JarheadLeeds

how to get dayz to run better without turning graphics down loads?

Hi everyone so im getting pretty annoyed right now, people are either trying to troll me or they're tweaking things, on the dayz Facebook page a couple of people told me that they were  getting 40fps in towns, yes in towns with r9 270x graphics cards and i5 processors on max settings. Now the thing that made me think they were lying is that i have an i7 4790 and a gtx 970 and in game i cant even get 40fps on low settings in towns so i don't understand how these guys are? so is there actually anyway of getting good fps on this game without turning settings right down or are they lying?.

What you're doing wrong is the following:

if pushing the graphicssettings to the lowest you'll see a reverted return - meanaing you'll have worse FPS than before.

Try pushing your graphics a bit more to the maximum and see what that gives you.

One thing to keep in mind genereally, though: this is a game in Alpha, this kind of performance problems are to be expected.

I keep most everything maxed out but sometimes turn down object detail in towns/close quarters as that seems to be the FPS killer for me.

I have basically the same setup and with native resolution and most things on high or very high I get around 30-40 fps in towns. From what info I can gather the cpu does most of the job in this game so overclocking it might give a few more fps. Its probably a good ide to wait til Beta instead and see what happens with the performance before changing anything.

Maybe they mean tiny towns.  I don't believe anyone is getting those sort of frames in any of the actual cities.  If they are, I'd like proof!

i have a 980ti and have to turn off shadows and actually got worse frames in berezino than I did on my laptop:D

the op is basically asking how long is a piece of string. You just have to check out the various guides then tweak, test then tweak again. As kichilron intimated sometimes turning stuff up gives better results than turning things down.

I have the following:

bloom 0

alpha to coverage: disabled

antialiasing: low (disabled is another good choice)

edge smoothing: fxaa high

hdr quality: low

post process quality: disabled

terrain quality: high (it actually makes no difference what you set this to afaik)

texture detail: very high

texture filtering: high

video memory: auto

also in dayz.cfg I have

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

and in username.DayZprofile I have the following:

sceneComplexity=1000000;
shadowZDistance=100; //irrelevant if you have shadows off
viewDistance=1800;
preferredObjectViewDistance=1200;
terrainGrid=6.25;

I'll be changing sceneComplexity to about 200000 and terrain grid to 12.5 if needs be. Those two have a big effect. But throwing even the best card at dayz without tweaking the game settings will equal low frames.

tbh I haven't played that much with the new card. I probably spent more hours tweaking the game for my old 570m than I have played with the new 980ti.

Edited by freethink

if pushing the graphicssettings to the lowest you'll see a reverted return - meanaing you'll have worse FPS than before.

Try pushing your graphics a bit more to the maximum and see what that gives you.

One thing to keep in mind genereally, though: this is a game in Alpha, this kind of performance problems are to be expected.

Are there settings we can change to improve our experience? I found instructions to lower settings in the DayZ config file that seemed to help. But, what is your advice on what we can do to improve our experience?

Thanks in advance.

I get 40+ fps in cities easily. And I'm on a laptop. 2.7 ghz overclocked I believe, gtx 860m.

Not to insult your intelligence, but for me the biggest change in FPS was changing my rendering resolution to the correct setting. Its often overlooked and can make the game run better while looking better. But its all voodoo magic in the end. I know people with better rigs than my own that get terrible FPS. There's so many factors that come into play, one of which is that the game is in alpha.

Hi everyone so im getting pretty annoyed right now, people are either trying to troll me or they're tweaking things, on the dayz Facebook page a couple of people told me that they were  getting 40fps in towns, yes in towns with r9 270x graphics cards and i5 processors on max settings. Now the thing that made me think they were lying is that i have an i7 4790 and a gtx 970 and in game i cant even get 40fps on low settings in towns so i don't understand how these guys are? so is there actually anyway of getting good fps on this game without turning settings right down or are they lying?.

Disable clouds and shadows and stop monitoring FPS and just play the game.

Also set everything to high.

I get 40+ fps in cities easily. And I'm on a laptop. 2.7 ghz overclocked I believe, gtx 860m.

Not to insult your intelligence, but for me the biggest change in FPS was changing my rendering resolution to the correct setting. Its often overlooked and can make the game run better while looking better. But its all voodoo magic in the end. I know people with better rigs than my own that get terrible FPS. There's so many factors that come into play, one of which is that the game is in alpha.

What is the "correct setting" for rendering resolution?

wait for the fabled white unicorn 'new renderer' out SoonTM

• Like 1

wait for the fabled white unicorn 'new renderer' out SoonTM

This really isn't going to change anything. Stop undoing all of our hard work by convincing people that it's going to help with FPS really soon.

We're really only going to notice any significant performance gains until optimization takes place after we enter beta testing.

• Like 1

This really isn't going to change anything. Stop undoing all of our hard work by convincing people that it's going to help with FPS really soon.

We're really only going to notice any significant performance gains until optimization takes place after we enter beta testing.

ive been waiting over a year for it and they keep saying 3months.

Yeah i have little faith left in a team that thinks under 30FPS is fine at this stage in development

Yes i know optimisation comes later

What i dont know is the devs have any idea how this game will ever run at 60fps and have done no attempts to get it to do so...Just keep adding and breaking the game and hopefully a year down the line they'll make it run smooth- i think they need to rethink priorities, day z is becoming a well known 'joke'

BTW this is excellent advice. Here I was tuning down the graphics for more fps when in the end it turns out I can have a better looking game without really losing fps (as long as I stay near normal settings)

• Like 1

Now a strong tip to everyone: FPS is not only calculated by your gfx. DayZ ran kind of bad for me so I started tweaking the settings. It turned out that I got the same FPS with everything maxed out and everything toned down.

It was actually my processor which was outdated and was the cause of the problem. Now I have an 8-core processor and DayZ runs like a smooth baby with almost everything maxed out.

Yeah i have little faith left in a team that thinks under 30FPS is fine at this stage in development

What i dont know is the devs have any idea how this game will ever run at 60fps and have done no attempts to get it to do so...Just keep adding and breaking the game and hopefully a year down the line they'll make it run smooth- i think they need to rethink priorities, day z is becoming a well known 'joke'

I think patience is still key here. I believe the new renderer will make a difference. And expecting smooth play before beta is putting the cart before the horse.

How a game that hasn't even been released yet has become a "joke" speaks only to the impatience of those calling it a joke. I was playing H1Z1 for the first time last night. Loved the creepy music and everything, but when two players suddenly vanished in front of me I knew I was dealing with a game still under development. That game has a similar disclaimer before the game starts just like DayZ. While playing I overheard a couple players complaining about the game. Just like players do here. So the "joke" is on you if you expect a game in development to be working smoothly. Just saying.

Edited by BulletGarden

I don't think you (or very many other people who play this game) understand what role we, as alpha testers, play in the development of this game.

We are guaranteed NOTHING in terms of quality of play or anything like that. As with any other game in early development, making the game run smoothly is NOT a priority. Adding new features is the primary goal of the alpha stages of any game, which means yes, THE GAME WILL BREAK FREQUENTLY.

Over and over again people keep saying that "alpha is not an excuse". Fuck that. Just because you (not necessarily you, AgentNe0) are too illiterate to read the thousands of warnings, nor did you understand the development process of almost any piece of software, doesn't mean that the devs are doing a poor job, or that the finished product will be a piece of shit.

What you probably need to hear, and what you are going to hear over and over again every time you post these types of criticism (by the way, this is NOT constructive criticism): Think about this. If they devs tried to get every single new feature working as it should when the game is released, they would be wasting an enormous amount of time, as some features end up breaking other features. It's better for them to understand what can/should wait for beta/release (i.e. optimization in this case, or what you would call "FPS boosts"), which they are doing.

Please, try to understand what the development process is before making these types of posts. You will enjoy the alpha and beta stages a lot more, and you will ultimately enjoy the final release more as well.

TL;DR: Player experience is one of the last priorities that the devs are working on. It's probably pretty nice having all of these unpaid alpha testers, but in the long run, they aren't prioritizing having a working, playable game at this stage. (Although I feel that the game is more than playable and enjoyable at this stage, despite all of the bugs and problems).

• Like 1

The engine ArmA/DayZ use offloads most everything to the processor.

You can have dual titans and the game will run like shit until you get a better processor. Also, BI doesn't have a history of optimizing very well, so don't expect to do much better as the game progresses to "release".

The engine ArmA/DayZ use offloads most everything to the processor.

You can have dual titans and the game will run like shit until you get a better processor. Also, BI doesn't have a history of optimizing very well, so don't expect to do much better as the game progresses to "release".

On that note, the processor isn't as crucial as everyone thinks. I didn't really notice any improvement going from a 2600K to a 5960X. Granted, my 2600K was clocked at 5.2GHz, and since DayZ essentially only uses one core, that's more than likely the reason. Having said that, I only noticed a slight gain in performance going from the stock 3.4GHz to 5.2GHz.

Ah well. Aside from using the general optimization guide which you can find in umpteen threads on these forums, there's not much you can do but wait for optimizations coming in beta.

Find solace in the fact that those of us with serious systems are playing with similar frame rates.

• Like 2

On that note, the processor isn't as crucial as everyone thinks. I didn't really notice any improvement going from a 2600K to a 5960X. Granted, my 2600K was clocked at 5.2GHz, and since DayZ essentially only uses one core, that's more than likely the reason. Having said that, I only noticed a slight gain in performance going from the stock 3.4GHz to 5.2GHz.

You're probably the first person to acknowledge that other than me.

The crux with the graphicsguides around the web are mostly all derivative of ARMA 2 Graphicsguides written by other people. None of those people actually wrote down their own thoughts or experiences regarding the graphicssettings. And they're mostly all wrong for that matter.

I think the genreal consensus it that the only thing that will really help you get better DayZ performance is PATIENCE.  If you are really having problems running the game, don't turn stuff down to the minimums, as it is usually counterproductive.  I take solace in the fact that as I master the art of playing DayZ with a single-digit framerate, the inevitable performance upgrades will instantly transform me into a Chernarussian ninja; and everyone I encounter will then probably accuse me of hacking.  Just do what you can with what you got, for the time being.

I think patience is still key here. I believe the new renderer will make a difference. And expecting smooth play before beta is putting the cart before the horse.

How a game that hasn't even been released yet has become a "joke" speaks only to the impatience of those calling it a joke. I was playing H1Z1 for the first time last night. Loved the creepy music and everything, but when two players suddenly vanished in front of me I knew I was dealing with a game still under development. That game has a similar disclaimer before the game starts just like DayZ. While playing I overheard a couple players complaining about the game. Just like players do here. So the "joke" is on you if you expect a game in development to be working smoothly. Just saying.

h1z1, the forest, ark survival , 7days to die, and many other games also in alpha on less budget, with much less dev time than dayz, all run smoothly at 60 FPS at this point in time day z runs the worst. and its supposed to be the original and best. It runs worse than all the other Early access survival games. It is a joke mate.

h1z1

By no means a good looking game.

h1z1-3.jpg

the forest

Single Player game with by no means exceptional performance. It looks great, yes. But one thing to keep in mind: the developers were not game developers, they were exclusively Hollywood special effects artists..

ark survival

Apart from Batman possibly the worst performing title of the last 2-3 months. A lot of YouTubers (including WoBo, who started as DayZ YT'er) made a lot of views with guides on performance alone, because of its poor performance.

7days to die

I could make the original Super Mario run 60 FPS as well - and that's how 7D2D looks like as well..

maxresdefault.jpg

But anyway, you're (yet again) trying to start petty arguments without thinking anything of it through. You need to work on your anger management, or you'll get into trouble again. Take this as well-intended advice.

By no means a good looking game.

h1z1-3.jpg

Single Player game with by no means exceptional performance. It looks great, yes. But one thing to keep in mind: the developers were not game developers, they were exclusively Hollywood special effects artists..

Apart from Batman possibly the worst performing title of the last 2-3 months. A lot of YouTubers (including WoBo, who started as DayZ YT'er) made a lot of views with guides on performance alone, because of its poor performance.

I could make the original Super Mario run 60 FPS as well - and that's how 7D2D looks like as well..

maxresdefault.jpg

But anyway, you're (yet again) trying to start petty arguments without thinking anything of it through. You need to work on your anger management, or you'll get into trouble again. Take this as well-intended advice.

wow your such a troll bait ... H1z1 looks pretty much on a par with day z if you look at recent pics rather than a dev stream from months ago--- the main point with h1z1 is that it runs constantly at 60fps so doesn't feel completely broken- the mouse movement is 1 to 1..its smooth and came out on its alpha release that way, with lots more to do than day z...i dont even play it much but the point here is smoothness and frame rate not overall texture quality-- which if you look at some areas and screens of day z its much worse in that regard

Ark survival i dont like the game but my community play it a lot. when it released it ran like a tank. Surprisingly a few weeks later it runs at a solid 60fps. Im not supporting the game im just stating facts the game has hardly been out long but their dev team are listening to their community and improving it ten fold..if you own the game fire it up it runs smooth now...As for videos about how to run it smooth- lol- how many people make them for Day Z?!? Day Z is pretty much the laughing stock of the steam community and the main reason people rip it is because it runs at slide show laughable frame rates. its unplayable!!!

No where near as bad as the batman episode

Finally 7 days lol you really picked the worst shot for that..again im not a fan but the game runs smooth

The forest also released a bit laggy and has since been optimisied and runs nice..its been out for less time than Standalone and its made by a small team of like 5 developers.So what if they were special effects artists.

To be honest, your the one starting arguments with no facts and using old screenshots and old information. You need to work on communication, research (getting facts straight), and reducing your trolling as your supposed to be a moderator. I was siting several early access games, with less dev time, less budget, who have managed to get their early access survival games to run at 60fps. Day Z might want to take some inspiration from those.

Edited by AgentNe0

To be honest, your the one starting arguments with no facts and using old screenshots and old information. You need to work on communication, research (getting facts straight), and reducing your trolling as your supposed to be a moderator. I was siting several early access games, with less dev time, less budget, who have managed to get their early access survival games to run at 60fps. Day Z might want to take some inspiration from those.

The reason I am starting an argument is because that's what a Forum is for, as long as they're civil. If you don't understand that, you don't understand the concept of communication, which I do.

Your only goal (this time around) seems to be optimisation and that's pretty much the only thing I'm taking away from your comment. If that were the only way to determine whether a survival game is good or not, DayZ wouldn't be on the top lists, that's true.

• Like 1