Sign in to follow this  
SigZag

Making it an event when eating/drinking etc...

There are many actions in dayz that are completed instantly, or in hardly no time at all.

I would like to draw attention to having people setup a temporary "camp" or area in order to complete actions and reduce the amount of time needed.

I know this might sound unclear, so i will start by making a short list of actions and pretend to give them an amount of time required to complete the actions

Eating: ~60 sec

Drinking: ~20 sec

Sawing a gun in half: ~60 sec

Reloading a magazine: ~20 sec

Tearing clothe into rags: ~10 sec

Adding/removing gun attachements: ~40 sec

Taking off/putting on clothe: ~2-5 sec (per clothe item)

Opening a can with can opener: ~15 sec

Setting up a "temporary camp" would speed up all these processes by X% of time (lets say if u are by a camp, any of these actions will allow you to complete it 20% faster for example)

Temporary camps could include just being in the proximity of a fire pit, a tent or a house with a fireplace in it.

Once in this proximity, if the player sits down, all his actions will then be completed much faster.

It will give reason to go somewhere so everyone can do the things they need to do, for example, you just found a hunting scope and you are getting hungry, your friends clothe are wet and he wants to change into something dry, he also wants to saw his shotgun in half and top off his magazines.

The idea here is to make all these little things into an event, where players need to organize and say "alright, lets get to Altar hill and we'll sort out what needs to be done, have a sit and get our stuff together before we head back out".

I think adding such a feature will increase the survival aspect of the game, and who knows, maybe strangers will bond over a fire while they cover eachothers backs.

• Like 4

This isn't a bad idea but I somehow feel this doesn't fit in with DayZ game play as I understand it.

Crafting special items and modifying existing items will be tied to workbenches in specific locations in the future.

Barricading once implemented fully will provide a safe semi permanent infected free zone where you could hunker down but won't likely feature a boost to action speeds.

• Like 2

I really like this idea. It would really add this feeling of responibility over yourself. You can't just sit behind a truck and eat all your beans. It would take way to much time and you would be out in the open for anyone to kill you. As it is now you can basically get your stomach full while you're getting chased by three infected and in the middle of a firefight (overexadurated obviously). Enough about writing in the comments what you've already explained. Great idea and I really hope the devs consider going somewhere along these lines!

You can't just sit behind a truck and eat all your beans. 

You can absolutely do this thing. 

• Like 1

Sawing a gun in half: ~60 sec... etc

I´m with you. I miss the time management and some animations. I hope such things are planned. :P

Edited by NoCheats

I think we should have to find an outhouse once a day or our pants are ruined.

Thats what I thought about often the last times. There has to be a stringent system. For me its not right if you are able to take out a mag, eject ammo, refill mag and put it back to ur gun and maybe craft a courierbag while you are eating a can of beans. I think all crafting and other actions should take there time.

Absolutely. Maybe not 60 seconds to eat something - unless the action can be cancelled. So stopping after 30 seconds will eat 50% of the food. Berries and such should only take a couple of seconds to eat. 

If nothing else, loading ammo into magazines should take time. Dragging an empty mag into your bag, loading 30 rounds and then putting the mag bag into your gun should take a lot longer than 5 seconds. Maybe 1 - 3 seconds per round. Movement should be impossible or slowed immensely when loading ammo.

I also like the idea of having to put on clothes as well. Would stop freshspawns from sprinting over to a body, taking everything and then sprinting off again in sub 5 seconds. Perhaps taking clothes from a corpse could take longer (10 - 20 seconds) but putting them on could take less time (5 - 10 seconds). So taking an item of clothing from a corpse and putting it on should take 15-30 seconds, or something along those lines. Taking a weapon or a hat or something loose should only take a couple of seconds.

Adding/removing attachments is interesting. Would require some sort of pre-planning and greater caution. Say you have something with a long scope on it - you'd have to actually think ahead if you wanted to fight in close quarters rather than having a sniper that can instantly have its scope removed. As a side note, perhaps scopes and other attachments should increase the weight of the weapon (if they don't already).

• Like 1

Some good points/ideas here, especially regarding attachments. In real life you can't just pop the scope off of your bolt-action rifle and have it instantly ready for close-quarters engagements. Depending on the type of scope and how experienced you are with it, it can take a very long time (like up to an hour in some cases). There should also be time for unpacking ammunition from a box, spraypainting an object, and any other form of crafting (making ghillie, leather clothing, item repair, etc.). Maybe there could be an option to speed up your character's actions while producing more sound, thus being more likely to attract zombies or players. This could be the actual function of the "camp", giving you a safe place to stop and eat, craft, etc.

I think the problem is that some actions like drinking or eating are taking an amount of time while some actions like crafting a backpack doesnt take a second. 

So either every action takes an specific amount of time or every action you make in your inventory (crafting, eating, switching clothes, reload mags, etc) should happen instantly.

It´s just a desicion of gamedesign in my opinion. But it needs to be constant. The amount of time the actions are taking doesnt need to be really realistic. Shure it should take longer to craft a backpack than to reload your mag. 

And yes... I could live with it, if it takes very long to repair an huey. So its nearly impossible to repair it, unless there are several mates with you. Three of them repairing the helicopter and one guards the area. It would be thrilling the shit out of you if you are repairing a huey and a few seconds before its repaired, a firefight starts and you have to decide, if you cancel the action or take part and help your mate. And if you start again it shouldnt start from the beginning. You should be able to continue your repairing process.

I believe this is all assumed, but it's unknown how long these times will be. Im pretty sure they have stated that actions will be variable, you won't click an action, you will hold down button to engage. You let go to disengage, there is no cancel. (Think Minecraft eating) So with this logic, these actions will take "time".

Just the fact that this is being developed for console tells a lot. Any dragging crafting, right clicking actions will need alternatives. From my understanding crafting will be done either by 1.) dropping item on ground, then holding other item in hands and commencing animation that way. Or 2.) having two hand slots and using them together, that would be awesome, but last I heard they were only investigating the idea, it leads to many other problems.

With this logic I like this subject. I think some of your times might be slightly long, but when you think about the way it will work with disengaging, it might not seem so bad. we'll see....

BTW, am I the only one who hates round numbers in games, there has to be a perfect number or time limit and it can't always be rounded by 5's??

Edited by Coheed_IV

There are many actions in dayz that are completed instantly, or in hardly no time at all.

I would like to draw attention to having people setup a temporary "camp" or area in order to complete actions and reduce the amount of time needed.

I know this might sound unclear, so i will start by making a short list of actions and pretend to give them an amount of time required to complete the actions

Sawing a gun in half: ~60 sec

Reloading a magazine: ~20 sec

Tearing clothe into rags: ~10 sec

Adding/removing gun attachements: ~40 sec

Taking off/putting on clothe: ~2-5 sec (per clothe item)

Opening a can with can opener: ~15 sec

Setting up a "temporary camp" would speed up all these processes by X% of time (lets say if u are by a camp, any of these actions will allow you to complete it 20% faster for example)

Temporary camps could include just being in the proximity of a fire pit, a tent or a house with a fireplace in it.

Once in this proximity, if the player sits down, all his actions will then be completed much faster.

It will give reason to go somewhere so everyone can do the things they need to do, for example, you just found a hunting scope and you are getting hungry, your friends clothe are wet and he wants to change into something dry, he also wants to saw his shotgun in half and top off his magazines.

The idea here is to make all these little things into an event, where players need to organize and say "alright, lets get to Altar hill and we'll sort out what needs to be done, have a sit and get our stuff together before we head back out".

I think adding such a feature will increase the survival aspect of the game, and who knows, maybe strangers will bond over a fire while they cover eachothers backs.

some of your time are god but like attaching a scope or hand guard and cutting a barrel are more like some 5 min to 10 for a bad job!! and there is no need for a timer its just some task that you dont do when your in a rush,but more in preparation of it!

I like these ideas

Absolutely. Maybe not 60 seconds to eat something - unless the action can be cancelled. So stopping after 30 seconds will eat 50% of the food. Berries and such should only take a couple of seconds to eat. 

Or an actual option to eat 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of a can.

One thing I'm really hoping they remove in the future is the instant auto pick up of items.  People just run around with their inventory screen open, double clicking items as they go by.  Having to make the character stop, take off the backpack and actually pick up and place the item in the bag would not only look better, it also at more tension as to when it's a good idea to start rummaging through your backpack for items.

Hello there

Im all for having "things" take time.

Obviously, some caveats would have to be made for gameplay reasons and these actions would have to be interruptable.

Rgds

LoK

It... It takes you 25 seconds to reload a mag? I can do a mag change in 2.138 seconds (I try to get as fast as I can to train for the military and speed competitions)

-Edit OK LOADING a mag not swapping. OK, that's actually about how long it takes to reload a 30 round AR mag without a speed loader (which gives a new idea for an ingame item :p )