Sign in to follow this  
Baker.

Can we agree this is feesable?

Its the same model with no geometrical changes, only texture swaps. Seriously the one you say is fine and the one you say isnt are the same thing "Shed_W03.p3d"

Lol_face.png

I need to go to sleep

• Like 2

I need to go to sleep

Night  :)*hugs*  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I need to go to sleep

To be fair, the angle in the OP makes it difficult to see the slope. :D

Edited by Beizs
  • Like 1

Not gonna lie, looks flat.

It's a funny angle corn

I knew something was fishy with B@ker's OP.   I wouldn't trust him any further than I could throw him, and with my bad knee I shouldn't throw anybody.

Edited by klesh
  • Like 1

Hello there

TBH though in an apocalyptic environ, my first aim would be to shore up an existing building, why reinvent the wheel?

If towns became to dangerous to live in, no matter how fortifed, then Id try to move to a  lone castle ruin and reinforce that and then finally if there were no other option live in my own self built hovel.

It always annoyed me in I am Legend how will smith didnt base his project off that bloody great big and easily defendable Aircraft carrier and rather chose a townhouse. Silly Man.

Just my 2 pennies

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Hello there

TBH though in an apocalyptic environ, my first aim would be to shore up an existing building, why reinvent the wheel?

If towns became to dangerous to live in, no matter how fortifed, then Id try to move to a  lone castle ruin and reinforce that and then finally if there were no other option live in my own self built hovel.

It always annoyed me in I am Legend how will smith didnt base his project off that bloody great big and easily defendable Aircraft carrier and rather chose a townhouse. Silly Man.

Just my 2 pennies

Rgds

LoK

Wasn't that HIS house, like from before the disease outbreak?

Plus, he had his lab in there. It would be a PAIN to move all of that sensitive equipment across the city....

• Like 1

Plus, he had his lab in there. It would be a PAIN to move all of that sensitive equipment across the city....

All of this^

Orlok? More like OWNEDlok.

LOLOLOL

Okay, continue with your thread, guys.

Also: feasible* ♥

• Like 1

Your first picture is more than feesable in DayZ.  Shelters like these honestly do not take much skill to erect, just common sense, and could be made from a variety of material.  Thatching would be doable but it'd be more resource/time consuming than say just finding a bunch of nails and plywood/sheet metal/tarp laying around in the cities (should still be an option for the 'pure' survivalists playstyle, "I made it out of guts, sticks, and grass!").

On a gameplay aspect they'ed have to keep player made buildings small and destructible.  Don't know if you've ever played Star Wars Galaxies, but playerhousing ruined some of the immersion.  You get 1km away from a major city like Mos Esiely or Theed (outside the nobuild zone) and there'd be shittons of small houses cluttering up the landscape acting as player stores or storehouses.  I could see structures like these being tools for greifers, (EG using a bunch of them to make makeshift walls in a major loot spawn to protect it from non server jumpers) but that could be said of anything.  There could also be the problem of them taking up server resources and causeing lag, again a greifer move, building many of them on the outskirts of the map to cause lag.

That said, lots of places to aquire building materials for them already existing, junk piles, lumber yards, general loot in cities, ect.

Something like this would take a bit of skill and a lot more resources (even for a mud and logs thatch house) to do, don't really think it'd fit as something player built, but if it was an existing structure added to game to add a little more variety to villages that'd be awesome.

Id go with corrugated iron too, but then i'd just cut them into square pieces with a hacksaw, bundle for transport, and shingle the roof instead.

Then he was lazy and silly.

he drives his sports car around a lot, why not a moving van? And to stay somewhere undefendable due to emotional reasons is daft when  you have to defend it every night.

Silly silly man!

but the thrust of my point is that id rather use something existing than build from new.

But if I had to it would be as OPs idea.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Id go with corrugated iron too, but then i'd just cut them into square pieces with a hacksaw, bundle for transport, and shingle the roof instead.

As a child who spent his days crafting shitty shelters like this, adn helping his dad do construction, cutting sheet metal with a hacksaw would be a dangerous nightmare.

• Like 1

Then he was lazy and silly.

he drives his sports car around a lot, why not a moving van? And to stay somewhere undefendable due to emotional reasons is daft when  you have to defend it every night.

Silly silly man!

but the thrust of my point is that id rather use something existing than build from new.

But if I had to it would be as OPs idea.

Rgds

LoK

His house had a lab, i'm sure thats the primary reason.

• Like 1

We need some sort of sheds instead of just tents for base building so that it makes at least some sense that you can secure your stuff better.  If the only defense for base building is the outer wall, nothing is going to be secure at all.  People will find their way in and then it's free reign, locking a tent makes no sense.

And to be clear, I'm saying it's just another line of defense to lock a shed, you could still break the lock/break in.  Nothing is completely safe.  Just only having tents for storage is a dumb idea.

• Like 1

As a child who spent his days crafting shitty shelters like this, adn helping his dad do construction, cutting sheet metal with a hacksaw would be a dangerous nightmare.

Dude, come on. I'm not trying to run down your idea but "a dangerous nightmare" is hyperbolic to say the very least.

Dude, come on. I'm not trying to run down your idea but "a dangerous nightmare" is hyperbolic to say the very least.

Here is a solution, go take a rusty piece of corrugated sheet metal say 6 feet by 4 feet and cut it into squares with a hacksaw then get back to me. 

mmmmmm.... Tetanus sounds LOVELY in a situation without advanced medical care....

• Like 1

Here is a solution, go take a rusty piece of corrugated sheet metal say 6 feet by 4 feet and cut it into squares with a hacksaw then get back to me.

I speak from experience. If you concentrate on what you are doing it isn't really dangerous at all. Tedious and tiring but not really dangerous. Especially when you consider the setting. Hypothermia, disease, starvation, infected zombie-like humans, homicidal cannibal bandits.. But careful with the hacksaw and the rusty metal.

I speak from experience. If you concentrate on what you are doing it isn't really dangerous at all. Tedious and tiring but not really dangerous. Especially when you consider the setting. Hypothermia, disease, starvation, infected zombie-like humans, homicidal cannibal bandits.. But careful with the hacksaw and the rusty metal.

mmmmmm.... Tetanus sounds LOVELY in a situation without advanced medical care....

this^

You simply need your pristine Yellow Work Gloves of +15 Tetanus Resist.

WorkingGlovesYellow.png

... or +20 carpentry softskill points.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

We need some sort of sheds instead of just tents for base building so that it makes at least some sense that you can secure your stuff better.  If the only defense for base building is the outer wall, nothing is going to be secure at all.  People will find their way in and then it's free reign, locking a tent makes no sense.

And to be clear, I'm saying it's just another line of defense to lock a shed, you could still break the lock/break in.  Nothing is completely safe.  Just only having tents for storage is a dumb idea.

I think it would be essential that after death you lose all access to any shelter that you've created and have to smash down the door to get in like anyone else. I don't agree with the H1Z1 style access codes that allow people to return and access their shelters after death. Death is supposed to be quite final in dayz, you lose everything, and that should include access to your shelters.

• Like 1