Bustered

Survey: Worst part of DayZ?

Now by this I don't mean "oh i hate how buggy it is". I ask this from a gameplay perspective. For example: The thing I hate the most is the paranoia in not being able to confirm a kill. I love/hate it.

• Like 1

Hiding from the jackass that just shot me in the buttcheek and hearing his footsteps pass by my hiding spot while he searches greedily for my nonexistant corpse.

• Like 6

The utter lack of survival-related mechanics and developments in a supposedly-"survival" game.

• Like 10

wouldn't say i hate anything about the game more like i want wishes, i wish the game had more disease and viral infections i wish just surviving in the world itself was more brutal, I wish the zeds were something from my worst fears realized in game form. I wish i could build a little shit shack and grow a huge beard and play the upright bass while making shine in the northern part of the chenarus. nothing i hate about the game I'm just waiting till i see apples growing in the trees so to speak.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 3

The utter lack of survival-related mechanics and developments in a supposedly-"survival" game.

lol this game has THE MOST survival mechanics of any game I've ever seen ... Stop thinking like bear grylls for once and think like a gamer lol , zombie survival games need to work on other things then just survival , like the nonexistent zombies !

• Like 2

In red are the biggest ones for me

1. Lack of zombies

I'd rather have those bugged teleporting zombies again then not have zombies at all.

2. Too much food and water, it's impossible to die from starvation or thirst

3. Everything taking place at the coast cities while the rest of the map doesnt exist

4. All cities/villages have the same buildings with the same loot, there's no unique towns with unique buildings and loot that is ONLY in that one particular town. This allows players to just go to 1 place and get everything there

Edited by Sperglord

The lack of poop. Talk about realism killer. I mean, in Ark people and dinos crap all day long constantly, but in DayZ when there should be turds and projectile diarrhea everywhere there is nothing!

:D

I sort of kid, but it's kinda a good point. I would have expected pooping to complement vomiting before cannibalism was introduced, but hey, it's in alpha and there's not a good order to add these things. So long as they all get in there we're all good.

B)

To be honest though one of the worst parts of DayZ, currently (and I don't think this is an alpha related thing it's a general concept flaw), is abuse of public hive servers. White listing, admin abuse, server hopping, hopping abuse (where someone logs out of your server into another to move to your secure location, be it an island, a locked building, etc) to log in and undermine your position / location is something I've struggled with. I realize going to private servers addresses a lot of this, but pegging myself to a particular private server limits the user experience and interaction to a degree that I don't like. I still play public almost exclusively, but it's got conceptual issues that come with it that make it rough at times. I'm still waiting for that feature that allows you to report servers in game much more easily to arrive as well - I know that was talked about in the late winter/spring and it sounded like it was coming sooner than later, but I've not seen talk of it lately so I dunno... but it'll be important for public to work well as a concept. The current system of reporting is exhausting, and the fact that I know for a fact that I could find at least 6 servers to report right now speaks to how it's not working (the current reporting system). 

lol this game has THE MOST survival mechanics of any game I've ever seen ... 

I'm on both sides of this- If you stripped all firearms out of the game and along with it all additional clothing (other than what you have on), all canned / non-perishable food, functioning wells (or made some of them work while others don't at random) and even zombies what you would be left with is a pretty comprehensive survival simulator that would allow you to craft your own weapons, hunt your own food and clothing and surviving in the world of Cheranus. 

Similarly you'd cut the audience by about 90%.

Where I do agree with the first quote is that there is an extraordinary sensationalism attached to the promotion of the pvp aspect of the game that seriously undermines its growing potential as a survival simulator. As long as that 90% of people in here continue to bombard youtube with their BS pvp antics while trying to dazzle and amaze the world with how funny / crazy / whacky / 1337 they think they are, one of the elements that makes this game so remarkable and different than the rest will remain relatively unappreciated. As mentioned in other posts- even the DEV status updates feature videos of pvp encounters in cliche pvp environments in 3 or 4 cities where even they admit performance is awful on the server platforms. 

I think a proportionate amount of people come into the game expecting every encounter to result in being killed or having to kill everyone they see (for the same reason)... making it really hard for people to preserve their good intentions. I shot a freshie in the face just outside of Berezino last night because he wasn't responding to me over voice and it looked like he was trying to sneak up on me yet I was about 500 hours in game before I willingly pulled the trigger on anyone without being shot first.

To look at it from the dev perspective I realize they need to get the data in to polish out the bug curve and they're not going to achieve that if they have 20 people on a server hiding out in the woods choking chickens and stuffing animal guts in their pants to keep warm. Best way to see what's broken is to throw guns at a bunch of teenagers and set them free in a lawless world where they can beat someone to death with a canoe oar and jump off a building to achieve transcendence to another beachfront property. Toss in some adults with anger issues and personality defects they can't vent into society without catching the wrath of social media and a garnish of folks who are just in here to help and you have yourself the perfect test platform. 

I still think they've lost some focus on promoting the bigger picture and the direction the game is heading as opposed to where it is. Perhaps this is a "roadmap" and not a "schedule," but the destination is still the destination... by whatever means and timeline it is reached. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 3

lol this game has THE MOST survival mechanics of any game I've ever seen ... Stop thinking like bear grylls for once and think like a gamer lol , zombie survival games need to work on other things then just survival , like the nonexistent zombies !

Really? "THE MOST survival mechanics"?

Let us list them:

-Water: not even an issue. There are safe drinking wells in every town (which are only 5 minutes apart, by the way), and water in the wilderness is perfectly safe until you are already fucked up

-Food: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Canned food is everywhere, animals are dumber than bricks, and I cannot even forage for the OVERWHELMING supply of food that I can see in the game world. Oh, and the foraging mechanics for stuff that is already there? Utter shite. I can see apples bobbing on a branch, but somehow I "can't find anything".

-Exposure: The game is apparently set in mid-to-late Autumn, and yet you can run around in your skivies with no issue. It doesn't get cold at night, it doesn't get chilly during the day, and every day is sunny and beautiful. Where is the rain, where is the wind, where is the early-morning frost? Temperature-management is NON-EXISTENT. There is no need to take shelter from anything, and no reason to make shelter except for storing equipment.

-Diseases: effectively a non-issue. I have yet to get an infected wound, and you can only catch Cholera when you are already about dead. And, even if you do get sick, taking some miraculously-still-effective medications will clear it up in no time, as opposed to taking time to work + not being a guaranteed cure, as in a somewhat realistic fashion. When we inject epinephrine, why don't we get nauseous (vomit up our stomach contents, losing "hunger and thirst"), or get weak and shaky (aim with weapons jitter around), or difficulty breathing (aka can't run)? When we inject morphine, why does it MAGICALLY heal broken limbs, as opposed to acting as a strong pain-reliever, and have a chance to give us blurred vision, dizzyness, nausea, shakiness, the chance to faint/fall unconscious, or shortness of breath?

-Medical system: Whatever the issue is, you use a dirty rag. Knife to the arm? Dirty rag. Bullet to the gut? Dirty rag. Why would I use any other method, when strapping a bit of ragged cloth around my wound causes it to magically disappear? Yes, the bleeding (might) stop, but I still can get infected, I am still suffering from shock, and I might have some internal bleeding going on. A bullet to the gut  should be lethal. Not instantly, but over time. Don't want to play as a "walking casualty"? Easy: Don't get fucking shot. Either avoid unnecessary combat, or use proper tactics to ensure the chances of you getting wounded are as low as possible. Failing that, commit suicide. If I got gut-shot in a DayZ-situation, I would be opening my wrists quickly. Nothing like spending a week or so in slowly-increasing agony to make you want to take an easier-way-out.

Wounds should become infected, unless you take the time to clean them and re-bandage them regularly, over a period of time. That knife to the arm? Takes a week of real-world time to heal. The only thing you can do for it is to : 1) keep it clean and bandaged, and 2) eat, drink and rest well, to promote healing. Sprained ankle? Wrap it up and take it easy, or, better yet, don't fucking run everywhere.

-Movement and running: I know that I couldn't sprint for several kilometers over time in real life, much less with multiple kilograms on my back. Move quickly aka "double time", sure, but not running/jogging. We can literally sprint for eternity. There is no stamina system, and the increased metabolic consumption as a result is basically unnoticeable, especially with the glut of food available.

-Supplies: guns, ammunition, etc are everywhere, a gift from the PVP-gods from Valhalla-on-high. Not that I have any particular issues with PvP, but there is no real reason to use any other weapon when you can just pick up a firearm and 100+ bullets every couple of feet in EVERY major city. No-one uses the bow, no-one uses the crossbow.

In my perfect Day Z, ammunition would either 1) Not respawn (preferred), or 2) respawn at a VERY low rate. What would this mean?

It would mean you actually have to conserve your ammunition, hold people up (with empty/nearly empty firearms) as opposed to just shooting them, fight with melee (cannot wait for bayonets), or, actually, you know, start to rebuild industry (and therefore, society) a little bit at a time.

Imagine: you and your clan set up camp in a little complex overlooking a road. You see survivors travelling along the road every day. So, you go down there and start charging a toll to pass through. Some of the people ask if they can set up farms along the road, in return for protection. You get some of the food in return. You agree, and start patrolling the farms, as well as charging for the toll.

Over time, some traders want to start meeting near your complex once per week, as it is the "safest" part of the map. You agree, in return for 1) either charging for an entry fee/a minor cut of the profits and 2) some of your guys being contracted out for security. This would net you both a tidy little profit, and gather people from far around to see how awesome you are. You soon start to recruit new members, as the glut of people coming in needs more "guns on the walls", and some of the new people are interested.

After some time, some of the traders want to set up permanent residence in your compound, where they can manufacture things for you and the surrounding villages. You agree, and a bullet-loader, an alcohol-distiller, and a mechanic set up shop inside your compound. In return, you levy a minor tax for entering your compound, as well as for the actual products made. NOTE: these would be extremely minor, so if a gallon of moonshine "sold" for 100 "X", you would get 5"X" for every gallon sold, and charged 2 "X" for every person to enter the gate, it would probably help to, or cover entirely, security costs.

What does all of that equal? Neo-feudalism, aka probably the most-likely form of government and society that would form after a TSC-situation. 

• Like 11

Let us list them:

-Water: not even an issue. There are safe drinking wells in every town (which are only 5 minutes apart, by the way), and water in the wilderness is perfectly safe until you are already fucked up

-Food: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Canned food is everywhere, animals are dumber than bricks, and I cannot even forage for the OVERWHELMING supply of food that I can see in the game world. Oh, and the foraging mechanics for stuff that is already there? Utter shite. I can see apples bobbing on a branch, but somehow I "can't find anything".

-Exposure: The game is apparently set in mid-to-late Autumn, and yet you can run around in your skivies with no issue. It doesn't get cold at night, it doesn't get chilly during the day, and every day is sunny and beautiful. Where is the rain, where is the wind, where is the early-morning frost? Temperature-management is NON-EXISTENT. There is no need to take shelter from anything, and no reason to make shelter except for storing equipment.

-Diseases: effectively a non-issue. I have yet to get an infected wound, and you can only catch Cholera when you are already about dead. And, even if you do get sick, taking some miraculously-still-effective medications will clear it up in no time, as opposed to taking time to work + not being a guaranteed cure, as in a somewhat realistic fashion. When we inject epinephrine, why don't we get nauseous (vomit up our stomach contents, losing "hunger and thirst"), or get weak and shaky (aim with weapons jitter around), or difficulty breathing (aka can't run)? When we inject morphine, why does it MAGICALLY heal broken limbs, as opposed to acting as a strong pain-reliever, and have a chance to give us blurred vision, dizzyness, nausea, shakiness, the chance to faint/fall unconscious, or shortness of breath?

-Medical system: Whatever the issue is, you use a dirty rag. Knife to the arm? Dirty rag. Bullet to the gut? Dirty rag. Why would I use any other method, when strapping a bit of ragged cloth around my wound causes it to magically disappear? Yes, the bleeding (might) stop, but I still can get infected, I am still suffering from shock, and I might have some internal bleeding going on. A bullet to the gut  should be lethal. Not instantly, but over time. Don't want to play as a "walking casualty"? Easy: Don't get fucking shot. Either avoid unnecessary combat, or use proper tactics to ensure the chances of you getting wounded are as low as possible. Failing that, commit suicide. If I got gut-shot in a DayZ-situation, I would be opening my wrists quickly. Nothing like spending a week or so in slowly-increasing agony to make you want to take an easier-way-out.

Wounds should become infected, unless you take the time to clean them and re-bandage them regularly, over a period of time. That knife to the arm? Takes a week of real-world time to heal. The only thing you can do for it is to : 1) keep it clean and bandaged, and 2) eat, drink and rest well, to promote healing. Sprained ankle? Wrap it up and take it easy, or, better yet, don't fucking run everywhere.

-Movement and running: I know that I couldn't sprint for several kilometers over time in real life, much less with multiple kilograms on my back. Move quickly aka "double time", sure, but not running/jogging. We can literally sprint for eternity. There is no stamina system, and the increased metabolic consumption as a result is basically unnoticeable, especially with the glut of food available.

-Supplies: guns, ammunition, etc are everywhere, a gift from the PVP-gods from Valhalla-on-high. Not that I have any particular issues with PvP, but there is no real reason to use any other weapon when you can just pick up a firearm and 100+ bullets every couple of feet in EVERY major city. No-one uses the bow, no-one uses the crossbow.

In my perfect Day Z, ammunition would either 1) Not respawn (preferred), or 2) respawn at a VERY low rate. What would this mean?

It would mean you actually have to conserve your ammunition, hold people up (with empty/nearly empty firearms) as opposed to just shooting them, fight with melee (cannot wait for bayonets), or, actually, you know, start to rebuild industry (and therefore, society) a little bit at a time.

Imagine: you and your clan set up camp in a little complex overlooking a road. You see survivors travelling along the road every day. So, you go down there and start charging a toll to pass through. Some of the people ask if they can set up farms along the road, in return for protection. You get some of the food in return. You agree, and start patrolling the farms, as well as charging for the toll.

Over time, some traders want to start meeting near your complex once per week, as it is the "safest" part of the map. You agree, in return for 1) either charging for an entry fee/a minor cut of the profits and 2) some of your guys being contracted out for security. This would net you both a tidy little profit, and gather people from far around to see how awesome you are. You soon start to recruit new members, as the glut of people coming in needs more "guns on the walls", and some of the new people are interested.

After some time, some of the traders want to set up permanent residence in your compound, where they can manufacture things for you and the surrounding villages. You agree, and a bullet-loader, an alcohol-distiller, and a mechanic set up shop inside your compound. In return, you levy a minor tax for entering your compound, as well as for the actual products made. NOTE: these would be extremely minor, so if a gallon of moonshine "sold" for 100 "X", you would get 5"X" for every gallon sold, and charged 2 "X" for every person to enter the gate, it would probably help to, or cover entirely, security costs.

What does all of that equal? Neo-feudalism, aka probably the most-likely form of government and society that would form after a TSC-situation. 

Pretty much all of this.  Not sure if the developers forgot what kind of game they are making, gave up on the type of game they are making or just went all out for the money now.  Not one smidgen of survival difficulty has been added to the game since launch.

Let us list them:

my exact thoughts 

especially ammo, it should be as rare as 5 bullets in entire city of Cherno.  Bullets should be rarer than diamonds

but no worries we'll get a new pink dress soon

My only concern is the majority of players - who only play Dayz to run around Elektro and play deatmatch. Sadly they're the majority and hardcore survival fans are a minority. 

And maybe the same thing will happen with DayZ that happened with CoD or TES series

Why did CoD and TES series change from deep games with some interesting mechanics to dumb casual games? Not because the devs said "Hey let's make a dumb casual game because we want it" but because the majority of players were dumb casuals so the devs had to make a  game for dumb casuals otherwise they wouldnt get money

Edited by Sperglord

The expectation that survival will be challenging upon 1.0 release.

not being able to find the random dude who i shot in the buttcheek as I eagerly look for his unconscious body, but i suddenly feel like i need to check the nearby bushes better...........

• Like 3

The severe lack of pink, red, white, yellow, orange, blue, black clothing and paint.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 3

Due to the inconsistent/random/buggy nature of DayZ game mechanics it's difficult to make strategic decisions that affect gameplay. I wish conscious actions were better rewarded by reproducible effects. Randomness sucks.

Hiding from the jackass that just shot me in the buttcheek and hearing his footsteps pass by my hiding spot while he searches greedily for my nonexistant corpse.

not being able to find the random dude who i shot in the buttcheek as I eagerly look for his unconscious body, but i suddenly feel like i need to check the nearby bushes better...........

Surveying the area with binoculars only to see some dude shoot another dude in the butt cheek and then fail to find him hiding under bushes nearby... Now I need to decide, do I:

1. Do nothing?
  2. Go kill the guy who shot the other guy in the butt?
  3. Rat out the guy in the bushes and help shoot him in the butt some more until he dies?
  4. Kill both of them, carve them up, and eat them?
  5. Preach tolerance and the value of life and try to make sure both make it out alive?
  • Like 2

The lack of development despite the game being so successful.

Ohhhh, looky here, we got Mr.KnowItAll.  :rolleyes:

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

Game grinding for hours getting up geared and then getting killed by the first moron you meet.  Respawn, re-gear, get killed, repeat.

1. Lack of health packs, radar, and medals

2. I can only carry one or two guns - ideally 5-6 would be good.

3. No tanks or warships anywhere - ikr!

4. Why do I respawn so far from my dead body and with no rifle? (Bug?)

5. Can we choose classes before logging in so if I want to be sniper I can spawn as that isntead I always spawn as "survivor" which si the worse class complerely sand so dumb. 

Honestly, I'm pretty happy right now.  Once zombies and CLE is fixed I can see it being pretty awesome.  Roll on beta.  

Main thing for me is the spine / bone stat

• Like 4