Persason

When will the Zombie count be up?

Hi I bought the standalone the day it was released (a mistake in my opinion but that is not my point) and I haven't played it at all as the game lacks alot. I played the mod a bit on and off.

My biggest issue with this game is the lack of zombies when will the zombie count be up to that of the mods (or how the mod was when it was released two years ago). 

Right now it is a zombie game with no zombies lol and has been so for a very long time... oh and I know they are infected and not zombies so spare me of that comment :D. 

Basically my question is when will the zombie count be so high that you see so many zombies in big cities that you actually have to consider whether going in is worth it and when you go in you have to go low to avoid aggroing the entire city?

Does anyone have an ETA on this? or when do you expect it? 

Dayz is not a zombie game. Dayz is  an open world survival horror video game with roaming "infected" humans commonly mistaken for zombies.

edit: Oh and it is ALPHA... expect shortcomings and report bugs.

Edited by pcs305
  • Like 2

Dayz is not a zombie game. Dayz is  an open world survival horror video game with roaming "infected" humans commonly mistaken for zombies.

edit: Oh and it is ALPHA... expect shortcomings and report bugs.

This is exactly the kind of comment that I did not want. It is unhelpful and a waste of my time. I am well aware of it being an alpha and a n open world horror game with infected humans. So when will there be a decent amount of infected humans? That was my question if you do not know or don't have any educated guess then spare both of us from your useless comments.

• Like 6

at release

Well we can hope :D Yet release seems like a long time I think they probably would work on it during beta.

My personal opinion: I wouldn't mind if the zombies stay at this level or even disappear altogether. I play DAYZ SA for the survival element, not for the "horror" element. The zombie theme has had it's day and has gotten a bit old.

I would have liked it if (not gonna happen) the developers had found a different angle for DAYZ SA. Maybe that if you spawn you are either infected by a virus or not. The infected must find certain medicine to keep alive, the non infected must find medicine to not get infected / stay immune from an air bound virus. Maybe there could be a reward system that if a non-infected kills an infected he gets an up in certain skills, like shooting, or running (stamina) or maybe being faster in certain tasks. Same could go for the infected. There would have to be perks for both sides so it's interesting to play either side. Both parties would have to find allies to survive the other side. There would have to be a way players can recognize another player whether they are infected or not but not too obvious so players would have to approach each other to find out. The infected could maybe have a certain way of breathing only audible from close by. Killing a player from your own side should have major repercussions.

Well, just free thinking here :)

Hi I bought the standalone the day it was released (a mistake in my opinion but that is not my point) and I haven't played it at all as the game lacks alot. I played the mod a bit on and off.

My biggest issue with this game is the lack of zombies when will the zombie count be up to that of the mods (or how the mod was when it was released two years ago). 

Right now it is a zombie game with no zombies lol and has been so for a very long time... oh and I know they are infected and not zombies so spare me of that comment :D. 

Basically my question is when will the zombie count be so high that you see so many zombies in big cities that you actually have to consider whether going in is worth it and when you go in you have to go low to avoid aggroing the entire city?

Zombies are more of a decoration for a shooter with a map gone too large. I don't really expect environmental threats or sandbox feeling in the foreseeable future. Zombie count has actually gone down (will go up again, though) and other environmental threats have been mitigated as well. Loot, especially availabilty of weapons, has drastically gone up - do the math ;)

That said, other environmental threads would possibly more interesting anyway, scavenging hordes of animals, diseases (more than the odd "cholera" you hardly can catch), radiation, rotten food, just to name a few.

Edited by Noctoras

There were more zombies before the .57 build, which landed about 2 weeks ago now. It's still in early access alpha and in flux. They just had to pull back the persistence loot option so now all loot repopulates after each server restart, and so do the zombies. There's a lot less of them, and since they're not respawning as of .57 build it's going to seem like a lot, lot less of them are around. I've not kept up on the dev notes on what's coming or what the plans for addressing that are, but I believe it was intentional and that they have every intention to raise the zombie count up, get the zombie hoard mechanic working, get the zombie mechanics and diversity working, etc. I mean, we only got crawling zombies when their legs broke 2 weeks ago with .57. This is not a finished game at all, it's still in alpha and things can change majorly weekly as they implement something new, tweak something else, or revert back to another build/methodology as they work through issues.

• Like 1

"I would have liked it if (not gonna happen) the developers had found a different angle for DAYZ SA. Maybe that if you spawn you are either infected by a virus or not. The infected must find certain medicine to keep alive, the non infected must find medicine to not get infected / stay immune from an air bound virus. Maybe there could be a reward system that if a non-infected kills an infected he gets an up in certain skills, like shooting, or running (stamina) or maybe being faster in certain tasks. Same could go for the infected. There would have to be perks for both sides so it's interesting to play either side. Both parties would have to find allies to survive the other side. There would have to be a way players can recognize another player whether they are infected or not but not too obvious so players would have to approach each other to find out. The infected could maybe have a certain way of breathing only audible from close by. Killing a player from your own side should have major repercussions."

Sure glad they did not do this would have killed the whole game.

I read that they were going to disable infected spawning temporarily for stable branch. Any word on when this is going to happen if it hasn't already? There'll be more zombies when they've fixed them up and gotten the servers more stable. 

I read that they were going to disable infected spawning temporarily for stable branch. Any word on when this is going to happen if it hasn't already? There'll be more zombies when they've fixed them up and gotten the servers more stable. 

Well i had 8 of the buggers chasin me last night, went and locked myself in one of those blue door ended buildings , then shot the things through the gaps in the double doors, wasn't thinking there wasn't enough then :)

• Like 1

They were going to for .57 but changed their mind.

"I would have liked it if (not gonna happen) the developers had found a different angle for DAYZ SA. Maybe that if you spawn you are either infected by a virus or not. The infected must find certain medicine to keep alive, the non infected must find medicine to not get infected / stay immune from an air bound virus. Maybe there could be a reward system that if a non-infected kills an infected he gets an up in certain skills, like shooting, or running (stamina) or maybe being faster in certain tasks. Same could go for the infected. There would have to be perks for both sides so it's interesting to play either side. Both parties would have to find allies to survive the other side. There would have to be a way players can recognize another player whether they are infected or not but not too obvious so players would have to approach each other to find out. The infected could maybe have a certain way of breathing only audible from close by. Killing a player from your own side should have major repercussions."

Sure glad they did not do this would have killed the whole game.

You didn't quote the most important part of my idea: "...just free thinking here".

Wow, this game is really fucking dead if you believe this isn't a zombie game. This community sucks ass. So many shills and unhelpful comments.

• Like 2

I think I'm done with the game for the foreseeable future.

I've played a lot over the last few days and can count the zombies (infected) that I have encountered on one hand.

Plus, it's just simply BORING running around house to house to find that they have absolutely fuck all in them. In the last few days I managed to get hold of an AK74 and eventually some ammo. Then I thought "sweet", a kashtan scope to test. But no. It was buggered and useless. Found plenty of food, but little else. Little else of value anyway.

The logical areas for searching don't apply either and there's a lot of stuff that just isn't showing up.

People are so bored they just shoot on sight all the time now, which is how I (once again) met my end. I want to go back in an hope that it'll be different. But I know it won't. I've stopped using the mic now, because there is absolutely no point.

Now, with .57 with a zombie count so low, it just compounds the tedium.

There's a fine balance between the "Call of Cherno" and the "World of Boredom" to be found. But it hasn't been found yet.

Yes, I know it's Alpha.

• Like 1

This is exactly the kind of comment that I did not want. It is unhelpful and a waste of my time. I am well aware of it being an alpha and a n open world horror game with infected humans. So when will there be a decent amount of infected humans? That was my question if you do not know or don't have any educated guess then spare both of us from your useless comments.

That was a lame-ass, useless comment from me!

I was hasty and did not fully read your post. I assumed it was just another complaint without reading your whole post.

• Like 1

are you kidding me? the level of zombies is fine at the moment. if you accidently set one off, another is not far off; and if you dont kill that one quickly, anotherwill spawn! I had 10 swarm me at one point because i got trapped in a building, with a broken leg(so i was stuck on the floor) and i kept hitting the walls with my axe. Finally i shot off my mp5 and it only made it worse, with about 3 or 4 more showing up. finally after they beat me till my screen was grey, almost out of blood, a broken arm and leg i was out of bullets and still stuck in the building with bodies all around that i couldnt get over. 

so i think the amount of zombies is fine how it is. 

• Like 1

When devs fix the reason why zombies/infected cause bad server performance. No ETA. 0.55 update had highest zombie population.

Unfortunately, dayz development goes in the way that every change in engine that devs make creates or reveals new big problem. Devs fix it eventually, but what seams like week to us is short time for them because we can't see the sizeor difficulty of problem.

Wow, this game is really fucking dead if you believe this isn't a zombie game. This community sucks ass. So many shills and unhelpful comments.

Yes i have pretty much gave up on the forums here, every reply is almost always an alpha comment or something trolling, even the moderators do it. 

Jeez, there sure is a lot of whining lately!

Come on guys, the game is still fun.  I play for a while, take a break until the next update, play for a while, repeat.

The notion that DayZ shouldn't have or should minimize the zombies is a completely bizarre notion given the name and intent of the game.  Zombies were never the main foe in the MOD or SA.  They were always an added danger to survival, with a threat of revealing your presence to other players by needing to kill them or by doing damage to you, putting you in a bad position when you might run into other players (though I have died more than a few times on a new spawn in the MOD).

Hopefully we get a few more zombies than current.  To those who claim they have played any significant amount of time and seen only a few zombies, I had to kill about 10 in Zeleno last night as the sun went down.  There were plenty.  You do sometimes find that towns are completely depopulated, but they are out there.

• Like 1

Well, I have yet to see anything approaching a significant amount. Although I did have to kill four in a row at the NWAF last night.

That isn't a patch on the very real threat they were in .55. At one stage I have about a dozen after me in one small town and in .55 the could do you some serious damge. That was full shitting myself and it was great.

Personally, I'd have the infected infect YOU if they land a strike, meaning that a player would then have to locate some description. There's a whole new level of danger right there. There's a tiny percentage chance of blood infection in the game already, but it's too low. I only got it once and went into a panic looking for antibiotics, but it was fierce exciting.

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one actually knows what's going on with them.

When, .57 hit, several things happened to the Infected:

• There are a few more total Infected on the map now [up from 1100 to 1240], and they have been redistributed from more smaller remote locations to more popular bigger towns and cities/areas.

• But, currently, they do not respawn when killed. At least not until a server restart, sometimes even not then. This is temporary.

• When asked on Twitter on the disappearance of the Infected, and when they'd be back, I believe it was Eugene that replied "Sooner than you think". I believe there might be a hotfix planned for .57, maybe it will turn on persistence again and Infected respawning, but I can't be for sure on that. 

• While they have admitted that the Infected's bad code does affect FPS, the choice to not have Infected respawn has little to do with the increased performance. The increased .57 performance was gained via tweaking in several different areas of the game, including engine and architectural. 
  • Like 6

A unfortunate note I need to add now: Based on the developer's twitters, elements like tent persistence and zombies being reintroduced in their proper state (respawning properly), most likely wont happen until .58.

It's a shame, and has a strong effect on the game at the moment,

Obviously, PvP is dominant right now without the zombies.
I personally don't mind, because there is fun to be had with that. PvP.
PvP, but in a game with hunger, thirst, blood levels, and broken bones.
Once the game is gold, I will happily play some servers that are PvP focused, as long as they keep the tenants of the game intact. But I have just gotten my brother into the game, after expounding on him for awhile about the survival elements. [i brought him a copy Btw, instead of talking him into getting it himself]
He's enjoying it a LOT, he's already clocked 157 hours into it, [he sated from the .55 patch, btw] and I got it for him very late last month. And he's very good at games, he's gotten into several firefights, and usually comes out on top. He's gotten owned by KoSers, and then hunted them down and rektd them, for the most part.
But, he really is a nice guy, and from what he tells me, he YEARNS for the immersive wonderful typical social interactions accosiated with DayZ.
He's luckily had several in the meantime, but in general, .57 is the worst time for it right now.
It's a damn shame.

Edited by Deadjuice

.57 has broken quite a few things for me. I'm more worried about getting the fundamentals right again before the zed count gets upped. 

At the moment the inventory is buggered, the hot bar is buggered, things are disappearing when you drop them again, items are not returning to the inventory reserved slots like they should, zeds are clipping through walls etc etc. Not the best results for me for this patch unfortunately. 

However, I do love a lot of the new items they've introduced. :)

• Like 2

I posed the same question a week ago in this forum and it was deemed to be a useless and meaningless post and the entire thread was shit-canned even though only one response was negative. What I get is that players DO want to see more zombies or infected but hey its not my call.  But it seems to me that a world with zombies, wild dogs, wolves, bears, aggressive hogs, and crazy deer in rutting season  and KoS psychos is a full spectrum survival game.

And I don't think its a secret but the DayZ world was created by Bio weapons. Apparently the germs greased most of the population quickly and converted a large number into mindless infected cannibals that prey on the uninfected. the smallest group is the uninfected or immune humans. It seems to me that Zombies were intended to be more than a minor nuisance or annoyance. 

Edited by Xbow