash and .. no damn zombies around ?? that's .... not right... fels like a trap.. not normal..

The zombies were always there, they were fun and crazy, and THEN also there were ALSO the other players TOO. That ALL could get hairy fast - constantly, any moment.

Not complaining, but if you fought another player in a house, you knew there were zombies closing in on the sounds. from a flat roof you could see them wandering in your direction from half a mile away. So at last the designers had to put in a NEW RULE to have NOT MORE than a certain number turn up in the player's area at one time. You could still get swamped and go down fighting, specially if you were cornered. (never get cornered by zombs, even if you got plenty ammo, you learn to deal with them OK, but then you got no ammo left.. shoot shoot and RUN)

I had a broken leg I was lying behind a shed and killed 30+ zombies with an axe (lying down) till they stopped coming - then there were so many bodies piled on me I couldn't move till they despawned. And I will REMEMBER that fight a LONG time.. for years.

Not complaining (still not complaining) but with that kind of stuff going on AND other players doing everything they still do now, the stress level was held constant through the game. Going in a barracks you always had to look out for zombies as much as players, maybe more - zombies were always around - and they MOVED, any little village had several walking up and down the street from one end to the other, or changing and going off around the buildings, turning round changing their minds, passing each other.. hey - You should know - If you were lying in a bush and you spoke on your mike they HEARD you, dude.. 2 or 3 close-by zombies stopped walking when they heard One Word and they came running.

2 ) isn't that the "framework" scriptfactory ?   And - Teams were always fighting in Cherno and Electro right in the middle of all that.

With in-game text-chat those fights were always EASY to arrange. with strangers.

Now they're not

no text-chat = BIG, MAJOR, GAME-CHANGING difference from Mod.

Some kind of text-only chat (turn it on or off and block players) plus zombies as plenty and "good"  as they used to be, and this game would explode in F-MAJOR

Yo! - not complaining

xx

[edit: sorry I write this long-long stuff, I'm still off work since 5 months with a smashed up collarbone.. really scuse me, and I always think slow anyway .. drone drone]

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

You have it absolutely backwards. The first region, consisting of mainly the coastline should have the lower tier loot; with the findings getting better as one travels inland to the area around NWAF.

It's also been elaborated on that the devs do not want much in the way of essential supplies spawning in high tier regions to discourage camping and continue to encourage player migration.

Perhaps I phrased it poorly originally.

Tier 1 (Coastal towns)- few firearms but more supplies (food, knives etc.)

Tier 4 (mil bases)- few supplies but more high grade weaponry

It's also been elaborated on that the devs do not want much in the way of essential supplies spawning in high tier regions to discourage camping and continue to encourage player migration.

Perhaps I phrased it poorly originally.

Tier 1 (Coastal towns)- few firearms but more supplies (food, knives etc.)

Tier 4 (mil bases)- few supplies but more high grade weaponry

Oh, I get ya now.  Never really picked out that bit about CLE plans.  Sounds like it will just make it frustrating for most people who want to play at the NW airfield and VMB. I love it.