☣BioHaze☣

The Zombie Hunters: DayZ's least acknowledged play style.

Combat/PvP players: These players come from the FPS community mostly and believe survival is secondary to firefights. (*Likely the majority of the player base.)

The PvP crowd gets the majority of the dev teams attention and their play style is catered to and encouraged. (Survivor games anyone?)

Hermit/Mountain Man: People who play in this style have little interest in any of the combat in DayZ and would be content to avoid everyone and spend their time maintaining a base and farming to survive.

Recently attracting more attention in development the Hermit play style will have it's own clothing and craft-able gear that will complete the Hermit lifestyle in game.

Zombie Hunters: This is the play style I prefer. It involves maintaining ones health while attempting to "exterminate" every last infected I encounter. (Personally I play neutral and will help a player when I feel it is safe to do so and will not fire upon a player unless fired upon first.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just about every other play style can be lumped under one of these 3.

Medic/Hero/Murderer etc, can easily be incorporated into most of the above 3 play styles.

The point of this thread is to bring attention to the zombie hunter play style.

When so much of the devs public focus is on PvP it's no wonder the public sees DayZ as essentially a PvP FPS game and not a sandbox game.

This is not a "where's the infected?" thread.

Many responses to this thread could easily be, "But they haven't had good zombies in DayZ since the beginning, how can anyone care to try to play this way?"

Well, some of us played the mod this way where it was quite possible and it led to many fun adventures.

Let's hope when infected return in force we will see those of us trying to redeem Chernarus for the immune get some attention as well.

The only mechanic I see in the far flung future that has any impact on zombie hunters is the "town clearing mechanic" discussed a long time ago.

Where if you killed all the infected in a town the infected re-spawn rate would be reduced until you left the town making it easier to protect a base or loot an area.

Hicks_206 discussed having regular chats with players from different play styles to give feedback about bugs and features that affect how they play at RTX.

I'm hoping that when infected are reintroduced we will see some attention paid to the Zombie Hunter play style in particular.

....maybe a soft skill for melee effectiveness versus infected is possible in the future?

Edited: for improved tags

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 12

i can feel with you and i would bet that the devs would bring back zeds faster then every other thing.

i think the are pissed like me from statements ..."muhahaa, day -z, psychopath simulator, day-flowerpicker and so on)

but patience is the key, hicks said, they changed their view of what is ready for stable or experimental.

like we saw with .58, it was in our opinion ready for stable 4 weeks ago, but devs found some blockers and don´t want that flaming in the forums, so it took longer.

same goes with infected, if it does not feel "good" to add them they will be turned off until they are ready for the crowd.

hard time, ok, but i learned to live with it.

Combat/PvP players: These players come from the FPS community mostly and believe survival is secondary to firefights. (*Likely the majority of the player base.)

The PvP crowd gets the majority of the dev teams attention and their play style is catered to and encouraged. (Survivor games anyone?)

Couldn't have said that any better. I've a bad feeling that SG will be the gamemode and they'll also populate the survival servers. SG is cool and all that but it isn't DayZ. All we can hope pure PvP players like most of the streamers move to the SG.

Playing zombie hunter will likely be hard because just like in the mod, fire an unsilenced gun and you've the whole town after you. It requires good amount of ammo, friends the more the better, plan where to start the clearing and careful approaching. Getting in melee should mean that there's big chance you'll be hit couple of times at least and you need to know where to hide to bandage yourself.

I'd like to see that if a zombie aggroes, every zombie in 10m radius will also do that. Aggro a zombie bit further away so it will run near other zombies and you've a horde coming at you. Also if a zombie is killed all the zombies near should get in aware state so the start to scan more and see better.

• Like 3

I hope multiple styles of play become possible in the future. At the moment, only the hermit and the psychopath are viable; when a certain threshold of killers is reached in the game, the only viable survival methods are completely avoiding people or shooting them as soon as you can. PvP style literally forces others to adopt the PvP style to enjoy the game, assuming one ever gets bored of being a complete hermit, which I think is inevitable. Until that balances out, which I do not think it will do on its own (at least not with the current metagame wherein the vast majority of successful Twitch streamers and YouTube uploaders focus heavily on PvP).

Kill all the zombies you want once they're reintroduced, but I recommend counting other players as zombies for your purposes; you'll die a lot less, and hear a lot fewer racist twelve-year-olds shouting Allah-u Akbar through two-dollar microphones after they've killed you.

• Like 1

Very interesting post,OP.  The devs really need to figure out what kind of game this should be and stick to it.  When I first got this it was primarily a zombie game.  Now its just horde loot and find other people to kill.  Nothing wrong with that but not what I initially bought into.  So much so I'm finding myself looking more and more at Rust and 7 Days.

• Like 6

-snip-

Kill all the zombies you want once they're reintroduced, but I recommend counting other players as zombies for your purposes; you'll die a lot less, and hear a lot fewer racist twelve-year-olds shouting Allah-u Akbar through two-dollar microphones after they've killed you.

I've never had to KoS to avoid the squeaking trolls but I'm sure the way I played helped avoid them altogether more than anything.

Those players gravitate to areas of the map I usually avoid.

Even if I just get shot at, if I see someone first, I would rather reach out to them from a safe vantage point than immediately engage them with firearms.

I don't often look to team up, but I do enjoy the random trade or helping the less fortunate with food or gear.

I remember when the devs did their first iteration of the infected AI. I was very interested and did some field research on how to use their new behavior for my benefit. I can't wait to see my old friends again.

The Infected hunters will be a very fun play style. It fills the PVE co-op niche that this game can offer.

However, I'll be trying to keep my friends safe by finding them cozy homes to settle in away from the harsh environment and hidden from would be hunters. Please knock first so as not to startle the new homeowners.  :)

• Like 2

I just hope they get back to the days of the Mod. I remember crawling through towns avoiding infected, just trying to get food. Then you would hear one of them aggro and think "shit! is it coming for me!?". Then you would just lay and pray hoping it went after someone else. 

That tension was every bit as visceral as running into another player I promise...

I am completely planning on being a zombie hunter. Getting revenge on those that ruined the world! (or made it better :P)

Edited by hrdrok
  • Like 5

I must post here because (and of course you know this Biohaze) I am a zombie hunter even though I don't have anything meaningful to add to the discussion. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 2

On the upside I had what looked like a deer scare the bejeezuz out of me.  I missed that feeling so much I ran after it hoping to would try to attack me.  No love.

People are unhappy if they force themselves subconscious into a group or playstyle. This could certainly be an issue (and actually is a bit) when DayZ has only got a handful of "play styles" when going in Alpha with still the Arma Legacy in the Dark. If everyone would play DayZ, how it is going to be, everyone would understand. But, like you mentioned, the old Arma legacy is bringing in a sort of "how-DayZ-should-be" mentality, and that's just destined to change more and more, when the game continues to develop further on. Shared similarities, yes of course,... completely different despite that? I surely hope sooo! Love it already!

In every sandbox game, if you are doing and restricting yourself to a single thing / game style or sort, you end up being very bored. It is about the total experience package that makes it every time truly unique and unexpected. That is the Fun!

(7yrs of EVE Online MMORPG experience talking here)

Edited by Hemmo NL

People are unhappy if they force themselves subconscious into a group or playstyle. This could certainly be an issue (and actually is a bit) when DayZ has only got a handful of "play styles" when going in Alpha with still the Arma Legacy in the Dark. If everyone would play DayZ, how it is going to be, everyone would understand. But, like you mentioned, the old Arma legacy is bringing in a sort of "how-DayZ-should-be" mentality, and that's just destined to change more and more, when the game continues to develop further on. Shared similarities, yes of course,... completely different despite that? I surely hope sooo! Love it already!

In every sandbox game, if you are doing and restricting yourself to a single thing / game style or sort, you end up being very bored. It is about the total experience package that makes it every time truly unique and unexpected. That is the Fun!

(7yrs of EVE Online MMORPG experience talking here)

I'm not 100% sure I follow everything you posted but I guess I would respond by saying I encourage a variety of play styles and enjoy hearing of others who try to play in varying styles but certain ways of playing do not appeal to me and I would likely need many many many hours of play time before I tried playing certain ways.

I often found myself clearing towns for the hell of it. Had lots of fun with it but I am definitely a player of all styles.

I find the PvP aspect suffers alot for me without the infected. The we're the icing on the cake for me that made PvP encounters even more intense. When the infected come back to chernarus, so will I.

Okay, I get where this thread is coming from now that I've watched this: http://www.twitch.tv/astrogaming/v/13427056?t=5h01m18s

Zombies alone have never been enough of a threat in DayZ SA for there to be a streamer who focuses on that gameplay element. Hell, I've seen gameplay videos where people are getting punched by zombies and ignoring them completely while their gear is getting wrecked just to shoot some other guy. With no Twitch streamer to vouch for us, I am 90% sure that no one is aware we exist. After all, the best part of this game is PvP right? I mean, with everything I read and hear from Hicks, it sounds like he genuinely believes this game is for fighting among players. I know he doesn't personally KoS everyone he sees, but he is apparently close personal friends with people who have no interest in doing anything other than shooting anything that moves. I bet they reflexively shoot cows. 

If we're lucky, we might get enough infected to possibly cause the occasional hiccup, but there is no way that the game can be balanced for constant PvP combat and a challenge from the infected. You can't have high powered full auto rifles with ammo everywhere for the deathmatchers AND have infected pose any real threat without doing something obnoxious like making them respawn non-stop for an hour or be unstoppable tanks that soak up bullets to the point of hilarity.

DayZ devs need to decide what the fuck this game actually is and stick to it. I have a feeling that a majority of the players out there would never notice or care if zombies never came back. That's a problem for a game that is marketed as a zombie apocalypse scenario.

• Like 2

What really hurts me is that devs don't mention zombies as much as CLE or weapon sway or coloring t-shirts. It hurts me more since I saw new zombie mod for Arma 3.

Zombies in dayz were dangerous only because of desync when they used to hit you from other side of town.

Last time zombies killed me in mod was awesome scene, like in TWD. Even with all the tricks I know how to lose zombies on that location one sneak behind me and broke my legs with one hit. Instantly 6 or 7 others started kicking me and there was nothing I could do but to watch my life fade away. I fired two magazines from Sa58 but that only attracted more of them. We don't need complicated CLE, if there is 20-25 zeds in every high loot area that are hard to kill.

Sounds quite boring tbh.

For this playstile to be fun in my opinion, zombies need to be a real challenge and most important, present variety. I do believe they are going to be hard to deal with in the future, but they will fail in variety. You see, fighting zombies is a boring and repetitive thing if there are no other kind of zombies, like one that would have some sort of ranged attack, one that runs like fuck but its weak, other that is a "tanker" but kinda slow, other that is a fine balance in speed/resistance but is smart as fuck and so on. DayZ community is WAY to conservative to ever see some variety in zombies, so I do believe that this playstile will be very limited, more to zombie enthusiastic people, because it tends to be a repetitive thing for those who are not.

Also, very low skill ceiling because you are dealing with predictable and non variable AI, once you master its weakness there will be zero challenge. In fact, if you have a automatic weapon with enough ammo, zombies like this game has (only melee, run in a straight line towards you no matter what) are really not a challenge at all.

Hermit stile of gameplay suffers from the same thing, gets boring because its repetitive and the skill ceiling is way to low. Read wikipedia and GG, pr0 survival with mad sk1lls, game will last only for those who are enthusiastic about survival things.

PVP is so prevalent because fighting other people is never the same thing, humans are unpredictable, and its the only thing one have to really master in this game, how to become a good killer, how to move tactically, how to use proper stealth and camouflage, how to trick people into traps etc. Its the only thing in this game that has a minimum of skill ceiling and presents itself as a real challenge, even for veterans.

I like to play a mix of hermit/survivor and PVP, I find zeds in this game rather boring and seriously, its a pain in the ass to fight them. Its REALLY not fun, I don't know how they plan to be at release but circle strafing and spamming LMB with a melee weapon, while the zed spam attacks at you as well is rather stupid and shallow. If the game had more fleshed out melee mechanics it could be more interesting, like multidirectional attacks, comboing (you do a right to left horizontal attack and chain it in a left to right backswing, or chain a horizontal attack into a stab, or overhead, each of these variations having different advantages in different situations, with different weapons), defensive maneuvers like dodging and parrying etc, this by itself creates multiple fighting styles that players develop different from each other, thus create variety in zed combat AND create a skill ceiling in this sector, something to master you see.

Different from "HUEE spam and pray while you get hit as well".

For instance, with a better melee system there would be for example more defensive players and others would take the berserker route. Players that would rather have an axe (short range massive damage dealing, high risk-high-reward) and others would rather use a "spear" class of weapon (massive range, not so much damage output but you are safe to poke things in the head).

Add "shields" to all this and you see where this can go. One guy with a shield covering the other with a spear, for example. Would add so much needed depth in the game as a whole and especially fighting zeds.

Its really not fun to shoot dumbass targets that walk in straight line, or spam LMB while you get spammed as well. At the moment I see absolute zero reasons to play full zombie hunter, unless you are really enthusiastic about it. But you see, a better melee mechanic could add variety and skill to the combat without adding stupid ass zombies that throw shit at you lol, its a win-win situation, zed enthusiasts get happy because zeds stay realistic (lmao you understand what I mean right) and I get happy because fighting zeds will no longer be a pain in the ass dumb as fuck spam fest, and as a bonus I will finally be able to rekt people and zeds with my big melee skills! Ain't that great?

Soft skills for melee is bad tbh, let TRUE MECHANICAL SKILL shine in this area pls, no abstract and unrealistic "stat" update as I cut heads off.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 2

Sounds quite boring tbh.

You see, fighting zombies is a boring and repetitive thing if there are no other kind of zombies, like one that would have some sort of ranged attack, 

You are wrong. We just need lots and lots of zombies. They dont have to be very smart. But they should be able to climb ladders, break trough doors or enter trough windows (not at same moment behind you, but to let you rest for minute or two). And there should more different zombie models (that is WIP and confirmed).

But numbers are most important. Once they dont let you stand in place and combine your inventory for 5 minutes, or give you only enough time just to quickly pick up item on ground, then zombies will be treat. When they climb to best sniper nests or camping places, then this game will be complete.

• Like 3

You are wrong. We just need lots and lots of zombies. They dont have to be very smart. But they should be able to climb ladders, break trough doors or enter trough windows (not at same moment behind you, but to let you rest for minute or two). And there should more different zombie models (that is WIP and confirmed).

But numbers are most important. Once they dont let you stand in place and combine your inventory for 5 minutes, or give you only enough time just to quickly pick up item on ground, then zombies will be treat. When they climb to best sniper nests or camping places, then this game will be complete.

Read the whole post please. They could add 1 billion zeds, if I have a automatic weapon I can just line them up and open fire, run, reload, open fire, run, reload, open fire. Have you ever played Serious Sam? This suggestion ends up with a shallow Serious Sam kind of game inside DayZ, and if we are going this route, there needs to be one billion enemies on the screen (witch could create serious balance issues for fresh respawns) AND enemy variety, otherwise its shallow and easy.

Killing zeds would be fun if this game had a bit more focus on melee combat instead of PEWPEPEPW.

Edited by Avant-Garde

Read the whole post please. They could add 1 billion zeds, if I have a automatic weapon I can just line them up and open fire, run, reload, open fire, run, reload, open fire. Have you ever played Serious Sam? This suggestion ends up with a shallow Serious Sam kind of game inside DayZ, and if we are going this route, there needs to be one billion enemies on the screen (witch could create serious balance issues for fresh respawns) AND enemy variety, otherwise its shallow and easy.

Killing zeds would be fun if this game had a bit more focus on melee combat instead of PEWPEPEPW.

That is case with current zombies (I hope they dont stay like this) where they all run to single spot and tend to stand in same spot when atacking you. But what if they atack you from different directions, what if takes 5-6 body shots to kill them?

Devs have these zombies somewhere in internal builds, but we never saw them in game... :(

• Like 1

Read the whole post please. They could add 1 billion zeds, -snip-

Much of what you posted is assuming that the infected will resemble anything we have seen so far.

I am willing to bet that the infected AI and Horde mechanics in the future may present the challenge you are interested in.

You should also be aware that we will be getting a new animation system for characters which should improve melee as well.

Very interesting post,OP.  The devs really need to figure out what kind of game this should be and stick to it.  When I first got this it was primarily a zombie game.  Now its just horde loot and find other people to kill.  Nothing wrong with that but not what I initially bought into.  So much so I'm finding myself looking more and more at Rust and 7 Days.

Yeah that's exactly my feelings too.

That is case with current zombies (I hope they dont stay like this) where they all run to single spot and tend to stand in same spot when atacking you. But what if they atack you from different directions, what if takes 5-6 body shots to kill them?

Devs have these zombies somewhere in internal builds, but we never saw them in game... :(

Welp, the ones in the video are actually not really different from "form a line and attack" mentality. You know what was really different? DayZ mod's zed. They would NEVER walk in a straight line, they were unpredictable as fuck, that was really fun and a goddamn challenge to hit them with firearms lol.

Much of what you posted is assuming that the infected will resemble anything we have seen so far.

I am willing to bet that the infected AI and Horde mechanics in the future may present the challenge you are interested in.

You should also be aware that we will be getting a new animation system for characters which should improve melee as well.

Infected AI as far as I know is about them recognizing stealth and not being stupid as fuck as the zeds in those firsts builds where they would see you behind walls and from miles away. Horde mechanics, what does that really mean? Will they act different when in a horde? Thats really interesting tbh

I am aware of the new animation system, but that is one thing, melee complexity is another that might need the new animation system but it is another thing. Its not that they add new animation system and BOOMM melee is complex now. Have you tried to ask devs about melee combat? They are pretty evasive tbh, I really doubt we will see much more complexity then what we have now. I mean, look at the practical consequences of a better fleshed out melee: you will parry/dodge based on the animation you are seeing. A swing animation from a axe for example, that is one of the slowest melee weapons, has probably .1 or.2 seconds of windup witch is FAST AS FUCK to react to. Imagine a mad axeman in Elektro swing that shit at you, supposing that the ping is fucking perfect and there is absolutely NO lag at all, you barely have time to react.

Now here comes the trick, have you ever seen a bohemia game that doesn't lag? How the fuck could we have a complex melee system with all this lag? And even if they fixed the lag, they must increase the windup of every single weapon in the game + increase the release time as well (when the swing animation deals damage), and polish every swing animation in the game because thats the information you will have to know when to parry/dodge.

With zeds is the exact same problem, but at least their windup is bigger and you can react to, with no problems.

Melee is a BIG thing, base building levels of big. But we hear absolutely nothing about it, witch makes me doubt that it will ever be much more fleshed out then its now. I HOPE I'M WRONG, really, but I don't think I am because I think that we would be hearing and testing things about it, but there is absolutely NOTHING about melee, most of the info that we have is because I asked the devs, and the answer is quite evasive. And really, people doesn't seems to care as well, so yeah, I'm really doubting about it tbh.

Also yeah, I do think the zeds will resemble what we have seen by now. How much different you think they will be?

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

-snip-

Infected AI as far as I know is about them recognizing stealth and not being stupid as fuck as the zeds in those firsts builds where they would see you behind walls and from miles away. Horde mechanics, what does that really mean? Will they act different when in a horde? Thats really interesting tbh

I am aware of the new animation system, but that is one thing, melee complexity is another that might need the new animation system but it is another thing. Its not that they add new animation system and BOOMM melee is complex now. Have you tried to ask devs about melee combat? They are pretty evasive tbh, I really doubt we will see much more complexity then what we have now. I mean, look at the practical consequences of a better fleshed out melee: you will parry/dodge based on the animation you are seeing. A swing animation from a axe for example, that is one of the slowest melee weapons, has probably .1 or.2 seconds of windup witch is FAST AS FUCK to react to. Imagine a mad axeman in Elektro swing that shit at you, supposing that the ping is fucking perfect and there is absolutely NO lag at all, you barely have time to react.

Now here comes the trick, have you ever seen a bohemia game that doesn't lag? How the fuck could we have a complex melee system with all this lag? And even if they fixed the lag, they must increase the windup of every single weapon in the game + increase the release time as well (when the swing animation deals damage), and polish every swing animation in the game because thats the information you will have to know when to parry/dodge.

With zeds is the exact same problem, but at least their windup is bigger and you can react to, with no problems.

Melee is a BIG thing, base building levels of big. But we hear absolutely nothing about it, witch makes me doubt that it will ever be much more fleshed out then its now. I HOPE I'M WRONG, really, but I don't think I am because I think that we would be hearing and testing things about it, but there is absolutely NOTHING about melee, most of the thing that we have I asked the devs, and the answer is quite evasive. And really, people doesn't seems to care as well, so yeah, I'm really doubting about it tbh.

Also yeah, I do think the zeds will resemble what we have seen by now. How much different you think they will be?

Much of this is well thought out but still is conjecture. We shouldn't make any assumptions right now without seeing what is being worked on.

I am hoping for some basic blocking or parrying and I disagree that longer wind-up time needs to be added in necessarily.

Once you become accustomed to timing and movements you'll be able to judge when someone is sprinting at you to swing and the impact that follows.

Also the time between swings can be significant enough that a single missed swing can be the difference between living or dying.

Finally, Bohemia is known for lag problems but I trust the devs when they say all is possible in a smooth environment.

I'm not going to cry "the sky is falling" RE: infected until probably some time in Beta, which is when I expect most infected issues to be well ironed out.

• Like 1

Much of this is well thought out but still is conjecture. We shouldn't make any assumptions right now without seeing what is being worked on.

I am hoping for some basic blocking or parrying and I disagree that longer wind-up time needs to be added in necessarily.

Once you become accustomed to timing and movements you'll be able to judge when someone is sprinting at you to swing and the impact that follows.

Also the time between swings can be significant enough that a single missed swing can be the difference between living or dying.

Finally, Bohemia is known for lag problems but I trust the devs when they say all is possible in a smooth environment.

I'm not going to cry "the sky is falling" RE: infected until probably some time in Beta, which is when I expect most infected issues to be well ironed out.

Yep I know its conjecture, its just a opinion you see, since they are not talking about it and I'm kinda pessimist with stuff, thats my conclusion lol. But as I told ya, I really REALLY hope I'm wrong.

Thing is, human reaction time is about .2 - .3

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is a melee game that has a mechanic identical to DayZ (tracer based hit detection), the minimum windup is .375 and boy that is fast. FUCKING fast tbh

See it for yourself, its goddamn hard to have a reaction time on .1 and .2:

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

We need to have "slow" (.375, but imo .4 is ideal) and "flinchable"  windups otherwise the game becomes spam fest, because its easier and more effective to simply attack then try to dodge/parry anything, you are supposing that your opponent will be predictable and will attack when you think he will, but my friend melee is a complex thing you see, there are many ways to trick your opponent and make him miss the parry/block/dodge timing.

Also, tracer based hit detection allow for "accelerated" attacks, for instance, get an axe that at the moment it has a overhead swing animation, if you look down and swing it, it will land faster on whatever you are aiming, if you look up and aim with the end of the animation, it will land "slower" on whatever you are aiming. Horizontal swings, they come right-to-left at the moment if I remember right, so turn your mouse to the left and it will connect faster, turn your mouse to the right and it will land slower. If we have fast as fuck windups (.1 - .2) no one will parry/block shit because it will look instant, and delayed attacks will fuck everyone + I don't think its really realistic, our survivors are normal people and not trained fighters, so lots of "overswings" shall be expected I think.

Accelerated and delayed attacks are already a reality in this game lmao, they just need to add a few mechanics and balance.

The in between attacks thing you say, thats something that could differentiate weapons a little further. For example, if we have comboing, a fireaxe could have a slower combo time then a wood cutting axe, that would have slower combo times then that little one handed axe and so on. Sledgehammer could have huge combo times but hit like a truck. This makes you think if you want to combo and keep the initiative risking being hit in between your attacks, or just give one attack and be safe to parry/dodge. Imagine someone with a sledgehammer against a guy with a knife, if the sledgehammer stars comboing like a prick, you dodge and hit him between his attacks that is when he is fully vulnerable. Thast another reason to at least some weapons have slow windup, otherwise we can have a sledgehammer "machinegunning" everyone, witch is not fun, balanced neither realistic.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 2