MadMcardle

16 hours in, met my first player!

Yeah so I am still new to the game, so far only came across zeds until today. Saw a guy running in to a building, looked to be unarmed so I said over my mic "Hey dude don't worry I am a friendly, I won't hurt you, I have an extra rifle you can have its cool"

Nothing...

"Dude seriously I won't shoot you, I am a mere scavenger, fancy partying up?"

Man walks out the building, then starts to run at me, I think nothing of it then BAM... one shot and I went down, turns out he did have a gun afterall. I go unconscious and he is about to leave, I'm like "Dude I wasn't gonna hurt you, I said I was friendly, damn"

He stops the bleeding and leaves. When I came around, surprisingly I still have ALL my kit, although I could not pick up my SKS for some reason but hey, it could have been a LOT worse.

I will definitely be a lot more careful with strangers from now on lol.

• Like 3

Yeah so I am still new to the game, so far only came across zeds until today. Saw a guy running in to a building, looked to be unarmed so I said over my mic "Hey dude don't worry I am a friendly, I won't hurt you, I have an extra rifle you can have its cool"

Nothing...

Man walks out the building, then starts to run at me, I think nothing of it then BAM... one shot and I went down, turns out he did have a gun afterall. I go unconscious and he is about to leave, I'm like "Dude I wasn't gonna hurt you, I said I was friendly, damn"

He stops the bleeding and leaves. When I came around, surprisingly I still have ALL my kit, although I could not pick up my SKS for some reason but hey, it could have been a LOT worse.

I've got about 50 hrs in. Met two friendlies, traded with them. I've been killed 3 times, twice shot in the back, twice shot while my weapon was shouldered. Wouldn't think I was much of a threat with no weapon in my hand. Oh well, live and learn.

Nothing...

im sure eventually the players that kos all the time will grow tired of being dicks. then i hope they decide that actual interaction makes for a much more enjoyable game.

i used to stay far away from anyone i saw after being kos'd several times.  then i decided "what the hell, i can always just gear up again" so i went looking for people. every now and then you meet some nice ones. and when you do, you really appreciate the interaction. you feel like there ARE people out there like you who are just trying to survive and not looking to ruin anyone's day lol

• Like 1

Nothing...

I'm not questioning your motives, but being new to the game, you may not be aware that the, "I'm friendly!" ruse has been used to death by others of more questionable character. Whenever I hear, "I'm friendly." I instinctively assume danger. 

• Like 1

Yes, it could have been much worse, I have been in the process of responding to people and been shot, I have tried to run and been shot.  I've had a rifle in hand and not been shot, I've had my weapon on my back and been shot.  I've had people tell me they were sorry they shot me after they did it (which makes me fucking rage like a mad man since I take that as the pen-ultimately most cowardly thing to say).   You can never tell, people are unpredictable which is why, for the most part, I avoid everyone that I do not know from here or in real life.  To paraphrase Goering, when I hear the word "friendly" I slip the safety off on my FNX.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1

Going to highly recommend taking a look at the "How was your DayZ" thread... A bunch of guys (including me) have committed a great number of adventures to words that can definitely help you get a feel for emerging trends and different ways to initiate conversations. 

Make no mistake- it's going to end one in 4 ways: 

1) Guy kills you as soon as he sees you no matter what you say. 

2) Guy approaches you, does a quick assessment on whether you have something he wants and after a brief conversation kills you- no matter what you say. 

3) Guy gains your trust and may even be helpful to you until you turn your back or walk around the corner to get smacked by his sniping friend that is talking to him on TS3.

4) Guy helps you out and actually leaves you alone- wishing you luck. (ie: a good interaction). 

I speak as someone who has actually had more friendly encounters than bad- though the margins are pretty tight. Really depends on where you are... and as you learn the game a bit more you'll start to figure out which areas you're more likely to encounter friendly people. This is mentioned in many, many places and is still quite subjective... but larger coastal cities like Cherno, Elektro, Berezino are areas where you are probably better off avoiding people until you're ready to do the dance of life. Any military base or air field is generally a shoot first, ask questions later area so best to sit back for a bit and assess population... Even if you're in a server with 3 people, if you're at a base then don't discount the possibility that everyone else is too.

I saw you talking to BAM over in your other thread... he and I play quite a bit together and like to have like-minded folks about to work with. Especially being a bit newer I think you can help to refresh our enthusiasm for the game. Maybe we'll see you in there soon-

Speaking of which- where is your character located right now? Public or Private?  

• Like 2

im sure eventually the players that kos all the time will grow tired of being dicks. then i hope they decide that actual interaction makes for a much more enjoyable game.

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Don't count on it.

• Like 1

I'm not questioning your motives, but being new to the game, you may not be aware that the, "I'm friendly!" ruse has been used to death by others of more questionable character. Whenever I hear, "I'm friendly." I instinctively assume danger. 

I will definitely bare that in mind now! lol.

Going to highly recommend taking a look at the "How was your DayZ" thread... A bunch of guys (including me) have committed a great number of adventures to words that can definitely help you get a feel for emerging trends and different ways to initiate conversations. 

2) Guy approaches you, does a quick assessment on whether you have something he wants and after a brief conversation kills you- no matter what you say. 

3) Guy gains your trust and may even be helpful to you until you turn your back or walk around the corner to get smacked by his sniping friend that is talking to him on TS3.

4) Guy helps you out and actually leaves you alone- wishing you luck. (ie: a good interaction). 

I speak as someone who has actually had more friendly encounters than bad- though the margins are pretty tight. Really depends on where you are... and as you learn the game a bit more you'll start to figure out which areas you're more likely to encounter friendly people. This is mentioned in many, many places and is still quite subjective... but larger coastal cities like Cherno, Elektro, Berezino are areas where you are probably better off avoiding people until you're ready to do the dance of life. Any military base or air field is generally a shoot first, ask questions later area so best to sit back for a bit and assess population... Even if you're in a server with 3 people, if you're at a base then don't discount the possibility that everyone else is too.

I saw you talking to BAM over in your other thread... he and I play quite a bit together and like to have like-minded folks about to work with. Especially being a bit newer I think you can help to refresh our enthusiasm for the game. Maybe we'll see you in there soon-

Speaking of which- where is your character located right now? Public or Private?  

I am on public servers buddy, got a small group going now that your more than welcome to join, got ts too :)

Schwab and I have been using Steam Chat... and that seems to be working well now that we've figured out some of the functions for inviting people etc. TS3 is an old favourite and I have my own server for my clan in another game. 

Which area is your character in? 

There seems to be less hang out in Cherno KOS teenies than there used to be but maybe they're just somewhere else hanging out shooting people now :p

Schwab and I have been using Steam Chat... and that seems to be working well now that we've figured out some of the functions for inviting people etc. TS3 is an old favourite and I have my own server for my clan in another game. 

Which area is your character in? 

I am in Balota at the moment bud but that will probably change soon lol. How do you do those things in the Steam chat?

The TS3 thing is so fucking true xD

I am in Balota at the moment bud but that will probably change soon lol. How do you do those things in the Steam chat?

Pretty easy provided you have a headset / mic set up. Nice thing about it is that Steam will notify you of people in your friends list coming into DayZ. If you want to talk to them just hit left Shift and Tab to open up the communication screen. Just view friends and double click on their name to open a chat window with them. Click on the arrow in the top right of the chat window and click "start voice chat (I think)." It will ring them and they'll have the option of picking it up. Let's say that you and schwab are chatting away and he sees me come in- then he can click on that arrow again, go "invite to chat" and it'll show him a list of people he can invite. He'll choose my name and it brings me in on the conversation- Once that is done he can Shift Tab out and back into the game. It works in the background and from what I know is not resource intensive. 

The effect is the same as TS3- but the process is a little different. 

Balota is, unfortunately, the exact opposite of the map from where we're working right now. Unless you find a truck... (or we do!) 

Edited by ENO75

I am a cold blooded murderer and I don't feel bad one bit. 

I am a cold blooded murderer and I don't feel bad one bit. 

Cool story bra. 

Pretty easy provided you have a headset / mic set up. Nice thing about it is that Steam will notify you of people in your friends list coming into DayZ. If you want to talk to them just hit left Shift and Tab to open up the communication screen. Just view friends and double click on their name to open a chat window with them. Click on the arrow in the top right of the chat window and click "start voice chat (I think)." It will ring them and they'll have the option of picking it up. Let's say that you and schwab are chatting away and he sees me come in- then he can click on that arrow again, go "invite to chat" and it'll show him a list of people he can invite. He'll choose my name and it brings me in on the conversation- Once that is done he can Shift Tab out and back into the game. It works in the background and from what I know is not resource intensive. 

The effect is the same as TS3- but the process is a little different. 

Balota is, unfortunately, the exact opposite of the map from where we're working right now. Unless you find a truck... (or we do!) 

No worries man, I will catch up with you at some point I am sure :)

You'll get shot depending on your location too, regardless of what you look like or what you say. 

If I see you in a major city, I'll shoot first every time. Far too much risk in dealing with other players in cities. I've been killed by a guy I was trading with after someone else shot at us because he assumed it was me. It's just not worth trying to interact in cities. Either avoid or shoot to kill.

Out in the wilds or in a smaller town I'll be far more inclined to at least make contact before I ice you.

The other interaction that happens quite a bit (to me anyway) is the one where the other char either doesn't have a mic or pretends not to, then you circle around each other, or look at each other from a distance, and then you just back away.

I never say 'friendly' or 'I'm friendly' at first - usually something a bit more engaging like asking how they're doing, anything they need, where they're running to, etc.

If someone is simply not a threat to me, I won't kill them. If I think the other char feels like I'm not a threat to them, I'll try to kill them. :D

But broadly my paranoia is in direct proportion to how well geared I am.

Edited by Mookie

I was camping the heli spawn south of the Military Base outside SH last night, waiting for server hoppers who appear five feet from the heli then log after their quick loot check. I left regular folks who drove or walked in alone. Two guys came up and I told them I was up there, and would watch their backs. They got spooked, but eventually came back, chatted, and even offered supplies. This game can never be pegged into "this zone will always get you killed" and "this zone is safe" a majority of the time. That is exactly what makes it exciting.

You just never truly know.

That's a nice story I met a friendly once.it was in exp .48 we had a good chat then we went seperate ways I should have followed him to balota to see a glimpse of the barracks before they were gone. Now after alot of updates I don't see friendlys anymore..... Because I kill them and eat them depending on the mood I am, last night I beat a guy up in exp AUS-02 who wanted me to see if he could use the barrel as a shield against a fire extinguaser. He went down in one shot ruined helmet. after i killed him I got charcoal tabs and ate him.

Now I think about it about half of my interactions have been friendly, or at least non-hostile. Just pisses me off when I'm clearly not a threat, or they have the drop on me and could easily hold me up or kneecap me or something but they unload on me anyway. Even though there are plenty of friendly players, it's getting to the point where I'd rather just shoot first instead of doing a friendly dance. Been cocked over so many times by silent twats with too much ammo. 

Now I think about it about half of my interactions have been friendly, or at least non-hostile. Just pisses me off when I'm clearly not a threat, or they have the drop on me and could easily hold me up or kneecap me or something but they unload on me anyway. Even though there are plenty of friendly players, it's getting to the point where I'd rather just shoot first instead of doing a friendly dance. Been cocked over so many times by silent twats with too much ammo. 

I really tried to be nice for a long time- but I'm losing patience for it. I've pulled shots a few times in the past couple days and lived to regret it. Oh wait... no I didn't. I died immediately and regretted it. Anyone I come across who has a weapon in their hand is going to eat the green wiener. 

I actually came across a guy last night who proved to be an exception. I saw him approaching from a long way off down the main drag at Berezino and we shouted out to each other from a distance-

"Can you hear me?" I called out over global.

"Yeah- I hear you!" 

"I don't want to shoot you but I will so pick your next moves carefully." 

"How about we put our weapons away-" he suggested as I see him shoulder his long weapon. "This would be a good start."

"I appreciate your offer- but unfortunately I'm double carrying so I can't." (I- like everyone else in the game right now- had an AK on my shoulder. I was also hand carrying an SKS... first time I'd carried the SKS. The AK didn't have a mag... but I was looking for one when I came across this guy. Hey- if everyone else has an AK I might as well too). "You need anything?"

"9mm ammo if you have any." 

"No- sorry... there's a guard house behind me, one by the school and one or two behind you. I didn't see any where I came from but maybe the other ones?" 

"I've checked all but the one behind you..." 

As we talked we crossed each other from a distance- keeping an eye on one another. Overall it was a smooth transaction. 

"Good luck out there!" 

I guess a big part of the skill in this game for those who want it to be more than just force feeding people high velocity ammo is in assessing the odds that a certain encounter will result in something good happening. Guy has a gun in his hand, teched out and you've surprised him? Probably going to have to lay into him with the business. Guy with a cowboy hat on and leathers shouts out to you from a distance and says he could have killed you 5 minutes ago and just wants you to know he's working in the area? Okay... probably not going to expand my carbon footprint all over this guy's center of mass.

With that said I encountered my first chicken last night out in the middle of nowhere and I almost shit myself... I'm sure it was no threat to me but it had to die on principle. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

the first player i met shot me in the face. i was in... some city and i heard shots. i investigated and found a guy with a rifle looting a freshy. i sat down and watched him for a good minute and thwn said, 'hi. ur the first player ive seen' he looked up, i waved, i think he was a bit confused for a sec. then he said 'hi' and shot me in the face. good times. im gonna run thru novo tomoro sometime in my underwear and a kids pack and mt 3 mp5 clips at anyone i see. i love this game

Some really cool stories here guys, thanks. I am just approaching 200 hours played now and gotta say, the interaction with people amazes me, so many people acting friendly that aren't really friendly, others that simply bolt when they see or hear you, taking up a safe position when you hear those footsteps outside the building your looting, its all so exciting! 

I met with a guy last night that I had been chatting with through the forums, little break down in comms as english is not his first language, my heart was going ten to the dozen as I was trying to talk in game whilst asking my other group guy to back me up, the whole time with my AK pointed at this guy, his hands raised in submission, was a few seconds away from shooting him when I realised it was the guy I was supposed to be meeting lol.

Sadly I haven't had many decent encounters, but I have mostly been at the coast. The most exciting encounter was again near the coast on the way to Electro just past the lighthouse. I went into a house to loot it and as I got to the top of the stairs bumped straight into someone, as I've only been playing a few days I didn't even think to try communicate - we both looked at each other and just fired. I unloaded a full mag from my AK as I backed down the stairs. 

I moved away from the house to scout it out, I thought he might have bled out but he either bandaged up or just didn't take a hit due to my erratic firing haha, as I saw him leave the house a few minutes later. I followed him, thinking I was being stealthy but he managed to flank around me and took me out, fair play to the guy! Unfortunately the friend I was heading to meet was only a minute away and the guy was just looting me standing up and was ended quite abruptly by a Mosin round, was still a great effort on his behalf.

I am going to head up north in the hopes of actually meeting people who don't just kill on sight but I am going to have to be pretty on guard after past experiences.

Edited by starrman1985