Sign in to follow this  
hazzwold

Make doors always open away from you

Essentially as the title says, when you open a door, have it swing outward in the direction you are looking, rather then the current system which is a fixed direction.

Currently nine out of ten times I open a door I find myself getting pushed back and slammed into the wall and thus glitching through the door. Especially annoying with big farm gates or warehouse doors. 

Or running from a zombie only the have the door push you back towards it. 

I don't think door hinge realism is something we need to sacrifice gameplay for. 

• Like 1

Well I do get annoyed at outward opening doors, I mean, who the hells still uses those?

But doors should only open in one fixed direction unless they are specially designed to go both ways. Situatinal awareness is a lifesaver.

Ya now if only I can walk through doorways like a normal human being 8P

Well I do get annoyed at outward opening doors, I mean, who the hells still uses those?

But doors should only open in one fixed direction unless they are specially designed to go both ways. Situatinal awareness is a lifesaver.

I wouldn't even mind if all doors only opened in one direction, consistency would be nice, it seems to vary house to house. At very least gates should open two ways though. 

The only thing about doors that kind of annoys me is a lot of the front doors at at the back. Maybe it's a russian thing but typically doors are road side everywhere else in the world.

Ya now if only I can walk through doorways like a normal human being 8P

Or crawl through a doorway. Hope that's coming down the line. Love being forced to stand at the threshhold and thus getting z aggro.

Doors opening in random directions is annoying. I think that doors open should in the direction they would in real life. public or large buildings the doors should open outwards, that is fire code after all. On the houses with a vestibule the outer doors open out while the inner doors open inward. 

Edited by Denatured
  • Like 2

RE: doors in general.

I remember a long time ago that the devs stated that they wanted to change the way we action doors all together and remove the current icon system.

If at the same time they make doors open as they would in real life, I would totally be down with that.

Personally, I would also like to see at least 3 different speeds for opening doors.

Slow/quiet, normal speed/average volume, kicked in fast/loud as fuck.

Another way to do this would be to make the door speed tied to a mouse motion or your walking speed while the character engaged the door and moved through it.

Edited by BioHaze

As previously stated, doors for homes and such should swing inwards; giving the owner of the home the convenience of not having to reach out to close the door. But for larger buildings and such, they are supposed to swing outwards (as stated above) incase of fires and situations like that.

Just have those big ass gates open away from you. Doors are fine, really. But you can always just push a gate.

I would like a door opening animation that locks you to the door for the short period of time needed to open the door, similar to climbing a ladder. I would see this working in a way where your character doesn't get physically moved by the opening door.

Also:

- You should be able to cancel the animation by pressing a movement key.

- You should be able to open a door with a weapon (whether melee or firearm) raised or lowered.

- Kicking or shooting a door open would also be nice touches, especially if they enable door locking.

- Kicking or shooting a door open would also be nice touches, especially if they enable door locking.

you can lock doors with lockpick. I'm so paranoid that this is a priority for me, feel much better in a police station with the doors locked.

Really like biohaze's idea of using mouse. Eventually everything will be like that (holding mouse down for action) so this could happen. Would be great in 1pp, peaking in slowly it needed.

Essentially as the title says, when you open a door, have it swing outward in the direction you are looking, rather then the current system which is a fixed direction.

Currently nine out of ten times I open a door I find myself getting pushed back and slammed into the wall and thus glitching through the door. Especially annoying with big farm gates or warehouse doors. 

I don't think door hinge realism is something we need to sacrifice gameplay for. 

the doors open up that way incase of a fire

What happens if there are two players, one on each side of the door, and they both try to open the door at the same time?  BSOD?  Total universe implosion?

Yea no.

That is not how doors work bud. They don't purposely swing both ways unless it is intentional.

Yea no.

That is not how doors work bud. They don't purposely swing both ways unless it is intentional.

Hence "I don't think door hinge realism is something we need to sacrifice gameplay for. "

However, whatever the solution, doors need work. Some continuity in the way they work would be nice. 

Incremental opening with scroll wheel would be nice too, like ACE/AGM does it in Arma 3. 

Another way to do this would be to make the door speed tied to a mouse motion or your walking speed while the character engaged the door and moved through it.

Something similar to Amnesia would be amazing, but that's physics based so I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm just dreaming...

• Like 1

Good thing the Dayz Gods gave us arms of about 3 meters long, most doors you can open from quite a distance. I usually only get pushed aside by the larger gates, but you can anticipate that as well.

Something I´ve mentioned at Delevoper Discussion:

Just a though about door mechanic and animation: Is it possible to open a door with a Handanimation? Maybe if u press "E" your hand just grab the door and this activate a free swing mode like in Witcher 3. So doors will not automatically open and push everything away whats behind.

Maybe you can put a chair or container behind it to block it physically so your enemys have to crush the door to get through. I know, with just a swing mode like Witcher 3 even your enemy could block the door if it swings in both directions.

Strategic wise it would make some things harder with exploits too. In this state of the game you can just stand agains a wall close to a door and press "E" so you can look into the room in 3pp.

I wonder how many Gigs it might take to fix  the doors if they would ever think about updating it :P

Edited by IIxL0NEW0LFxII

Doors should be physical objects so a player can push/pull them open/close when touching them. Like in real life. Use the doorknob and then just push or pull. There should not be fixed open/close animations imo.

Just about anyone in russia. Doors are harder to kick in