Bustered

Survey: Worst part of DayZ?

This is a golden idea. 

maybe if it would be more random and a little more harsh, why not add combinations?

a day where the wells are dry and it's hot like hell?

a day where where there is zero canned food and htunting is going terrible?

a day where it's raining like crazy and there are no raincoats to be found ( i know i'm evil ), plus of course extreme cold

a lot of these things could even be great when they are random by themself, for examle a random amount of wells is toxic, giving you 100% chance of cholera if you don't use water cleaning tablets

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

No legitimate Green Mountain Curse like the mod had. That wasn't a curse, those were hackers

No access to higher levels in Green Mountain tower. Not sure what game you were playing but it wasn't DayZ

No access to lower levels in Green Mountain tower. Not sure what game you were playing but it wasn't DayZ

No Mass Graves and wrecked military vehicles at Green Mountain anymore. Not sure what game you were playing but it wasn't DayZ

No story. DayZ has never really had a story except the patient Zero thing.

There's no such thing as hackers Edited by mullraugh
  • Like 1

maybe if it would be more random and a little more harsh, why not add combinations?

a day where the wells are dry and it's hot like hell?

a day where where there is zero canned food and htunting is going terrible?

a day where it's raining like crazy and there are no raincoats to be found ( i know i'm evil ), plus of course extreme cold

a lot of these things could even be great when they are random by themself, for examle a random amount of wells is toxic, giving you 100% chance of cholera if you don't use water cleaning tablets

Right, do we even need water tablets now? What would be the point of having these game mechanics if they don't use them fully? Is anyone going to actually pick up a heat pack unless they are cold right then? These things make more sense when you are expecting change.

Ever wonder why they even made fruit (kiwi, banana, orange)? They don't grow in Chernarus. They only make sense at the beginning of a outbreak scenario. More ramblings here http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/225000-should-dayz-10-feature-events-and-world-cycle/#entry2263170

To me the biggest bummer is the lack of consistency. That and zombies that are actually a threat (and not a glitch) would be the first things I'd get to work. Who cares about another gun model. Even if it is fantastic looking and accurate that's not the reason to play the game.

Another thing is weather. I haven't played for a while, but the last times I played, there was no change in weather any more. 

I remember having written an application to Mark Spanel, asking him to add me to the team to work on lore and coop mechanics. I told him that they would face that point, sooner or later when the core game just isn't enough any more. That was four years ago and today, we still don't see the core game working. My application wasn't answered and I went on to write and model in other places. 

• Like 1

I would have to say the worst part is the development team. Sorry if that offends you but you guys are doing a poor job with the amount of cash you racked for this game so far. Even though its an Alpha the Dev team is constantly breaking features that somehow make it to the stable branch. Even when they take longer than a month to put out a mediocre patch with limited content - somehow the so called stable update is full of bugs. They either need a new dev team or hire more people. 

Now by this I don't mean "oh i hate how buggy it is". I ask this from a gameplay perspective. For example: The thing I hate the most is the paranoia in not being able to confirm a kill. I love/hate it.

For me the "worst" part is the fact that the map is so small. I can already see how everybody owns huge bases and turn into loot-goblins once it's being released. I don't wanna play a slow paced version of RUST with a map packed with bases.

read here:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/226510-increase-map-size/

Edited by robophant

I would have to say the worst part is the development team. Sorry if that offends you but you guys are doing a poor job with the amount of cash you racked for this game so far. Even though its an Alpha the Dev team is constantly breaking features that somehow make it to the stable branch. Even when they take longer than a month to put out a mediocre patch with limited content - somehow the so called stable update is full of bugs. They either need a new dev team or hire more people. 

its all the bad engine's fault

• Like 1

• That the previously sweet down-to-earth country livin' and very much alive folks of Chenarus, apparently cut their maps into 8 or so pieces. Just enough map for everyone to know what factory father rides his bike to in the morning for work, and for mother to remember where in Berenizo her sister lives, and the local grocery stores.

(Obviously, you can just have a decent map up in the Steam overlay, that works relatively well. But the formally mentioned part still bugs me) 

• ​On .58 experimental. There hung that persistence I have yearned for, I know not how oft.

(I'm tired of .57 PVP-general leaning and guard house mil. loot explosions. I have played .57 a ton,  and DayZ is #1 in my games-I'm-playing-right-now cycle, and has been since I brought it. But I'm having that rare moment where I barely play right now, because I'm waiting for the next patch.)

• Meeting another player after a while of seeing no one, and having that typical awkward interaction: "Hey buddy." "Hey man." "So what are you up to/do you need food?" "Nothing much/No thanks I'm good." "Okay, later, good luck."

(It's partially my own fault. Say, if I myself offer no interesting interaction or options for socializing myself, then I'm guilty of not contributing to the interest or the experience of another player.

But half of the time, friendly survival interaction is very typical and uninteresting. Part of it is a general mistrust issue. And as well it should be. 

I've lost track of how many times I've routinely asked another player I've run across inane questions about so-and-so town, where are bandits, hey nice gun/hat/blah, just to keep the interaction from being less awkward and more open.) 

• While I love the emergent nature and chaos of DayZ that you can run across the other half of the time, I feel that there are not enough defined goals for players at the moment. You HAVE to make your own fun, or have your own motivation.

(On my part, once persistence returns, I have many ideas brewing for how to have fun and give other players a different experience.)

• Those really really douche players that sound like they have serious issues.

Trash talking and banditry is fine.

(I'd just prefer that some players that hold me up or get into a fight with me, to not be constantly spewing bile and rage at me.

It's a game, and I don't even know you. Chill, bro.

And no, you're really not intimidating me by being very angry and using a lot of curse words and slurs. Get help.) 

• Like 2

I told him that they would face that point, sooner or later when the core game just isn't enough any more. That was four years ago and today, we still don't see the core game working. My application wasn't answered and I went on to write and model in other places. 

somehow the so called stable update is full of bugs. They either need a new dev team or hire more people. 

Wait, changing my answer. The worst part of DayZ is how stupid the forum members are. :lol:

• Like 1

Wait, changing my answer. The worst part of DayZ is how stupid the forum members are. :lol:

Try to make a working zombie game with all the good animations, no desync, no bugs, good optimization, on an arma 2 engine

If you succeed in less than 5 years (if you succeed at all)  let me know. 

I am honestly scared because I know arma 2 engine but i also trust the devs and have faith they will overcome the HUGE challenges of the engine (even rocket himself said the engine is making lots of extra work to do simple things)

Edited by Sperglord

I am honestly scared because I know arma 2 engine but i also trust the devs and have faith they will overcome the HUGE challenges of the engine (even rocket himself said the engine is making lots of extra work to do simple things)

Try to make a working zombie game with all the good animations, no desync, no bugs, good optimization, on an arma 2 engine

If you succeed in less than 5 years (if you succeed at all)  let me know. 

Take on helicopters

Bare in mind all the things they didn't have to do that are essential to the games mechanics. 

I am in no way shape or form content with the project. That's why I'm super excited you showed up here. Finally someone who can fix this mess!

Please, in point form, tell us and the dev team what parts of the project you feel they are under-performing in and how they need to fix it. Perhaps start by suggesting how you would optimize the rendering code (github links only I'm sorry :( ), later you can give us/them whatever specific network optimizations you feel need to be implemented (again the more raw source you can provide here the better) and finally muti-scheduling: those of us who own AMD CPU's have been waiting patiently for someone like you to come alone and give these yo-yo's a simple and easy fix to get this sucker to run at at least 4 cores. 

Also if these feeble minded developers cannot wrap their brains around how to implement your brilliance, would it possible for you to outline for us (again in point form) where to source competent software developers? What would be most helpful for project leaders is if you could outline what specific qualifications and skill sets their potential candidates should posses. And then once we/they have your approved developers how do we/they correctly manage our/thier resources? I sincerely await your response, and I hope the devs are watching cause they need you. 

Thank you so much  :rolleyes:  :thumbsup:

This guy seems tuned in, can you say "Associate Producer"?

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 3

The worst thing about DayZ is that 3 years into development, it still feels like a much inferior game to the mod in nearly every way possible. That makes it hard to pick just one thing but the ridiculous running speed is the first thing I notice whenever I come back to the game and it does my head in.

• Like 1

The worst thing about DayZ is that 3 years into development, it still feels like a much inferior game to the mod in nearly every way possible. That makes it hard to pick just one thing but the ridiculous running speed is the first thing I notice whenever I come back to the game and it does my head in.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dayz+sa+release+date

We all know it's "2 years"...

oh, wait...

• Like 2

*snip*

i think many people still don't get that developing software doesn't become faster by throwing more money at some poor software developer xD

but do say, are there really open source githubs from DayZs code? would love to see into those, even if i don't even know what the project is built on (C, C++, Java)?

wow... i really need to stop... can't afford turning my work into a hobby, else i will never have time to actually play the game o.O

plus i don't have coffee at home

personally i can't bring myself to play the mod again, the lacking clothing options and tiny survival stuff (like making a fishtrap out of a bottle), plus the missing weapon attachments and in-depth reload mechanics would be to much stuff i came to really like about the Standalone

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

How people forget that DayZ has already taken money for this game, that gives people the right to comment and opinionate; especially given that through the years of development, the only additions to the game seem to be items taken under license from third party companies (Black Element Software: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/227400-black-element-software/ )

Worst part of Dayz?

Maybe the worst part is forum threads that promote complaining.  No offense to the OP as this didn't seem like his intention at all.  

It's easy to forget that this isn't a finished game, even though they doctor it up as one once a month.

• Like 1

Maybe the worst part is forum threads that promote complaining.  No offense to the OP as this didn't seem like his intention at all.  

It's easy to forget that this isn't a finished game, even though they doctor it up as one once a month.

Constant complaining about things keeps reminding devs that there is a problem and  they need to solve it

If you shut up and never point out a games flaw it will be shit

The stupid "dont like it then just shut up" mentality is what kills games

And this thread is just constructive criticism, this thread is very good

Edited by Sperglord
  • Like 1

Hmm, what's the worst part about DayZ? I guess my answer is that it isn't done yet.

What's the best part? I guess that would be it's potential. DayZ SA sold what, something like 2 million copies?

The question is why did it sell so many copies? I guess the answer is once again DayZ's potential. I like the reach that the developers are going for. I like that they are taking the imposing challenges head on.

Progress is slow and people are frustrated. Shoot, I bet the Devs are frustrated too. Having that vision they see, and we see, still so far out of reach. New bugs seem to keep cropping up at every turn and usually when they try to get something exciting pushed out to stable branch too.

What to do, what to do?

I think that we need to grin a bear it until beta hits. I think the game is going to see a reemergence bigtime when that happens.

AMD machines need serious attention like stat. Crossfire and SLI will be important I think. If this game didn't chug like a dog it would lift everyone's spirits.

Zhang

The question is why did it sell so many copies? I guess the answer is once again DayZ's potential.  The DayZ Mod

FTFY

What's stupid about wanting the right thing?  I guess you are superhappy with Dayz, as it is now, since you added nothing to this discussion.

Edited by S3V3N

How people forget that DayZ has already taken money for this game, that gives people the right to comment and opinionate; especially given that through the years of development, the only additions to the game seem to be items taken under license from third party companies (Black Element Software: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/227400-black-element-software/ )

are your for real? Black Element Software is a part of Bohemia Interactive, of course DayZ doesn't have it's dedicated 3D Modellers working every day on new 3D models for DayZ exclusive while not having other projects, do you even know how software development works in the slightest?

thats like expecting a car tire producer only working for one car type of one car producer...

also there was stated before: even the lead designer did not recommend to buying the game in it's early access stage

sorry, but you've robbed yourself from your money if you see it like this, try to be a better reader next time

Constant complaining about things keeps reminding devs that there is a problem and  they need to solve it

If you shut up and never point out a games flaw it will be shit

The stupid "dont like it then just shut up" mentality is what kills games

And this thread is just constructive criticism, this thread is very good

To the most part constructive criticism, yes, i just can't stand the people crying "I payed money for an unfinished game and it's unfinished!" (not referring to you of course)

Edited by Zombo