Sign in to follow this  
Baker.

Interesting, even surprising stats.

Most of those games are actually enjoyable to play for many and long sessions. DayZ is just a test when patch comes and then waiting for the next patch. No reason to burn out unfinished game now.

I'm opinionated as fuck.

So what exactly does DayZ bring to the table at the moment? Those rankings are based on the present state of these games. We don't even know if DayZ will be that great at launch, we're all just blindly hoping.

Please elaborate.

• Like 3

So what exactly does DayZ bring to the table at the moment? Those rankings are based on the present state of these games. We don't even know if DayZ will be that great at launch, we're all just blindly hoping.

Please elaborate.

we should worry not about it being good at launch, we should worry if it's ever gonna be at launch

• Like 1

.58 experimental is quite good right now, with working persistence, vehicle part mechanics, dynamic helicrash/copcar spawns and whatnot. Add loads of zombies while maintaining server performance for a stable release and DayZ should get back on track somewhat.

Edited by Powerhouse

If you look at the steam chart you will notice that the game started out fine, with lots of players,  it has steadily dropped since. The so called "crappy pathces" is basically only one, the "Bear gryller" patch of March. That dropped the playerbase to half, not surprisingly as it was unplayable. I do fear that a lot of the people who have tried Dayz SA will not be back later as the going is to slow for them. I've seen this happen to other games and although its sad, 10-15.000 players is quite enough to still make this game fun.

http://steamcharts.com/app/221100#All

Please elaborate.

I do find it interesting that these raw numbers were used as a call to defend the game by some and to call out its shortcomings by others. From this/my perspective it seems like there are two three camps:

1. Anyone who doesn't play DayZ in its current state are "noobs", "cs:go idiots", "have bad taste" or don't understand how development cycles work.

2. Genuine fans of the game who call for development closer to their aspirations for what the game should be, and are saying its not where they think it should be.  

3. Trolls who just want to degrade everything to do with the game.

Usually these threads are started by an opinionated OP that triggers these camps to come out of the woodwork and stand their ground. Fascinating to see these armies so battle ready that they hear a call to arms when there is none. 

Edit: Added 3rd category (how could I have forgotten)

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

I do find it interesting that these raw numbers were used as a call to defend the game by some and to call out its shortcomings by others. From this/my perspective it seems like there are two three camps:

Your right, that is interesting. I also don't judge success by that chart.

For my camp (did I say that?), I really just trust BI much more than most. Over the years they have been a extremely upstanding developer. Supporting games with patches years after launch, quickly stepping up when gamespy went down moving A2 to steam. The leaders in mod support for years, opening official content for the community for All In Arma. They aren't perfect but they are very dedicated.

So hearing statements like this, cant help but call bullshit.

we should worry not about it being good at launch, we should worry if it's ever gonna be at launch

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

I think we will see some really interesting mods once support is added. I don't think it is much of a stretch to imagine some awesome mod that brings a whole load of players in, much like DayZ did for Arma 2.

I also think we will see a load of players returning as it becomes more feature complete. As I said before, I and presumably quite a few others are waiting on certain features before diving back into the game for extended periods.

I am really, really looking forward to .58 coming to stable, and think a lot of other people are too. If all goes well and is as advertised (persistence, back to random crashes, etc) it could be excellent - all the best facets of the game at the same time.

The downside is that there just doesn't seem to be a lot of point in playing the current stable build, and I guess that goes for a helluva lot of people.

It's all about the time sinks.  In .57 stable, there are no more time sinks.  Static choppers and persistence:off doesn't help dayz's situation.  When people are able to fill up tents and run around the map for hours with some kind of goal in mind they'll play more. Vehicle repair, base building, and soft skills should provide more time sinks and interest.

while i will be back to patrolling the woods to empty those tents, to make them start anew (favorite thing i did in the mod, locating and scooping up enemy tent cities for my clan)

also can't wait for the steam workshop modding, it has been years since i played a good, moddable game besides DayZ and Arma

Edited by Zombo

Variety is the spice of life.

Dayz doesn't have variety like the other games do.

Most of those games have different mods or game modes

Time is the key here and well considering how long dayz has been in alpha it's still going strong and should get stronger once they allow mods like the rest do.

DayZ is a unique beast,nothing even compares.

No other title could ever hope to capture what this game has managed to achieve.

All of these clones out there,profit on the very same survival genre first introduced by DayZ.

If the current state was better,DayZ could easily be one of the top 5 games in those charts.

Having sold over 3 million copies,if only we had some more game-play, player numbers would skyrocket for sure.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

I think this one is simple - DayZ is a grind. Most people want instant fun, action, and gratification. That's not DayZ. DayZ can be long periods of running and not finding others, and then when you find others they're more likely than not to behave like this is CS:GO/CoD and shoot first asking questions later. Many of the good servers are private servers, which are very limited in space. Finding good fully populated public servers can be a challenge, especially lately. I almost think that the WELL over stocked guard building steps was an attempted to add back that immediate gratification and action to woo back some players, and from the Twitch streamers I watch it actually did. I think once DayZ is further towards beta and increases the server population limits this will change and the average users will increase back up. I mean, after all, look how often people come back to the boards and ask questions like, "Is it stable enough to play yet?", "Time to come back?", "Is .58 worth playing?", etc. People are watching and waiting and some are actually heeding Rocket's old suggestion to hold off and wait.

• Like 1

I also believe that the insane guard buidlings spawn was a test to see if this is what the playerbase want compared to "the famine" that came before. Clearly its not. Balance is key.

Do people seriously imply that DayZ in it's current state is better than ARK for example? And I don't even mean the game on itself but also comparing dev teams. DayZ has nothing to offer now that the other games don't have, it doesn't even have zombies which is just infinitely retarded, not to mention patches coming out so ridiculously rarely it's not even worth it to wait for them anymore. They always break more things than they fix and when they do add something new that number doubles at the very least. However if ARK's dev team fucks something up? They almost immediately fix it and upload that patch to steam. In fact they are so overzealous I got pissed at them at least once for constantly releasing new patches. I think the highest number of patches in a single day was 5 or 6 and it's not like it's only on and off with that. There's at least one patch a day that either adds or fixes something and then there are weekly content patches which add even more to the game. Sure, the game runs like ass and many severs have problems with lags, desyncs, whatever but at least there's CONTENT that gets updated really often to play with even though it's still only early access just like DayZ. If DayZ had ARK's pace of development if would've been released long ago and if anyone wants to pull the muh alpher/early access card they can fuck off to ARK and see how they work and how fast. Same goes for status reports and how active ARK's dev team is on steam forums.

I really tried to like and play DayZ even through the shittiest patches there were but I can only go for so long playing an unfinished turd without content and with only seldom updates. It did look really well at some point but now it just looks as if Bohemia is trying to pull something dumb even though I hope they won't because they never did with ArmA. Even if 0.58 looks to be promising I'm still extremely skeptical as I just know it they will fuck up more than they fixed and I'll play the game for a day or two and dump it for another 3 to 4 months. Development pace is just abysmal at this point.

I think we will see some really interesting mods once support is added. I don't think it is much of a stretch to imagine some awesome mod that brings a whole load of players in, much like DayZ did for Arma 2.

StandalonePoch  :|

• Like 1

All those games are higher than DayZ because there are things to do in those games.

I can load up Ark with some friends and run around taming dinos, building our base, or attacking other players.

Or I can jump on an Unturned server, gear up, build a base, start a farm, get a car,or just run around pretending to be Rambo and kill fools.

Whereas I can load up DayZ and run around looting gear I don't need. I don't have a base. I don't have a vehicle to maintain. I can't assault an enemy camp. There aren't even fucking zombies to shoot at.

I really tried to like and play DayZ even through the shittiest patches there were but I can only go for so long playing an unfinished turd without content and with only seldom updates. It did look really well at some point but now it just looks as if Bohemia is trying to pull something dumb even though I hope they won't because they never did with ArmA. Even if 0.58 looks to be promising I'm still extremely skeptical as I just know it they will fuck up more than they fixed and I'll play the game for a day or two and dump it for another 3 to 4 months. Development pace is just abysmal at this point.

I understand that it is a slow pace when you compare to other alphas. But, ARK is not building the engine on internal builds. It's like they are building two games simultaneously. This is why the pace seems so slow. They're working on multiple engine modules while slowly pushing stable. The entire scripting language is being changed, without it they cannot accomplish capable servers in the end. Just so you know Arma2 and 3 are top 50 games all-time list, you cant act like they are shit devs, I know you don't care.

• Like 1

StandalonePoch  :|

Well I was actually thinking in terms of something as different from DayZ as DayZ mod was from Arma 2.

• Like 1

I understand that it is a slow pace when you compare to other alphas. But, ARK is not building the engine on internal builds. It's like they are building two games simultaneously. This is why the pace seems so slow. They're working on multiple engine modules while slowly pushing stable. The entire scripting language is being changed, without it they cannot accomplish capable servers in the end. Just so you know Arma2 and 3 are top 50 games all-time list, you cant act like they are shit devs, I know you don't care.

Bohemia is kinda shit though however you look at them considering most of the job in ArmAs is made by modders and funnily enough modders can bring higher quality content into the game than the devs. Besides that nobody asked them to take on something unnessecary that they can't even deal with.

Also do yourself a favour and stop projecting bullshit.

Bohemia is kinda shit though however you look at them considering most of the job in ArmAs is made by modders and funnily enough modders can bring higher quality content into the game than the devs. Besides that nobody asked them to take on something unnessecary that they can't even deal with.

Also do yourself a favour and stop projecting bullshit.

These dudes are still putting out patches for arma 2, considering the company they keep (Ea, Ubisoft etc), they are the most end user-centric company i can think of.

I don't think we can draw any conclusions from the stats concerning player count in DayZ from the list provided.
What some may consider as being "shit games" others appreciate and are highly supportive of the work produced.

One mans meat...

• Like 2