Sign in to follow this  
xxdagamexx

Shooting the Mosin...

Does anyone have some tips on how to shoot the mosin while dealing with the sway. I have recently just started to use the mosin and it hasn't worked out so much. I went to some online maps to get down the meters so I know how to range them in. The sway is what is driving me nuts though. I mean I can barely run over to a spot and my guy starts to have parkinsons. I did end up killing three bandits in Berezino with it, but it took way too many shots.

Thanks!

1) Don't run and shoot?

Walk, crouch-walk, or belly-crawl into your position.

2) Use a splint or a morphine before shooting. There used to be a bug before where you could break your arm and not know it.

• Like 4

You only have a second maybe when you zoom and hold breath before the sway kicks in. I've made several 900+ meter kills in Cherno that way. Patience is key here. Also splint up if you've had recent zombie contact. Also if you get cold you will get the shakes, which is a biotch until you make a fire.

• Like 1

You only have a second maybe when you zoom and hold breath before the sway kicks in. I've made several 900+ meter kills in Cherno that way. Patience is key here. Also splint up if you've had recent zombie contact. Also if you get cold you will get the shakes, which is a biotch until you make a fire.

cool story bro  :)

• Like 2

Not my prob you can't shoot broseph. People seem to have such a hard time with it.

In general you want to be in prime condition for long range shots:

• not fatigued (move around slower or take a rest)
  • not a cannibal (brain disease makes your character twitch)
  • not cold (warm up on a fire to get rid of shaking)
  • not low on health and blood (grey and blurry does not make for good aim)

Then you want to make sure to use the optimal stance:

• prone if it does not obstruct your vision
  • otherwise crouch

And finally there is a "hold-breath" function that also reduces sway. By default it is mapped on your right mouse key so when you zoom your character will instantly hold breath making a quick shot more precise. However, you can remap the key to get more freedom when you want to get the bonus - though this might somewhat decrease your accuracy in emergency situations if you forget to press the button.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 2

Not my prob you can't shoot broseph. People seem to have such a hard time with it.

sure, hard times coming...no more longrange scopes on DAD MOSIN, have fun until next update.

hope you will tell me your experience on long range kills with the SVD. And don´t forget your splint before aiming, little tip here from my side  :P

I'm not mad that the scope is leaving the mosin, plenty of other weapons to use. I am looking forward to the SVD .  I'm sure you will complain about that too.

practice and learn the sway pattern (like shown in the video above)

Just the real players without aimbot magical sniper 900+... Is the City  and around it even 900+ :)   HAHAHAHA And we laughed

Now i know who is Ghosting me through a wall with bullets from planet Neptune...

Edited by LoveAffair

I'm not mad that the scope is leaving the mosin, plenty of other weapons to use. I am looking forward to the SVD .  I'm sure you will complain about that too.

I BET YOU ARE...

From housing bloc in Chap to Cherno grain towers are 750+ meters away. Even further for firestation. Even further for coast and docks. I play the game just like everyone else. Try not to use that suckbot so much and you won't die. Plenty of other people make these shots everyday. All I've done here is just give my two cents on sway. 

It's ok. I've dealt with your kind before. I love all ya'll.

I did end up killing three bandits in Berezino with it

I wonder, is that what they were or do we call 'em that to justify the shot? 

• Like 1

To add some perspective, I just weighed and measured my actual Mosin Nagant 91/30.  It weights in at a whopping 8.6 pounds and just over 48 inches. 

I can hold it with negligible sway standing off hand at rest.

I can do 10 pushups then some cardio exercises to get my heart rate up and still hold it fairly steady.  Anything under about 200 yards, the sway won't matter. 

At further distances it would make me look for something to brace on or to lay down.  Aiming these old WW1 and WW2 rifles isn't that much harder than much lighter modern rifles like the M4 variants, the weight is balanced near the stock end of the rifle and if held properly, sits over the shooter center of gravity with the left arm bracing what should be a balanced length.

Given that, the sway currently in game is FAR too exaggerated (unless we are talking about starving, weak, sick, urban dwellers who have no idea how to shoot and are traumatized by having to hold a rifle and are also unfortunate enough to suffer from a gross motor tic that causes constant arm movement).

• Like 1

Given that, the sway currently in game is FAR too exaggerated (unless we are talking about starving, weak, sick, urban dwellers who have no idea how to shoot and are traumatized by having to hold a rifle and are also unfortunate enough to suffer from a gross motor tic that causes constant arm movement).

Yes, it is.

But on the other hand the rifles have sights that are never out of alignment and which are somehow all in one focal plane, electronic ignition systems and bullets that are immune to any environmental factors. Making 800-meter shots is as simple as pressing PageUp a few times and clicking the mouse at the right moment.

The sway is far from perfect but sway is not the only thing to consider. It takes a lot more skill to make most any in-game shot in real life, except perhaps taking down sprinting desync bambis at close range... ha ha...

• Like 2

Just Watch This.

err, 1 nov. 2014, things may have changed...

• Like 1

I did end up killing three bandits in Berezino with it, but it took way too many shots.

Most likely there is another thread somewhere "We were shot by a bandit with a Mosin".

• Like 1

Yes, it is.

But on the other hand the rifles have sights that are never out of alignment and which are somehow all in one focal plane, electronic ignition systems and bullets that are immune to any environmental factors. Making 800-meter shots is as simple as pressing PageUp a few times and clicking the mouse at the right moment.

The sway is far from perfect but sway is not the only thing to consider. It takes a lot more skill to make most any in-game shot in real life, except perhaps taking down sprinting desync bambis at close range... ha ha...

Yes, very true.

What you are saying comes down to the balance that games like DayZ have to find; do they keep it to the real thing or to they add handicaps to account for the aspects of reality that a video game cannot reproduce?

Given this question.....I would suggest the exaggerated sway of some of the rifles is NEEDED to keep some sort of reality represented.

Yes, very true.

What you are saying comes down to the balance that games like DayZ have to find; do they keep it to the real thing or to they add handicaps to account for the aspects of reality that a video game cannot reproduce?

Given this question.....I would suggest the exaggerated sway of some of the rifles is NEEDED to keep some sort of reality represented.

I am extremely opposed to things being made inaccurate (in general, not intended to mean firearm accuracy) from how they really are for the sake of "balance".

One thing I'd really enjoy is having a rifle start either sighted in or slightly off. Running out into the woods and taking a few shots to adjust your sights so they're spot on would keep many people happy with removing such a heavy sway.

Of course, for people who don't understand the concept of making small adjustments to sights would complain that it's much too hard.

I enjoy the idea of having to zero a scope every time you remount it to a rifle.

Most likely there is another thread somewhere "We were shot by a bandit with a Mosin".

Ha, no kidding. Its all about perspective. 

I've found that if you go on low pop servers and find a snipers vantage, zombies make for great target practice. Play with the "page up-page down" buttons to get your elevation and you'll eventually get the feel of it. The more I practice the luckier I get. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the tips. I used it in my last session and got a kill from about 500-600 meters it was great. 

To add some perspective, I just weighed and measured my actual Mosin Nagant 91/30.  It weights in at a whopping 8.6 pounds and just over 48 inches. 

I can hold it with negligible sway standing off hand at rest.

I can do 10 pushups then some cardio exercises to get my heart rate up and still hold it fairly steady.  Anything under about 200 yards, the sway won't matter. 

At further distances it would make me look for something to brace on or to lay down.  Aiming these old WW1 and WW2 rifles isn't that much harder than much lighter modern rifles like the M4 variants, the weight is balanced near the stock end of the rifle and if held properly, sits over the shooter center of gravity with the left arm bracing what should be a balanced length.

10 pushups and some cardio. come on.

ruck at a 12 min pace for 4 miles. (45lbs + water)

then

do 3 sets of max pushups (muscle failure) (your 20secs of rest inbetween sets is flutter kicks.)

then

30 burpies (without stopping.)

then

sprint 100 meters and aim at a moving target.

no rest in between.

get back to me on what kind of off hand sway you have, I've done whats listed above.

also, an m4 also weights right around 8lbs with an optic and 30 round mag, though, not as long.