Sperglord

Am I the only one who thinks the mod had better atmosphere?

I don't know why is it, but Standalone's atmosphere seems much more "happier" and "light".

I remember my first time I run DayZ Mod, I instantly felt the heavy and dark atmosphere and sadness and misery in the air, I felt like I'm trapped inside a dark world where I'm being hunted as soon as I start playing. I felt like the whole world was against me, and I'm not only talking about other players, but the trees, the enviroment, everything gave an  unfriendly vibe.

In the standalone for some reason I feel like I'm just having little happy walks on a sunny saturday and nothing is wrong, everything is "warm", don't know how else I can put this.

Anyone else feel this?

Edited by Sperglord
  • Like 1

Well, while I do agree on this currently, I don't feel like this is going to be the case in the future. I'm pretty sure the devs are going to work on everything to make it feel, well, less "happy". Or so goes the hope.

At this point in time, I prefer the atmosphere of the mod (at least, in the good ol' days), however I do agree with Stryker. 

What we need is this!

• Like 4

At this point in time, I prefer the atmosphere of the mod (at least, in the good ol' days), however I do agree with Stryker. 

What we need is this!

I love the ambient noises/music, gives me the creeps, and it really did help with the atmosphere.

The key thing the mod had over Standalone's atmosphere was the ambient music and fog. It was legitimately creepy. If implemented into Standalone, the atmosphere would be implemented.

Two things are missing.

Truly large amounts of zombies making you feel alone and helpless, at least when you are a new player.

Night Time! Plus proper rendering distances for lights and other things. Nothing scarier than spawning in Kamarovo and crawling around trying to find something, anything, to defend yourself against the unseen dead horde.

• Like 3

As others have said, the ambient music, more/creepier zombies.  The mod color scheme was also a lot darker/more washed out in general.  I like the SA, but it's definitely brighter and more colorful.

Some other differences are the mod was clunkier, adding an extra sense of dread to any action you performed.  Things were less floaty as well which I think is really important.  The SA does not feel like anything is solid, especially players.  I think ragdolls really detract from player deaths in comparison to the mod.  They aren't terrible, but ragdolls never actually feel convincing to me and the corpses in the mod were more compelling.  Coupled with the flies and the gnarly looking blood/gore textures, corpses felt more visceral.

The mod also had less places to hide, so the constant threat of being sniped was always there.  Moving through the countryside actually felt risky for the most part, and player encounters outside of towns were more common.

There's a lot at work but I think the SA will never really recapture that.  There's also the issue of us as players just getting used to the game, so those early mod days of being paranoid/scared of everything are never coming back in the same way.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Mod felt more serious. Lacked men in pink dresses and zig-zagging boxing bambis. To me it seems many new players joined for the random coastal mess. Look at how the majority of well-known DayZ streamers play.

Mod felt more serious. Lacked men in pink dresses and zig-zagging boxing bambis. To me it seems many new players joined for the random coastal mess. Look at how the majority of well-known DayZ streamers play.

In my opinion, streamers are giving DayZ a bad image on what the game is about.  Every single one of them just runs around, collects a couple guns and goes to Berezino

• Like 6

they can't help chenarus is beautiful. i do miss the doom and gloom but i think it'll get there eventually for now enjoy the butterflies among the bullets.

Ambient music was the only thing making it "more dark" , as soon as standalone has all its content and the art team starts goring up the map im sure those getting nostalgic for the mods ambience will start appreciating dayz standalones more ... AKA: Early access !

Listen to the music that Inception. shared with us.

And look at the DayZ Logo.

dayz-2-1.jpg

Do you not see how helpless and hell-full it looks with the music? You should feel scared. Alone. Helpless. Fighting for your life. And the other survivors just make it worse.

This game is gone about, completely the wrong way. But I have faith that it will change.

Listen to the music that Inception. shared with us.

And look at the DayZ Logo.

dayz-2-1.jpg

Do you not see how helpless and hell-full it looks with the music? You should feel scared. Alone. Helpless. Fighting for your life. And the other survivors just make it worse.

This game is gone about, completely the wrong way. But I have faith that it will change.

I dunno man.  I think it's going to be to late for the developers to pull in the reins and take the kids playground away.

I turned the music off in the mod as it was annoying and didn't add anything except cover up the sounds you actually needed to hear.

• Like 2

In my opinion, streamers are giving DayZ a bad image on what the game is about.  Every single one of them just runs around, collects a couple guns and goes to Berezino

What else is there to do?

Without infected the mod wins. But, there is more to it, it's visuals too, it's just not as scary or depressing yet. But, I believe it will get there.

I dunno man.  I think it's going to be to late for the developers to pull in the reins and take the kids playground away.

They have legal right to. People are legally not in the position to complain if the developers do anything. It's in alpha. In alpha, shiz changes.

It's in alpha. In alpha, shiz changes.

nvHx8Wq.gif

Edited by klesh

It definitely did. Ambient music in the mod was amazing and there was a lot more zombies which were scarier and more dangerous. SA is too colorful and happy looking.

Yes the mod had a darker and more creepy atmosphere. But is that a bad thing if SA is brighter? It's like "life goes on even when the humans are gone" kinda like the Last of Us.

Even though there is not much overgrowth or nature claiming back the cities but that makes sense if the apocalypse hasn't been going on for long. We can't know what the devs decide to do with the map, or how long the infection has been going on.

• Like 2

i dont, im a normal player that streams a normal game and upload normal vids

i dont, im a normal player that streams a normal game and upload normal vids

Was talking about the popular streamers that people watch. 

• Like 1

SA needs zombies. There was never enough zombies, and when there was for a short period of time they were slow and not in groups. Mod zombies still wipe the floor with any other game zombies. HIZI,SA,BP...they all have zombies just as ornaments. In mod zeds climbed ladders, growled all the time. They killed you if you weren't careful. I got killed dozens of times because I was trapped in building and 15 zeds filled the room.

Ambiental music was awesome.

But best thing was that game was new and unexplored. Dayz is here for 3 and a half years, and honestly I am getting a bit bored. Lack of zombies is not helping at all.