Sign in to follow this  
Baker.

Interesting, even surprising stats.

See below most popular steam games by player count, I was a little saddened to see what I consider to be a bunch of shit games way ahead of the project. 

Thoughts?

Avg.         Peak

595,421 937,925   Dota 2

190,962 455,926   Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

57,615 75,022   Team Fortress 2

45,220 62,124   ARK: Survival Evolved

37,567 50,315   Garry's Mod

37,544 49,851   Sid Meier's Civilization V

35,142 44,727   Terraria

31,589 49,567   Grand Theft Auto V

28,478 39,328   Warframe

25,312 36,959   Trove

24,608 36,707   Clicker Heroes

24,443 35,171   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

21,355 54,155   Football Manager 2015

18,764 27,653   Rocket League

16,854 24,237   Unturned

15,018 23,851   Rust

13,921 27,686   Arma 3

13,021 15,697   H1Z1

12,433 18,324   Path of Exile

9,820 9,839   TERA

9,591 11,767   Fallout: New Vegas

9,247 11,902   Borderlands 2

9,098 14,248   War Thunder

8,760 13,121   AdVenture Capitalist

8,697 12,157   Left 4 Dead 2

8,246 12,359   PAYDAY 2

7,462 8,717   FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

7,208 19,395   Counter-Strike

7,178 12,326   DayZ

Edit. Unturned is beating us? Really?

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

People play the shit out of Ark.  I watched a video, it has a guy punching a tree to collect wood.

People aren't known for having good taste.

• Like 6

People play the shit out of Ark.  I watched a video, it has a guy punching a tree to collect wood.

People aren't known for having good taste.

There is constant pooping.

CONSTANT. POOPING.

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 3

The fact that DayZ is a hardcore game, keeping away arcade players. people simply do not like to search hours for a gun of favor to lose it in a sec, not everyone anyway.

• Like 4

What makes DayZ so much better than H1Z1 and Rust? There's currently nothing at all to do in DayZ where there is in both of the aforementioned games. Those games are better optimized than DayZ as well, and believe it or not, that makes a difference to people.

As far as Unturned goes, it had a major update fairly recently, and is quite fun for what it is. My son and I used to play it fairly often.

As much as I love DayZ, I'm not a blind fan boy. It's currently pretty shitty.

• Like 7

The fact that DayZ is a hardcore game, keeping away arcade players.

That and there are no infected or persistence. I mean this is not surprising considering. Will be interesting to see what happens after .58 and .59.
  • Like 3

I don't hold and opinion either way. I just present this information for what it is. 

What makes DayZ so much better than H1Z1 and Rust? There's currently nothing at all to do in DayZ where there is in both of the aforementioned games. Those games are better optimized than DayZ as well, and believe it or not, that makes a difference to people.

As far as Unturned goes, it had a major update fairly recently, and is quite fun for what it is. My son and I used to play it fairly often.

As much as I love DayZ, I'm not a blind fan boy. It's currently pretty shitty.

Yeah im not gonna lie i had a ball playing it, but I'm bummed it beats dayz

Edited by B@ker

DayZ saw a big decline with some of the bad patches.  I think the team/development hit a pretty rough patch.  Most of the people I know (myself included) who were always strong supporters of the project even felt really let down by the direction things were going.

I think they are getting back on track, but the damage is done for the time being.  I think regardless of development, the actual launch will see a strong resurgence if nothing else.  It's also not necessarily a bad thing that DayZ isn't really popular during development (although I think it could definitely be better than it is).

I do think patches get delayed too often, status reports are really mediocre and there isn't enough strong leadership in the team.  Look at a game like Rust that has amazing status reports and weekly updates to see what early access development really should be like.  I don't buy the excuses of not having enough time, and they are working on the project instead when it comes to status reports because even the patches don't come out amazing.  I'm not trying to complain here, I'm just saying that other games set a higher standard that DayZ is not living up to and I do think it affects the population.

Also, dota is shit and people have bad taste =P

• Like 4

I don't hold and opinion either way. I just present this information for what it is.

not true, you found it interesting and even surprising.

I think it could be worse, there really is nothing to do right now.

• Like 1

not true, you found it interesting and even surprising.

I think it could be worse, there really is nothing to do right now.

I meant in regards to "ermagerd the dev team suxS!" or "all dem othe other players is nooobs!" kind of thinking. 

I was in fact surprised, I would wager many would here would be as well.

• Like 1

I think it's been a good time for a break for most, and that is a good thing, there's a long way to go. I'm amazed that I play it still, I keep thinking I'll give it a rest for awhile. It says a lot when that many play it when there is nothing to do. Persistance is something to do, so we'll see what happens after that.

• Like 2

Something for a group to work towards, like collecting parts for and fixing a Ural will bring me back. And more zombies and animals. I like to shoot things. Just not people.  :(

• Like 5

the game was terrible for a few patches and saw a sharp, sharp, decline because of it.

once they optimize it a bit better and get some decent patches out the population will hit a uptick again.

people are just waiting for a GOOD patch to come back and play.

Personally I will come back to playing far more regularly when I can maintain a persistent base that isn't going to vanish at server restarts etc.

• Like 2

Persistent loot and random heli crashes will make DayZ 100% better then it already is. Hopefully this is coming with .58 patch.

• Like 2

the game was terrible for a few patches and saw a sharp, sharp, decline because of it.

once they optimize it a bit better and get some decent patches out the population will hit a uptick again.

people are just waiting for a GOOD patch to come back and play.

Yep I think it'll be back in the top 10 if  .58 turns out being a good release. Most people I played with abandoned ship around .55/.57 but have recently started to want to play again.

The fact that DayZ is a hardcore game, keeping away arcade players. people simply do not like to search hours for a gun of favor to lose it in a sec, not everyone anyway.

So they'd be playing dayz then because guns are everywhere and game at this point is far from being hardcore

So they'd be playing dayz then because guns are everywhere and game at this point is far from being hardcore

i don't agree with you here. the game even at the current state, is a hardcore game. it is just so far from what devs have in mind or so far from what people are used to from the past (mod)

i do agree with some people here, the game at current state, it's just not that good. you have low fps (which is mostly why people get away from the game), infected are a mess, desync and othere issues are here. no one is denying them all. it just is the nature of Early Access. 

Also, Comparing development pace with any other game is a wrong thing to do since they dont have the same engine or even the same scripting languages, so maybe some engines are easier than others. and do not forget the fact that alot (Like A LOT) of development is behind the scene and people cant see them until they are totally finished. 

• Like 1

I'm glad all the little fucks are going off to h1z1 and unturned and such , gives us more space for our experimental servers (and in my opinion if you guys even bothered to play experimental you would have a whole new view on dayz : vehicle repairing , dying and creating items in barrels , accelerated time and 100% working pwrsistence , hardly any Desync and whole groups of animals that live and move together )... When this hits stable branch we will see at least a few thousand person increase on that peak count !

Dayz is taking a long time to mature but you really can't be a sane adult and think that h1z1 or unturned are better than dayz even with things to do .. I mean look At h1z1: ugly ass blocks everywhere because there's literally no way to take someone's base down , the game runs ok but looks like a child made the art , there's bo zombies and never has been a good amount since release of the game, nobody cares about life in that game and believe it or not there's way more KOS in those games with "more to do" so sorry to tell you guys (not really sorry lol) that the quality of those games are so far down the line from what dayz is but the sheer fact of the matter is that one of those games is free so why not like it , and the other one is a huge gimmick that just plays off of people's frustration of other games (h1z1 trying to beat dayz to the punch on base building , they did it but at what cost? Their base building mechanic is half baked and not qualitative enough for me or any one with any sense of quality to enjoy !).

We have got to realize potential when we see it people , sure some of you are just wasting time on any game out there but for people who's looking to not waste time on something that is going to be dead in the near futur , we would like to spend it on things that have quality , not things that just present to have a lot . Quality. Not quantity!

• Like 3

It's all about the time sinks.  In .57 stable, there are no more time sinks.  Static choppers and persistence:off doesn't help dayz's situation.  When people are able to fill up tents and run around the map for hours with some kind of goal in mind they'll play more. Vehicle repair, base building, and soft skills should provide more time sinks and interest.

• Like 4

I'm glad all the little fucks are going off to h1z1 and unturned and such , gives us more space for our experimental servers (and in my opinion if you guys even bothered to play experimental you would have a whole new view on dayz : vehicle repairing , dying and creating items in barrels , accelerated time and 100% working pwrsistence , hardly any Desync and whole groups of animals that live and move together )... When this hits stable branch we will see at least a few thousand person increase on that peak count !

Dayz is taking a long time to mature but you really can't be a sane adult and think that h1z1 or unturned are better than dayz even with things to do .. I mean look At h1z1: ugly ass blocks everywhere because there's literally no way to take someone's base down , the game runs ok but looks like a child made the art , there's bo zombies and never has been a good amount since release of the game, nobody cares about life in that game and believe it or not there's way more KOS in those games with "more to do" so sorry to tell you guys (not really sorry lol) that the quality of those games are so far down the line from what dayz is but the sheer fact of the matter is that one of those games is free so why not like it , and the other one is a huge gimmick that just plays off of people's frustration of other games (h1z1 trying to beat dayz to the punch on base building , they did it but at what cost? Their base building mechanic is half baked and not qualitative enough for me or any one with any sense of quality to enjoy !).

We have got to realize potential when we see it people , sure some of you are just wasting time on any game out there but for people who's looking to not waste time on something that is going to be dead in the near futur , we would like to spend it on things that have quality , not things that just present to have a lot . Quality. Not quantity!

A lot of it comes down to lack of patience. Even i have stopped playing SA for the time being. I love the dayZ concept. Been playing since very early days of the official mod (before all the private hives even existed). I wouldn't say games like RUST are 'shitty' they just target a different audience and have substantially more functioning content that works NOW. Games like RUST and ARK and H1Z1 are clearly geared toward Clan/guild/tribe PvP within a basic survival framework.

Also i have to agree with the sentiments of others that progress and updates aren't being pushed along aggressively enough. Many of the other games on that list receive very frequent updates not an occasional dev tweet "were working on X, Y, and Z. you'll see soon". It's not uncommon for ARK to release several major update a week and nearly daily hotfixes. Just the other day there was a patch and 3 subsequent hotfix version released in the span of 24 hrs. Unlike the last attempt at global/persistent loot that was broken on many servers and not adressed promptly. ARK devs would have hotfixed that shit (even if it was a revert to previous version) within several hours.

• Like 2

I for me think, that Bohemias first plan was to build the SA like the mod with Arma2 engine.

After they saw how many copies were sold this plan was denied and they planned to use that enormes money to create an new engine for SA and later for Arma.

And there, the trouble started. The devs have to deliver an halfway playable early access build to make the peps "happy" but have to do double work to build an new engine and hold the old Arma2 engine working so the peps not complaining to much.

btt: I loved the mod and can´t count how many hours i played it, but the SA "feels" like an much more perfect game for me.

All the others i tried, rust, nether whatever, it´s not the same, so for me it´s not counting how many peps play dayz or whatever, for me this game will allways be an game of the decade which i will remember a long time like "Robinson´s Requiem" in the 90´s.

And i´m old enough to have the patience to wait for "my" game that was created from an guy with an clear vision what players like me want to have,

thank you Dean Hall  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Of all the games on that list though ..... DayZ is still the one I am looking forward to the most as a finished product (if the wait doesn't kill me! :P)