billyangstadt

DayZ REALLY needs to add basebuilding or barracading

Most of us are plum tired of waiting at this point, and there are many Arma 3 mods out there that offer this feature that are thinning out the community.

DayZ will always reign supreme, but most of us aren't getting any younger and don't have 2-5 years of development to wait for this type of thing.

Most of us? Are you sure? I'm willing to bet that you haven't contacted even 1% of the community. I have 2-5 years to wait, personally.

Base building, or barricading, is the corner stone of the survival genre. We want to take over area's, fortify and defend them against the living and the dead.

Not dying is the cornerstone of survival. Again, "we"? Are you sure?

I realize good things can't be rushed, but it needs to be moved up in the priority list. Vehicles are awesome, but I'm sure if you took a poll, basebuilding would probably take priority. We want to stash our items, not in a bugged/giant tent, and raid bases. We want to create checkpoints.

Again with the "we" nonsense. Those don't reflect the opinions of everybody.

Please, let's atleast make some sort of announcement on this. I've had 2 children since DayZ SA was released, TWO!....and Alpha is still in the far future.

Dayz progress isn't measured in offspring, sorry. It'll be done when it's done. They can't just speed up production on stuff because you're impatient.

• Like 1

They're important, but setting up a camp is probably the most important aspect of survival. We're not looking to build sniper towers, or the cinder monstrosities that you see in Epoch, just something simple. At this point, I'd honestly be happy with being able to dig a hole (think H1Z1's stash), and drop some items in it.  

Sure... but that means having a camp that actually does something for you, not just a stash for gunz-n-ammo. Look at ARK, there are times it is so cold outside that without the clothes, enclosed base area, and a fire or two going you will start taking damage from freezing. A base includes things that make my stored food not go bad as quickly or a place to craft better items. DayZ has none of that and barricading isn't going to do it. Right now giving us a NEED for a base is as important as the base itself. That means extreme temperatures, lots of hostile AI around like Zeds and carnivores, and places to gather things like rainwater so we have fresh clean water to survive off of or a place to work on more complex items. Storage alone doesn't give setting up cam much value in a survival situation. You want shelter against the ELEMENTS and right now you have no need of it. 

I find it funny people are still bitching about everything. You signed up to Early Access of your own volition. Nobody forced you at gunpoint.

Literally, the only thing we can do is wait. Once you've accepted that, your life will become much more peaceful. Channel that negative energy into raising your DayZ babies.

Everyone expected the game to move along at a smooth pace, people who blindly support something are more of an annoyance than those who complain.

We can wait, and we've been waiting. We continued to wait through the face of the project abandoning ship and leaving it for everyone else on the project to pick up and go "Oh, thank you Rocket. We appreciate your efforts. Can we rub your back as we pick up the project and move on?" as he did the most selfish thing he could have. A sensible goal could've been to stick with the project at least until it leaves the "Alpher m8" stage. I found that 100% unfuckingacceptable.

With that said, I wouldn't utilize any sort of bases.

• Like 1

Whew, been gone for a year, and things sure haven't changed.

I would like them to pick up the pace, but DayZ is a far more complex game, engine wise, than a unity game, or unreal engine game... DayZ's engine is still being developed. Development takes time, and honestly, i'm happy with what we have. I have gotten 700 hours out of ONE game.

Inb4 I get attacked.

Edited by AsOiX

As DayZ continues development and gets more features like barricading and basebuilding it's going to drastically change the experience (for the better) and so I can understand why many people have a hard time being patient.

It's like a fine meal; when the ingredients are still raw and being prepared the taste is nothing compared to the finished product. Due to the laws of physics and the limitations of programming science we simply must wait until things are ready before a proper tasting is possible.

The devs likely know more about programming than us, and the limitations of their current code. They have a specific strategy in implementing certian features at certain times for specific reasons; the intended infrastructure for barricading is probably not yet up and running and so anything that the devs implement will be completely redundant and need to be redone in the future.

This is what we agreed to when we bought a game in early access; we're testers as much as gamers. We're supposed to de-bug, not dev-bug.

Most of us are plum tired of waiting at this point,

Please, let's atleast make some sort of announcement on this. I've had 2 children since DayZ SA was released, TWO!....and Alpha is still in the far future.

guess what, i've had 2 children also. So I know what ya mean. 

I Signed up just to reply to this. ha

Edited by Cr4cksh0t

Here's my 2c that nobody asked for:

The fundamentals don't work. Until they work flawlessly there's absolutely no point in adding base building. It will just create more problems. 

I had to log out last night because a can of cola glitched in my hand and every few minutes it would put away whatever I was carrying and this damn cola can would appear in my hand again. That's just one example.

The fundamentals have to be rock solid before even thinking about this.

Everyone expected the game to move along at a smooth pace, people who blindly support something are more of an annoyance than those who complain.

We can wait, and we've been waiting. We continued to wait through the face of the project abandoning ship and leaving it for everyone else on the project to pick up and go "Oh, thank you Rocket. We appreciate your efforts. Can we rub your back as we pick up the project and move on?" as he did the most selfish thing he could have. A sensible goal could've been to stick with the project at least until it leaves the "Alpher m8" stage. I found that 100% unfuckingacceptable.

With that said, I wouldn't utilize any sort of bases.

Dean leaving was a known fact a good year beforehand. Video games take a long time to make, believe it or not. What do you think the developers are doing every day? Partying? Dean staying wouldn't have sped up the process. In my opinion, he hindered it more than he helped it. The people who praise him for his ground-breaking idea of throwing infected into Arma tend to breathe heavily through their mouths.

When you give someone your money to play Early Access, you're doing it in good faith. I'm assuming you're younger; if DayZ's development is "un-fucking-acceptable" to you, I wish you luck during your first house purchase/construction.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 2

Dean leaving was a known fact a good year beforehand. Video games take a long time to make, believe it or not. What do you think the developers are doing every day? Partying? Dean staying wouldn't have sped up the process. In my opinion, he hindered it more than he helped it. The people who praise him for his ground-breaking idea of throwing infected into Arma tend to breathe heavily through their mouths.

When you give someone your money to play Early Access, you're doing it in good faith. I'm assuming you're younger; if DayZ's development is "un-fucking-acceptable" to you, I wish you luck during your first house purchase/construction.

If Bohemia Interactive got into the homebuilding business, here is what would happen:

* They would provide a high-level plan for completing the bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms, living room, entertainment room, 3 car garage, in-ground pool with Jacuzzi, etc.  Basically everything you could ever want or imagine..

* People would buy the house and move in long before the house is finished.

* While living in the un-completed home, you will often get frustrated by things like lights and plumbing not working or working inconsistently, rain leaking through the ceiling, doors falling off their hinges, or objects (including you) randomly falling through the floor.

* Whenever you attempt to use the stairs or a ladder, 50% of the time you will break both your legs.

* About once a month, the workers will add something.  Rather than major structural or utilities improvements, you well get six new types of toilets.  They will be installed in every single room.

* For every major structural improvement added, some other major system will stop working.

* Your neighbors will randomly come over and break all your shit for no reason.

* 2/3 of the way through, they will decide to rebuild the house using a different building material.

* The head contractor will leave halfway through the project to go build a different house.

* Occasionally the entire house will explode for no reason.  Construction will need to start from scratch.

* Whenever you complain, all the other homeowners in identical houses in the subdivision will yell at you that you agreed to purchase an uncompleted house in and you should be happy that you get to live in it at all since Del Alpha Vista is the greatest neighborhood ever.

Edited by bfisher
  • Like 2

* Whenever you complain, all the other homeowners in identical houses in the subdivision will yell at you that you agreed to purchase an uncompleted house in and you should be happy that you get to live in it at all

And they'd be correct. You just proved my point tenfold, lol. Don't want to play a buggy mess of a game? Don't pay for Early Access of a game. Seems pretty straight forward.

Do you guys feel that constant complaining is going to expedite development? It won't, so why bother? Just keep submitting bug reports until 1.0; that's all you can do, and what you paid for. You're already getting the finished game at a discount, you just need to wait for it to be a finished product.

And they'd be correct. You just proved my point tenfold, lol. Don't want to play a buggy mess of a game? Don't pay for Early Access of a game. Seems pretty straight forward.

Do you guys feel that constant complaining is going to expedite development? It won't, so why bother? Just keep submitting bug reports until 1.0; that's all you can do, and what you paid for. You're already getting the finished game at a discount, you just need to wait for it to be a finished product.

Games rarely ever release as "finished". DayZ will never be finished, if they ever announced it as such, they'd be responsible for any issues. All game now hide behind the Alpha/Beta labels, unless you're Rockstar.

What you see as complaining, they may see as feedback. Just because you don't agree with how someone states an opinion, doesn't mean it's invalid or should be kept to themselves. 

Edited by DanicaHamlin

Games rarely ever release as "finished". DayZ will never be finished, if they ever announced it as such, they'd be responsible for any issues. All game now hide behind the Alpha/Beta labels, unless you're Rockstar.

What you see as complaining, they may see as feedback. Just because you don't agree with how someone states an opinion, doesn't mean it's invalid or should be kept to themselves.

What the actual fuck are you going on about? DayZ is in the alpha phase. DayZ isn't labeled with a big fat disclaimer EVERY TIME we log in because it's finished. It's missing half of its content for Christ's sake.

Now, if this thread was discussing the Arkham Knight release, you'd be 100% justified in bitching about it. Why? Because Batman was a "finished" game plagued with a plethora of issues. It was virtually unplayable on PC. It was arguably in worse shape than most Early Access games.

• Like 1

Quite a lot of assumtions you make. A lot of mouth breathers also tend to create an alias from a zombie apocalypse story too, but I won't get too far into that. It hurts you're rationalizing so much for Dean's early departure. "Oh, they're better off without him anyway." I wouldn't expect a contractor to leave halfway through a job either, people don't start projects to go "Oh hey, in my opinion this one isn't working how I wanted. Time to go do something else.".

You got me though, I saw that it was early access when I put 45 minutes worth of work from my credit card to the guys on the project. I appreciated the work gone into the mod and expected to have the same experiences and more on this ambitious new project. It's very true that games take a long time to make, and even longer to make them well. Much of the vocal community has left the game to age, have you noticed how the forums went from at least a page worth of threads to read every time you'd log in to a couple threads for an entire day? It has stagnated. I haven't played the game for a couple months now, not much after my friend came back from his deployment and we'd play the game to have some fun together on his time off. I'm continuing to wait, but there hasn't been enough to entice me to play again yet.

• Like 1

What the actual fuck are you going on about? DayZ is in the alpha phase. DayZ isn't labeled with a big fat disclaimer EVERY TIME we log in because it's finished. It's missing half of its content for Christ's sake.

Now, if this thread was discussing the Arkham Knight release, you'd be 100% justified in bitching about it. Why? Because Batman was a "finished" game plagued with a plethora of issues. It was virtually unplayable on PC. It was arguably in worse shape than most Early Access games.

I disagree. If a game is being sold then it has opened itself up for potential criticism. I'm not sure where this mentality came from that EA titles shouldn't be criticized...

On-topic: Basebuilding is about some semblance of persistence in a permadeath environment. Look at games like PZ for an idea of how creating a safehouse can affect gameplay in a major way. It would make DayZ much better... on Private servers much more than Public, perhaps.

Edited by scriptfactory

Dean leaving was a known fact a good year beforehand. Video games take a long time to make, believe it or not.

The project started in August 2012. Now the game isn't expected to be finished until 2016. On the contrary Arma 3 started development on May 19, 2011 and hit released on September 12, 2013. While the ArmA 3 release was shitty, it featured a new, much larger map, which the dayZ project simply lifted from ArmA 2 and upgraded it and a engine facelift with better weapons ballistics,sound effects and renders. DayZ's original release date is four years late while falling behind it's sister project:http://www.pcgamer.com/dayz-standalone-delay-explained-engine-improvements-detailed/ 

if DayZ's development is "un-fucking-acceptable" to you, I wish you luck during your first house purchase/construction.

Terrible argument. You can hold a contractor liable for shitty workmanship or failing to finish a job on time. Early access and developers that depend on them are like a snake oil salesman that sell faulty wares and flee to the next town over before the locals wise up. There is no motivation to complete this project as the gross amount of their profits have already been provided up front, the game has terrible word of mouth,customer support consists of "Chain email 9 server providers help boxes and hope for the best" popularity and is dipping on the steam charts as time goes on and dedicated players begin to move on and less and less new players come in to the fray. Lets not forget the bullshit the players were fed where DayZ was put up on sale while at the same time going up in price so the "sale" was for it's original price tag. 

Edited by Dale Gribble

You said that we have to wait for the "finished product"

DayZ will NEVER be finished, it will be in continuous development. What can't you grasp about that?

Quite a lot of assumtions you make. A lot of mouth breathers also tend to create an alias from a zombie apocalypse story too, but I won't get too far into that. It hurts you're rationalizing so much for Dean's early departure. "Oh, they're better off without him anyway." I wouldn't expect a contractor to leave halfway through a job either, people don't start projects to go "Oh hey, in my opinion this one isn't working how I wanted. Time to go do something else.".

You got me though, I saw that it was early access when I put 45 minutes worth of work from my credit card to the guys on the project. I appreciated the work gone into the mod and expected to have the same experiences and more on this ambitious new project. It's very true that games take a long time to make, and even longer to make them well. Much of the vocal community has left the game to age, have you noticed how the forums went from at least a page worth of threads to read every time you'd log in to a couple threads for an entire day? It has stagnated. I haven't played the game for a couple months now, not much after my friend came back from his deployment and we'd play the game to have some fun together on his time off. I'm continuing to wait, but there hasn't been enough to entice me to play again yet.

K. 

I disagree. If a game is being sold then it has opened itself up for potential criticism. I'm not sure where this mentality came from that EA titles shouldn't be criticized...

On-topic: Basebuilding is about some semblance of persistence in a permadeath environment. Look at games like PZ for an idea of how creating a safehouse can affect gameplay in a major way. It would make DayZ much better... on Private servers much more than Public, perhaps.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and blatantly bitching for no reason other than to see your words on the screen. Constructive criticism has already influenced many positive changes to DayZ. 

The project started in August 2012. Now the game isn't expected to be finished until 2016. On the contrary Arma 3 started development on May 19, 2011 and hit released on September 12, 2013. While the ArmA 3 release was shitty, it featured a new, much larger map, which the dayZ project simply lifted from ArmA 2 and upgraded it and a engine facelift with better weapons ballistics,sound effects and renders. DayZ's original release date is four years late while falling behind it's sister project:http://www.pcgamer.com/dayz-standalone-delay-explained-engine-improvements-detailed/ 

Terrible argument. You can hold a contractor liable for shitty workmanship or failing to finish a job on time. Early access and developers that depend on them are like a snake oil salesman that sell faulty wares and flee to the next town over before the locals wise up. There is no motivation to complete this project as the gross amount of their profits have already been provided up front, the game has terrible word of mouth,customer support consists of "Chain email 9 server providers help boxes and hope for the best" popularity and is dipping on the steam charts as time goes on and dedicated players begin to move on and less and less new players come in to the fray. Lets not forget the bullshit the players were fed where DayZ was put up on sale while at the same time going up in price so the "sale" was for it's original price tag.

It's still cheaper than it will be at launch. So, yeah, discount. As far as it being a terrible argument, you're right. People raging that DayZ is so slow to develop have literally no leg to stand on. The projected release has always been minimum 2016. They're still on track as to where they told us they'd be.

Also, I guess you fell for the greasy salesman's pitch, eh? Hopefully you learned your Early Access lesson. It's definitely not for most people. 

You said that we have to wait for the "finished product"

DayZ will NEVER be finished, it will be in continuous development. What can't you grasp about that?

There's an obvious difference between releasing patches shortly after a game's initial launch, and a virtually broken game in alpha state. Content patches that release new content in dribs and drabs are a world apart from what DayZ is currently going through. Because, like, they're still, y'know, MAKING THE GAME.

<_<

• Like 1

Hello there

I do hope we are not entering a pointless semantic debate here.

Days will be "finished" - We take that as the Full retail launch date.

Dayz will also see future continual development for a time (years) after this finish date. - Bug fixes, enhancements possible free "dlcs", possible paid "dlcs" etc etc

Right, thats that sorted, lets get on topic or Ill consider the thread derailed.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I can assure you that there's plenty of motivation to complete development within each and every member on the team. As for customer service, you can always contact our team via. the Feedback Tracker.

• Like 3